Maybe there should be a "Naughty" list -

This is not just a problem at DVC we have this problem at our TS in Cancun. But there you have to check out towels and if you don't return them, they cost $20. The security staff will go around and clear unused chairs if someone complains or they notice it has not been used in a while.

Too bad the CM can't take note of the unused 3 hour chairs and remove the items to a safe location and release the chairs for use.

During our last stay at HH, while sitting on our balcony (we were in the building behind the slide) reading and enjoying my morning coffee, I would see this same woman come to the pool at approx 7:30 - 8:00 every morning. She would take 12 - 14 lounge chairs, pull them as close to the pool as was permitted and place towels, canvas bags, etc on them, then disappear for a couple of hours. These same people saved the chairs the whole day. I have also done my share of walking around WL and SAB looking for chairs, sometimes resorting to standing and holding towels while the kids would swim. It's amazing how inconsiderate some people can be.

Same old song and dance. Disney & DVC have rules everyone knows aren't enforced, so if one is inclined to break the rules in the first place, there's not much personal risk in facing down the toothless dog ( Disney ). I'm not sure asking nicely will accomplish much of anything except to give us something to get worked up about here on the DIS.

jarestel said:
Same old song and dance. Disney & DVC have rules everyone knows aren't enforced, so if one is inclined to break the rules in the first place, there's not much personal risk in facing down the toothless dog ( Disney ). I'm not sure asking nicely will accomplish much of anything except to give us something to get worked up about here on the DIS.

Well....... what rule was broken by someone trying to reserve a pool lounger ? Didn't see anything in my contract prohibiting the practice. Don't recall ever seeing a sign board at any pool saying not too. Did read anything in my check-in packet reminding me not too.

You are right though.....Disney rarely enforces any of their writen rules. Instead, they end a program or build a wall or some other knee jerk reaction we all have to suffer thru because Disney is afraid to offend someone. They're a 60 billion dollar coward.

Unfortunately at all sorts of resorts chair-reserving is so widespread it is good DVC places a reminder.. some people may not even know it's frowned upon, believe it or not. I remember reading a review a couple years ago from a writer who had brought her family to one of those Hawaii super-resorts, and got schooled by other guests in the art of chair-reserving, and she detailed the whole routine of stealing down to the pool at 7am to reserve your chairs and then not return for 5 or 6 hours. Nowhere in the article did she say it was frowned upon or against the rules, she just noted it was a pain to go such trouble but if you don't you won't have place to sit.

:sad2:

I've noticed CM's at SAB taking towels off of chairs to accommodate new guests.

I also think WDW should put this "rule" in their check-in packs.

I have been frustrated many times as well. We always try to get a table because of the umbrellas. I have often invited others to pull up their chair and share the table. When we don't get a table, no big deal. Usually we will share a lounger for the four of us and put our stuff under the chair (if someone else wants to sit there, go ahead.) But when you see tons of stuff around and no one around, it gets frustrating. I have moved towels before after seeing no one around for awhile. The big problem that happens is that we often have trouble finding a chair. FIL cannot get up from a lounger since they sit so low. He will go a sit on the concrete bench type thing by the BW map, to dry off, as there are no chairs available. I think this is unacceptable when there are charis truly not in use.

I was actually glad to see the notice. At least Disney is acknowledging the problem. Unfortunately, people with an "all for me" attitiude will not be changed by this warning. When we visit Beach Club this summer, we plan on swimming before noon some days, to avoid the crowds and ugliness that happens. Later in the day we'll use the quiet pools.

I would neve touch a chair that had personal items on it -- I am a total wimp and fear confrontation by some vacationing pyscho. But I will move a towel (or ask a CM to do so) on a chair that seems vacant.

I think the other thing that happens is people just don't return the towels to the towel return when they leave the pool area and that makes it look like someone is using those chairs. Now you have the ones who are "reserving" chairs and the ones who actually used them and then were too lazy to put the towels in the return bucket. AS many have said if it is just towels I might move them but I wouldn't move someone's shoes or shirts.

Plus4206 said:
Well....... what rule was broken by someone trying to reserve a pool lounger ? Didn't see anything in my contract prohibiting the practice.

You probably didn't see anything in your contract about re-using mugs, cutting in lines, or smoking in non-smoking areas either. Nevertheless, all these practices tend to fall into one rule category or another. I don't think there is an issue with reserving a chair for your immediate use, but reserving it in the morning for use later in the day does seem kind of lame. Since DVC felt the need to communicate the protocol for proper chair reservations to us, they evidently feel differently than you do.

jarestel said:
You probably didn't see anything in your contract about re-using mugs, cutting in lines, or smoking in non-smoking areas either. Nevertheless, all these practices tend to fall into one rule category or another. I don't think there is an issue with reserving a chair for your immediate use, but reserving it in the morning for use later in the day does seem kind of lame. Since DVC felt the need to communicate the protocol for proper chair reservations to us, they evidently feel differently than you do.

My thoughts exactly. Well said. :earsboy:

Don't get me wrong jarestel, I'm not in favor of reserving pool chairs. My point was that Disney chooses to publish a reminder against the practic in VM rather then putting it in writing at the parks. They also make it sound like this is a DVC issue and not a WDW resort-wide issue.

Personally I detest anyone who tries to "game" the system by basically being rude,arrogant,spoiled or feels entitled to whatever their selfish whimes want. I just can't stand that Disney will turn a blind eye to direct violations ( ie a CM not telling a guest to put out a cigerette or get into a smoking area ) yet they'll post a warning against doing something there is no written policy in the first place.

Are people that reserve pool chairs jerks ? Absolutely. Have hey broken any rules ? No.

Well, those people have certainly broken the rule of politeness and common sense, so they should at least have their hands lightly slapped, but I do agree that it needs to be posted at the pools, and CM's need to enforce it. I noticed that the worst offenders were at VB. They were just horrible! :badpc: I elected not to purchase points at VB because in a full week of arriving at the pool at 8 AM I never got a chair or chaise anywhere except at the kiddie pool! :confused3 There were never more than 6-8 people anywhere in or around the pool, yet personal items were on every chair, chaise, and table in the pool area. when I left the area at noon, no person had yet shown up to use those chairs, chaises, or tables, either! :sad2: They don't arrive from the ocean until after 1PM, yet they kept the entire pool area from being used. It's a good thing I don't have "the Power". There would be alot of scorched a**es walking around VB. :umbrella:

I'm more than a bit amused by the anguish this thread has caused some of us.

We have to all realize that, in a common venture such as this upon which we have embarked, mutual respect and fully valuing everyone's contribution is critical to us fully enjoying the benefits of DVC ownership. Rather than criticizing my fellow DVCers for putting a towel on a pool lounge, I say thank them.

And I really do that. I say, "Thank you fellow DVCer! Thank you for putting my towel on my pool lounge! Had it not been for your thoughtful actions, I might have had to pick up my own towel, and might not even have enjoyed a reserved pool lounge at all. And Hanname to you, sir or madam, as the case may be!"

JimMIA, I was swimming at VB last Monday morning, 8:30, and I guess it does make me laugh to think about how serious those chair savers were. Chairs were counted and recounted, personal items moved just so and then the doer, sighs and says, "Well, next time we come earlier, there aren't any tables" and leaves. Now we had a table and I was leaving in about 1/2 hour, but I kept my mouth shut, it would be my only revenge. My first inclination is to help someone out, I had to bite my tongue. :blush:

I really enjoyed my morning swims on this past trip. SAB from 10-10:30, VB from 8:30 to 9, DH and I had the pools practically to ourselves. I love my DVC!

Bobbi :flower:

bobbiwoz said:
JimMIA, I was swimming at VB last Monday morning, 8:30, and I guess it does make me laugh to think about how serious those chair savers were. Chairs were counted and recounted, personal items moved just so and then the doer, sighs and says, "Well, next time we come earlier, there aren't any tables" and leaves. Now we had a table and I was leaving in about 1/2 hour, but I kept my mouth shut, it would be my only revenge. My first inclination is to help someone out, I had to bite my tongue. :blush:
Your chair savers are SO lucky it was you there instead of me!

Cruelladeville said:
They don't arrive from the ocean until after 1PM, yet they kept the entire pool area from being used.

An interesting theory concerning the origin of these rude creatures. I can just imagine them rising from the ocean depths and striding ashore. :rotfl:

The thing that really bugs me about this conversation is not so much that I might go to the pool and not have chairs (because if there is just a towel there, I am taking the chair) is that all this use of towels to reserve chairs is COSTING US MONEY!!! If the CMs go by and take up towels (which is appears they do from time to time from what you all are saying) then those towels have to go in the dirty towel bin. I know it wouldn't be much extra laundry in one day, but for lots of people, you are looking at 2 times the laundry to be done in a single day if they actually are coming back to the pool. I suppose that most people probably leave things behind that they don't care if they get stolen. I was surprised at OKW to have to show a room key to get towels (although I got as many as I asked for) - what time does that place open? If it is opening BEFORE the lifeguards are on duty, then maybe that needs to change. Perhaps moving it to where the CM handing out towels is within eyesight of the main pool area would make a difference. Most people that are getting towels and simply walking over and ploping them on chairs and leaving would not be so bold if there wasa CM watching for this type of behavior.

I am not really upset about this, but I hate to think that our maintenance fees are going up because of this and I am sure to some degree, it is costing all of us. The fact that its in the DVC news means that they are taking notice. I am sure it is not just directly aimed at DVCers and that everyone will be told to knock it off (in polite Disney terms). We swim late, so I doubt it will ever effect my family except in terms of $$$. :sad2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter