Marathon Weekend 2024

Oh no! That’s exactly the kind of mess I was hoping for some intel on how to avoid! I haaaaate waiting around for busses. Way way worse than waiting in line for a ride!
I’m not sure any one resort has a bad reputation for bus issues, might just be random. I know one resort ran into trouble last year for maybe Princess Weekend? But not sure which one it was that time.

I’m not sure any one resort has a bad reputation for bus issues, might just be random. I know one resort ran into trouble last year for maybe Princess Weekend? But not sure which one it was that time.
Yeah I feel like it’s random bad luck.

We are hoping to be at Poly using our DVC. I feel like this is a good option for both transportation and spectating. But we don’t own there…. So probably a long shot. We own Grand Cal and Aulani. I’ve considered renting points and then renting out mine to cover the cost (I’ve done this for NYE and Princess at BW) but I‘m still debating DL vs WDW next year.

Just to add to this, I'm sure RD doesn't want any resort to develop a reputation of having trouble when race weekends come along. And I know we joke about mismanagement there but I would hope that if they hear about issues one weekend, they make sure that it doesn't reoccur the next. Hopefully it's smooth sailing for BCV tomorrow.

Has anyone stayed at Hilton bonnet creek during a race weekend? Pros cons? Not planning on doing the parks.

Pretty sure I’m in for next year but not sure which races or anything yet. Might switch to Princess weekend.

I’m hoping with DL race weekend so close it will take some of the registrations away from MW so it won’t be such a mess.
I hate to say it, but I think I’ll join the club just so I can be certain I’ll get the registration. Of course, I thought, if I paid $500+ for that, maybe I should just do DL too for the coast to coast? This is how Disney empties my wallet.

Has anyone stayed at Hilton bonnet creek during a race weekend? Pros cons? Not planning on doing the parks.
Yes, last year.

You have to be in the lobby at 3 am for the bus— it’s just the one time. They have a fun party in the lobby with food and drinks and the staff all cheer for you. The walk to the bus after the race is a lot longer bc it’s in the normal EPCOT transportation area. If you want a bathtub make sure to get a room with two beds. The lazy river is very nice but I didn’t think the food options were good.

Yes, last year.

You have to be in the lobby at 3 am for the bus— it’s just the one time. They have a fun party in the lobby with food and drinks and the staff all cheer for you. The walk to the bus after the race is a lot longer bc it’s in the normal EPCOT transportation area. If you want a bathtub make sure to get a room with two beds. The lazy river is very nice but I didn’t think the food options were good.
Thank you

See, that was my initial thought (join at platinum to get myself and sister-in-law in), but the way I read it, CrD won’t open until May, so the registration period would be over. I would need to already be a member to guarantee entry to 2024 MW

See, that was my initial thought (join at platinum to get myself and sister-in-law in), but the way I read it, CrD won’t open until May, so the registration period would be over. I would need to already be a member to guarantee entry to 2024 MW
I can't imagine Disney would make that oversight? Seems like they'll have to open it up here in a couple weeks for 2024 races with February sign ups for 2024 DL?

I had a milestone birthday over marathon weekend too. It was so much fun! My recommendation is that you pick your hotel based on what makes the vacation a better match for those tagging along. Also, swimming is not likely to be great, so plan accordingly--staying somewhere with a great pool is not as important. For us, all this meant staying at the Contemporary so they could see me a couple of times during the marathon and get around easily via the monorail. They were happy so that made it easier for me to be happy about dragging everyone along on "my" adventure. We had dinner in the California Grill and watched the fireworks from there after the marathon. That was actually my birthday, so we had a cake, the table was all decorated, and while it all cost a fortune, the whole day is a memory I treasure.

I can't imagine Disney would make that oversight? Seems like they'll have to open it up here in a couple weeks for 2024 races with February sign ups for 2024 DL?
It's not an oversight, it's a "feature" of CrD. The way I understand it, regardless of when they open registration for the club, the membership benefits run October 1st to September 30th (or something similar). In order to use your membership benefit's for both registration for and during a given race weekend you've got to pay for two years of club membership.

Also, as I understand it, DL races aren't covered by the current club benefits, so I'd expect them to either create a DL-specific club, add a new membership level to cover DL when club registration reopens, or add an a la carte option to add DL benefits to your club membership. I'd also expect a corresponding increase to the oh-so reasonable membership costs.

It's not an oversight, it's a "feature" of CrD. The way I understand it, regardless of when they open registration for the club, the membership benefits run October 1st to September 30th (or something similar). In order to use your membership benefit's for both registration for and during a given race weekend you've got to pay for two years of club membership.

Also, as I understand it, DL races aren't covered by the current club benefits, so I'd expect them to either create a DL-specific club, add a new membership level to cover DL when club registration reopens, or add an a la carte option to add DL benefits to your club membership. I'd also expect a corresponding increase to the oh-so reasonable membership costs.
Wow, you're right. Digging into the CrD website I can see that now. Ugh. That sucks.

Yep, the Club year is aligned to the rD race year and that makes it super confusing. I'm a 2023/24 race season member so I did NOT get early reg for Dopey, but I DO get lounge access, corral bump and early access to the merch area because the event falls in my membership period. If I use my early reg to get into Dopey for Jan 2024 but end up not renewing, I won't get the lounge or merch or corral bump for those races even though I registered as a member. WEIRD!

Knowing lots of Disney left hands don't talk to lots of Disney right hands, I'm betting the Club folks had no clue DL races were coming back when they offered the new year registrations. I do think they'll announce a DL club and/or upgraded (more $$$) level that adds DL race benefits, but I'm not convinced that's coming before DL registration in a few weeks. They DO have club reg dates on the calendar, however, so I think for this first one current 2023/24 members are grandfathered into early reg for that race.

Had a lot of FOMO this week and I’ll likely go for another marathon weekend for 2024. I have done the marathon a few times and then dopey, so I might go for Goofy or just the marathon. Dopey is fun, but it would be nice to miss the Wednesday chaos and just hit the parks for a few days without being tired from getting up at 2am. Fingers crossed on getting in…

Had a lot of FOMO this week and I’ll likely go for another marathon weekend for 2024. I have done the marathon a few times and then dopey, so I might go for Goofy or just the marathon. Dopey is fun, but it would be nice to miss the Wednesday chaos and just hit the parks for a few days without being tired from getting up at 2am. Fingers crossed on getting in…

I did Goofy from 2010-2020, and I loved it. A lot less pressure for the expo, you get the half-marathon excitement, and then the ultimate victory lap in the marathon.

I would LOVE for them to go back to WWoS and ditch Blizzard beach, but I'm not holding my breath.

Will be back for MW 2024. Sister is still perfect Dopey and my niece and nephew are now running the 10k. Not sure what races yet but I wouldn’t miss it.

Currently, my health and fitness are not at a level where I enjoy anything longer than a 10k so I have set some weight and fitness standards that I need to reach before I sign up for a Half or Full Marathon again. Maybe I will meet those by April, maybe not; but I am going to make sure I am able to enjoy longer races by being at a much higher baseline of fitness before signing up for them again. I’d much rather finish the 5k and/or 10k super strong and have regret about not registering for more than to once again sign up for too much and feel stress and anxiety about falling short of my training plan and feeling as though I have let myself and others down.

Having missed Dopey this year due to the registration madness, I'm tentatively planning on coming back in 2024 for Dopey again. Got to use up those DVC points somehow . . .

Speaking of registration, official RD numbers are showing ~12K finishers for the full in 2023, which seems like a much smaller number than in years past and would explain why registration filled so fast. The marathon has had as many as 20K+ finishers in the past (2018, for example), but was "sold out" this year with only 12K finishers. If they've handled 20K runners before, why are numbers so limited these days? Does RD still have COVID concerns, or is it something else? It'll be interesting to see what happens with registration this year. It's very curious.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter