"Maintain the integrity of the show"...Your opinions on this

So is it only vloggers that Disney has issue with? Bloggers are ok? I ask because I know some bloggers have had gatherings at the parks and while I haven't gone, I don't believe they've been told to stop or disperse. But maybe they aren't famous as vloggers?

It's not really a matter of opinion though. There are plenty of famous people I've never heard of or care about. That doesn't make them not famous.
Then I suppose a better comment from me would be I have a different definition of famous and I don't recognize youtube folks as being famous

Then I suppose a better comment from me would be I have a different definition of famous and I don't recognize youtube folks as being famous

I'm curious as to why though. YouTube is just a different channel for people to provide entertainment to others. There are plenty of personalities on YouTube that have millions of fans. Why does being on YouTube disqualify them from being famous?

I didn't understand at all what the initial post was talking about
After reading other comments I get it.
What I don't get is why would you want your photo taken with some random guy who vlogs about Disney? Folks consider them famous? I guess I'm too old to get that. Bloggers/vloggers aren't famous. They are just regular old people. I don't see the need for a photo with them. I think it's rather stupid for Disney to have any opinion on it at all.

Perhaps famous isn't the correct word. They have fans in a very niche community. They're just really likeable people. If I see them I will most certainly at least try to say hello. My husband, daughter and I watch Tim's channel together all the time. We've even bought some merch. :)

I'm curious as to why though. YouTube is just a different channel for people to provide entertainment to others. There are plenty of personalities on YouTube that have millions of fans. Why does being on YouTube disqualify them from being famous?
I don't find anything remotely entertaining about youtube videos. Some informational sure.
I'm not telling anyone else they can't find them celebrities but I don't. Quite a few of the ones I've seen aren't even talented at what they are doing. People often watch them because they are bad. Something rubs me the wrong way about that.

I don't find anything remotely entertaining about youtube videos. Some informational sure.
I'm not telling anyone else they can't find them celebrities but I don't. Quite a few of the ones I've seen aren't even talented at what they are doing. People often watch them because they are bad. Something rubs me the wrong way about that.
What makes basketball players famous? Or video game players? Scientists? You can argue all day, but John Henson makes $11 mil (NBA), Felix Kjellberg made $12 mil (video games and Youtube) and Bill Nye makes good money. They provide entertainment to millions of people and yet there are millions (or billions) who couldn't care less and could never pick them out of a crowd of two and have no interest in them. That doesn't make the ones who enjoy their work, wrong. Go to an NBA game and probably not many people want a picture with Tim Tracker but go to his "environment" at WDW and people will recognize him and want an interaction.

My DS10 watches more on youtube channels than regular TV. It's the wave of the future! If we saw the FUNnel Vision family in the parks we'd probably both go a little bonkers and want to follow them around because they seem to have so much fun!

I understand where WDW is coming from on this. Once someone is "recognized" and people want pictures, it tends to cause an avalanche of people wondering who that person is, wanting another photo, etc. and possibly thinking they are somehow connected to WDW. Because of the nature of WDW's business and the environment they are trying to protect, I get it.

We have GREATLY enjoyed watching Vlogs in preparation for out trip next week.
I'm 54.
My wife and I have been hoping to see Tim or Adam Hatten or The This Orlando Life crew , or The Bookish Princess, or Simply Sarabeth, OR even the DIS crew out and about and say HI and thanks if we can. I don't know if we'd get a selfie, but I'd definitely want to acknowledge their work.
I'm not sure I see Disney's side of it, but it's kind of a non issue.

See, when you say things like, "Bloggers/vloggers aren't famous," and start writing that what they do doesn't "qualify" them for celebrity status, you really DO sound like you're telling everyone else that they can't find them celebrities, either.

Now, if you want to qualify that and say, "Me, I don't care for YouTube, don't watch it, and don't care who is on it, so I personally don't consider them celebrities." That's cool.

I have to assume you wouldn't consider a famous race car driver to be a celebrity either, if you didn't watch Formula One racing. Or a famous golfer. Or a famous politician. Or anyone else you never heard of before.

And, I'm assuming your statement "People often watch them because they are bad," is simply due to your obvious lack of familiarity with YouTube. No one watches the Tim Tracker because he's "bad". Quite the opposite. His little travelogues are among the most wholesome, wide-eyed, gosh-gee-whiz things I've ever seen. There's a LOT of excellent content on YouTube, far outweighing the bad. If you're not interested, that's fine. But writing off the entire medium simply because you heard or read a few bad things, is no different than announcing that "People often read novels because they are full of sex," just because you heard something scandalous about 50 Shades of Grey.

So is it only vloggers that Disney has issue with? Bloggers are ok? I ask because I know some bloggers have had gatherings at the parks and while I haven't gone, I don't believe they've been told to stop or disperse. But maybe they aren't famous as vloggers?

It probably has to do with the number of people who show up

So is it OK to speak to Tim and Jen if I see them in the parks?
Yes; you can engage in a conversation with them.

On Twitter, Tim replied the directive was given because there were two families involved. Because one family was waiting to take photos with him after the first family finished, it looked like a ‘meet.’ A Manager, probably an Entertainment Manager, asked him to stop taking selfies.

The Entertainment Manager’s role is to make sure all entertainment in his area is running smoothly. When an unofficial ‘meet’ is happening, it interferes with the ‘show’ in his immediate area.

To me it's because you don't actually have to be very good at anything to be famous on YouTube. That definition takes fame away from lots of people that are not on YouTube and just famous out in the world, and I call them not famous either.

Anyway, back to the point of the thread, I am conflicted. At first I was like "do what you like Disney". But then as I thought about it, and I saw the comment above about "is it ok if it is a blogger and not a vlogger?" then I started realizing what a weird direction this is taking. What about like ... well, sports celebrities? Are they just so recognizable in a totally non-Disney fashion that it's ok to go up and get a selfie with them, or is that too a distraction, and we have to just whisper and point and stay away from anyone that we might recognize in the parks?

Just an odd decision. But hey, I give old TT props for being big enough of a distraction to get the Disney finger-wagging.

I don't find anything remotely entertaining about youtube videos.

Almost anyone and anything can be found on YouTube now. Even live broadcasts of important events. Methinks you have a strange perception of what YouTube is nowadays. Firmly believe it is the wave of the future. Yes, there is a lot of crap but much more worthwhile material now, than say, 5 years ago. Many of these channels are very professional, no longer the home of amateurish garbage.

To me it's because you don't actually have to be very good at anything to be famous on YouTube. That definition takes fame away from lots of people that are not on YouTube and just famous out in the world, and I call them not famous either.

Anyway, back to the point of the thread, I am conflicted. At first I was like "do what you like Disney". But then as I thought about it, and I saw the comment above about "is it ok if it is a blogger and not a vlogger?" then I started realizing what a weird direction this is taking. What about like ... well, sports celebrities? Are they just so recognizable in a totally non-Disney fashion that it's ok to go up and get a selfie with them, or is that too a distraction, and we have to just whisper and point and stay away from anyone that we might recognize in the parks?

Just an odd decision. But hey, I give old TT props for being big enough of a distraction to get the Disney finger-wagging.
I guess the bold sums it up well

See, when you say things like, "Bloggers/vloggers aren't famous," and start writing that what they do doesn't "qualify" them for celebrity status, you really DO sound like you're telling everyone else that they can't find them celebrities, either.

Now, if you want to qualify that and say, "Me, I don't care for YouTube, don't watch it, and don't care who is on it, so I personally don't consider them celebrities." That's cool.

I have to assume you wouldn't consider a famous race car driver to be a celebrity either, if you didn't watch Formula One racing. Or a famous golfer. Or a famous politician. Or anyone else you never heard of before.

And, I'm assuming your statement "People often watch them because they are bad," is simply due to your obvious lack of familiarity with YouTube. No one watches the Tim Tracker because he's "bad". Quite the opposite. His little travelogues are among the most wholesome, wide-eyed, gosh-gee-whiz things I've ever seen. There's a LOT of excellent content on YouTube, far outweighing the bad. If you're not interested, that's fine. But writing off the entire medium simply because you heard or read a few bad things, is no different than announcing that "People often read novels because they are full of sex," just because you heard something scandalous about 50 Shades of Grey.
Never said no one on you tube was good
I said that a lot are famous for being bad or doing stupid stuff. Not all

I would imagine most sports celebrities would have some type of security detail with them in the parks? I can't imagine LeBron James or Steph Curry could walk around any of the parks without being swarmed. Even lesser known sports celebrities. My DS10 recognized Andre Roberson of the OKC Thunder at JFK airport this past summer. DS said hello, shook his hand and took a picture (he was SO nice!). After that, at least 5 people walked up to us asking who he was. I would think anyone playing for a professional team (NBA, NHL, NBA, etc.) would at least have a VIP guide with them to help guide them through the parks and help navigate away from any fans that might approach?

I would imagine most sports celebrities would have some type of security detail with them in the parks? I can't imagine LeBron James or Steph Curry could walk around any of the parks without being swarmed. Even lesser known sports celebrities. My DS10 recognized Andre Roberson of the OKC Thunder at JFK airport this past summer. DS said hello, shook his hand and took a picture (he was SO nice!). After that, at least 5 people walked up to us asking who he was. I would think anyone playing for a professional team (NBA, NHL, NBA, etc.) would at least have a VIP guide with them to help guide them through the parks and help navigate away from any fans that might approach?
I suppose you are right. I like to pretend there are regular joe type sports players that just go on their own without a VIP guide. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter