Life After Marathons: A Running/barre3/Coffee/Life Journal

Hope the new shoes work out! I hate when styles change or get discontinue, makes life so difficult.

I‘m not a huge hockey fan, but it’s nice to have back as an option!

I submitted this guy for reimbursement today:
View attachment 550218

That's the New Balance 1080v10. Not a lightweight shoe (heavier than my Asics). I realized that I'd rather have 2 not-lightweight shoes that work than spend forever looking for the right lightweight shoe. Hopefully these will work okay. I tried the 1080 in-store two years ago when I was looking for marathon shoes and liked them but didn't want another pair of New Balance (at the time I was running in the Zante and the 880). I've retired all of my other New Balance shoes, so I guess it was time to try another one. Hopefully these will work out.

Do you know by any chance if they run the same as the 880s size-wise? I’m wanting to get a 2nd pair of shoes to put in rotation, and I have my fantasy football winnings to spend (if my nephew ever gets me the money.) I stopped at my local running store and they said some guy had come in that morning and bought all 54 pairs they had in stock. 😱

Hope the new shoes work out! I hate when styles change or get discontinue, makes life so difficult.
Thanks! Yeah, I was pretty bummed that they discontinued the Zantes, since I liked those a lot.

Do you know by any chance if they run the same as the 880s size-wise? I’m wanting to get a 2nd pair of shoes to put in rotation, and I have my fantasy football winnings to spend (if my nephew ever gets me the money.) I stopped at my local running store and they said some guy had come in that morning and bought all 54 pairs they had in stock. 😱

I think so, but I haven't worn the 880s in a few years. Last time I tried on the 1080s was when I was wearing the 880s and the same size fit fine. But I know the 880 has changed since then (or at least the cushioning has) and I know that sometimes sizing changes between models, so I don't know for sure.

Also ... I'm very curious why this one guy needs 54 pairs of shoes.

I've retired all of my other New Balance shoes, so I guess it was time to try another one. Hopefully these will work out.
I tried a pair of New Balance 1080's a few years back and did not stick with them. At the time, I felt it was a drastic change for me from the 840s and went back to what I knew; the 840s. Let us know how they work out. I may give them another shot.

ME TOO! He bought all of the men’s and all of the women’s, so I’m guessing they’re for like...a running club? To donate? To re-sell? Even the guys at the store thought it was kind of odd.
My guess is that it's for a running club of some sort, but yeah, we'll never know.

I tried a pair of New Balance 1080's a few years back and did not stick with them. At the time, I felt it was a drastic change for me from the 840s and went back to what I knew; the 840s. Let us know how they work out. I may give them another shot.
My understanding of New Balance is that shoes with the same last 2 digits are the "type" of shoe and the first digit (or two) is the "level" (the higher number shoes are the higher-end more tech shoes). So 1080 should be pretty similar to the 880s, which I've worn before, but different than the 840, which is a different type of shoe. So it'll be less of a drastic change for me. But I'll let you know if I think they're a must-try.

HOW. How?!?! Incredible.
Sheer stubbornness and reminding myself that I had run 10 miles once in November so I could probably still do it. Also, this was the day everyone came back to work after being out for a week or two so I didn't really want to have to deal with people at work after a few weeks of quiet (even though I had run into problems when other people were out that I needed people's help with). So I was trying to delay work.

2021 Activity Tracker Week 2 - January 11th, 2021 - January 17th, 2021

Y'all, I'm typing this from my new computer and while I'm excited to be back on a PC (yay Windows!) and have a number pad on my keyboard (haven't had that in many years), I also don't know where half the keys are on this keyboard so we'll see how this update goes (I already had copy and paste issues). The buttons are very different than the Macbook and I forgot how annoying it is to switch between Macbook keyboard and PC keyboard. But the good news is that this dude has an HDMI port so I can plug it into the monitor!

Monday:
  • 4.17 mile run, 54:18 minutes, 13:02 min/mi avg pace. Did this guy in the Fresh Foam Tempo and officially decided that they were getting returned (will drop them off at UPS tomorrow).
Tuesday:
  • barre3 with Kelly Livestream - 60-minute class. I love Kelly, but lately her classes haven't been great for me. I've been turning my camera off mid-class for most of the last few classes I took with her. So if I take her again soon I may just start with my camera off and see if that helps, and if it doesn't, then I'll reschedule a bit to avoid her classes for a few weeks (I've done that before with instructors whose classes just aren't clicking with me and usually the few weeks off helps me get re-energized for that instructor).
  • 32 minute walk, 1.63 miles
Wednesday:
  • 5.24 mile run, 1:07:54 hours, 12:57 min/mi avg pace. 2.62 miles x 2 for my 2nd marathoniversary. I started this one in the new Adidas but didn't even get a full block before I knew they weren't gonna work. But I did run down to the Disney store to see Mickey for my marathoniversary.

Thursday:
  • barre3 Online - 30-minute class
Friday:
  • 2.27 miles, 31:37 minutes, 13:55 min/mi avg pace
Saturday:
  • Rest Day!
Sunday:
  • barre3 with Vicky Livestream - 60-minute class
  • 26 minute walk, 1.49 miles
Total Running:
3 runs, 11.68 miles, 2:33:52 hours

Total barre3:
2 Livestream classes
0 Pre-Recorded classes
1 online class
Total time: ~ 2:30 hours

Walks:
2 walks, 58 minutes

Active Minutes: 54 + 92 + 68+ 30+ 31 + 0 + 86= 361minutes
Total 2021 Active Minutes: 952/7800 (12.2% ... I'm a little ahead of schedule)

Something definitely happened this week but I don't know what it was. I need to write things down when they happen so that I remember to share them here.

Oh, I think I figured out my running schedule for the next few months. It's a three week cycle, with a "peak" week, a step down week, and a step up week. Each week will have 3 runs, and while two of the three runs will be the same for all weeks, there will be one different run. Here's what I'm thinking:
"Peak" Week: 8-10 miles, 5 miles, 3 miles
Step Down Week: 5 miles, 4 miles, 3 miles
Step Up Week: 7 miles, 5 miles, 3 miles

There's no science or logic behind this, just some thoughts, but I think it will work. Hopefully.

Also, fun fact: I forgot that windows keyboards have "home" and "end" buttons. On a mac you need to push multiple buttons to get to the beginning and end of a line (I think ... maybe just to highlight to the beginning and end you need multiple keys?). Anyway ... I keep trying to use spotlight, but other than that, so far this PC thing is working out (I literally started setting it up an hour and a half ago so you're getting a real-time live report here).

I think I may have lost my INKnBURN mask. I put it in my pocket to have as an extra mask but then it wasn't in my pocket so it may have fallen out when I took out my gloves.
I don't know if I'm going to replace it. I liked it, but I don't know that I liked it enough to buy another one. And I do now have other masks.
We'll see. Maybe I'll find it. Or maybe I'll discover that I miss it so much that I want to replace it.

2021 Activity Tracker Week 3 - January 18th, 2021 - January 24th, 2021

Monday:
  • 7.01 mile run, 1:36:43 hours, 13:48 min/mi avg pace. Had off from work. I've been struggling a lot with the fact that because of running and early b3 I'm getting up the same time on days that I don't work as I do on days when I do work, and this run was kind of just a reminder of that. Sigh.
Tuesday:
  • barre3 with Jordan Livestream - 45-minute class. Jordan is a new-to-me instructor (from the parent studio) and I loved her class!
Wednesday:
  • 1.72 mile run, 22:03 minutes, 12:47 min/mi avg pace. Attempted to run in the snow. Turns out, I'm not a fan. At first the snow was getting in my eyes, so I put on sunglasses, and then I just couldn't see.
  • barre3 Online - 30-minute class

Thursday:
  • barre3 with Kelly Livestream - 60-minute class. I left my camera off the whole time and it was much better than my last few classes with Kelly.
Friday:
  • barre3 Online - 30-minute class. I was too tired to outside but also needed to be "at" work before 8:30 so I didn't have time for 8:15 barre3 livestream. Solution was an online class. Probably should have outsided, tbh.
Saturday:
  • Rest Day!
Sunday:
  • 5.08 mile run, 1:03:39 hours, 12:31 min/mi avg pace. I contemplated running longer (and actually went to the reservoir to do a 1.59 mi lap), but I got tired. Also contemplated doing something in the afternoon, but I did meal prep instead.
Total Running:
3 runs, 13.81 miles, 3:02:25 hours

Total barre3:
2 Livestream classes
0 Pre-Recorded classes
2 online class
Total time: ~ 2:45 hours

Walks:
0 walks

Active Minutes: 97 + 45 + 52+ 60+ 30 + 0 + 64 = 348 minutes
Total 2021 Active Minutes: 1300/7800 (16.7%)

This week, y'all. Nothing too big happened, I just had a lot of little things going on.

I've noticed lately that some of my running skirts seem to be falling down (not sure if they got stretched out in the wash or if it has to do with how they interact with the underlayers), so I did some research. The skirts I like are 18" long. Nobody else seems to make skirts that long, but Bolder Athletic Wear (formerly Sparkle Skirts) makes some 16.5-17" skirts and DonaJo makes some 17" skirts. So I have to see if I'm willing to try either of those. I happen to really like the length of my skirts and I think even an inch shorter wouldn't work for me. I do have one Sparkle Athletic skirt that is super short that I wear occasionally but really isn't a comfortable length for me (I can tolerate it for shorter runs, but it annoys me). So I gotta think about this.

I've noticed lately that some of my running skirts seem to be falling down (not sure if they got stretched out in the wash or if it has to do with how they interact with the underlayers), so I did some research. The skirts I like are 18" long. Nobody else seems to make skirts that long, but Bolder Athletic Wear (formerly Sparkle Skirts) makes some 16.5-17" skirts and DonaJo makes some 17" skirts. So I have to see if I'm willing to try either of those. I happen to really like the length of my skirts and I think even an inch shorter wouldn't work for me. I do have one Sparkle Athletic skirt that is super short that I wear occasionally but really isn't a comfortable length for me (I can tolerate it for shorter runs, but it annoys me). So I gotta think about this.
For the Bolder Athletic Wear skirts you could do an individual custom and add an inch to the length (or tell them how long you want it). Of course any customization just adds to the cost.
I think you‘ve tried on their skirts before?? Anyways, I end up adding a lock lace inside the waist pocket which helps keep the skirt from sliding when it is layered over tights. I don’t know if maybe you could do this with your current skirts??

For the Bolder Athletic Wear skirts you could do an individual custom and add an inch to the length (or tell them how long you want it). Of course any customization just adds to the cost.
I think you‘ve tried on their skirts before?? Anyways, I end up adding a lock lace inside the waist pocket which helps keep the skirt from sliding when it is layered over tights. I don’t know if maybe you could do this with your current skirts??

Ah, good call on the custom length, I totally forgot that's an option. Hmm. I actually have not tried on their skirts before (there have been several situations when I was going to but didn't), which makes customs a little more difficult (in terms of sizing at least). I'm thinking maybe I'll get a relatively cheap skirt on sale and then if that size works, go for a custom for my next skirt. Or maybe I'll gamble with the sizing. Something to think about.
I should look into if a lock lace would be an option with my current skirts, even if only as a temporary solutions.

2021 Activity Tracker Week 4 - January 25th, 2021 - January 31st, 2021

Monday:
  • 5.04 mile run, 1:05:23 hours, 12:58 min/mi avg pace. I was scheduled for 8 miles but my knee started hurting early, and since this was the second run in a row where that happened (in different shoes, so its not the shoes), I decided to cut it short. Decided to modify this week and next week to "step down" weeks (5mi/4mi/3mi) and I'll go back to the regular rotation when I get out of quarantine. I ended up not even doing that, but it's fine
Tuesday:
  • barre3 with Katie Livestream - 60-minute class. This felt much better than most of my recent barre3 classes, which was nice.
Wednesday:
  • 1:48 hour walk, 6.59 miles. That distance is wrong. I had to meet up with my brother in midtown to get some stuff from him, so I walked there and back. Could have run down and walked back (I wasn't running back while carrying stuff), but oh well.
  • barre3 with Jess Livestream - 60-minute class

Thursday:
  • 4.01 mile run, 52:14 minutes, 13:02 min/mi avg pace. Ran in the new shoes. Forgot that I wanted to take a picture of them. Shoes were super bouncy (if they're keepers, their name will be a play on "More Bounce in California"), but my left toes felt squished and the underside of the forefoot felt a little weird on that side. Almost felt like the left shoe was too small, but the right shoe was fine. Gonna try relacing them to see if I can make that work. Overall, I liked the shoes. Definitely different than the 880s, but good.
Friday:
  • barre3 with Jenna Livestream- 60-minute class. I was off from work (corporate wellness day) so I had time for a barre3 livestream before I had to go get my COVID test.
Saturday:
  • barre3 Online - 30-minute class. Forced myself to do this even though I wasn't feeling it and I'm glad I did.
Sunday:
  • Rest Day! Had an early Amtrak to Philly, so I didn't really have time for anything in the morning.
Total Running:
2 runs, 9.05 miles, 1:57:37 hours

Total barre3:
3 Livestream classes
0 Pre-Recorded classes
1 online class
Total time: ~ 3:30 hours

Walks:
1 walks, 1:48

Active Minutes: 65 + 60 + 168+ 52+ 60 + 30 + 0 = 435 minutes
Total 2021 Active Minutes: 1735/7800 (22.2%)

Just a follow-up on running skirts: It seems like they fit okay with two pairs of pants underneath. So yay super cold weather? Gonna keep contemplating what to do for a bit and maybe make a decision after it warms up a drop.

I'm in Philly with my sister now (in case you couldn't tell from the Sunday update) and between the snow and being on someone else's schedule (and Beth has been home from work for a few days for snow + was already planning on talking off tomorrow), I think this will be a very light exercise week. I'm back in NYC next Sunday afternoon and in quarantine for 10 days, so we'll see how that goes. I think February overall will be a lighter month than January, but that's fine.
Also, gotta think about what my February goal will be. I was too busy at the end of January to think about it. I'm thinking something about either sleep or work-life balance, but I'll think about it more over the next few days and update y'all when I've decided.

I'm thinking something about either sleep or work-life balance, but I'll think about it more over the next few days and update y'all when I've decided.
I think the wisdom of Seinfeld applies here.

"I love a good nap. Sometimes it's the only thing that gets me out of bed in the morning."

Also I may or may not have discussed the power of naps with Sleeping Beauty. As you might imagine, she is a big proponent of naps.

I think the wisdom of Seinfeld applies here.

"I love a good nap. Sometimes it's the only thing that gets me out of bed in the morning."
The wisdom if Seinfeld always applies. Naps are really the only good thing about getting out of bed. I love naps. I should take more naps.

Also I may or may not have discussed the power of naps with Sleeping Beauty. As you might imagine, she is a big proponent of naps.
Sleeping Beauty is a very smart princess ... she knows all the good sleep habits. I love that you've discussed that with her.

Sleeping Beauty is a very smart princess ... she knows all the good sleep habits. I love that you've discussed that with her.
She's very underrated in the smarts department. People often forget just how important sleep is for recovery. Also she once asked if I was a Jedi.

Thursday:
  • 4.01 mile run, 52:14 minutes, 13:02 min/mi avg pace. Ran in the new shoes. Forgot that I wanted to take a picture of them. Shoes were super bouncy (if they're keepers, their name will be a play on "More Bounce in California"), but my left toes felt squished and the underside of the forefoot felt a little weird on that side. Almost felt like the left shoe was too small, but the right shoe was fine. Gonna try relacing them to see if I can make that work. Overall, I liked the shoes. Definitely different than the 880s, but good.

• I agree that they definitely feel different than the 880s! My 1080s arrived yesterday and I feel like I’m struggling with the stretchy laces and how tightly to lace my shoe. I wore them for a good 5 hours around the house and I think I re-tied the right shoe 4x trying to figure out where the sweet spot.

• I agree that they definitely feel different than the 880s! My 1080s arrived yesterday and I feel like I’m struggling with the stretchy laces and how tightly to lace my shoe. I wore them for a good 5 hours around the house and I think I re-tied the right shoe 4x trying to figure out where the sweet spot.

I haven't gotten around to retying the shoes yet (and since I'm likely not running again for another few weeks because snow + schedule + quarantine I don't know when I will), but it's definitely gonna take me some time to find the right way to lace them. I want them to be tight but not too tight ... right now the left one is too tight. It's gonna be fun. But I like these shoes and I want to try to make them work.

More on this next week once I'm back in NYC, but I think I'm going rouge with the February goal and doing something meal planning related. It will start next week because I'm not home right now. Also, I'm gonna be at my parents' for at least a few days, maybe even over a week. So not the best month to focus on meal planning. But I was really bad about meal planning in January and I want to get back into it, so I'm gonna try.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter