Marathon Weekend 2025

SAFB (Saturdays are for Bonking)
I know that my health and fitness took a dive back in 2022 when I hurt my knee (and spent 6 months fighting with Aetna to get proper scans). I know I packed on a lot of weight during that forced sedentary period. I also know how hard I worked to rehab and run the Indy Mini and the Monumental Half Marathon in 2023. I won't get into knee details, but I had full clearance from my physical therapist and doctor. I finished those races slowly, but confidently, and continued my training through this past winter. My training schedule had a couple minor hiccups, but my long run still made it to 12.5 miles, and I got through that without problem.

I've never hit the wall like this during a race before. Sure, I had some battles at mile 12 of half marathons or mile 24+ of full marathons, but I alway kept moving and finished with a smile on my face. Triumphantly, even!

Well, at the Indy Mini on Saturday, my nose was touching the wall around mile 7 or 8. Despite cruising to 12 miles (at a faster pace, mind you) just a couple weeks ago, I found myself walking most of the back third of the Mini. My usual morning routines were the same as they have been pre-race for the past decade-plus. Same schedule, same breakfast, same everything. I felt good, I started the race feeling strong, had a very good first few miles... then bonk.

So, basically... what the heck?!? At this point, I just need someone to tell me that if I train appropriately, this won't happen again when running right down the middle of Main Street USA. :scared:

SAFD: Being in Houston, we are fortunate enough to usually have warm rain. So if it's just rain, and no lightning, I head out for runs as normal. We do also get a lot of lightning. If it's lightning, I just move running to another day. The rain SAFD is topical right now as Houston area has been pounded with rain the past week to the point there was hurricane type flooding. Because of how intense the storms were, had to skip some run days. Also, my normal running course for my lunch break is flooded right now.

SAFD: I don't mind light summer rain, but other than that, I try to make my run earlier/later (if life allows it) in the day to avoid the rain. If it's "cold" and raining (as in, below 65) I will run on the treadmill.

I stopped at the med tent just outside MK during the marathon this year, squeezed the water out of my very fluffy balega socks, and smeared vaseline around and between all of my toes as an extra precaution against blisters.

SAFD: As long as it's not heavy rain and/or lightning I will usually head out. I have a Brooks rain jacket but only wear it if temps are below 50-ish. I don't have a TM or a gym membership, so running outside is my only option if I want to run.
I do think getting out in the rain to run is a solid deposit in the "mental toughness bank" that endurance athletes have to have. If anyone here was at the MCM in 2019 it was a monsoon, and the memories of slogging through that have gotten me through some tough runs! Like - hey, you ran through 6 inch deep water at MCM - you can get through this!
I did the 10k that year! I never thought I would take cover in a porta potty, but I did :rotfl2: Thankfully the rain let up right before we started. After I finished and spent some time at my charity tent, it started pouring as I was walking down to the gear check trucks where my rain jacket was checked.

SAFB (Saturdays are for Bonking)
I know that my health and fitness took a dive back in 2022 when I hurt my knee (and spent 6 months fighting with Aetna to get proper scans). I know I packed on a lot of weight during that forced sedentary period. I also know how hard I worked to rehab and run the Indy Mini and the Monumental Half Marathon in 2023. I won't get into knee details, but I had full clearance from my physical therapist and doctor. I finished those races slowly, but confidently, and continued my training through this past winter. My training schedule had a couple minor hiccups, but my long run still made it to 12.5 miles, and I got through that without problem.

I've never hit the wall like this during a race before. Sure, I had some battles at mile 12 of half marathons or mile 24+ of full marathons, but I alway kept moving and finished with a smile on my face. Triumphantly, even!

Well, at the Indy Mini on Saturday, my nose was touching the wall around mile 7 or 8. Despite cruising to 12 miles (at a faster pace, mind you) just a couple weeks ago, I found myself walking most of the back third of the Mini. My usual morning routines were the same as they have been pre-race for the past decade-plus. Same schedule, same breakfast, same everything. I felt good, I started the race feeling strong, had a very good first few miles... then bonk.

So, basically... what the heck?!? At this point, I just need someone to tell me that if I train appropriately, this won't happen again when running right down the middle of Main Street USA. :scared:
The first thing I'd ask is what have your training weather conditions been like? Have you had a significant amount of warm and humid weather, especially during your longer training runs?

It looks like the starting conditions at the Indy Mini were around a temp of 63 and dew point of 61 (T+D=124) with a "gills may be required" relative humidity of 93%. If you haven't had time to acclimate to that level of heat and humidity, that could certainly contribute to some of the struggles.

SAFD: I generally am a fair weather runner and don't mind the tread too much. That being said, if it is a light rain, I will just go out. If it is down pouring, I will tread it. If it starts to rain while I am out there, no worries! I have run a few races in the rain both have been Hartford which is wild because I have done quite a bit of racing over the last 16 years. I actually talked to Jeff Galloway about this and he said he also have only had 3 or 4 really bad weather races over the years. Anyway, for the Hartford marathon in 2014 it was 40s and raining the whole time. I PRd by 8 mins and joked it was because I just wanted it over with. I was doing R/W/R too. At about mile 21 or so I took one of those fun size candies from a stop point and had to ask the person handing them out to open them because my hands were too cold to work. I probably had mild hyperthermia after that race. The next rainy race was the Hartford 1/2 marathon in 2018. I took a rain jacket that I was prepared to ditch partway through the race, but because of the heavy rain, I just kept it on. I don't typically run with hats because my head it too small and I can't easily find running hats. I am thinking of trying the Sprints visor this year more so to keep the sun off my face.

I guess here is a gear question, what hats/visors do people like? Does anyone have a child size head like me? (which honestly, the kid sizes don't fit right, just a little too small and the women's size is just a little too big).

I guess here is a gear question, what hats/visors do people like? Does anyone have a child size head like me? (which honestly, the kid sizes don't fit right, just a little too small and the women's size is just a little too big).
I am glad you asked this. I have been starting a search for a hat to wear during the marathon. In watching the Iron Man guys, they having running hats that seem very light and breathable, and fashionable to wear backwards. LOL. So was looking what types of brands those hats are.

I also have a small head, and I love these soft visors from Gone For a Run. They’re foldable, washable (lay them out to dry with something holding the visor part flat), and very sweat absorbent.

I have a big head and I find the Headsweats visor too small if that helps :rotfl: It's not adjustable, just has a huge elastic band, but is definitely popular for sweat wicking abilities.

I like my Brooks Chaser visor, it's adjustable but not velcro so no risk of it coming undone. I have it on the biggest setting so I imagine it gets pretty small. It doesn't really do anything about sweat though, just functions to keep rain/sun out of your eyes.

I am glad you asked this. I have been starting a search for a hat to wear during the marathon. In watching the Iron Man guys, they having running hats that seem very light and breathable, and fashionable to wear backwards. LOL. So was looking what types of brands those hats are.
My husband loves Brooks running hats. For a while, when I would place an order from Running Warehouse, I could add one of their branded Brooks hats for $10. He loves them.

Does anyone have a child size head like me?

I also have a child-sized head, and find myself in the same range. Many kid-sized hats are too small but adults are too big. I also have fine, short hair, so that's not keeping anything on either.

I tried Headsweats, which work IF I put a headband underneath it. My best luck has been with something with a velcro adjustment on it, even if I have to cut off excess fabric so it doesn't stick out and look ridiculous.

For sun hats (ie not running hats but good for the parks or pool), the girls section at Target has them this time of year and I find those do actually fit!

Last edited:
I have a small head too. I hate it because there are so many cute hats but just too big for me. On that note I wear Adidas women’s superlite visor in the summer and the adidas women's superlite hat.

SAFD: I am a mostly fair weather runner. I will usually switch up my run days or run time. If it’s pouring, and I am definitely going to miss a run, I’ll cross train inside. I’m not running on a treadmill. I hate those things. I will still go out if it’s misting. Depending on the temp, I’ll wear my north face rain jacket. I also wear a hat. If it starts raining during my run, I’ll still run but I’ll head back to my side of the neighborhood and run until I’m over it. I like to run on the beach when we are on vacation. One morning I went out knowing there were storms nearby but thought I was good. I think I made it a mile away and turned around because I got a notification it was nearby. Well, lightning struck very close and I think I sprinted the quarter mile I had left back to the cottage and made it just before it poured.

SAFD: I love running in the rain, especially when it starts pouring mid-run. Something about it makes me feel like I am a kid again, galivanting around carefree! Unless it is storming, I'll run outside regardless of the weather. I usually ditch the raincoat as I get hot quickly, wear a hat, stick to pavement/paved routes as well as wear a pair of sneakers that are not my race shoes/nice ones.

The first thing I'd ask is what have your training weather conditions been like? Have you had a significant amount of warm and humid weather, especially during your longer training runs?

It looks like the starting conditions at the Indy Mini were around a temp of 63 and dew point of 61 (T+D=124) with a "gills may be required" relative humidity of 93%. If you haven't had time to acclimate to that level of heat and humidity, that could certainly contribute to some of the struggles.
Thanks for the thoughts. Y’know upon further reflection, we only had one training run warmer than that, and it was only a 4 miler. The humidity was no joke, and that was probably a major contributing factor.

And, y’know what else? My mother was in the ER earlier in the week, and the stress of that could have been a major influence, as well. I was technically correct that my race morning was “business as usual”, but the preceding days were anything but. At the end of race, all I could think about was that I was a failure. I really have to give myself some grace. 🤷‍♂️

Thanks for the thoughts. Y’know upon further reflection, we only had one training run warmer than that, and it was only a 4 miler. The humidity was no joke, and that was probably a major contributing factor.

And, y’know what else? My mother was in the ER earlier in the week, and the stress of that could have been a major influence, as well. I was technically correct that my race morning was “business as usual”, but the preceding days were anything but. At the end of race, all I could think about was that I was a failure. I really have to give myself some grace. 🤷‍♂️

Yes, give yourself grace! You finished and yea it may not have been your best, but you did it! Stress can really take a toll on our bodies without us knowing!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter