• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Losing the Magic?

BobO- I agree that Disney maybe dropping the ball somewhat on the new rides, but I just don't feel it to the extent you do. Space needs to be a good one for me to keep that opinion.

As I've said before, I don't care who pays for the attraction. If Disney can get a sponser to pay for an attraction, they'd be insane to refuse and insist on paying themselves. But they do need to be ready to pony up if sponsers decide against spending that kind of money. I know that Disney is having a bit of a problem with this right now, but these sponsorships are really advertising costs for the sponsers, and we know that ad-spending has been down for awhile now. I don't mind if Disney waits 6 months to a year for that to turn around. No sense throwing money out the window that you can get somebody else to provide next year.

I would also disagree to the greatest extent that they have 4 incomplete parks at WDW. MK could use a tweak, but is hardly incomplete. Same with Epcot. MGM needs a little more, but again, incomplete is an unfair description. There is enough to get one's "money's worth."

AK is a somewhat different story, but I suspect that unless the feel of this park is completey scrapped, there will always be those who consider it incomplete.

I also dont care who pays for it but disneys actions the past few years shows that if a sponsor wont pay for a big attraction it just wont get done. The first 3 parks all have rides/attractions that are dated/not been replaced and i would have perferred those parks would have been given the money to update rides/add attractions than build a new park that is still incomplete and they are trying to fill the gaps with carny type attractions and not even building the section that was supposed to be a cornerstone of the park when initially announced- BK! How many decades are gonna go by till a country is added to Epcot??? Or at least replace the films in the countries???

Well, I can see both sides of the issue, (which I have a habit of doing), but, in all honesty, I think Disney World and Universal and IOA are different. Disney is not a "cutting edge" park, or at least shouldn't be dominated by it. All these "model" rides in Universal are for that park. They help that park's attendence. How many families will fly down to Orlando to see a top-rate simulation at Disney World. Disney has a different focus, in my opinion, and what the best solution for Universal may not be for Disney World.

I do agree that both parks are different but thats part of what makes each park great!! Disney used to under Walt use the latest in technology to create rides/shows, they would push the envelope, maybe not in a thrill aspect but to create unique experiences, but now it seems they are more conccerned about money. People may not realize that disney was the first park with arrow from what im told to use steel in the construction of tublar roller coaster track, so Walt wasnt afraid to use new ideas/technology to creat things for his guests. If disney hyped a new simluation ride say, a new Stars Tours pod race that would be used as part of a major pr push to get people to come, they did it when Star Tours fist opened. And aslo used TOT as part of a big pr focus to increase attendance.

I"ve been going to WDW since I was 20 in 1972 at least twice a year each year. I started losing the magic when I became a cast member one year ago. I believe like the author of this thread that some of the magic left. MGM and Animal Kingdom were not part of Uncle Walts thoughts. Arcades in each of the hotels don"t belong there. Penny Presses have become a big money making thing. The days of simplicity are gone. The days of the swan boats around the castle are gone. Make a ton of hotels and bring in a ton of people. I don"t think this was Walts dream. I can remember a magnificent candle light procession at Christmas time with a guest of honor reading the nativity at the magic kingdom for the same price as my daily ticket. Now the new money making scheme is to charge to go back for hot chocolate and artificial snow. Again the simplicity of sitting on a bench and enjoying the tree and lights around you are not enough. Charge more for a lot less...

The Disney MGM-Studios hosts a free Christmas event, the Osborne Lights, with fake snow, trees, and Christmas lights. Have you ever been to the candlelight processional at EPCOT? Featuring children's choirs and special guest readings for no addtional charge.

The candlelight processional and Osborne lights are great events and what separates disney from the rest!!! They are not to be missed but they arent free events. They are part of your admission and what disney uses's to induce visits dunring the x-mas holidays, but you have to pay to get into the park.

OK, Osborne & the Processional aren't "free" they're "for NO extra charge"...How's that? And they are examples of truly great Disney events that I think generally go unoticd by t the threepers when discussing the "downturn of Disney."
:smooth: :smooth: :bounce: :smooth: :smooth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter