• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

May 18, 2013 MAGIC EBTA - Who is with us?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everybody, just wanted to pass on some info re: weight loss. I saw the posts on FB. There is huge evidence that poor sleep is very much related to weight. Here is part of an article I copied and pasted from APA (I did the bolding):

The cardiometabolic trap
Subsequent studies have confirmed the effects of partial sleep loss on hormone regulation and have led to a burgeoning of research on the role of sleep in obesity, diabetes and cardiovascular disease — a tangled triumvirate of sickness and mortality that are key elements of what researchers sometimes refer to as cardiometabolic disease. In a 2012 article published in the American Journal of Human Biology, UC biomedical anthropologist Kristen Knutson, PhD, reviewed research on sleep and cardiometabolic health and concluded that sleep restriction leads to "substantial and clinically significant changes in appetite regulation, hunger, food intake, glucose metabolism and blood pressure control." Knutson also found a significant association between short sleep duration (less than six hours per night, in most studies) and either more obesity or a higher body mass index. Adolescents and children showed a stronger association, suggesting they may be especially vulnerable to the effects of lost sleep.
One way in which lack of sleep may thwart cardiometabolic health is by skewing people's dietary choices. In a 2011 study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition by a large multicenter team, healthy men and women who were restricted to just four hours of sleep per night over six nights took in significantly more calories, particularly from fat, than their well-rested counterparts — and they didn't make up for it by burning more energy.
Another study, conducted by Arlet Nedeltcheva, MD, and colleagues at UC and published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition in 2009, found that adults who were allowed to sleep only 5.5 hours per night for two weeks indulged in more snacks than their counterparts who enjoyed 8.5 hours of sleep each night. Likewise, in a 2012 yet-to-be-published study that drew on data from the CDC's 2007–08 National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, Knutson, Grandner and colleagues mapped dietary patterns to sleep complaints including difficulty falling asleep, difficulty staying asleep, non-restorative sleep and daytime sleepiness. Every complaint, they found, was significantly associated with greater total caloric intake.
In a 2012 study published in the Annals of Internal Medicine, a team of UC researchers uncovered a molecular clue to how lack of sleep might promote diabetes: Fat cells in people who don't get enough sleep have a 30 percent reduced ability to respond to insulin. Fortunately, the biochemical processes that sleep loss sets in motion may reversible, at least if skipping sleep doesn't become a lifelong habit. In September, psychologist Karen Matthews, PhD, of the University of Pittsburgh, reported in SLEEP that if teens who normally got six hours of sleep per night were allowed just one extra hour of sleep, their insulin resistance improved by 9 percent.

So if you are trying to lose weight for the cruise, make sure you get good sleep (which is literally supposed to be 8 hours)!

Good night!

Very interesting! Wonder if that's why Freshmen in college tend to gain weight, hence the freshmen 15.

gonecrusin said:
Very interesting! Wonder if that's why Freshmen in college tend to gain weight, hence the freshmen 15.

I'm pretty sure Beer is the root cause of the Freshmen 15!

Kirbo said:
Thank you! And congrats pixiedust:

I'm figuring that with our Disney Air it will cancel that out. But I'm very pleased that some of you will be able to take advantage of it :cool1:

You may want to call, in 2011 we changed to a GTY & they transferred our air to the new resv with no penalties and we used Disney air. Might be worth a call!

gonecrusin said:
Don't think the majority of freshmen participate in underage drinking!

Keep telling yourself this if it makes you feel better! :) Is one of your kid's a freshman in college? I did go to the #1 party school in America and my 15 was a combo of vodka and late night drunkin munchies. I will have it be known that I was a 4.0 duel major in engineering!

Thanks. There is a minimum order amount of 50. If we had that many I would be happy to do it.

Val

Hi Val!

Hope Bob is feeling better. Both of you have been in my thoughts and prayers.

From what I have been reading it doesn't seem like we will be getting enough orders for the shirts, probably due to the cost, but wow what a shirt design. Didn't I see somewhere that a shirt with just the reoccurring design would be less and could be a possibility?

Also, the flicker account is only showing the pub crawl beer design not the martini.

Take care!

Keep telling yourself this if it makes you feel better! :) Is one of your kid's a freshman in college? I did go to the #1 party school in America and my 15 was a combo of vodka and late night drunkin munchies. I will have it be known that I was a 4.0 duel major in engineering!

WOW! Did I just get slammed?

i was just making an innocent comment about an interesting post. My children are way past freshmen and grew up as responsible adults without the party scene that included breaking the law. They had a great time in college and would be angry about this general assumption that this is what all college students participate in.

i was just making an innocent comment about an interesting post. My children are way past freshmen and grew up as responsible adults without the party scene that included breaking the law. They had a great time in college and would be angry about this general assumption that this is what all college students participate in.

Nah, I think she was just making a comment about how many college kids aren't waiting to turn 21 before drinking, including her. Not a knock on you or your kids, IMO.

I am one of the people who was drinking way before legal age (don't ask when haha) and I turned out pretty okay (I think). Interestingly, I went to Pepperdine (dry campus), and that didn't stop me one bit. I'm not sure about Freshman 15 for me, but it was definitely 5-10.

Sorry, if it came off as slamming you, that wasn't my intent. Studies have shown that 82% of underage college students admit to underage drinking and average more than 5 drinks a week. Sadly, this doesn't make it an assumption, it is more of a fact that, yes, a majority of freshman do drink underage. Your kids are in the minority and I do give them credit. I will admit, I drank underage in college (I did not binge drink) and I am sure if you asked my parents, they would have told you I was a 4.0 duel major in engineering and a good kid but I'm sure they would not be shocked that I drank underage. I am not saying they encouraged it or approved of it, just not shocked that I partaked.

Just because I drank underage does not mean I did not grow up to be a responsible adult. But I am one who believes the drinking age should be lowered to 18. And just incase you were wondering, I have never even tried a cigarette, let alone any other illegal substances.

As I mentioned, it wasn't my intent to slam you but I have a feeling, 82% of freshman can blame their 15 on booze and not lack of sleep.

Nah, I think she was just making a comment about how many college kids aren't waiting to turn 21 before drinking, including her. Not a knock on you or your kids, IMO.

That is exactly what I meant, thanks for saying it better than I could. As I said, I am engineer, way better with numbers than words!

My intent of the post was not to slam or hurt anyone:hug:

While your DH can talk his ear off, mine will sit there and just listen. He is a man of few, and I mean VERY FEW words. He will warm up after a few days and might chat if it is something that really interests him and he is knowlegable about. But he loves being around people and doing activites. I don't get it...

My DH is the EXACT same way!! I don't get it either.

That is exactly what I meant, thanks for saying it better than I could. As I said, I am engineer, way better with numbers than words!

My intent of the post was not to slam or hurt anyone:hug:

:thumbsup2

For my own knowledge, what exactly is the #1 party school in America? I have a couple guesses, but inquiring minds want to know!

Okay, cruise booking changed! They were able to move our 11C GTY to an OGT without any problems. They transferred the money over to the new booking and I just had to pay the price difference of £27.56! They were also able to transfer our Palo brunch and two excursions over too :goodvibes

Glad you got it sorted - sounded easy to do in the end :)

Hey everybody, just wanted to pass on some info re: weight loss. I saw the posts on FB. There is huge evidence that poor sleep is very much related to weight. Here is part of an article I copied and pasted from APA (I did the bolding):

The cardiometabolic trap
Subsequent studies have confirmed the effects of partial sleep loss on hormone regulation and have led to a burgeoning of research on the role of sleep in obesity, diabetes and cardiovascular disease — a tangled triumvirate of sickness and mortality that are key elements of what researchers sometimes refer to as cardiometabolic disease. In a 2012 article published in the American Journal of Human Biology, UC biomedical anthropologist Kristen Knutson, PhD, reviewed research on sleep and cardiometabolic health and concluded that sleep restriction leads to "substantial and clinically significant changes in appetite regulation, hunger, food intake, glucose metabolism and blood pressure control." Knutson also found a significant association between short sleep duration (less than six hours per night, in most studies) and either more obesity or a higher body mass index. Adolescents and children showed a stronger association, suggesting they may be especially vulnerable to the effects of lost sleep.
One way in which lack of sleep may thwart cardiometabolic health is by skewing people's dietary choices. In a 2011 study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition by a large multicenter team, healthy men and women who were restricted to just four hours of sleep per night over six nights took in significantly more calories, particularly from fat, than their well-rested counterparts — and they didn't make up for it by burning more energy.
Another study, conducted by Arlet Nedeltcheva, MD, and colleagues at UC and published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition in 2009, found that adults who were allowed to sleep only 5.5 hours per night for two weeks indulged in more snacks than their counterparts who enjoyed 8.5 hours of sleep each night. Likewise, in a 2012 yet-to-be-published study that drew on data from the CDC's 2007–08 National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, Knutson, Grandner and colleagues mapped dietary patterns to sleep complaints including difficulty falling asleep, difficulty staying asleep, non-restorative sleep and daytime sleepiness. Every complaint, they found, was significantly associated with greater total caloric intake.
In a 2012 study published in the Annals of Internal Medicine, a team of UC researchers uncovered a molecular clue to how lack of sleep might promote diabetes: Fat cells in people who don't get enough sleep have a 30 percent reduced ability to respond to insulin. Fortunately, the biochemical processes that sleep loss sets in motion may reversible, at least if skipping sleep doesn't become a lifelong habit. In September, psychologist Karen Matthews, PhD, of the University of Pittsburgh, reported in SLEEP that if teens who normally got six hours of sleep per night were allowed just one extra hour of sleep, their insulin resistance improved by 9 percent.

So if you are trying to lose weight for the cruise, make sure you get good sleep (which is literally supposed to be 8 hours)!

Good night!

That's interesting reading, thanks for sharing. I LOVE my sleep anyway :)

I've seen an image floating around on some of the Med forums and other boards of a Mickey ear shape filled with words like Mediterranean, Castaway Cay, Disney Magic etc.

Does anybody know how to change them slightly? I would like to fill it with words just relating to our cruise - thought it would make a great graphic for a t-shirt! :-)

I actually lost weight--I majored in Mathematics, and I started college at 16, so I had to struggle to keep up. I didn't drink, but I did sneak into bars to listen to the bands, so I wasn't exactly a saint.

You may want to call, in 2011 we changed to a GTY & they transferred our air to the new resv with no penalties and we used Disney air. Might be worth a call!
I will! Thank you :goodvibes

Re: Freshman 15, I was just talking to my kids about it last night. But I was talking to them in regards to poor eating habits :rotfl:. They'd had cake earlier and were asking for ice cream after dinner and I said no. Then I was saying how kids tend to put on weight when they first go off to school and I was thinking it might have something to do with not having parents around to tell them that multiple servings of crap a day are bad. I hadn't even thought of the drinking (we've talked to the girls about drinking already, it's an on going conversation here), but that makes sense as a contributing factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter