Marathon Weekend 2018

Just curious, and I'm sure this is buried somewhere in this or another thread. When is the last wave start for the marathon? From eyeballing the finishing times, the biggest gap from clock to net appears to be an hour, so is it 6:30?

So I'm at work today and I think I might have caught the sickness going around. Pretty sure I got a fever now in the last hour or so. Luckily, I'm leaving soon. Didn't try to make everyone at work have my germs but you can't help when it hits you.

Just curious, and I'm sure this is buried somewhere in this or another thread. When is the last wave start for the marathon? From eyeballing the finishing times, the biggest gap from clock to net appears to be an hour, so is it 6:30?

Pretty much. It's just at about 6:35am.

Finished my first (and only!) Dopey and first (and only!) marathon. :banana: I actually felt really good through the first half. A huge thanks to @croach and everyone in the text group for sending out the character stops. I was able to get a few in and ride Everest, which makes for a very interesting GPS image. Got there at 8:59a and only had to wait about 10 minutes to ride. Although our car did get stuck right before the offload point. Uhhh guys? All these gross sweaty people are in the middle of a marathon - keep it moving!

I was well ahead of my goal pace by about 2:30mm but still felt great until around mile 15. I had a stress fracture in my leg in the middle of last year and it caused a lot of issues with my right foot arch. By mile 18 I was in some major pain. I biofreezed-up and took a bunch of pain meds, but nothing helped. I ended up walking most of the last 6 miles in some serious pain and fighting back tears. :( Basically reading all of the encouraging texts in the group and a lot of text encouragement from my best friend helped me get through. :lovestruc I was at about 20mm for the last 6 miles and ended up needing the full 7 hours. It wasn’t what I wanted, but I finished. And I’m very happy about that! :yay:

A little disappointed that my parents didn’t come to the finish. Especially since we were staying with people who did come to the finish to cheer on another runner. They were going to stick around for me but she fell and scraped herself up pretty bad, so they took her home a few hours before I finished. My parents didn’t even bother to get off the couch when I got back to the house. Thanks mom and dad. Love you, too. o_O My friend’s family was more excited for me!

Despite all that I had a fun weekend and I’m happy I got to meet some of you at the meetup! And because 48.6 miles isn’t enough, Castaway Cay Challenge, here I come! I’m looking forward to... never doing a marathon again! :rotfl2:

The balloon ladies started at 6:33am and finished at 1:40pm. Interestingly they had a 17 min pace through the first 5 miles. They were back on pace by the 10 mile marker though.

Everyone at DATW, have a drink for me and MIL! Today was our AK day (saw Pandora for the first time). FOP was SO GREAT!
And @OldSlowGoofyGuy, you know how you were saying that the sky seems bluer, the birds chirping seems louder, etc...well I think my Mickey bar tasted that much sweeter today post marathon. ::yes::
Congratulations to all of our marathon weekend runners!!!

Congratulations to all on their races! Even if you did not have the day you wanted, don’t give up on the distance if you have the desire to run another marathon.

My experience:

The cold temp of the race was not good for me. Legs felt practically numb for first mile or two. I also went out too fast because I was cold and by mile 14 I was not doing well. I thought about pulling myself off course. I was really slowing down.

I had quite a bit of buffer from the balloons so just decided to keep going as long as I could. Back, feet, both It bands were really bothering me.

Never saw so many people walking in a Dis marathon before, especially at mile 14/15 and beyond. I’m speculating possibly many others were affected negatively by the cold too in some way?

I kept going and did manage to finish, I really did not think I’d do it. Only 1 pic stop, in Epcot with no line.

Could not move later that afternoon! Had to hold on to walk across hotel room! This was my fourth marathon and I have never felt like that! Somehow managed to get myself loosened up a little and over to Epcot that evening which really helped.

I think I will go back to focusing on the shorter distances, but if I ever sign up for another marathon, it will be the Disney marathon. Fun course, great volunteers, good atmosphere. I felt other runners around me were courteous and didn’t experience some of the runner etiquette issues I sometimes read about.

Now to take the marathon survey I received...

I was stuck in that traffic,I live locally and drove over,I came down Bonnet Creek and turned on Buena Vista,it was 4:10am.I then sat in traffic barely moving until 4:45-4:50,at that point we were by Victory way and I just said if I stay in this traffic I might not get there for the last corral,it was just a sea of red tail lights with no sign of it starting to move.I made the right but scary at the moment decision to turn left on Victory way to get Osceola Pkwy to then get to World Dr.It was scary cause I had no idea if Osceola would be closed and then I would be in a worse situation.Luckily from the time I turned on Victory there was no traffic at all or closures,in the Epcot lot in 5-10 minutes.If I would have stayed in that traffic my stress level would have put me in a place I did not want.I originally wanted to start near the back corrals to take it easy on the race,Even getting out of the traffic I didn't make it in time for my corral (D),I ended up leaving in the third wave of F.Seriously if I stayed in that traffic I may have gotten to the Epcot parking lot near 6am or later.
That was a smart and gutsy move going south on Victory and taking Osceola to World and back north to Epcot! Good thinking/gambling!

My younger sister finished the marathon however her bib didn’t record a time at the mile 20 marker or her at the finish. And she’s on the sag list. She’s pretty gutted as she’s had norovirus all week and still managed to do dopey (even though it took her almost 8 hours in the marathon bless her)! Can we just email Run Disney and get it sorted? Her Garmin died as well so she doesn’t have a clue for her finishers time. It was her first marathon, So she doesn’t care how long it took her, she just wants a time and her name on the finishers list!

Get in touch with runDisney and Track Shack. My chip didn't record at the finish three years ago. After I sent them links to on course photos, finish line photos, my Garmin file, and my finish line video, they eventually gave me a time. The process took a week or two, so start now. :)

Even though I don’t drink alcohol I wish I was there for DATW. Already back in the land of the ice and snow and headed to bed at 6:30 because my sinuses and cough are only getting worse.

I’m glad I’m not passing this on to everyone else, but I can’t think of a worse plan for a severe head cold than waking up at 3 AM for a 7 AM flight and spending the entire day traveling.

Even though I don’t drink alcohol I wish I was there for DATW. Already back in the land of the ice and snow and headed to bed at 6:30 because my sinuses and cough are only getting worse.

I’m glad I’m not passing this on to everyone else, but I can’t think of a worse plan for a severe head cold than waking up at 3 AM for a 7 AM flight and spending the entire day traveling.

Feel better soon!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter