Magic our way to WDW - Updated 4/26/2013

Just use Disney world transportation, (it's free!), to get between parks. And then take the bus back to the ship from your last park.

Does anyone know if the pools are heated? I am thinking the water will be too cold to swim. Thanks.

Leaving at midinight tonight to drive to Galveston (570 miles each way). Be at the terminal around 1030. I will try to gather information to give a great TR upon my return.:cool1::cool1::cool1::cool1::cool1::cool1::cool1::cool1::cool1::cool1::cool1::cool1:

Thanks so much for your pre-trip report! I am taking my first Magic-al Disney cruise on April 26th out of Galveston (my b-day) alone with my DH (HIS b-day is on May 4th, debarkation day).

Your info has been really helpful! Since this is our first DCL cruise, I couldn't book anything until 75 days out. I was actually up at midnight and got an early bus to MK. Woo-hoo!

You should be in WDW today! :cool1: I'm so jealous - hope you're having a great time. Really looking forward to your trip report when you return.

Got off the boat on Saturday.

Here is a short trip report.

Did decide to leave Friday morning at 12:30 am. Drove the 570 miles toward Galveston. It was kind of nurve racking, had the television on CNN for the entire evening before I left watching the Carnival ship being pulled into port. They ended up transporting those cruiser that had driven their own cars over to Galveston. They showed up the same time we did. A little more on that in a minute.

Anyway, left at 12:30 am to drive the 570 miles. Go thru Dallas and Galveston on the drive so wanted to start early to avoid the traffic. Although the DW still can't understand why we left early, my plan worked like a charm except for my sleep!

Hit Dallas about 5am and made it through with no problems at all. Did not go over the speed limit the whole time, wasn't in a rush to sit at the terminal. Hit Galveston about 9am with a little traffic, probably slowed us down about 15 minutes total. From there, I was doing about 60 in the 70 mph zones, again no hurry.

Got to the terminal about 10:30 am. The port was open and we were able to drop off the luggage at the terminal and park the car at the cruise ship parking. Very easy and quick drop off and returned on previous cruise. Went through customs and checked in by 11:00 am and waited to board. Had boarding number 1 because we are Platinum, but started boarding at 12 noon.

Went straight to Rockin' Bar D to request a change from second dining to Main Dining. Also made a Brunch Reservation at Palo. I was able to get Main Seat Dining thanks to our Head Waiter Jose. By the way, we are on the Disney Magic Ship. They actually assigned us a table without a number, called it 65A. A table just for me and my DW. A little pixie MAGIC. (we have requested Main Dining before and been turned down, even once on board, just worked out this time).

With Main Dining and a Brunch reservation for day 5 in hand, went up to Topsider Buffet on deck 9.

At Topsider Buffet they had an assortment of food for you to select from. It's not a bad buffet, but it doesn't compare to the Dream and Fantasy ships. Not because they don't want to provide more options, there is just not the room. I have heard that they are going to remodel Topsider while in dry dock later this year.

We sat inside while having lunch and continued to watch the folks board the Magic and look at the camera crews filming the folks getting off the buses after the agonizing cruise on the Carnival ship.

We were able to get into our room at 1:30 pm, room 7114, 5C. That is an aft room on the port side near the rear elivators. Nice location accept accross from the freight elivators for the CM's. Noise wasn't bad after the frist few hours of them lugging luggage around. Would not mind the room again. Nice location to AP, PC, and the drink station on deck 9. Also, extremely easy to navigate ship, always had to turn left out of room.

We recieved our luggage and was able to put it away prior to our DRILL at 3:45. I unpack my stuff and use the tall trunk they provide along with one side of the closet. This was an 8-day cruise so I brought a little more than normal. I brought the following:

Slacks: 3 (grey, black, black/blue)
Dress Shirts: 4 (yellow, whiite, burgendy, white/black stripe)
Black dress shoes - 1
Dress socks - 1 (wear over white socks during the evening and re-use)
White Socks - 8 pair
Beach Shoes - 1 pair
Tennis Shoes - 1 (on my feet)
Hat - 1
Belt - 1
Swim Suite and t-shirt for Castaway Cay
Shorts - 5
Short Sleave Shirts - 8
Jeans - 1 (seasonal - wore off the board to drive home)
Puzzle Books - 2
Cell Phone charger
shaving kit

I feel I am pretty organized, got the packing about down now. Takes about an hour and I am done. The DW on the other hand, packs what she wants to pack, don't get involved except loading it in the car.

Anyway, with the room 7114, we had site "T" for the DRILL, happened to be in AP, not good if a real event but get to sit during the drill. After that, dinner time. Dinner rotation was PLLAOLAP. Nights 1,3 and 4 were the rotational dinners. Night 2 was Formal Night.

A great websight to see the menus is http://goo.gl/rBIR4

Some menus might be outdated but look pretty accurate.

My PC choices:
Baked Crab Dip Martinique (very good)
Cream of Green Asparagus Soup (good)
Parrot Cay Salad (very good)
Insland Spcied Grilled Rib Eye (very good)
Chocolate S'More Vanilla Cake (good)

Lumiere's Menu
"Gaston's" Escargots Gratines (very good)
Mrs. Potts French Onion Soup (very good)
Aged Angus Grilled Beef Tenderloin (very good) - also have had the Lumiere's Sea Bass (very good)
Chocolate Mousse (very good)

AP Menu
Wild Mushroom Risotto and Porcini Twist (good)
Baked Potato and Cheddar Cheese Soup (good)
Sirloin Steak (safe Choice - good)
Bukled Warm Apple Crumble - (very good)

Main dining started at 5:30 so inbetween the Drill, the Deck Party (must see if you haven't seen it), there is just a little time to get dressed for dinner. But, we always make dinner. It is really funny watching all the folks for Main Seating to start gathering around 5:15 the first night. Even when they tell folks they have an assigned table and staff, so their is no rush to get to the table. The first night we had P, and rotational dining. I told you already what I had to eat so I won't go there again.

We generally finish about 7:00-7:15pm. We always request a 4-top table for 2 and have always gotten our request. The evening show starts at 8:30 with the doors opening at 8:00, so we generally walk the deck, or walk into the shops until 8:00. We generally sit in the same seats. Have done so for many cruises now. The show on the first night was a welcome aboard show. Very little CM's involved and then they had a couple of variety acts. Show let out by 9:30 every night.

After that we go to deck 9 and get our staple (diet coke) and generally a slice of pizza (or two). After that we went to the room to find our room preapred for us. Towel animal, a piece of chocolate and we are ready for bed. End of day 1!

Day 2
Day 2 on the 8-day Galveston cruiise was a Sunday. We slept in a little bit. I ran up to Topsiders and got two plates to go and grabbed our diet coke. Wife loves a bacon and bagel with cream cheese. I like to go around back and have an omelet made and then biscuit w/ gravy.

After that we head to the protestant service held in sessions at about 10am. just a few attend, but it is nice of the Magic to provide a service. Lasts about 45 minutes. I think there was also a cooking class, Apple Straudel after that. I go to get the straudel. I or my DW would rather go on the cruise to have it than spend the time making it.

Lunch at Topsiders buffet, everyday the have a theme but it all seems to be about the same excpet for seafood day which was day 7. My DW prefers the fast food for lunch so we kind of trade off. She really likes the taco's only found on the Magic.

The afternoons for us on board are a little stail. DW says we have cruise a little too much lately, 9 DCL cruises in 25 months. At least we don't go back until 6 April 2013 (fantasy). I watch some tv and the DW did her puzzle books till dinner. Formal Night! Everyone who wanted to dressed up and I wore my normal slacks and oxford shirt. I really like that the Magic took pictures in the Atrium rather than the dining rooms. If you wanted a picture, you could wait in line otherwise you could just eat.

The performance in the theater was Twice Charmed. Good Cinderella what if story. We always where are dress clothes to the evening performances. Some people change, but we don't like to change 3 times in a day.

That night rather than the pizza, I ordered chocolate chip cookies (warm) and milk from room service. It can take about a half hour, but it is one of the highlights of the cruise. I tip a couple of dollars and watch a movie until bed. End of day 2.

Day 3
WE ACTUALLY DID THE CHURCH SERVICE ON DAY 3! I was a little confused, normally depart on Saturday, but this cruise we started on Friday!

Day 3 was again a sea day. Time to relax. Because our daughter is 25 and lives off and has a job and such, my DW and I are alone on the cruise ship. Ooooo, with 3,000 other passangers. This was a packed cruise, DCL did a kids sail free with the cruise and hey.... it's a WDW cruise! Enough said! Kids everywhere!

After sleepin in a little, got around and went up on deck after service. The weather turned cool for a couple of days, but no rain. I had a burger and hot dog, fries, pizza, and an icecream cone. And no! I didn't mean to get all of that. But I knew I would walk it off, sometime. We lounged around again. I really sound boring but that our idea of cruising, at least when not in port. Went to Lumiere's for dinner, rotational dinner, told you before what I had. I thought one of the best meals of the cruise. Show was Villians Tonight. It is a clean show but can scare little ones younger than 5 i would say. Just a few scenes that fine for us adults but make the little ones yell. Again out by 9:30. Nightly tradition of pizza and diet coke and then a movie on tv. That night it was about 45 degree on deck with a nice brisk wind. End of Day 3!

Finally day 4! Castaway Cay Next!

Ok, Day 4! Castaway Cay

Always the favorite day of the cruise. All ashore was at about 9am. Very cool day, mid 60's for the high, but some sun. The DW and I always go to Serenity Bay for the day, so we though we would head that way again. But, this day we decided to walk the 5K route out to the beach. If you don't know what I am talking about, they have a 5K run on the Castaway Cay morning. We didn't run, but we decided to walk the course. It starts over where you catch the tram to Serenity Bay and runs along the back onto the airstrip. About halfway down the strip, you can take a right a take a paved road. It goes by an observation town, where you can observe and take a couple of pictures. After that 1 mile loop, you come back on the airstrip and progress towards Serenity Bay. The 5K track will have you take a right just before you get to the beach. You can walk that for about 1/4 miles each way. There is an outlook that you can actually see the Serenity Beach from.

After that, yes it was time to each lunch. We ate right there at Serenity Beach. They offer salads, hot dogs, hamburgers, ribs, chicken, ribeyes, and fish. They also have fruit, choclate chip cookies, pineapple upside down cake and icecream. And my diet coke.

After we ate, we went out on the beach, again in the mid 60's, we didn't get in the water. Wind was pretty stiff out of the north. Pleasant time for a while. Generally we stay until around 2:00, but this day we left around 1:30. DW was cold. We walked back to the ship. Probably walked about 5 miles though. Nice Day!

Night 4 was AP for dinner, rotational menu. This is the night of the Anumator's Show during dinner. Kids will love the show, music, some anomation on tv screens and lighting in the room make for an enjoyable evening.

Dinner was followed by our nightly 7:30 family show and then a comedian for the entertainment in the Theater. Yes, you know the diet coke and pizza and then we went to the late night comedy show. Best day of the cruise! Just a little cold. End of Day 4

Day 5 WDW, next!

Leaving tomorrow for our 8-day, which leaves Galveston Friday. Looking forward to learning how the rest of your cruise went, especially WDW and Key West.
Thanks for the taking the time to do a trip report.

Day 5, WDW

I had previously learned through this site that you had to make transportation reservations to get transported from port to WDW. I called at the last minute and got a 8:15 departure for the Animal Kingdom. We hit AK first becuse the DW likes the Safari Ride.

We got up early and enjoyed Topsiders Buffet before we got off the ship. We got down to Customs at around 8am. You have to clear customs prior to getting on the bus, so we got their early. Just had to show the passports and we were off. Got right on the bus to AK and we were on the road by 8:15.

Details for buses. There are buses that go to each park and each location has departure times. So, if you can't get booked on an a earlier departure for one park, you might select another.

Anyway, got the the AK at about 9:40am. Use use your KTTW card to gain entry but the folks at the gate do not access to get you in. They will point you to another WDW staff member to manually get you in. Didn't take but a minute. (had to repeat the process at MK a little later) We went straight for the Safari ride line and it took about 50 minutes to complete the ride.

We had just been to all the parks in 11/12 so we were not really interested in doing much else. So, we went to the Rain Forrest Cafe on the way out. IMHO, not the greatest time I have had there. Very crouded, lousy Customer Service and very pricey. Especially compared to the FREE dining on the ship.

After lunch, took the bus to the transportation center where we caught the tram on MK. We hit MK at about 2:45pm. Great time! Everyone was getting ready for the parade at 3pm, so we took off to the new mermaid ride. The ride was pretty nice. Just a ride through with the story line.

The parks was extremely busy and as stated earlier we had been there before, so we were on the bus back to the ship at 5:30. Caught the bus right outside MK (very convenient). Back to the ship at around 6:45. Had to go through customs again.

The informed us before we got off the boat that they would have 1 MDR open for open seating, 1 MDR open for Buffet. Bost closed around 9pm. Topsider was open from about 9pm - 1am. Also the fastfood stuff was available. I am not sure that there was a show that night or not. We sailed away at 2:00am. End of Day 5!

DAY 6 Sea Day

What a great day for a sea day! This is probably the best day at sea we have ever had. Weather was beautiful and most of the day you can sea shoreline. This is a great day to be on the portside of the ship.

Although our balcony was on the wrong side of the boat, I had reservations at PALO for Brunch! Wow, what a view of the coast and the cities. Was truly awesome. Second time for Brunch, (both as Platinum Guests) and had reservation at 11am. Buffe of cheeses, fish, danishes and deserts along with some made to order menu food. Very good.

Next - Pirate Night and not so hot fireworks

Alright, rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! Pirate Night

Of course the place goes crazy on Pirate Night, everyone dressing up for the dinner, show, and deck party. Seems that more and more folks dress up these days. pirate:pirate:pirate:pirate:pirate:

Of course we had dinner where I orderd "Pot Stickers", Carribbean-style Conch Chowder, and the Dutchmen's Roasted Dijon-Crusted Sirloin of Beef.

That night they had another commedian for the show. At 9:45 we went upstairs for the Pirate Party. The normally start with the CM's dancing and hopping around. Then at 10pm the actual show which includes to Characters started. At 10:30 there is supposed to be a big ending where Mickey comes and saves the day from the Pirates. Well, on this particular evening, at about 10:20. There was a pop and the music stopped. Thousands on deck and the CM's all just standing there. The stage lights go dim........

About a minute late, seemed a lot longer than that...... so hokie pirate music started playing. The CM's on stage didn't have a clue, but they start dancing away... and away.... and away..... Song over, finally! Great! Pause........

Another hokie pirate song, then another, then another, then another. We were up on deck 10 and I could see in the control room. Crew running around, headsets being worn out that night. Finally at about 10:40 (10 minutes after Mickey's rescue was supposed to happen) they dimmed the lights (with the really hokie music by this point) and shot of about 5 fireworks. Burst, burst, burst, burst, burst.......... pause......... stage lights came on.... then went off again....... then 4 quick bursts of noise. Surely this was going to be the start........ oh yea, 4 duds in a row, pop, pop, pop, pop. Pause.................. A couple of minutes later they figured out how to launch a few more. Then....... stage lights came on, music stopped. Game Over!

Crazy after that. You know how some folks will stay and dance and party.... while I hit the buffet! Oh no! Thousands head for the Topsider buffer with only one side open. Ummmm, I didn't stick around. End of day 6!

Day 7 - Key West

Got to Key West around 7:30 am, but we really didn't have much of a plan. We had been there not to long ago and did one of the local trolley tours. Well we ended up docking at the Navy Base there in Key West. So, you had to catch a trolley or shuttle bus to the center of town from the port. You had to clear the base and then come back on base by trolley to board the ship. All aboard time was 12:30 in the afternoon.

With no plan we didn't rush off the ship, but caught the provided trolley and got into town about 10:10. Becuase we had been on the trolley to get there, they mentioned their tour and said it made three stops and ended back at the town square to take the trolley back in 1.5 hours. We were actually beginning our tour at 10:20.

So, I forked out the $65 for the DW and I and we tour the same tour we took before, with the OLD TOWN TROLLEY. We actually enjoyed the driver this time better than the last and saw a couple of different things we didn't notice before.

The tour makes a hard stop and the Mallory Square (actually where you start the tour from). Then they make rolling stops at the Truval Village and another stop at Angela Street. They provide you a map and you allowed to get back onto another trolley to continue the tour at anytime.

If you are a little venturous, you can take the trolley, they will point stuff out for you and then at the stop go back.

Well, my math said 10:20 plus 1.5 hours gets me back at about 11:50. And remember all aboard was 12:30. Heck, you can pretty much see the ship from the Trolley Station (not really but close). Traffic slowed us down a bit and we ended up getting back right at 12:10. Well, the last trolley was supposed to be at 12:15. I saw the very long line with well over a hundred people waiting to catch the trolley back to the ship. I then knew there was pour planning on getting the folks back to the ship. The trolley (had to transfer to a designated trolley) going to the Navy Base actually got us back right at 12:30!

Got underway around 1:15 pm after all were aboard. Just a note, if they port at the Navy Base, allow yourself extra time to get back. Otherwise you are fine. Had no previous time constraints on the other cruise we visited the regular port at Key West.

Wanted to get this post out because I saw where some folks were heading out on the same cruise tomorrow. I will finish up the cruise within the next couple of days. I will post to the title as I complete if anyone is interested.

Well, back at it again. We enjoyed the February 2013 8-day Cruise out of Galveston to WDW, Castaway Cay, and Key West so much that we are setting sail again in just 14 days for the same exact cruise on May 10, 2013 on the Magic. For folks in the mid-west, it was a great deal to be able to get over to the coast for a couple of days. Unfortunely this will be the last cruise before the Magic leaves Galveston till at least 2015. And, the last cruise for now that involves WDW.

Like myself and DW did in February we will leave at around 1am on May 10 and drive the 9 hours to the port in Galveston. We are Platinum so we get to board right after boarding starts, so we really aren't in a hurry. However, this cruise we are going with my BIL, SIL and Nephew. The BIL and SIL have gone on two cruises with us on DCL so far and the nephew has been on 1. They seem really excited to get back on board. They have a PAT or 1200-1230, so we might be on the ship before them or just wait around a bit till they can board.

Most likely we will go to Topsider for the lunch buffet. The DW and I enjoy sitting on deck 9 and watching fellow cruisers come up to the deck to start their cruise. And we like to start our cruise sitting and just enjoying our e-day brreak. I really do need a break, I haven't been on a DCL ship in 13 days now. More in a bit......

Just wanted to throw a note out there. There are still rooms available for the cruise on May 10, 2013. The following are the great rates for two adults:

11C - 2,330
11B - 2,490

OCEANVIEW
OGT - 2,168 (that's $998 each, with 8-Days, to include Park Hopper at WDW)
They also have categories available under $3,200 for two folks.

Like I said, this is the last cruise of it's kind unless something changes in the near future.

Let me know if anyone books this cruise.

more in a little bit.

Unfortunely this will be the last cruise before the Magic leaves Galveston till at least 2015. And, the last cruise for now that involves WDW.

Are they bringing back Magic to Galveston in 2015???

We will be on May 10 Magic too!:yay:
We had to try DCL before they leave Texas.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter