• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Magical Express is back to remove Chapek from Disney Property :)

Disney is losing money, Billions of $. I would not expect them to spend money on migical Express. Or give up the lighting lane money

Don't fool yourself. Same goals and message , just a different person.
Iger was involved with everything in the past 3 years. The major changes that have happened in the past 2-3 years have been in the works for over ten years.
Capek was just too honest and blunt.

100%. Iger is not going to fix everything. He just handles everything in a more diplomatic manner.

He doesn’t clearly and actively detest Disney’s customers and he doesn’t look and act like a supervillain so he’s still better than Chapek.
Taking a step back and looking at the two Bob's, Iger picked his top Lieutenant's and let them do their jobs. Yes, he would approve or disapprove their decisions, but mostly went along with their decisions. Chapek was the opposite, he micro managed. So every decision went thru him, and if you did not toe the line- out you went (see Peter Rice). So when people point out many of the changes to the Disney Parks were started under Iger's watch, yes but no as Chapek was head of Parks and was given his autonomy. So when Chapek became the big cheese did he let Josh D'Amaro have the same autonomy, from what we have learned no. So much so that Josh was reportedly considering leaving. We need to wait and see in the next few months how things shake out at the Parks, it may take some time as they need the big positive cash flow from the Parks to make up for the total bungling of Disney+.

Taking a step back and looking at the two Bob's, Iger picked his top Lieutenant's and let them do their jobs. Yes, he would approve or disapprove their decisions, but mostly went along with their decisions. Chapek was the opposite, he micro managed. So every decision went thru him, and if you did not toe the line- out you went (see Peter Rice). So when people point out many of the changes to the Disney Parks were started under Iger's watch, yes but no as Chapek was head of Parks and was given his autonomy. So when Chapek became the big cheese did he let Josh D'Amaro have the same autonomy, from what we have learned no. So much so that Josh was reportedly considering leaving. We need to wait and see in the next few months how things shake out at the Parks, it may take some time as they need the big positive cash flow from the Parks to make up for the total bungling of Disney+.

Yes, this is a key difference. Granted, Iger did let a lot of the changes through, but Chapek was likely driving them. It's fair to note that Iger could have pushed back and didn't - certainly a failing, but it was not the same dynamic once Chapek was in charge.

Last edited:
I don't see any major changes happening. Genie+ isn't going away, Magic Express isn't coming back and reservations are staying. Reservations are baked into the ticket now so in essence it's not going away. Outside of that what are people expecting to change

Same and it just kind of boggles the mind that this is clearly a service that people are willing to pay for (and do, Mears, Sunshine, etc.) so...why leave that money on the table?
My question exactly. I just can’t see how it can lose money; they already maintain a bus fleet for the cruise transfers.

Honestly, I was surprised the Magical express survived for 20yrs before it was given the ax. The only reason Disney added that service, and did it for free, was because of the travel recession post 9/11. It gave travelers one less thing to worry about while traveling. I don't see it coming back until Disney needs to start adding "free" services to drive traffic back to the parks, and that isn't happening anytime soon.
I was a travel agent about the time it started & it was considered just Disney trying to control the whole process for business reasons. It is not the way to make friends & influence people, the way Downtown Disney killed Church Street Station, which was always way better than what Disney had on offer.

I never took Magical Express because I always had a rental car & didn't need it, but have been told it was pretty much Mears in a big bus w/ Disney artwork.

We took it every time we went and while yes, it was just a Mears bus with Disney artwork it was Disney. You knew once you were on the bus your vacation started. There was a cute little video and the drivers had that Disney friendliness and they showed Disney cartoons/movies for the kids.

Also the not worrying about your luggage was amazing.

We took it every time we went and while yes, it was just a Mears bus with Disney artwork it was Disney. You knew once you were on the bus your vacation started. There was a cute little video and the drivers had that Disney friendliness and they showed Disney cartoons/movies for the kid

Also the not worrying about your luggage was amazing.
I'm sorry -- I didn't mean to suggest there was anything wrong with it. It seemed lovely. I was just saying it was Disney controlling the process, ensuring that their guests never had to leave the bubble to get what they want. If you ride Mears, you can take a car svc to get off-site & if you rent a car, you are completely free to come & go w/o even thinking about it.

I'm sorry -- I didn't mean to suggest there was anything wrong with it. It seemed lovely. I was just saying it was Disney controlling the process, ensuring that their guests never had to leave the bubble to get what they want. If you ride Mears, you can take a car svc to get off-site & if you rent a car, you are completely free to come & go w/o even thinking about it.
It was also nice not to have to arrange the logistics, nor have to pay for it. Was and am feeling completely nickel and dimed by Disney when it’s priced as a luxury vacation but feels like the Hilton garden inn.

It was also nice not to have to arrange the logistics, nor have to pay for it. Was and am feeling completely nickel and dimed by Disney when it’s priced as a luxury vacation but feels like the Hilton garden inn.
Yeah, when I was a travel agent, 100 years ago, I used to tell my clients to get the transfer, regardless of where they were going, unless they rented a car. So much less trouble & it's pre-paid.

End of the day, Iger chose Chapek. Iger doesn't get a pass and isn't a hero for returning in my opinion. His having to return reflects a serious failure on his part in succession planning, which is one of the most important jobs he had.

I think the saddest part is that the loss of ME/luggage services really hits Disney's core demographic harder: families. We don't have kids yet but I can't imagine trying to wrangle kids and pick up luggage and find an Uber with a carseat that can also fit all of our luggage.

Plus, Disney trips these days require so much planning. While I happen to enjoy that, it can be extremely overwhelming for a first-timer or even just a busy parent. ME/luggage services took one piece of that burden away, and allowed you to start your vacation the moment you stepped off the plane.

I think some things will be examined - Genie+ and the 7 AM nonsense is the most likely one to me that will be reformed. However, the goal is going to be to boost profitability. Chapek moved too quickly, and had no PR skills, but the slow march towards everything being more expensive won’t change any time soon.

I think some things will be examined - Genie+ and the 7 AM nonsense is the most likely one to me that will be reformed. However, the goal is going to be to boost profitability. Chapek moved too quickly, and had no PR skills, but the slow march towards everything being more expensive won’t change any time soon.
I could see the 7am thing changing.but doubt it will go back to advanced booking.

Good riddance to Slow Magical Express!

First ME we took….. it took us 1.5 hours to
He dropped off. We were the last hotel to
Be on the route. Talk about anti-climactic

And return trips back to MCO required pickup (3) hours prior to fligut

Time is money.

First time we used Uber at MCO, we were blown away.

Called Uber as we were heading off the Monorail.

5-7 min wait (vs up to 20min for ME)

Then 30min ride door to door.
Best $30 we ever spent. Better than a cheap souvenir

Last edited:
I am not sure how everybody came to the conclusion that the OP was stating ME is back. It was a pretty clear those were play-on words.

I think the saddest part is that the loss of ME/luggage services really hits Disney's core demographic harder: families. We don't have kids yet but I can't imagine trying to wrangle kids and pick up luggage and find an Uber with a carseat that can also fit all of our luggage.

Plus, Disney trips these days require so much planning. While I happen to enjoy that, it can be extremely overwhelming for a first-timer or even just a busy parent. ME/luggage services took one piece of that burden away, and allowed you to start your vacation the moment you stepped off the plane.
If I remember correctly, the luggage part of the service became impossible due to some TSA changes at the airport. So that most helpful part of the service was going away eventually anyway.

Disney is losing money, Billions of $. I would not expect them to spend money on migical Express. Or give up the lighting lane money
Disney was still profitable on their last earnings report. I don't know why so many think they are negative on the bottom line. Yes D+ lost more than expected but the rest of the company brought them to overall profitability.
And D+'s only problem was/is a cost issue, it is a wild success on the subscriber side.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter