May 2024 WISH Thread

My sister-in-law just called to tell me that hospice is coming for my brother.

He has battled cancer for the majority of his adult life. He can’t do it anymore. I’m going to say, “ Goodbye” tomorrow.

26 years ago my father died of cancer on Maundy Thursday. We had plans to visit him in Florida in May so he could meet his grand baby. He never got to hold her and it broke my heart. We canceled Florida and instead went to Cape Cod where I felt very close to him and my mom who had passed 11 years earlier.

Now here we are, preparing for Cape Cod while my brother’s passing is imminent. I can’t wait to get there and shut out the real world.

I am supposed to host this week. I would appreciate it if someone could take over for me.
My thoughts are with you and your family.

This week was just not my week. By Friday morning I hit my limit. Stress was just way too high. DD's headache is back. Thankfully we haven't had to go to the ER yet. Her doctor is shocked that with all the meds she is still having issues. Basically the next step is to go to the ER and try to convince them to do the MRI. I hate seeing her like this. I was able to move her MRI up to Thursday so that is good.

DS had a break down on Thursday night. He is under a lot of stress with AP tests, end of the year, graduation, prom and college stuff. It is looking like he will not be able to go to the school he wants to but the break down was a good thing. He needed to get it all out. Now he is able to move forward and he is listening to us. He is not looking at other schools and he has come to terms that he may need to live at home and go to the college in our town. We did just found out he at least got one of the local ones but won't know anything about it until Thursday. He also got our states Grow Your Own scholarship. It is up to $7500 but we don't know his amount and may not know until July. Basically, you work with your home school district and your get a job at the school when you graduate. (he wants to be a teacher). If you change your major or don't work for the school it turns into an interest free loan. SO we have some good things going but the worst is we still don't have all the award letters yet.

I have been stressing myself out with work and trying to do it all. I ended up taking a half day on Friday because I just couldn't do it any longer. It is not helping that I can't get away from work right now since I work with scholarships, college stuff and FAFSA. So I am doing it at work and at home without getting a break. It is not helping that my hip is not getting any better and Friday was a particular bad day for it.

DH has been stressed too just trying to deal with all of us. We all can us a break and a vacation.

This week was just not my week. By Friday morning I hit my limit. Stress was just way too high. DD's headache is back. Thankfully we haven't had to go to the ER yet. Her doctor is shocked that with all the meds she is still having issues. Basically the next step is to go to the ER and try to convince them to do the MRI. I hate seeing her like this. I was able to move her MRI up to Thursday so that is good.

DS had a break down on Thursday night. He is under a lot of stress with AP tests, end of the year, graduation, prom and college stuff. It is looking like he will not be able to go to the school he wants to but the break down was a good thing. He needed to get it all out. Now he is able to move forward and he is listening to us. He is not looking at other schools and he has come to terms that he may need to live at home and go to the college in our town. We did just found out he at least got one of the local ones but won't know anything about it until Thursday. He also got our states Grow Your Own scholarship. It is up to $7500 but we don't know his amount and may not know until July. Basically, you work with your home school district and your get a job at the school when you graduate. (he wants to be a teacher). If you change your major or don't work for the school it turns into an interest free loan. SO we have some good things going but the worst is we still don't have all the award letters yet.

I have been stressing myself out with work and trying to do it all. I ended up taking a half day on Friday because I just couldn't do it any longer. It is not helping that I can't get away from work right now since I work with scholarships, college stuff and FAFSA. So I am doing it at work and at home without getting a break. It is not helping that my hip is not getting any better and Friday was a particular bad day for it.

DH has been stressed too just trying to deal with all of us. We all can us a break and a vacation.
Sending healing thoughts to you and your family as well.

My self-care started yesterday when I pushed thru and did everything my body could possibly handle... indoors and outdoors. In the garden that meant getting everything planted except for dealing with getting the new raised bed cleared out and planted. I tackled that first thing this morning and man, that pitchfork was a brilliant purchase because it was exactly the right tool. I had about two-thirds of the yard waste cleared, dirt put in and dahlias planted in about an hour and a half.

All that is left for the remainder of the day is to do odds-and-ends and to pack. I would love to go out to lunch, but with it being Mother's Day that might be a challenge... I think I might go downtown and wander around and see what's what anyway.

Last edited:

I am so sorry, that’s so so much.

Take time for yourself, your kids, your hubby….work can wait.

My neurologist always told me and DD if we went into the ER for migraines they would do a MRI as a safety precaution…that may be unique to our healthcare system/hospital-i don’t know. But don’t be afraid to go and push for what you need for DD!!

Tried my best to rest today, managed about 5 mins while DH had DS11 and DD out running errands with him. DS9 stayed home and we watched my favorite episode of bluey while we cuddled on the couch. The episodes kept going and I managed to sleep through one of them.
Put up some extra fencing around the garden because the one wasn’t enough to keep out the bunnies. Hopefully this will be enough because if I do a ton more I will have a hard time accessing it.
Last night was the family dance and it ended up being a decent night. DS9 last year insisted on leaving after about 20 mins last night we stayed about 2 hours then DS11 and I went back later to help break down the decorations. DD was funny when we first got there she started literally running laps but once the room started to get crowded she wanted DH to hold her and dance. Was kind of nice to see her get the tiniest bit timid when the crowd rolled in. Makes me hopeful we may be able to ease up on the “child safety tether” soon 🤞

Had a nice Mother's Day so far - presents from DS this morning and went over to see MIL this afternoon. Sister-in-law and two nieces were there too, so nice to see them.

I started the puzzle DS got me, which is definitely a self-care activity for me, and DH and I stopped for burgers at a pub we like on the way home, so no cooking.

I got:
IMG_1540.jpeg
on the quiz. Sometimes that might be accurate. 😆

Motivation Monday: visualization as motivation yay or nay?
Do you use visualization? A landmark to jog to? A fresh veggie left on the counter to cook with? Full on vision board?

I've never really tried it either. My sister and her girls do vision boards every now and then. I don't know if they always accomplish everything on them, but they have fun doing them.

When they talk about it, I think it sounds like such a good idea, but I'm not very good at things like that - I tend to worry too much about what it will look like in the end.

I have in the past, worked toward being able to fit into a pair of pants that don't zip comfortably or something like that though. I was actually thinking this weekend that I need to go through my closet and try on some of my pants. I'm sure some of them don't fit like they should (or some at all unfortunately lol). That's always been a physical goal to be able to see something that didn't fit before - now fit!

Yes and have had really good results… so why don’t I do it more often? I use a written form where you state the vision in three ways: “Lizanne is…”, “ I Lizanne…” and one other that is slipping my mind. There are a couple things I’d like to accomplish so I need to start up again.

I am so sorry, that’s so so much.

Take time for yourself, your kids, your hubby….work can wait.

My neurologist always told me and DD if we went into the ER for migraines they would do a MRI as a safety precaution…that may be unique to our healthcare system/hospital-i don’t know. But don’t be afraid to go and push for what you need for DD!!
Thank you. We were back int he ER last night but they would only do the MRI if they needed to get a Neurosurgeon involved. They did do a CAT scan and more blood work though. All came back normal but they did tell me that the CAT scan won't show the Chiari Malformation that the neurologist wanted the MRI for. But it has ruled out more stuff like a tumor. I have been keeping in contact with the neurologist and updating them and asking questions. They have been great. We just need to get to Thursday for the MRI. They are also going to speed up with upping the dose of the maintainece migraine med too. She took 12.5 mg for a week and just moved up to 25 mg. Instead of waiting to see if that works (good chance it won't at this level at the moment) they are going to have her take 25mg for 5 days and then move up to 37.5 mg. We just need to make it until Thursday.
Motivation Monday: visualization as motivation yay or nay?
Do you use visualization? A landmark to jog to? A fresh veggie left on the counter to cook with? Full on vision board?
I do when I am running. I don't run a lot but When I do I would run to a specific driveway to push myself and then walk for a bit then pick a driveway to start running again and one to stop at.

Thank you for your good wishes and prayers.

I visited him for the last time this weekend. I showed him old photos and we talked about some memories. We prayed. It’s all so heartbreaking.

I returned to school today because I want to use my bereavement days after he passes. My friends keep making me cry. It’s a lot right now. I just want to get out of town ASAP.

Thank you for your good wishes and prayers.

I visited him for the last time this weekend. I showed him old photos and we talked about some memories. We prayed. It’s all so heartbreaking.

I returned to school today because I want to use my bereavement days after he passes. My friends keep making me cry. It’s a lot right now. I just want to get out of town ASAP.

I'm so sorry you're going through this, it had to be so hard 😢

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter