May 18, 2013 Magic EBTA Part Two - From Tejas to España

Hahaha:rotfl2: love these pics Stevie, would you be surprised to know that I don't even remember getting these taken. :laughing:

I had such a great time at this event and all signed up for next year:thumbsup2
Only this time if I have signed up for something the next day I will try better to make it instead of sending my poor husband to sit alone to do chocolate tasting he didn't even want to do!:sad2:

I did wonder why Brian was sitting alone at the Chocolate tasting, you didn't miss much, it was ok, not brilliant. I think you should get an official photographer for CG and all pictures are only to be taken after a number of drinks have been served. It was fun being acosted by the "pheromone four" and forced to put on the pink items, you weren't the worst that day that was Jamie Lee (Emily's sister)

I intend to stop by after the event next year, just for the fun of it.

I did wonder why Brian was sitting alone at the Chocolate tasting, you didn't miss much, it was ok, not brilliant. I think you should get an official photographer for CG and all pictures are only to be taken after a number of drinks have been served. It was fun being acosted by the "pheromone four" and forced to put on the pink items, you weren't the worst that day that was Jamie Lee (Emily's sister)

I intend to stop by after the event next year, just for the fun"of it.

Reason for not having official photographers was I would had to "Guarantee" a certain number of purchases of the photo. Since their were some fabulous photographers there, I decided to forego an official photographer from DCL.

Reason for not having official photographers was I would had to "Guarantee" a certain number of purchases of the photo. Since their were some fabulous photographers there, I decided to forego an official photographer from DCL.

Noel,

Of course your right, I should have said some "poor unfortunate soul" eg volunteered by a cast of the wives, if I were on the same cruise again I would ask some like Paul Brennan, Eje or Chris to take the pictures all these guys have done some excellent photography. Have a look at Paul's DCL picture of the day, lovely photo a great wallpaper and a nice guy to boot. Before I get slated, I know lots of ladies are excellent with a camera also.:hug:

Noel, are you doing either of the TA's next year?

Noel,

Of course your right, I should have said some "poor unfortunate soul" eg volunteered by a cast of the wives, if I were on the same cruise again I would ask some like Paul Brennan, Eje or Chris to take the pictures all these guys have done some excellent photography. Have a look at Paul's DCL picture of the day, lovely photo a great wallpaper and a nice guy to boot. Before I get slated, I know lots of ladies are excellent with a camera also.:hug:

Why thank you Stevie - You are a fine chap yourself :)

I am available should anyone wish to book me onto your next cruise. I have a modest rider and I will be your photographer throughout :)

Paul

Noel,

Eje took a picture I think but he is not back yet from vacation yet, Yes, I am doing the WBTA next year

Paul took a few pics but not of the group.

Here is a link to one someone took with our camera:

DSC_1205v2.jpg

Y'all are way too nice. :hug:

Okay - have my computer back. My MacBook died in Barcelona, and I finally got a Genius bar appt Friday afternoon. Had lost my operating system and some bridge... whatever that all meant. Then it took longer to fix, so they comped it!! :yay:

Yes - it was a challenge this time with the littlest one refusing to go to Oceaneer's Club or Flounders. She went the day we were at brunch, and the following day for 20 minutes before we were paged, but refused to go back. We even tried Flounder's to no avail. I was able to get DMIL to sit in the cabin with her while we had things, like Palo or a spa appointment, but that was about it. At least on WBTA 2011 she was happy with Flounders and we scheduled that a couple hours each day so we could have "us" time. Very surprising though, is that on the NCL Spirit cruise, she turned 3 on the fourth day, and could start the kids club there. She *loved* it and went daily! Then the last day in Venice she decided she didn't want to go when we were going to try to head back into Venice again for the evening. Go figure. I think the difference was that DCL has ages 3-12 all together whereas NCL has 3-5, 6-9, 10-12 separated in their younger club. Even in the same area, they had different colored wrist bands and would come out of the club telling us about their activities, which were different (since one child was 3 and the other was 6). I will say I was impressed with NCL on that, as this was our first NCL cruise with children (the other three were in 2000, 2003 and 2005 - for East Caribbean, West Caribbean, and Alaska).

Food - overall we liked Disney food better. We did miss having our set dining room servers, but that is partially our fault because we tried various restaurants onboard. We could have chosen to go to the same restaurant each night at opening requested the same server, which is what we did on our last two NCL cruises. With kids though, DCL has it down. One night we were at the Garden Cafe on NCL and after ten minutes of servers buzzing by us and receiving no water or acknowledgement, the kids were already ancy, and their food took longer anyway, so we just left. But would we book NCL again? Yes. But if looking for a comparison, DCL did have an edge to the onboard experiences and activities IMHO while NCL had the itinerary we wanted to back up to the EBTA (and at a decent price).

While we had about 400 children in Oceaneer's area (from what staff told me) there were only 200 on NCL for the 3-12 group. Ships were about same size for passenger capacity, but we felt our DCL CMs built better relationships with the children. Our oldest cried and cried and cried when having to turn in her wristband on the Magic, afraid she would never see them again (as her favorite from WBTA was not on there and no CM seemed to know or remember him). She was fine leaving kids club the last time on NCL - no tears - but did enjoy going every day and asked to go when we got back into port.

Characters - I was very surprised to not see the Fab Five. Instead, after asking multiple times, they did it the morning of Madeira and called it Mickey and Friends.... and closed the line early. We were turned away. They said they would do it again, but never did. That used to be touted on the DIS boards as one of the perks of longer cruises... chances to see unique groups of characters you don't get on the shorter cruises. There were also times of characters being in one place but the schedule had something different. Not sure what was going on with that this time. I was also bummed to not see the mosaic we took part in painting. The schedule had 1:30-3:30, we arrived about 2:50, and it was gone. Asked Guest Services and they said it was taken down due to rough seas and would be back up on Friday. It never was. Just odd scheduling things like that were different this time, so I was happy to see the picture someone got to take. I sat next to a doctor from Barcelona on the train from Milan to the airport, and told her to keep an eye out for it at the hospital :)

I think NCL did a better job of keeping handicap cabins for those who actually needed them. We were nextdoor to one on NCL and thankfully it was used by a family with a wheelchair-bound person. It saddened me to see the wheelchairs parked on deck 6 by midship elevators on DCL -- someone told me they were people who could not get HA cabins hence having to park their chairs there since they don't fit in standard doors. I was glad to see so many making the voyage though but it would have been nice if DCL could enforce it better, or guests only book the cabins if truly needed (honesty and integrity just is hard to come by these days it seems), or DCL assign guarantee cabins accordingly. NCL would also reserve one elevator on port days for handicap to get up/down from the gangway deck. Each day is truly such a blessing to be thankful for.

We had a great CruiseCritic group with a couple meets onboard, and it was fun running into each other. With many of us using Rick Steves' advice, I think we ran into someone every day in port! We look up at the Rialto Bridge area in Venice and see Woody and his wife - again. And of course we had gone early to Montserrat as Rick Steves suggested and ran into them there as well, but ran into Laurie/Lee at Parc Guell in Barcelona. Everyone in our CruiseCritic group was so helpful, sharing research, joining tours, etc -- but being such a port intensive cruise there were not any of the "DIS" activities you see. We needed sea days to recuperate and rest our feet!

NCL has some very unique itineraries, and we always arrived early into port. I can't recall if I shared the ports:

- Spain - Barcelona (disembarked cruise, spent 3 nights there seeing Parc Guell, Casa Batllo, Sagrada Familia, Picasso Museum, and other major sights)
- Spain - Monteserrat (went up the mountains to monastery, heard 800+ year old boys choir in amazing church, hiking with beautiful monuments telling the story of Christ, touched he black Madonna)

Boarded a 12-night cruise for the Med:
- France - Toulon (tourist train of town/beach, awesome crepes on the coast)
- Italy - went to:
--- Florence (too much to list, side trip to organic winery that we loved)
--- Pisa (that tower is still there)
--- Rome (yay for skip-the-line tickets! saw the highlights on an 8 hour tour - Colloseum, Palatine Hill, Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, etc)
--- Naples (archaeological museum for Pompeii artifacts, pizza from Rick Steves' recommendation, gelato, and the vespas zipping down the streets),
--- Venice (yay for maps! had skip the line tickets for St Marks).
- Greece - went to Mykonos - windmills, over 300 churches on island, had authentic baklabav (but Athens was cancelled due to a strike)
- Turkey - went to:
--- Istanbul (Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, a pharmacy LOL -- in Istanbul when the rest of the world was seeing the Taksim Square riots - we used public metro and heard the sirens blaring for prayer time at the mosques)
--- Ephesus the next day (and then a long tour in Ephesus to see Artemis, Basilica of St John, Gates of Ephesus, and last House of the Virgin Mary)
- Croatia - Dubrovnik and Ston - both places we would not hesitate to return to (tasted oysters from the Adriatic Sea - fresh, visited olive oil mill, wine tasting with walking tour of Old Town Dubrovnik; both towns had walls encircling them but Ston has the second longest wall in the world - next to Great Wall of China). Croatia was a last-minute itinerary change due to strikes in Athens. Kids were literally in bed, we had our PJs on, and the Captain came on the all-call to announce the news that we would not be docking in Athens the following morning but we would have a sea day followed by Croatia instead. It was nice to have something substituted instead of an additional day at sea, and we received about $4 in taxes credited back (and free drinks by the pool on the day we should have been in Athens).

After disembarking in Venice, we took the train to Milan, stayed at Park Hyatt Milan overnight (adjacent to the Galleria and Duomo) and then had an 11:00pm flight out to KEF (Iceland).
In Milan we did the Last Supper painting, amazing duomo (our favorite of all churches/basilicas/duomos we visited), exploring Milan, yummy homemade gnocci
- Iceland - did the Golden Circle and Blue Lagoon - and we will be returning!

We both start back to work today (yes, a Saturday). Early morning. This is the first time I have been using my Mac, and haven't even started to download pics from the two memory cards. I only had pics I put on facebook from my ipad.

We are booked on WBTA 2014 and have considered doing EBTA as well for a "roundtrip". I've posted on that EBTA thread a couple times but I have an odd feeling we will tack something onto WBTA instead. Vacation bidding is in August so we will know more then.

Okay - off to my first appointment of the day :) Y'all have a great weekend!

Y'all are way too nice. :hug:

NCL has some very unique itineraries, and we always arrived early into port. I can't recall if I shared the ports:

- Spain - Barcelona (disembarked cruise, spent 3 nights there seeing Parc Guell, Casa Batllo, Sagrada Familia, Picasso Museum, and other major sights)
- Spain - Monteserrat (went up the mountains to monastery, heard 800+ year old boys choir in amazing church, hiking with beautiful monuments telling the story of Christ, touched he black Madonna)

- Italy - went to:
--- Rome (yay for skip-the-line tickets! saw the highlights on an 8 hour tour - Colloseum, Palatine Hill, Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, etc)
--- Naples (archaeological museum for Pompeii artifacts, pizza from Rick Steves' recommendation, gelato, and the vespas zipping down the streets),
- Greece - went to Mykonos - windmills, over 300 churches on island, had authentic baklabav (but Athens was cancelled due to a strike)
- Turkey - went to:
--- Istanbul (Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, a pharmacy LOL -- in Istanbul when the rest of the world was seeing the Taksim Square riots - we used public metro and heard the sirens blaring for prayer time at the mosques)
--- Ephesus the next day (and then a long tour in Ephesus to see Artemis, Basilica of St John, Gates of Ephesus, and last House of the Virgin Mary)
- Croatia - Dubrovnik and Ston - both places we would not hesitate to return to (tasted oysters from the Adriatic Sea - fresh, visited olive oil mill, wine tasting with walking tour of Old Town Dubrovnik; both towns had walls encircling them but Ston has the second longest wall in the world - next to Great Wall of China). Croatia was a last-minute itinerary change due to strikes in Athens. Kids were literally in bed, we had our PJs on, and the Captain came on the all-call to announce the news that we would not be docking in Athens the following morning but we would have a sea day followed by Croatia instead. It was nice to have something substituted instead of an additional day at sea, and we received about $4 in taxes credited back (and free drinks by the pool on the day we should have been in Athens).

Mandy, welcome back, just incase you don't know it's "humdrum hell" after a vacation like yours, if your anything like me you keep thinking "last week I was in such and such with" anyway, getting back to your post I wonder if DCL realise that so many people took the EBTA to only disembark and then start travelling again, whilst I know of a number of people who stayed onboard, I wonder if they had better either conjoined rates for the EBTA crossing and the first Med cruise combined with a few new ports how many people would then stay with DCL instead of disembarking and doing DIY travels, even with Adventures by Disney it's simply too expensive for many families as you always have that Disney premium.

I recently received an email from NCL offering cut prices on the MED season on the Epic, apart from Mary disemboweling me :scared:if I suggested cruising solo this summer again, the prices were just so cheap, the ports were not really special, however ok. I only hope that someone in DCL is listening or thinking already about how can we change things round a bit without pricing many families away from DCL, is it me or do you think DCL pays a large premium to each port just because the are Disney.

Look forward to catching up with you all on the next TA if not before.

Humdrum hell here I come:laundy:

Hey Stevie! Already starting to research 2014 - what to tack on pre-cruise-WBTA :) Of course it all depends on hubby's vacation bidding in August, but I will still plan ;)

Our NCL cruise was about $1200 per adult and $349 per child for 12 nights. I saw that it is now as low as $549 in July/August. We did see the Epic in one port. Not sure I'd want that itinerary when that hot, but quite a discount. Compared to the first Med for DCL, we wanted something longer than 7 nights and to visit more ports. Plus the price difference was worth it too. It was a fantastic itinerary ... embarkation, 4 port days, 1 sea day, 4 port days, 1 sea day, then the day we sailed into Venice (and overnighting before disembarkation). Of course we had that one change from Athens so it became embarkation, 4 port, 1 sea, 3 port, 1 sea, 1 port, sail into Venice (and overnight). Gave a good break when needed within the itinerary. We are still excited about the two ports in Turkey we got to visit. :thumbsup2 But for port intensive cruises and recovery time during the cruise, we were looking at that cruise as more of a floating hotel with overnight transportation to see new ports (not the traditional "cruising" experience but more to see ports).

Still so happy we all enjoyed the group activities here --- Palo brunch, Mixology, Chocolate, Champagne Girls, etc. Lots of great conversations and laughter! Great ways to mingle on all those sea days. Beverly did awesome being the "almost everything alcohol" coordinator, and Noel set up a fabulous Champagne Girls. Henrietta had brunches all squared away. Just such a great team effort!

Back to unpacking and laundry and all that stuff...

Mandy, welcome back, just incase you don't know it's "humdrum hell" after a vacation like yours, if your anything like me you keep thinking "last week I was in such and such with" anyway, getting back to your post I wonder if DCL realise that so many people took the EBTA to only disembark and then start travelling again, whilst I know of a number of people who stayed onboard, I wonder if they had better either conjoined rates for the EBTA crossing and the first Med cruise combined with a few new ports how many people would then stay with DCL instead of disembarking and doing DIY travels, even with Adventures by Disney it's simply too expensive for many families as you always have that Disney premium.

I recently received an email from NCL offering cut prices on the MED season on the Epic, apart from Mary disemboweling me :scared:if I suggested cruising solo this summer again, the prices were just so cheap, the ports were not really special, however ok. I only hope that someone in DCL is listening or thinking already about how can we change things round a bit without pricing many families away from DCL, is it me or do you think DCL pays a large premium to each port just because the are Disney.

Look forward to catching up with you all on the next TA if not before.

Humdrum hell here I come:laundy:

Stevie, I doubt DCL pays more for port privileges than other ships of the same size. I think DCL charges what they do in Europe because there are enough people willing to pay whatever the Mouse asks! Case in point - the ridiculously expensive 2010 Baltic cruises. :scared1: (I'll keep harping on that example forever!) The only way prices will go down is if people vote with their feet. As much as I loved the Magic for all those sea days on the Transatlantic, it's a very expensive floating hotel on the more port-intensive cruises.

By the way - I was just thinking that a year ago at this time, I had just returned from almost 6 weeks in Europe and two great cruises on Celebrity (Italy & Croatia) and Royal Caribbean (Norway). That's why my post-cruise plans this year (4 days in Barcelona) were very simple, and relatively inexpensive.

- Italy - went to:
- Turkey - went to:

After disembarking in Venice, we took the train to Milan, stayed at Park Hyatt Milan overnight (adjacent to the Galleria and Duomo) and then had an 11:00pm flight out to KEF (Iceland).
In Milan we did the Last Supper painting, amazing duomo (our favorite of all churches/basilicas/duomos we visited), exploring Milan, yummy homemade gnocci
- Iceland - did the Golden Circle and Blue Lagoon - and we will be returning!
Mandy, thanks for the comparison of your Magic and NCL cruises. Your itinerary sounds fabulous, and the last-minute substitution of Dubrovnik for Athens was a pretty good swap. I haven't sailed with NCL, but would do so for the right itinerary and price.

I considered going to Milan after our Med cruise ended in Venice last year, but my DH wasn't interested. Knowing how much you enjoyed it, I'll put Milan on my must-do list - if and when we return to Italy. :)

Mandy, thanks for the comparison of your Magic and NCL cruises. Your itinerary sounds fabulous, and the last-minute substitution of Dubrovnik for Athens was a pretty good swap. I haven't sailed with NCL, but would do so for the right itinerary and price.

I considered going to Milan after our Med cruise ended in Venice last year, but my DH wasn't interested Knowing how much you enjoyed it, I'll put Milan on my must-do list - if and when we return to Italy. :)

We high-fived when hearing of that swap! Athens was going to be a "quick" see the Acropolis and that was about it. Very pleased with the swap. :thumbsup2

. . . Our NCL cruise was about $1200 per adult and $349 per child for 12 nights.

. . . It was a fantastic itinerary

. . . But for port intensive cruises and recovery time during the cruise, we were looking at that cruise as more of a floating hotel with overnight transportation to see new ports (not the traditional "cruising" experience but more to see ports).
A fantastic itinerary indeed! We booked the NCL cruise for the itinerary, since it offered three ports (out of nine) that were new to us.

We visited Anthens twice before on other cruises (Eastern Med with Egypt; and Holy Land cruise). So when they swapped Dubrovnik for Athens, that made a fourth new port, and we were doing the happy dance.

For port intensive cruises like this, we like having flexible dining times. After a long day in port, we are able to have dinner when we want, enjoy some entertainment (stage show or musicians), then go over plans for the next port.

Woody

A fantastic itinerary indeed! We booked the NCL cruise for the itinerary, since it offered three ports (out of nine) that were new to us.

We visited Anthens twice before on other cruises (Eastern Med with Egypt; and Holy Land cruise). So when they swapped Dubrovnik for Athens, that made a fourth new port, and we were doing the happy dance.

For port intensive cruises like this, we like having flexible dining times. After a long day in port, we are able to have dinner when we want, enjoy some entertainment (stage show or musicians), then go over plans for the next port.

Woody

I can picture you two doing the happy dance! :woohoo:

I also like "anytime" dining on port-intensive cruises.

Woody

Exactly! :) I am so thankful for how much we got to visit with you two on the NCL cruise (and in Montserrat!). That nightly "go over plans for the next port" was a definite each day it seemed LOL!

Still so happy we all enjoyed the group activities here --- Palo brunch, Mixology, Chocolate, Champagne Girls, etc. Lots of great conversations and laughter! Great ways to mingle on all those sea days. Beverly did awesome being the "almost everything alcohol" coordinator, and Noel set up a fabulous Champagne Girls. Henrietta had brunches all squared away. Just such a great team effort!

Yes Mandy, the ladies, you all did so very well.

Stevie, I doubt DCL pays more for port privileges than other ships of the same size. I think DCL charges what they do in Europe because there are enough people willing to pay whatever the Mouse asks! Case in point - the ridiculously expensive 2010 Baltic cruises. :scared1: (I'll keep harping on that example forever!) The only way prices will go down is if people vote with their feet. As much as I loved the Magic for all those sea days on the Transatlantic, it's a very expensive floating hotel on the more port-intensive cruises.

By the way - I was just thinking that a year ago at this time, I had just returned from almost 6 weeks in Europe and two great cruises on Celebrity (Italy & Croatia) and Royal Caribbean (Norway). That's why my post-cruise plans this year (4 days in Barcelona) were very simple, and relatively inexpensive.

I would like to cast off a few extra cruises without DCL, however it's almost as if they have my wife in trance and she simply won't allow herself to book with another cruise company, I will go to the doctor as they must have pills for this sort of thing:rotfl2: just can't find a medical name for is DCLholic should get me the appointment.

It's our 25th anniversary in a couple of years, yes I know I look too young, however I would like to do something special for that, my wife would book the Disney suite if she could get away with it.

Here's hoping for the 2015 itineraries and a slight more realistic pricing model, yes the Baltics were silly compared to the competition.

It really is the way to go.

On the NCL cruise, the port times differed widely -- some had ashore times as early as 7:00am, and others had onboard times as late as 6:30pm. For our overnight in port in Venice, there was no set onboard time. It was nice having complete flexibility with anytime dining.

I am so thankful for how much we got to visit with you two on the NCL cruise (and in Montserrat!).
The pleasure was ours! With 2,000 guests on board, and several dining rooms to choose from, it was a sign when one night the hostess seated you two at the table right next to ours.

We especially enjoyed hearing about your travels. Somehow our bucket list got longer.

Woody

I agree. The anytime dining and the freestyle dress code are great for a port intensive cruise. On our Berlin day, we got back to the ship around 9:00 pm and girls still wanted something to eat, it was nice to have plenty of options for a late dinner.

The pleasure was ours! With 2,000 guests on board, and several dining rooms to choose from, it was a sign when one night the hostess seated you two at the table right next to ours.

We especially enjoyed hearing about your travels. Somehow our bucket list got longer.

Woody

*Your* bucket list got longer? What do you think about our's? Y'all are our idols! ;) And ironically, I did watch "The Bucket List" on the flight from Iceland to New York since it was one of the movie choices...

:cool1:

Great recap Mandy! Thanks for the comparisons.

We had some things happening on the Med cruise that soured it for us (not Disney related), but I think we also learned that on a port-intensive cruise we don't need Disney. I could see doing a different line in Europe some other year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter