Live Trip Report: Backstage Magic Jan 2024

Julia M

DIS Veteran<br><font color =red>not clever, not wi
My first ABD trip! We are taking the Backstage Magic trip, starting Sunday January 14, 2024. We’re driving to LA Friday, staying in Simi Valley and visiting the Reagan Library Saturday morning (I’m a huge history buff and my goal is to go to all of them, and despite being a native Californian I’ve never been to the two in California!!). Saturday evening my dh got me Eagles tickets for Christmas (my favorite band of all time).

Sunday we drive to the Grand Californian to park our car and start the tour!

I’ve never been on an ABD tour, although I’ve been to DL too many times to count, WDW maybe 8 or 10 times and sailed on DCL three times. So we are relatively Disney savvy.

I’ve seen people put in “spoiler” passages….I’m not sure how to do that, so if someone would like to direct me, that would be great. I know it must have to be one of the icons in the tool bar.

If you click the three dots next to the smiley face, the eye with the line through it is spoilers. Click on it. Between the words (spoiler) and (/spoiler) type in what you want to hide/the spoilers. In reality it will have brackets, not parenthesis, but I wanted to give you an idea of what it looks like without creating a spoiler.

Day -1
We had an easy drive down 101 from the Bay Area to Camarillo. We stopped there to visit a couple of stores at the Outlet Mall and to eat at Cracker Barrel. I am rather obsessed with this restaurant, probably in part because we never had any in our area, in part because they have such cute items in their store and then because it was a place we always went when going to Nationals with my daughter, so it had such good memories.
We then made our way to Simi Valley and checked into a hotel. Tomorrow we’ll head to the Reagan Library and then drive to Inglewood.

My first ABD trip! We are taking the Backstage Magic trip, starting Sunday January 14, 2024. We’re driving to LA Friday, staying in Simi Valley and visiting the Reagan Library Saturday morning (I’m a huge history buff and my goal is to go to all of them, and despite being a native Californian I’ve never been to the two in California!!). Saturday evening my dh got me Eagles tickets for Christmas (my favorite band of all time).

I’ve never been on an ABD tour, although I’ve been to DL too many times to count, WDW maybe 8 or 10 times and sailed on DCL three times. So we are relatively Disney savvy.

I’ve seen people put in “spoiler” passages….I’m not sure how to do that, so if someone would like to direct me, that would be great. I know it must have to be one of the icons in the tool bar.
See you Sunday- we are on this trip too! It's a redo of our son 's canceled ABD for high school grad in 2020. He just graduated college and after this he drives to Florida to start Disney College Program.

Day 0
We got up lazily and went to a local coffee shop right next to the hotel: Makenna Koffee Bar.
https://www.makennakoffee.com
It was beach themed and cute and the coffee was good. They have their own “Maui milk” that is added to some of the coffee drinks as well as a “Kona cloud” floater on top. They also have a variety of Red Bull drinks (We don’t drink Red Bull so didn’t try these). They also had yummy treats but I was still full from last nights Cracker Barrel indulgence. We travel quite a bit now that we are retired and one thing I enjoy is hitting local coffee shops (and wineries, but that’s for another day).

IMG_1635.jpeg

IMG_1636.jpeg

IMG_1637.jpeg

Enjoy your trip! Sounds like you are off to a great start. We did this one last year in May (2023). My husband is also a native Californian, and in fact lived in LA for a time. Before the trip he was not overly enthused about the Hollywood portion, but was very pleasantly surprised! I am sure you will love you.

Following along on your report!

We then headed to the Reagan Library. I’ve been to 5 of the 14 libraries (Clinton, Truman, Johnson and both Bush) so this will be number 6. My goal is to complete my passport, as well as visit the presidential museums or homes for the presidents before Hoover. I’ve also been to a few of the historic homes and libraries not associated with the National Archives (like Lincoln, Grant and Jackson) but I have a long way to go!
The Reagan library is really outstanding. We spent a little over three hours there. I know that a great part of this is having lived through these events. I remember tying yellow ribbons on trees. I remember the hostages coming home.

IMG_1645.jpeg

IMG_1644.jpeg

IMG_1646.jpeg

I remember the Challenger explosion (it happened on my dads birthday).

IMG_1672.jpeg

I remember John Travolta dancing with Princess Diana!

IMG_1651.jpeg

I remember the president saying “Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall”.

This was my husbands project for many years and now my son supports the same project!

IMG_1669.jpeg

IMG_1670.jpeg

Seeing Air Force One was super cool. More amazingly, the current Air Force One is 3 times as long and has 3 levels inside.

IMG_1655.jpeg

Anyway, it was a wonderful time.
We left around 1:30 to head to Hawthorne to check into the hotel for the concert tonight.

We hung out at the hotel a bit and then Ubered to Kia Forum. Steely Dan was excellent (even if my pictures aren’t)

IMG_1681.jpeg

IMG_1741.jpeg

Then, the main event. I’m a huge Eagles fan, I want to say since about 1976. I’ve seen three previous shows, but this was special. We were so close to the stage (row 12, but on the side floor), I could see the band without the video on the screens. The show was all hits, including one Don Henley song (Boys of Summer). J.D. Souther was a surprise guest and joined for 3 songs be co-wrote

IMG_1685.jpegIMG_1709.jpegIMG_1712.jpegIMG_1723.jpeg

The venue and Eagles asked for no videotaping. Unfortunately, two people in the rows just ahead of me chose to ignore it, which resulted in security coming over multiple times and asking them to stop. I will say it seemed they looked away when virtually the whole arena seemed to video a snippet of Hotel California. My husband found that they were in concert before our trip just a little before Christmas and I am so grateful.

IMG_1739.jpeg

It took us a while to get an Uber, I assume because the hotel was only about 3 miles from the venue. But we did get a ride and were back at the hotel before midnight, ready to leave tomorrow for Anaheim.

Attachments

• IMG_1718.jpeg
    IMG_1718.jpeg
    85.1 KB · Views: 4
Thanks for doing this report!

Normally ABD provides transport from your arrival airport to the Hollywood hotel, and another car to take you from the Grand Cal to your departure airport. But you are driving. What is ABD covering for your transport? You indicated you will park at the Grand Cal. Do they cover your parking costs and transport to Hollywood?

Normally ABD provides transport from your arrival airport to the Hollywood hotel, and another car to take you from the Grand Cal to your departure airport. But you are driving. What is ABD covering for your transport? You indicated you will park at the Grand Cal. Do they cover your parking costs and transport to Hollywood?

We are able to valet park (included) at the Grand Californian and the had a small shuttle van (12 seats) transport us and a few other people to the Loews hotel. That way our car is at the Disney resort when the tour is over.

Parking at Grand Cal and a transfer to the Loews hotel is included in the trip.

My son parked his car at Grand Cal and met up with several others. They had ABD arranged transportation and valet parking from Grand to Loews.

Daily 1
Todays the day! I had originally planned to stay by Knotts Berry farm and do the chicken dinner last night and get up early and hit downtown Disney before starting the tour. But the Eagles concert last night changed our plans.
So we got up a little later, leisurely packed up and got ready and left about 10am to head to Anaheim. I received a text from Alyssa and Michael, our guides for the trip. They confirmed what we thought, that our pick up was 1pm from the Grand Californian. We figured we’d arrive by about 11:30, park the car and have a few minutes to walk around the GC.
We arrived about 11:20 after taking a side trip into the DL park parking garage (which given the fact they have a person who stops traffic so you can turn around must be a common occurrence).
There was a little confusion when we arrived at the GC. The valet didn’t have any idea of what to do with our car (someone else we met there in the tour said he was told to self park and then self park told him “no” and he returned to the valet area. Our bags were taken by the bell service and stored. We wandered around downtown Disney to go to the Disney store. I ended up with a new shirt and bought the 5 pack of lollipops (well, 4 of them) to pass out to the kids Inwirk with when I get home.
We then went to the Hearthstone bar and had a mimosa and then headed out to meet the van service (it’s basically just pass the valet area, where you pick up ride shares.
Being a Sunday, the traffic wasn’t too bad and we were quickly at the hotel. There we met the guides for our trip: Michael and Alyssa. Our bags were taken to the room, we received a letter with info and room keys, we chose our meal for the Tam O Shanter and headed up to our room.

IMG_1790.png

After settling in, we went to walk around Hollywood Avenue.
Of course, I took lots of pictures of the stars! Some older stars…

IMG_1785.jpegIMG_1784.jpeg

Lots of Disney ones!

IMG_1777.jpegIMG_1776.jpegIMG_1775.jpegIMG_1774.jpeg

We came back to the room and my husband watched the end of the Dallas-Green Bay playoff game. We then way he’d the beginning of the next game, and then headed to the welcome dinner.
It was a buffet dinner, with 3 protein options (fish, chicken and beef), Mac and cheese, vegetables and salad. Wine and beer was included as well as sodas. There were get to know you activities. Seating was assigned. There are 38 people on this trip. Three younger kids, who seemed very sweet. A range of ages and people from across the US and multiple foreign countries.
Tomorrow breakfast starts at 7am and we are meeting to start the day at 7:45. Earlier than I expected!

Alyssa was our guide for this tour in 2014! So glad she is still with ABD. She was amazing with my special needs son and there were a few things she did for him that we will never forget. Please say hi to her from Reid and family :)

I hope
Daily 1
Todays the day! I had originally planned to stay by Knotts Berry farm and do the chicken dinner last night and get up early and hit downtown Disney before starting the tour. But the Eagles concert last night changed our plans.
So we got up a little later, leisurely packed up and got ready and left about 10am to head to Anaheim. I received a text from Alyssa and Michael, our guides for the trip. They confirmed what we thought, that our pick up was 1pm from the Grand Californian. We figured we’d arrive by about 11:30, park the car and have a few minutes to walk around the GC.
We arrived about 11:20 after taking a side trip into the DL park parking garage (which given the fact they have a person who stops traffic so you can turn around must be a common occurrence).
There was a little confusion when we arrived at the GC. The valet didn’t have any idea of what to do with our car (someone else we met there in the tour said he was told to self park and then self park told him “no” and he returned to the valet area. Our bags were taken by the bell service and stored. We wandered around downtown Disney to go to the Disney store. I ended up with a new shirt and bought the 5 pack of lollipops (well, 4 of them) to pass out to the kids Inwirk with when I get home.
We then went to the Hearthstone bar and had a mimosa and then headed out to meet the van service (it’s basically just pass the valet area, where you pick up ride shares.
Being a Sunday, the traffic wasn’t too bad and we were quickly at the hotel. There we met the guides for our trip: Michael and Alyssa. Our bags were taken to the room, we received a letter with info and room keys, we chose our meal for the Tam O Shanter and headed up to our room.

View attachment 825939

After settling in, we went to walk around Hollywood Avenue.
Of course, I took lots of pictures of the stars! Some older stars…

View attachment 825940View attachment 825941

Lots of Disney ones!

View attachment 825942View attachment 825943View attachment 825944View attachment 825945

We came back to the room and my husband watched the end of the Dallas-Green Bay playoff game. We then way he’d the beginning of the next game, and then headed to the welcome dinner.
It was a buffet dinner, with 3 protein options (fish, chicken and beef), Mac and cheese, vegetables and salad. Wine and beer was included as well as sodas. There were get to know you activities. Seating was assigned. There are 38 people on this trip. Three younger kids, who seemed very sweet. A range of ages and people from across the US and multiple foreign countries.
Tomorrow breakfast starts at 7am and we are meeting to start the day at 7:45. Earlier than I expected!
To the OP - I hope you enjoyed the rest of your trip! Just curious to know how the rest of it worked out. I expect you probably got overwhelmed after the first day... Can't blame you, as the trip is pretty packed. :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter