Maybe there should be a "Naughty" list -

CarolMN

DVC Co-Moderator
Super Moderator
First came the "pool hopping" reminders, then the "requests are not guaranteed" reminder. And now look what just showed up for the first time in the June Member Clubhouse:

Poolside seating in high demand
With the busy summer travel season underway, pools are becoming popular hot spots at Disney Vacation Club Resorts.

As a reminder, pool areas have a limited number of chairs and therefore can't be reserved for future use. Out of consideration for others, please refrain from leaving towels or personal items on pool chairs when not in use.

"We want as many Members and Guests as possible to be able to enjoy our pool areas," said Disney Vacation Club Resorts General Manager Sonya Deese-Byrnes. "Having all unoccupied pool chairs available for the immediate enjoyment of others is a huge help."

Anyone care to venture a guess as to what will be next? I think I am waitng for the Disney version of "Please bring your manners with you when you visit!" to appear in next month's Clubhouse! :rolleyes:

Makes me sad to think that DVC has to publish such things -

I'm beginning to think we were way too hard on that poor CM who first broke the news on the "Naughty" list. JMHO. YMMV.

Best wishes -

I agree it is tough to see that sort of "Reminder" needs to be given, but apparently it is a large enough problem.

We have never gone in the summer months and the times we have gone even if the pool was busy it wasn't "crowded". However for future reference I'd love some advice/suggestions on what do others do with their personal stuff? Normally there are three of us going to the pool together and we have flip flops, key cards, tee shirts, sunglasses etc. We have always picked a chair away from areas that look like they'd be needed and put all our stuff together just for somewhere to put it. The ground isn't a good option, even if you could somehow manage to keep everything on top of shoes.

What do others do with your things while swimming?
Thanks for any suggestions.
ML

I am guessing that this is not a "those darn DVC people", but more of a remind whoever you can however you can.

I was at BCV in April. We could go to the quiet pool and have no problem at all getting a chair EVER. When going to SAB i must have gone around that place three times to find 2 seats. Nothing but a sea of towels on chairs. Do a quick head count of the area and it was easy 4-1 towels to heads. No personal items just towels. When i was in, i had my stuff on the chair.

I say if you want a chair, leave $200 cash on it, that way we'll know you are serious and in the area, and not a chair pig.

We will sometimes bring our own lawnchairs with us no worries then. Mind you we always drive down so we can bring them.

or... DVCC , Disneys Vacation Chair Club. For $40 per point you can join the chair timeshare and be sure of having your own pool lounge chair for your vacation. Save your points for a Grand Lounge Set including table and cooler for grand gatherings.

DaveT1 said:
or... DVCC , Disneys Vacation Chair Club. For $40 per point you can join the chair timeshare and be sure of having your own pool lounge chair for your vacation. Save your points for a Grand Lounge Set including table and cooler for grand gatherings.

:rotfl:

at BWV last june we had trouble finding lounge chairs most of the time. the four of us would share 2 :(

Families usually need one chair for thier use. To often, four chairs are cluttered with stuff, three kids are in the pool and one parent is guarding the empty chairs that hold the family "pool stuff".

CarolMN said:

Poolside seating in high demand
With the busy summer travel season underway, pools are becoming popular hot spots at Disney Vacation Club Resorts.

As a reminder, pool areas have a limited number of chairs and therefore can't be reserved for future use. Out of consideration for others, please refrain from leaving towels or personal items on pool chairs when not in use.

"We want as many Members and Guests as possible to be able to enjoy our pool areas," said Disney Vacation Club Resorts General Manager Sonya Deese-Byrnes. "Having all unoccupied pool chairs available for the immediate enjoyment of others is a huge help."
Unfortunately, I think a note like this will have little impact on those who seem to make it a habit and have little reservation in being inconsiderate to others.

MLK-RI: I don't think this is pointed at folks who are in the pool and have left their stuff on a chair. I'm suspecting this isn't even for a group that each has a chair and just took a dip. I suspect this notice is for people who trot down to the pool at 9 AM, put a towel or beach bag on 2 or 3 chairs and head off to the parks so they will have a chair "reserved" when they come back to the pool in the afternoon. When every chair is taken with some piece of property and there are only a dozen folks in the pool, it sure looks like "reservations" are being attempted (or they are all at the bottom of the pool?) :rotfl2:

DaveT1 said:

Any idea what the maintenance fee would be and what part of the fee can be declared on income tax. :rolleyes1

We were at SSR this past weekend, there was a sign by the towels, something to the effect of, Please don't use the towels to reserve the lounge chairs, when your're not at the pool.
I think it is a good idea, but I don't think it will do much good. People that are selfish and throw the towels over the chairs and go to the Parks, will continue to do so.

:earsgirl: :earsboy:

If I can't find an empty chair, I'll just take someone's chair that just has a towel on it. Doesn't matter to me. The odds are the person isn't in the pool area. If they are, and they say something to me, it's just a matter of "oh this chair had no towel on it." If you want to reserve a chair while you are in the pool, put your shoes on it or your bag. Towels just mean "I'm too lazy to put my towel in the used towel bin" to me.

I stayed at the Poly in April. One day, I was by the pool reading a book for about 3 hours. I had a good chair. I noticed a cabana in the sand with two lounge chairs that had a bunch of stuff on it (towels, bag, etc.). It was obviously being used by someone, right? The ENTIRE 3 hours I was there not one person ever used that cabana and chairs. Not one. They were obviously at a park for the day and reserved the hard to get cabanas for themselves. :sad2:

I wish Disney would provide cubbies. There are things a person brings to a pool (sunscreen, your own towel, flip flops). They don't take up a whole chair, but without anywhere to stash stuff, it gets set on a chair.

Now, if I had seen stuff abandoned for three hours on a chair, I think I'd be overwhelmed with the assumption that someone had forgotten their things when they were at the pool, and being the concientious person I am, and knowing I wouldn't want to lose my stuff, would have turned it in to lost and found.

Disney could (and should) use a system like "one hour parking" uses. There they chalk mark your tires. If the mark is still there when the parking attendant checks back in a few hours, they tow your car. Disney could leave plastic tokens on unattended stuff. At 1:00pm, they set a yellow token on chairs with stuff. If you get out of the pool at 1:15, you can remove the token and give it to a lifeguard or drop it in a box by the towel returns. At 2:00 or 3:00 they come around, collect all the stuff with yellow tokens on it and bring it to lost and found, put red tokens out. It would take all of ten minutes (longer at SAB) every hour or two. And once it got out that this is what Disney did, they wouldn't have to do it too often.

This would take a little bit of time, but what if CMs laid a towel on each chair at the beginning of the day? You could then assume that a towel on a chair had been placed there by a CM, and it would be no obstacle (even to the squeamish) to using the chair yourself. Personally, I take great joy in using chairs that I think someone has attempted to reserve with a towel.

That would still leave the matter of personal items, but there have already been some good suggestions about that.

This somewhat-tongue-in-cheek suggestion was inspired by our experience on a recent DCL cruise, when DS and I arrived at the Mickey pool a little before 9AM on a day-at-sea, to find each and every deck chair covered by a carefully placed towel, just as if a CM had placed them there! But not a single chair was in use, and there were only a couple kids in the pool!

At least on DCL there is a sternly worded boldface message in each Navigator (daily newsletter) stating that reserving chairs is forbidden. The same needs to be placed on a "pool rules" sign at WDW pools.

Melrosgirl said:
The odds are the person isn't in the pool area. If they are, and they say something to me, it's just a matter of "oh this chair had no towel on it."

I think this is the most practical approach. If someone shows up slide over to one of the 100 other chairs with a white towel on them.

erikthewise said:
At least on DCL there is a sternly worded boldface message in each Navigator (daily newsletter) stating that reserving chairs is forbidden. The same needs to be placed on a "pool rules" sign at WDW pools.

Hear hear!!

We've seen plenty of chair hogging at WL and at SAB. At WL we once had to spend 45 minutes hunting down free chairs one by one and dragging them over (one from the quiet pool) before our family could sit down next to row after row of toweled chairs with no occupants. And at SAB "conventional wisdom" is that you have to mark off your chairs by 8 AM during high season or you won't have a place to sit when you come to the pool at 3 PM. It's a self-perpetuating behavior: the more people do it, the more people need to do it to get chairs. And it's rude.

I did not feel scolded by DVC's remarks about this. On the contrary, I wish people would be more considerate; and I wish that the staff would pick up towels on the frequent occasions when they see fully dressed families come down, spread them on chairs and then leave.

Sounds like we need pool chair parking meters. Feed it a dime every 1/2 hour or you lose your chair. :rotfl:

We were at BCV/SAB last week, and we swam in the afternoon or early morning and were able to find toweless lounge chairs at SAB without too much walking. Last year, DH was frustrated at SAB and talked to a CM who just went over took off some towels and said that no one had been using those chairs, and so, we could, that was the "policy." There was no problem with getting a chair at the quiet pool at BCV.

AT VB the pool opens at 8, and there were very many lounges with not only a towel, but perhaps an empty looking canvas bag on them (as if that made a difference) way before there were that many people in the pool area.

We don't stay in any pool area that long, probably 1-2 hours max each time.
I know there was a thread about a CM pool worker taking towels off lounges at the BWV, and if that's what would need to be done, I'm all for it.

I do agree that if people would just be considerate everyone would enjoy themselves more. Too many people think they are exceptions to every rule.

Bobbi :flower:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter