Maximum Number of Guests Reduced For The Fort Campsites

Jimsig

DIS Veteran
Haven't seen this covered yet.

Just saw this on Kenny The Pirate and now the WDW site has it. The number of guests pre site has been reduced from 10 to 8 people.

The Campsites at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort

Fully-Equipped Campsites​

Great for larger parties, 4 types of campsites accommodate everything from tents to 45-foot and longer RVs, with a maximum of 8 Guests per site.

I noticed that the other day. I wonder if they are to reduce the pressure on the shared facilities now that the cabins are DVC? I’m not sure if there are even any shared facilities?

I don't think this is out of line. Most Nat'l Parks restrict occupancy to 6 per campsite. I just looked up Lake Louisa (FL state park) and they have the same max.

I do think this is a way for the Fort to limit the number of people using the facilities or 'crowding' the loops due to excess vehicles and/or people.

We're here now and still see multiple vehicles at various campsites. (not counting golf carts. I've also seen some HUGE private 'golf carts' with seating for 8. They look more like the old fashioned 'jitneys' than golf carts.

There was a huge party/group across from us this weekend, massive noise, 2 cars, 2 Golf carts continuous young drivers in carts circling the loop honking and screaming, ridiculous, parents dont give a crap anymore, I hope they start cracking down

Last edited:
I have not seen any big parties in the Premium or premium meadows sites... but on a golf cart tour I did notice big or semi big parties in the full hookup or tent areas. Not sure reducing occupants from 10 to 8 would help much because these parties seem to take up an entire loop but i suppose it is a step in the right direction.

Well it's multiple families getting onto the most affordable campsites and splitting the cost.

Even when the limit was 10, Disney would make an exception if you TRULY had a big family/lots of kids etc (but be prepared to back it up).

Multiple families explains multiple cars at campsites. Heck, I had a site across from me with an outside DEEP FREEZER to help feed all the folks that showed up mid-day (biggest crowd) and overnight (camper and 2 tents).

If we ONLY could have the rules enforced ..... a guy can dream, can't he?:cloud9:

When we were younger as a family, it was the only option to us. It worked for us. And Disney did a great job to make it our favorite place to go. It was a awesome value. Now it cost more than the yearly Copper Creek dues to stay at a campsite. The value equation has flipped.

When we were younger as a family, it was the only option to us. It worked for us. And Disney did a great job to make it our favorite place to go. It was a awesome value. Now it cost more than the yearly Copper Creek dues to stay at a campsite. The value equation has flipped.

Well for a Copper Creek comparison, you also have to pro-rate a portion of the points purchase cost in addition to the dues. I am learning this as I look at the Cabins at Fort Wilderness DVC rollout and follow its discussion over on the DIS DVC board.

2024 dues are 8.09 per point at CCV and the allocated purchase cost (which sort of acts like depreciation expense) usually adds a few dollars more per point.

And a few other factors come into play as well in a strictly dollars-and-cents approach.

But for the purposes of this discussion, the campsites being limited to 8 people generally would be on par with a 2-BR villa at CCV (which sleeps up to 8 people).

Bama Ed

Well for a Copper Creek comparison, you also have to pro-rate a portion of the points purchase cost in addition to the dues. I am learning this as I look at the Cabins at Fort Wilderness DVC rollout and follow its discussion over on the DIS DVC board.

2024 dues are 8.09 per point at CCV and the allocated purchase cost (which sort of acts like depreciation expense) usually adds a few dollars more per point.

And a few other factors come into play as well in a strictly dollars-and-cents approach.
I could always sell my contract. Recover most of my "investment" (LOL) through a resale. IMHO, the cabins don't make sense because of the to the dues, around 50% more than CCV. And because of the resale restrictions put on the cabins (and Riviera), the possibility of recovering "said investment" is slim to none.

The depreciation expense is considered a vacation expense in our household. We would probably be spending that money and more for vacation anyway.

Still love taking the camper to the Fort. Did it last year before doing CCV and AKL. Some people don't understand why we stay at the Fort, even though we have the DVC. There is still something there, that makes it a stop. Just shorter now.

We are a family of 6, so 8 makes it where we can't camp with anyone outside of our family. Not that I would want to all cram into one RV, but I know of families that are 8+ in their immediate. I wonder how they "prove" that :)

It's been awhile since I jumped on here. Good to catch up on the news.
I don't think they will have to prove anything, but it will maybe prevent some of the people who book the cheapest campsite for 10 people but never stay - in order to get EMH if staying off property. Now it would only be for 8 instead of 10, not a big difference. Who knows?

Who knows?

Well, for the legitimate large families that could prove or show that they had more than 10 in the past (whatever that system was) I'm sure the same system will cover the 8-person limit.

Based on my experience in 1500 and 2000 loops over the decades, the abuse of the 10 person limit comes from people who (as an example) come in for a nice spring/fall weekend and don't go to the parks. If the reservation just lists a few parents (and the kids ride in with mom or dad through the returning guest line and mom/dad use their approved MB), the kids can swim, ride bikes, drive the family golf cart, and run wild/loose all weekend long.

If the kids/parents DO have passes or park tickets, they could still use the transportation, get into the parks, and come back to the Fort for food/sleep/frolicking.

On paper it sounds like a new policy that will cut down on overloading.

In practice, it won't change a thing IMO.

If those people were smart, they would not call attention to themselves by 20+ people on the campsite at mealtime, the deep freezer to hold all their food outside the camper, and multiple cars squeezing off the pavement.

If those people were smart, they would not call attention to themselves by staying up late with loud music, activities, pets, and draw the ire of the rule-abiding guests around them.

If those people were smart, that is, then they could get away with it easily.

If.

Bama Ed

Last edited:
I understand that part of it. I would totally cramp 10 people onto a site to save money, but we not a loud and rowdy bunch because we abide by (or create our own) campground etiquette.

It also sound like The Fort is trying to elevate the status of the campground, and 8 may look nicer than 10 haha.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter