Lilo & Stitch Characters - Just Awful

Braque

It's the truth. It's actual.
Truly a disappointment. After thoroughly enjoying the movie, I looked forward to seeing the characters in the park(s). This seems to be subjugation of the magic to the dollar in it’s worst form. These are horrible looking representations of the characters. Lilo’s head is too big and Stitch’s head is clearly much too small. Stitch’s body appears to be a loosely draped sack, equivalent to the most modest Disney Store Halloween offerings- or worse, standard Six Flags fare.

Why couldn’t Lilo be a real girl - this would have worked so well with the Stitch character. I’ve got a child on the verge of questioning the reality of ‘Mickey’. I’m glad we are not going to WDW this summer, because seeing this twosome would definitely have put her over the edge. I would not even know where to begin to defend these characterizations to her and salvage the
‘magic’.

Granted, I have not had the opportunity to see L&S in person and perhaps (hoping) this photograph is not a good representation. Any possibility that these characters will begin to morph into something more Disney appropriate - other opinions on this matter?

If my little ones got theirselves that worked up about how these characters look, I would most likely just say to them "get over it". I think they look ok. I think it would be hard to have Lilo represented in "human" form as it would most likely have to be a child doing it, and that I don't think we'll see. JMHO

Greg...

Sometimes there's more in someone's sig than you might have expected when messing with your settings...

-WFH

PS: Smiley embargo still in full effect.

Toonfinder site: http://www.toonfinder.com/lilostitch.jpg

Mickey - Isn't Alice a young girl? I hope to preserve the magic with my kids for as long as possible. Telling them to 'get over it' at 7yo equates with telling them to 'go knock on Mickey's head' - C'mon!

As a parent of two young daughters, I say unequivocally that they are where my magic lies. And I will try to preserve that for as long as I can.

Stitch is bad. Lilo. Eh, it's Okay.

They look the same in the park as they do in Braque's photo (or at least they did about a month ago...)

Mr. Head, I guess it's a tradeoff. I don't have to scroll past someone's list of every trip they've made since WDW opened, the entire script to Lady and the Tramp or 16 different photos of Buzz Lightyear. On the other hand, once in a while I make a gaff like this. PS, observing your smilie embargo.

Braque, I expected much worse from your description. Stitch is on par with Chip and Dale - same basic costume.

Lilo is 6 years old (I think), doesn't make much sense to have a girl that age play her. Plus, she's drawn as a bit of a characature in the film. Larger head, very wide eyes, large nose. Alice and Wendy are about 16 and drawn to look like they would appear in real life, different situation entirely.

Lilo appears to me to be younger than Alice, and not as easy to replicate in "human" form as to the looks etc. Alice comes off pretty good as depicted at WDW in "human" form. I just don't see my youngsters getting that upset at how Lilo and Stitch are presented. They would just be happy to see them. Its not like they look nothing like in the movie.

7 year olds can understand sometimes much more than we give them credit for. If a character such as Santa, Mickey or whomever "lives" in their hearts in a special place, they will never stop "believing" even when they are at the brink of reallizing that these characters are "not real". To me, that is important, what is in our hearts and memories for years to come, not the issue if these charactes really "exist". I NEVER told my kids there is no Santa or Mickey, and of course they KNOW these are not real characters, but in their heart, they will always believe and therefore they "exist" in their hearts and they are carrying on the "magic", and with that the magic lies with ME.

Actually, after doing a modest bit of research: "Alice is a seven-year-old English girl" - I could still be wrong. I just thought that little girls would really relate to a young-ish sixteen year old Hawaiian native playing Lilo as a face character. The very small ones wouldn't notice. Just like they don't notice the 22YO playing Wendy - the relationships between kids and face characters is undeniably special.

Actually the depiction of Stitch bothers me more.

Mickey - I hope that when my kids corner me, at last, on the existence of Mickey and Santa, etc., I can remember your elogent words.

I hope that your little ones keep these characters in their hearts always, even as adults! Its ok to know that characters are "make believe", but to still have that love in your heart for them even as you grow older is special.

Was not sure of Alice's true age, but I still just think she comes off a little better as a human, and Lilo just has that cartoonish look to her and is better of as they have done her.

Ok, done soap boxing....again all with me is JMHO.

Oh my god, those are awful! I know Disney can do so much better, and as a costumer I'm embarrassed for them. Ugh.

Well, since I seem to be persona non grata around here today, I should probably keep my mouth shut but...

If Disney were to make a more realistic size head for Stitch, I wonder what the effect would be on the CM inside the costume. I wouldn't want a CM to strain a back muscle trying to manuever Stitch's head.

max........

there you go, offending aliens by making comments about their head sizes. Are you not aware that that is a no-no. How can you be so reckless as you are sure to start an intergalactic feud. I'm sure the first place they go after will be a Disney Store as all that light colored plush will make an outstanding target and no one will be wearing a Stitch costume to throw them off.

Stitch looks like Timon with a dye job and funny ears. His head does need to be bigger. I assumed he would be shorter.

Lilo could use a little work, and I agree that it wouldn't be possible to find a "human" to portray her very well... would have to be a human with a really big nose, muppet mouth and short squatty body.

If they do find that many guests are upset by their appearance, I'm sure you'll see changes (hopefully there will be changes even if no one gets upset).

I think Stitch looks terrible. I love Stitch and think he is the coolest character in years! But, I don't like the "costume".
He should be smaller than her and have a bigger head.
Disney did a great job with Scully and Mike from Monsters Inc. So why couldn't they do better here??
JMHO.

Kamy

Isn't Stitch supposed to be the size of a dog anyway? Can't a 'height challenged' person play that part? It looked like Mike from Monsters was the appropriate size.

I have not seen them in person, but from the photos Lilo is ok I guess but Stitch looks awfull. I loved the character in the movie as well. I think with as many cm's and as many people they can draw to a casting call, they could get someone of a better height.

Has anyone seen them in person yet? Is Stitch good or bratty? I would think that one could have a lot of fun behaving like Stitch on coffee even if only for 30 min a day ;)

Originally posted by Braque
Actually, after doing a modest bit of research: "Alice is a seven-year-old English girl" - I could still be wrong.

Alice is thirteen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter