Limited Time Magic ..... just a huge disappointment!

I never saw this as a major promotion in the first place. I didn't think of it as 2013's version of "YoaMD" or "100 Years of Magic". I just thought of it as a small extra add-on that was better than nothing.

I just came home last night, and this week there wasn't *any* special event. No harm done. We got the last couple days of "long lost friends", but I don't think I ever saw them. (Had Esmeralda been among them, I might have made more of an effort.)

So I guess the answer is no - I'm not disappointed, because I never saw it as a big deal to start with.

I also agree.

Here is the thing. Disney flat out doesn't have to do any of these things. However, guests have come to "expect" something awesome. It is the guests who set their expectations. No one else.

I think Disney shot themselves in the foot with things like "Year of a Million Dreams" (x2). Set the bar too high for themselves. So now that they are doing smaller events and promotions, guests are upset. Guests need to readjust their expectations some now.

Yeah, if you think in terms of the committed Disney fans on this kind of board and live far away. For us it's a disappointment.

But for the potential audience whose never been there and locals this is freaking brilliant marketing. Basically Disney gets to make a new announcement every week making the parks sound like they are constantly changing and there is always something be, exciting and fresh to be discovered. Freaking brilliant.

It doesn't work well on those of us who have been fans but think of the effect they are trying to have someone whose never been there or someone who lives close. They hope locals will come for an extra visit and new people will come because they could get something special when they are there. Yep, clever marketing to specific target audiences.

Not necessarily a local, but an AP holder within driving distance. Yes, I did take an extra trip for Long Lost Friends week. But soup? Think I'll just go to Panera's instead, where I don't have to ride a tram in from my parking spot.

In the running for

WORST

DISNEY

PROMOTION

EVER.

Don't know much about this promotion (been gone for a few months), but I doubt anything could be worse than the "free on your birthday" promotion from a couple years back.

I don't get it. What is the big deal about these things anyway? What do they do... a different show each year or something like that? I remember a time where they turned the castle into a giant cake, is this something similar?

I just go for the rides man....

Shhhh, please, we do not discuss "The Cake".

"I bet when you buy a hat like that you get a free bowl of soup..."

It's not like you can even plan a trip to be there to catch a specific promotion. So if we plan on going in, say the last week of July, you're only going to get what they give you.

With my luck, it'll be Limited Time Tongue Bath from Stitch...

Are there at least any pics of the February selections for Year if the Ears couture hats?

Here4mydisneyfix said:
...well it'd be *slightly* more magical if it was FREE soup...but no, we have to pay (big bucks I'm sure based on the mention of lobster bisque!) for our "magical" soup.....watch out folks, the soup is probably "limited" (in quantity) too. :rotfl2:

I'm curious if the soup is the same dates as the parades or only Sunday? The wording is ambiguous...

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not "upset" about getting soup for my limited time magic week. (I'm actually just shaking my head and trying not to laugh every time I think about it,) I'm not feeling "entitled" or thinking Disney owes me something special. I'm just a little stunned that this is the best that a huge corporation that's built on entertaining people can come up with! It really is kind of pathetic. Didn't they have some big event back in fall to announce Limited Time Magic? I feel like they did sort of promise something at least a little bit special when they had a media event with a big ice castle and all. Think about it: would you rather have someone tell you they're giving you a gift, then give you a piece of junk that they obviously had lying around anyway and put no thought into, or just have no promises and no gift? If you're not going to put any effort into something, why make the promise?

So to sum up: Am I disappointed? No, didn't really plan my trip around it or anything.

Do I think it's unbelievably lame? Oh heck, yes!

My boyfriend and I are here at WDW until Feb.10. I'm not sure if this was part of the LM or not but in the MK they were bringing out "Long Lost Friends" characters for meet and greets. Thought that was kind of fun since I got to see Robin Hood and the crew, a childhood favourite.

Now, can someone please please tell me where I can keep up with the Limited Magic events?! I would really like to know what's going on.

I think LM is Disney's way of market testing. Bring out/back a character, an experience see how people like it. Essentially, they're throwing everything to the wall to see what sticks.

Don't know much about this promotion (been gone for a few months), but I doubt anything could be worse than the "free on your birthday" promotion from a couple years back.

What was wrong with that? I'd rather get in free on my birthday than have the opportunity to buy over priced soup.

There ARE commercials on TV about it. I have seen them quite a few times. I don't watch the Disney Channel at all, so they are on different channels. Next time I see one, I'll take note of what we're watching.

The whole promotion is just lame. I would have just ignored it had the subject not come up here. Never occurred to me to be disappointed or anything.

"I bet when you buy a hat like that you get a free bowl of soup..."

I'm thinking a hat FILLED with free soup.

EarHat_Soup_zpsa7c28ef8.jpg

We got limited time snow in Canada. It made me laugh bc we left Ohio to get away from snow in January. That would have been much more fun in July!

So let's see.....

Disney wants to implement FP+ and limit my headline ride access, but be very happy for the new folks who will be given those slots.

And if my long-planned trip happens to hit right AFTER one of the good LTM promotions, I guess Disney expects me to just be happy the folks there the week before got to see something cool.

They are execting too much of me.

I think the real problem with this promotion is that the average DISer could come up with 52 better ideas than Disney has been offering. Its the lack of perceived effort that is disappointing, if you are going to do something, you should do it well.

I think the real problem with this promotion is that the average DISer could come up with 52 better ideas than Disney has been offering. Its the lack of perceived effort that is disappointing, if you are going to do something, you should do it well.

Yep, this! Well said!

I'm most disappointed in the "limited" magic that involves offering things I must buy - I do that every trip - but it's amusing to me that someone at WDW thought that could/should be marketed as a "magical" promotion.:confused3

CandleontheWater said:

This.

Posted from my iPhone using DISBoards

I doubt anything could be worse than the "free on your birthday" promotion from a couple years back
I loved that promotion, but that is because I actually went on my birthday! We had multi-day tickets, so I got a gift card for the price of one day (I think it was $70 at the time.) I bought myself some Laila perfume from Norway with it :) but we could have used it on anything. That promotion was great for us!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter