Magic Key Renewals

It drive me insane that the parking doesn’t count for hotel parking! If I fly in and rent a car for three days I shouldn’t have to pay hotel parking at the DLH when I have the most expensive pass 😭
I agree. I mean, it wouldn't kill them to allow hotel guests to park overnight at the structure. I'd gladly take the tram or walk back to the hotel to avoid the $35 nightly parking fee. I know space at the hotels is limited, so I understand why they have to charge, but they also have 2 GIANT parking lots that never fill up.

Probably depends on how many people do end up paying in full and how many end up failing to make payments. It is a hassle to collect/expense, so if you want payment plans to stick around encourage everyone to keep making their payments on time! The expense of tracking down late payments/failure to pay is exactly the kind of cost savings Chapek seems like to go after.
They don't spend a whole lot of time on this. If ONE payment fails to go through, your pass immediately disappears off your app and you can't do anything. You can't visit the parks, can't make reservations, etc. It's a self resolving issue. People FREAK OUT when this happens and call in to sort out whatever payment issue caused it.

They don't spend a whole lot of time on this. If ONE payment fails to go through, your pass immediately disappears off your app and you can't do anything. You can't visit the parks, can't make reservations, etc. It's a self resolving issue. People FREAK OUT when this happens and call in to sort out whatever payment issue caused it.

Exactly. There really isn’t much of an expense associated with it. If you don’t resolve it in a certain time period, the entire amount for the pass becomes due AND you still aren’t allowed to access the parks. After awhile, they’ll just sell the debt to a collections company. The former passholder receives no benefits while Disney still makes a small bit of money on them with very little effort.

I agree. I mean, it wouldn't kill them to allow hotel guests to park overnight at the structure. I'd gladly take the tram or walk back to the hotel to avoid the $35 nightly parking fee. I know space at the hotels is limited, so I understand why they have to charge, but they also have 2 GIANT parking lots that never fill up.
I think they have enough parking for hotel guests, and I wouldn’t be surprised if the amount of pass holders that are out of state, stay at a Disney hotel, AND rent a car is pretty low. That’s actually likely why it’s not a perk… but it would be so nice. I’m dropping $400+ a night on the hotel AND $1,200 on a pass… please let me save $150 on parking.

It drive me insane that the parking doesn’t count for hotel parking! If I fly in and rent a car for three days I shouldn’t have to pay hotel parking at the DLH when I have the most expensive pass 😭
Expert tip: Disney Vacation Club members don't pay parking when staying at the Grand Cal Villas on points. 8-)

So ... maybe consider owning or renting some DVC points for those future onsite hotel stays? (poke, poke. nudge, nudge. wink, wink.)

So instead of paying $35 for parking, we pay $35,000? Checks out. 🤣
Every time someone brings up DVC or even staying at GCH all the time, all I can think is, "Oh. We're in a different tax bracket."
Fair enough.

We've been members for 18+ years so our initial purchase (a good smidge below $30k) is long paid off and far in the rear-view mirror. Given current year dues and pro-rated purchase, I figure we are staying at the Grand Cal for about $200/night (studio). Honestly, I'm glad for certain decisions we made years ago?

Edited to add: Even $200/night is "dear" to me ... so most of our visits are off-property and we walk to the parks from that location. Again, a timeshare decision made decades ago ... glad for that decision, too!

I think they have enough parking for hotel guests, and I wouldn’t be surprised if the amount of pass holders that are out of state, stay at a Disney hotel, AND rent a car is pretty low. That’s actually likely why it’s not a perk… but it would be so nice. I’m dropping $400+ a night on the hotel AND $1,200 on a pass… please let me save $150 on parking.
Actually I think there are quite a lot of us, though not necessarily with rental cars. There are THOUSANDS of pass holders like me (though I'm not a current MK holder I have been an AP many times in the past) in the SF Bay area alone, many of whom will drive and stay on-site for their visits. Similar for lots of others in relatively easy driving distance of DLR but not close enough to be "locals" (California's central valley, Sacramento area, Arizona etc.).
It's always annoyed me as well that the parking didn't extend to the hotels.

Fair enough.

We've been members for 18+ years so our initial purchase (a good smidge below $30k) is long paid off and far in the rear-view mirror. Given current year dues and pro-rated purchase, I figure we are staying at the Grand Cal for about $200/night (studio). Honestly, I'm glad for certain decisions we made years ago?

Edited to add: Even $200/night is "dear" to me ... so most of our visits are off-property and we walk to the parks from that location. Again, a timeshare decision made decades ago ... glad for that decision, too!
I wasn't criticizing you. It's just like when my husband is online shopping and he needs to spend $20, but "shipping is free with $50" so he adds another $40 in items to the cart and suddenly that $20 purchase costs $75 because he wanted to get something for "free."

With access to consistent 40% off on Disney resort rooms, DVC has never made financial sense for us.

Actually I think there are quite a lot of us, though not necessarily with rental cars. There are THOUSANDS of pass holders like me (though I'm not a current MK holder I have been an AP many times in the past) in the SF Bay area alone, many of whom will drive and stay on-site for their visits. Similar for lots of others in relatively easy driving distance of DLR but not close enough to be "locals" (California's central valley, Sacramento area, Arizona etc.).
It's always annoyed me as well that the parking didn't extend to the hotels.

I doubt it would ever be worth it to them to extend parking to the hotels. People who want to drive will pay the fee and it encourages other people to not drive. If you're not driving, you're more likely to spend your non-park days in Downtown Disney rather than go somewhere else which means they get your money anyway.

I doubt it would ever be worth it to them to extend parking to the hotels. People who want to drive will pay the fee and it encourages other people to not drive. If you're not driving, you're more likely to spend your non-park days in Downtown Disney rather than go somewhere else which means they get your money anyway.
Totally agree that it makes no sense from their side and they'll never do it. But nonetheless, as a passholder it always irked me that hotel parking wasn't included on passes that included day parking since it meant I was rarely taking advantage of my included parking and paying at the hotels.

So, I'm starting to get really annoyed by the radio silence on this issue of renewals. Why does Disney do this?

I need to rebook our 4th of July " vacation interruptus" (stupid covid) and we think Labor Day weekend would be ideal, but my pass expires 9/2 and I am NOT booking a resort without knowing if I will even have a magic key to use that weekend.

Come on Disney, stop puttering around! Release the info!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter