Magic Bands At Aulani?

It’s beyond a question that MB’s are supported at Aulani. They sell them in Kalepa’s Store and they even will sell you an Aunty’s Beach House one for $18. You hook it up to My Disney Experience and it just works. Staff know all about them.

It’s beyond a question that MB’s are supported at Aulani. They sell them in Kalepa’s Store and they even will sell you an Aunty’s Beach House one for $18. You hook it up to My Disney Experience and it just works. Staff know all about them.
Can you expand on the setting it up on MDE? When I arrived and asked about using my magicband the front desk said they had to encode it for me, otherwise only my phone could unlock my door at that time.

Can you expand on the setting it up on MDE? When I arrived and asked about using my magicband the front desk said they had to encode it for me, otherwise only my phone could unlock my door at that time.
First make sure you’ve signed in to the Aulani website and associated your reservation with your account. Add the names of everyone in your party to the reservation. Then, install the Walt Disney World app and sign into it with the same account that you used to sign into the Aulani website. In the settings section add magic bands for the people in your account that will use them. And you’re done!

First make sure you’ve signed in to the Aulani website and associated your reservation with your account. Add the names of everyone in your party to the reservation. Then, install the Walt Disney World app and sign into it with the same account that you used to sign into the Aulani website. In the settings section add magic bands for the people in your account that will use them. And you’re done!
I would actually suggest that your MDE account along with your friends and family list are setup prior to adding the reservation to the Aulani website/app. When adding the reservation to the Aulani app or website it will ask you to match the people on your reservation to the friends and family members on your MDE account. I did this for a July trip and my magic band worked. However I had reserved two two-bedroom villas and once at Aulani my wife and I switched rooms with my parents and did it at the front desk instead of with DVC guest services as a result my magic band did not work with the new room but still worked for the old room I was originally in. So make sure any changes to your reservation are done prior to checkin.

I am surprised that you can now add the Auntie's Beach House bands to MDE. I had purchased one for my son back in 2018 and tried adding it to his MDE profile but was unable to. I ended up selecting a free green band during a future WDW trip and just swapped the pucks on both bands.

I am surprised that you can now add the Auntie's Beach House bands to MDE. I had purchased one for my son back in 2018 and tried adding it to his MDE profile but was unable to. I ended up selecting a free green band during a future WDW trip and just swapped the pucks on both bands.
Yes, we were surprised too. Like you, our previous visit was in 2018 and then we specifically asked if the Aunties MB could be used as a regular MB after the visit and they said no so we did not pay to keep it.

This time, when registering our child I asked the same question, thinking this might have changed since Aulani now supports Magic Bands, and to my great surprise they said yes it absolutely could be used as a regular MB and so we bought a second one for our other child. all the CMs there seemed knowledgeable about it. As soon as we bought them I added them both to MDE no problem.

My guess about your one that you kept from 2018 is that perhaps back then they actually registered the MBs to a MDE account that had been setup for Aunties (meaning not available for you to link to your account), and now they don’t do that?!

Yes, we were surprised too. Like you, our previous visit was in 2018 and then we specifically asked if the Aunties MB could be used as a regular MB after the visit and they said no so we did not pay to keep it.

This time, when registering our child I asked the same question, thinking this might have changed since Aulani now supports Magic Bands, and to my great surprise they said yes it absolutely could be used as a regular MB and so we bought a second one for our other child. all the CMs there seemed knowledgeable about it. As soon as we bought them I added them both to MDE no problem.

My guess about your one that you kept from 2018 is that perhaps back then they actually registered the MBs to a MDE account that had been setup for Aunties (meaning not available for you to link to your account), and now they don’t do that?!
Does that work in reverse? Like could I send my daughter to Auntie's with a WDW band?

We asked about it when we went in August, and they said the Aunty’s MBs were not compatible. Did you go just recently?

Here now. Got in last night (after a 10h flight delay) and our magic bands had no problem opening the room. Used them again at Ulu cafe for our resort mugs and then at several pool bar/restaurants. The places we've been have utilized similar touch point card readers as WDW. It's been super nice not having to carry cash or a credit card. The only think I wish they'd do is upload a photo to our profile...as I think it would help not have to carry an ID for liquor purchase....kinda how DAS does it.

We have ressies at both restaurants and plan to shop at both stores. I'll report back if anywhere does NOT take them.

Last edited:
Here now. Got in last night (after a 10h flight delay) and our magic bands had no problem opening the room. Used them again at Ulu cafe for our resort mugs and then at several pool bar/restaurants. The places we've been have utilized similar touch point card readers as WDW. It's been super nice not having to carry cash or a credit card. The only think I wish they'd do is upload a photo to our profile...as I think it would help not have to carry an ID for liquor purchase....kinda how DAS does it.

Iwe have ressies at both restaurants and plan to shop at both stores. I'll report back if anywhere does NOT take them.

I also wish your discounts were already connected.

We just checked in, and our magic bands do indeed work everywhere. The cast member who checked us in told me that most guests need to have them activated, so we just gave her ours to save us a trip back down should they not have unlocked our room.

There is not, however, a single magic band currently being sold on property. The guy in the main store told me that they “were not available at the moment.”

We just checked in, and our magic bands do indeed work everywhere. The cast member who checked us in told me that most guests need to have them activated, so we just gave her ours to save us a trip back down should they not have unlocked our room.

There is not, however, a single magic band currently being sold on property. The guy in the main store told me that they “were not available at the moment.”
Do you have kids with you? Curious if WDW-purchased bands work for kids at Aunty's.

Do you have kids with you? Curious if WDW-purchased bands work for kids at Aunty's
Sorry, no kids! I do think it’s a little weird that, finally, all the employees know about magic bands, they seem to have ironed out the technological issues, yet still it’s impossible to buy one! We bought new ones online before arriving.

As I said in an earlier comment on this thread, if you go to Auntie’s Beach House they will sell you an Aunties-themed MB there for $19 (unless this has changed since mid October).

As I said in an earlier comment on this thread, if you go to Auntie’s Beach House they will sell you an Aunties-themed MB there for $19 (unless this has changed since mid October).
But if those were intended for adults as well, why aren’t they available in the stores, or by the pool, and why was I told they were not available? Is it supposed to be a secret? And since we don’t have kids, an Aunties themed MB might be a bit of a hard sell.

Not suggesting you’re incorrect, it just seems to me that if they've gone to the effort to integrate magic bands into the Aulani infrastructure, they’d make more of an effort to sell them, and there’d be at least some variety. Maybe the bands are still being rolled out, or in the testing phase. I don’t see a lot of folks wearing them.

In any event, MBs here are very convenient! No more having to wear a lanyard for the plastic room key! On a completely different note, which has nothing to do with this, two monk seals swam up onto the beach just up from the Four Seasons yesterday for a siesta. The area was roped off, but they were fun to watch from a safe distance.

Awesome. I didn’t know we could use magic bands in aulani. If we charge everything to band can we still go to front desk and pay down bill with gift cards like we do at WDW?

We’re stopping at DL on the way. I see u can’t use old MB. Just magic band plus. Is that correct?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter