May 2020 Car Rental Watch

I know. We are suppose to leave May 18th.
Price for my rental starting on May 16 dropped $30. I'm still going on as if the trip is on, but I will be excited if we still go.

We're leaving the 18th also and I'm still planning as if everything's a go. Looks like prices are starting to come down for Alamo. I got a Premium today for 11+ days for $400 so I'm feeling pretty good about that.

We all have our 60 day mark this week. Good luck with your car hunt and your FP picks. Those are always the last two hurdles to planning...(barring virus pandemic closures) :rolleyes:

We're leaving the 18th also and I'm still planning as if everything's a go. Looks like prices are starting to come down for Alamo. I got a Premium today for 11+ days for $400 so I'm feeling pretty good about that.

We all have our 60 day mark this week. Good luck with your car hunt and your FP picks. Those are always the last two hurdles to planning...(barring virus pandemic closures) :rolleyes:
We held off on buying our passes but I need to buy them this week to be eligible to get our fast passes. 😫 Stressful. But I did book a mini van for 388 thus far for 10 days so I’m ok with that for now. Good luck to all and stay safe!! 😷

Last time I tried that with them, they actually did have separate areas for standard and full-size, so I ended up with standard.

How long ago was this? That was not my experience in October, no standard aisle. Can anyone confirm if this has changed?

How long ago was this? That was not my experience in October, no standard aisle. Can anyone confirm if this has changed?
I did not see a standard aisle in January. I don’t worry much because there’s always a bunch of different vehicles. In January I could have chosen a truck or suv as well as sedans.

Pricing for my Alamo rental just dropped $200. I'm now under $400 for a standard SUV. Now I just keep hoping we can all go.

Hi All,
Alamo prices are down again at Costco So you may want to check your rates . I got a 9 day mini van 5/18-5/27 for 356.00. Down 30.00 from yesterday. Keeping the faith that our trip will still happen. 🧚

My Alamo (Costco) mini van rental is down to $286 today! We are going 5/16 - 5/23. When I first checked, I left the 12 pm pick up/drop off defaults in and it was pricing at $313. When I changed it to a 1:00pm pick up and 8:00 am drop off, it dropped even further. Those are the actual times we needed, but just sharing to let you know to play around a bit and maybe you'll find a lower rate!

I got my Alamo rental for 5/8-5/17 (9days) for $370. It was $330 for 8 days yesterday (flights went down a lot for the next day so we rebooked). We aren't Costco members ATM so just went through the regular site.

I'll recheck in the morning as it seems prices go up in the afternoons.

We just cancelled our mid-April trip and have rebooked for May (the 24th through 31st). We have a great rate on a standard pickup with Alamo through Costco ($211 including taxes with the free extra driver). I'll be shocked if it goes lower than that, but considering the current global outlook.....who knows?

Fingers crossed for all of us that May brings brighter days ahead and open theme parks!

We just cancelled our mid-April trip and have rebooked for May (the 24th through 31st). We have a great rate on a standard pickup with Alamo through Costco ($211 including taxes with the free extra driver). I'll be shocked if it goes lower than that, but considering the current global outlook.....who knows?

Fingers crossed for all of us that May brings brighter days ahead and open theme parks!
I've noticed the pick ups are really cheap. We have 6 people or I would have booked one. Also we're missing you by less than a week again. hahahaha

I've noticed the pick ups are really cheap. We have 6 people or I would have booked one. Also we're missing you by less than a week again. hahahaha

Steve drives a truck here at home, so having one in Orlando feels very "comfortable" for us (though the standard pickups that we rent through Alamo are smaller than his Ram.....but we can slum it for a week here and there LOL). Even the smaller trucks give us plenty of space in the back seat for our 2 checked bags and 2 carryons, but for six people they are definitely not an option. I was happy to snag a great rate on a rental to offset some of our other splurges. It's all about balance!

We actually looked at going the previous week, but being able to attend the Orlando Informer meetup (as well as giving as much time as possible for the coronovirus effect to pass) helped us settle on the last week of the month. Hopefully its not too hot (we are accustomed to that first week of May which is usually pretty pleasant). At this point, though, I won't even complain about the temperature as long as we actually get to go and the parks are open. Our theory (or maybe, "desperate hope" is a better description?) is that the parks will almost have to reopen by Memorial Day in order to avoid financial collapse. I suppose we will see. At least late May is beyond the 8 week self quarantine recommendations set out earlier by the CDC.

We did snag a $250 e-credit with Delta by switching our April flights to May. That will certainly help the budget when we book our October airfare!

Not for me personally, but I did book a good rate on a midsize SUV for my former boss. His dates are May 1 to 8, and his all-in price with Thrifty was $224. Reserved through carrentalsavers.com, no special codes or discounts.

Steve drives a truck here at home, so having one in Orlando feels very "comfortable" for us (though the standard pickups that we rent through Alamo are smaller than his Ram.....but we can slum it for a week here and there LOL). Even the smaller trucks give us plenty of space in the back seat for our 2 checked bags and 2 carryons, but for six people they are definitely not an option. I was happy to snag a great rate on a rental to offset some of our other splurges. It's all about balance!

We actually looked at going the previous week, but being able to attend the Orlando Informer meetup (as well as giving as much time as possible for the coronovirus effect to pass) helped us settle on the last week of the month. Hopefully its not too hot (we are accustomed to that first week of May which is usually pretty pleasant). At this point, though, I won't even complain about the temperature as long as we actually get to go and the parks are open. Our theory (or maybe, "desperate hope" is a better description?) is that the parks will almost have to reopen by Memorial Day in order to avoid financial collapse. I suppose we will see. At least late May is beyond the 8 week self quarantine recommendations set out earlier by the CDC.

We did snag a $250 e-credit with Delta by switching our April flights to May. That will certainly help the budget when we book our October airfare!
If I was making a new reservation now we'd probably go with last week too.

In other news we're going next April (after Easter). Here's hoping everything is open come May!

I’m pretty sure my early May trip won’t happen, but check your rates. I’m down to $297 with Alamo through Costco 5/2-5/13

I’m pretty sure my early May trip won’t happen, but check your rates. I’m down to $297 with Alamo through Costco 5/2-5/13
Just an observation but my rate shot up to $401 today. Is it too optimistic of me to think that they’re expecting to be open to raise the price back up?

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter