Marathon Weekend 2024

Are we the same person? Last Sunday was also my third and a PR and the first thing I said to my partner was "never let me do that again" because of how much pain I was in. However, now I feel perfectly fine and am debating it. I'll probably stick to the half but I still have a few months to change my mind... 🤪
Hey, I’m in the significant PR boat too, but it was my fourth. But every marathon I’ve run has been a PR of 25-35 minutes. I don’t think that trend will continue now. I felt surprisingly good after the marathon though and told my wife that I’ll be running more marathons. Oops!! She may not be the most thrilled by that, but is generally a good sport about supporting my running.

Last edited:
I also once said I’d “never” do a marathon. Seven of them - and 4 Dopeys - later… :rotfl: I do truly have no interest in racing, as in, for time, though. I haven’t even bothered with anything but rD races in years because I just don’t enjoy the traditional race experience. What I love most about distance running is the peace and sense of freedom that comes with training runs, so at some point I concluded that I don’t actually need a race to do that lol!

So what are people's thoughts on SAFD? Do we want to continue this on the 2024 thread? If yes, does anyone want to facilitate it for the year? I am happy to do it again - unless Lee comes back; then it should be immediately bequeathed to him! But if someone else would like to run it I am very happy to let it go. Thoughts?

So what are people's thoughts on SAFD? Do we want to continue this on the 2024 thread? If yes, does anyone want to facilitate it for the year? I am happy to do it again - unless Lee comes back; then it should be immediately bequeathed to him! But if someone else would like to run it I am very happy to let it go. Thoughts?
I think it's a fun diversion to keep people engaged with the race weekend throughout the year. I'd like to see it continue.

100% AGAINST continuing SAFD in this thread. It goes against forum rules, and for a good reason. Each thread is supposed to be about one topic, and other topics should be spun out into new threads.

I'm not against SAFD at all, it just shouldn't be in the "Marathon Weekend 2024" thread.

@mmm_texas raises a good technical point. In spite of that, I enjoy the SAFD and find this current thread to be as good as any other. There may be folks we miss because they are not planning to do MW, but many of our SAFD questions are marathon specific, and certainly build community for those of us who attend MW.

I vote to to leave it in. The mods have at least so far not given us any trouble for our breach of rules.

@mmm_texas raises a good technical point. In spite of that, I enjoy the SAFD and find this current thread to be as good as any other. There may be folks we miss because they are not planning to do MW, but many of our SAFD questions are marathon specific, and certainly build community for those of us who attend MW.

I vote to to leave it in. The mods have at least so far not given us any trouble for our breach of rules.
The reason I feel it's not appropriate in this thread (and the reason for the rule) is that it makes it difficult for some people to get the information they're looking for. I sign up to this thread with email notification, because I'm interested in anything related to 2024 MW, especially any news. I would still follow a SAFD thread, but definitely without email notification. Also, by volume, SAFD posts are probably the majority of the 2023 thread, which isn't helpful at all when you're searching that thread for MW info.

The reason I feel it's not appropriate in this thread (and the reason for the rule) is that it makes it difficult for some people to get the information they're looking for. I sign up to this thread with email notification, because I'm interested in anything related to 2024 MW, especially any news. I would still follow a SAFD thread, but definitely without email notification. Also, by volume, SAFD posts are probably the majority of the 2023 thread, which isn't helpful at all when you're searching that thread for MW info.
Last year we tried to address this concern by having the thread OP update the initial post with key information when it was released by RunDisney.

Last year we tried to address this concern by having the thread OP update the initial post with key information when it was released by RunDisney.
Best case, this might address the searching concern, but it wouldn't help with the email deluge. 😉

I don't get why it's not just a separate thread. What's the negative of that? It's just as easy to read, for those that are interested, correct?

Best case, this might address the searching concern, but it wouldn't help with the email deluge. 😉

I don't get why it's not just a separate thread. What's the negative of that? It's just as easy to read, for those that are interested, correct?
For a lot of us I think it maintains and creates a sense of community for those of us planning to attend Marathon Weekend (or who have in the past or want to in the future).

The SAFD questions are a mix of general Disney questions and specific questions around Marathon Weekend (goals, plans, training check-ins) and keep a heightened sense of excitement for an event that's months away.

Actual information around the race weekend comes out spaced months apart and a thread limited to that scope would fall off the radar rather quickly. This thread is also not an official outlet for RunDisney news and information on the weekend. If you're only interested in news about the event and not community engagement around it, you'd probably be better served by following RunDisney Twitter or Instagram so you get the info in a timely manner direct from the source.

The forum rules aren’t strict IMO, some are more flexible due to the community aspect and this is one of them. Fact of the matter is there really isn’t much going on from May-November for this weekend and SAFD keeps attendees more engaged. People who have questions don’t necessarily have to sift through pages of posts, they can ask or refer to the first post for info if that’s updated regularly.

For a lot of us I think it maintains and creates a sense of community for those of us planning to attend Marathon Weekend (or who have in the past or want to in the future).

The SAFD questions are a mix of general Disney questions and specific questions around Marathon Weekend (goals, plans, training check-ins) and keep a heightened sense of excitement for an event that's months away.

Actual information around the race weekend comes out spaced months apart and a thread limited to that scope would fall off the radar rather quickly. This thread is also not an official outlet for RunDisney news and information on the weekend. If you're only interested in news about the event and not community engagement around it, you'd probably be better served by following RunDisney Twitter or Instagram so you get the info in a timely manner direct from the source.
I must be missing something. It seems like people who are interested in SAFD and MW would "watch" both threads, and their experience would be basically the same as it is now, including any sense of community. People who aren't interested in SAFD would be able to only watch the MW thread.

But I've survived the last three years, so I'll be okay either way. :-)

Hey All!

After coming down sick with the flu immediately before MW ‘23 and my first Dopey/marathon attempt I have a thirst for vengeance. Fingers crossed I’m able to get a Dopey registration. I want that bling more than anything - now more than ever after coming so far, finally feeling ready, only to have my body betray me.

I am pro-SAFD in this thread, as it’s helped me get to know others who are coming to MW a bit better and given us a place to express anxiety/support/MW specific questions…I’m bummed I didn’t get a chance to see anyone this weekend but it really had me feel a part of the community following along with everyone’s journeys and learning a little bit more about people’s Disney faves and history :)

FWIW: SAFD had been around on the Marathon Weekend thread for years. It has had different names and different structure. But the idea was the same, some one or some ppl would facilitate a question for all to answer that was running, Disney, MW related. And this was to help with building community within the thread and filling in the gaps before and after registration and before the build up to MW itself. There are a lot of quiet months in a year when the event is only 5 days long. From that community came the prerace meet ups and HH events. Back in the day all of that was WISH driven, not from this group.

On the flip side, the running thread really grew out of a need for more general running conversation and not event specific items Maybe SAFD should be left over there as QOTD?

I just want to be clear that my interest in SAFD is about the community building and friendships, it is not because I ran it last year. Some one else is welcome to run it. I just took the baton from Lee after MW22 rather than having it fall on the track; so to speak. I think there is value in SAFD.

FWIW: SAFD had been around on the Marathon Weekend thread for years. It has had different names and different structure. But the idea was the same, some one or some ppl would facilitate a question for all to answer that was running, Disney, MW related. And this was to help with building community within the thread and filling in the gaps before and after registration and before the build up to MW itself. There are a lot of quiet months in a year when the event is only 5 days long. From that community came the prerace meet ups and HH events. Back in the day all of that was WISH driven, not from this group.

On the flip side, the running thread really grew out of a need for more general running conversation and not event specific items Maybe SAFD should be left over there as QOTD?

I just want to be clear that my interest in SAFD is about the community building and friendships, it is not because I ran it last year. Some one else is welcome to run it. I just took the baton from Lee after MW22 rather than having it fall on the track; so to speak. I think there is value in SAFD.
I think there’s generally been a distinct difference between the Running Thread QOTD and the SAFD question in the MW thread. As a general rule, QOTDs over there haven’t really been Disney related, they’ve been pretty consistently related to more general running topics, from race selection to general running goals for the year to specific questions about running techniques, injury treatment/prevention, etc. I think there’s space for both QOTD and SAFD.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter