• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Miami airport - has anyone connected via Miami? Have tips/warnings/info?

yes, that definitely makes sense if you land in the evening..
our flight lands at 6:30 am so we would be wasting a day in miami...
i just got a quote from Mears...
it's not bad....about 30% less than it would cost to go by air.....
and faster as well...

I would never say no to wasting a day in Miami. I love it. My hubby on the other hand hates the place.

Did you book the mears?

I'm doing DOH-MIA, 17 hours straight, next month. Wondering about testing inside the airport. But I guess I'm in the wrong forum here.

I'm doing DOH-MIA, 17 hours straight, next month. Wondering about testing inside the airport. But I guess I'm in the wrong forum here.

argggh.....17 hours!!! our last flight to florida was a 13.5 hour nonstop to orlando...
i fell asleep and when i woke up thought, "i've slept forever, we must almost be there"..
wrong...we still had 8 hours to go LOL...
sadly our airline no longer flies to orlando, so miami it is..
as for testing..
i think you have to be tested before you board the plane, not when you reach the USA.
But i could very well be wrong..
in any case, covid rules are constantly changing!!

I’m actually excited as I’m crossing Qsuites off the bucket list.
Yep, I will get tested before departure, but wanted to get tested upon arrival as well, just want to play it safe. I travelled a few times in the pandemic and know there are many hurdles to jump. But now it seems my AstraZeneca is accepted in the US so things will ease up a bit. I’m gonna take a few at-home-tests with me to check myself every 5 days.
Are you flying from Ben Gurion?

Btw, I changed planes in MIA once, 9 years ago. My luggage didn’t make it on the same flight, no big deal as it came on the next one 4 hours later.

this time I’m flying into MIA on purpose to visit friends in Palm Beach on my way to Orlando.

Last edited:
i've had drives like that. Very scary indeed!!!!

Many years ago we got off an Orlando to Manchester flight, I then drove home to Scotland - about 5 hours. Never thought anything at the time but the next day I genuinely had a sketchy memory of the drive up the road, it was like I'd dreamt it. Obviously I hadn't been drinking or anything, it must have been total fatigue but thought I felt 'normal' at the time. A very strange experience and quite scary, Ive never driven in that sort of situation again.

Many years ago we got off an Orlando to Manchester flight, I then drove home to Scotland - about 5 hours. Never thought anything at the time but the next day I genuinely had a sketchy memory of the drive up the road, it was like I'd dreamt it. Obviously I hadn't been drinking or anything, it must have been total fatigue but thought I felt 'normal' at the time. A very strange experience and quite scary, Ive never driven in that sort of situation again.

at least you were on the "correct" side of the road on your drive home to Scotland.
I'm an american expat, so driving on the roads in florida aren't an issue for me (except for all the insane drivers!!!), but i can never figure out how Brits are able to do it, especially after a long flight!!

where are you from in Scotland?
Scotland's on my bucket list. One day!

I’m actually excited as I’m crossing Qsuites off the bucket list.
Yep, I will get tested before departure, but wanted to get tested upon arrival as well, just want to play it safe. I travelled a few times in the pandemic and know there are many hurdles to jump. But now it seems my AstraZeneca is accepted in the US so things will ease up a bit. I’m gonna take a few at-home-tests with me to check myself every 5 days.
Are you flying from Ben Gurion?

Btw, I changed planes in MIA once, 9 years ago. My luggage didn’t make it on the same flight, no big deal as it came on the next one 4 hours later.

this time I’m flying into MIA on purpose to visit friends in Palm Beach on my way to Orlando.

i'm not familiar with Qatar Airways. I'll take a look.
I'm more familiar with the airlines out of the UAE.
Friends have flown Emirates and really like it.
It's slightly more difficult to get to Doha, since there aren't any nonstops there like there are to Dubai, though i could go via Amman.

I'm happy with El Al, though i also fly Delta if i have to get to Detroit (which is basically owned by Delta).
Delta's ok, though the Delta crews can be hit or miss. The El Al crews in my experience are really nice.

On that flight that was direct to Orlando (in 2019), it was just my daughter and me on the flight.
We were in business class, so it was easier to sleep those 13.5 hours.
What was nice, it was the first time we'd ever been able to fly non-stop to orlando without having to stop anywhere.
We usually have to go through JFK which is hell on earth.
So while we were exhausted when we arrived in Orlando, when we got to immigration i looked at the officer and said, "we're here!!!!! we don't have to connect!!!! it's so exciting!!!"
I was so excited and enthusiastic, the immigration officer broke out laughing. It was 5:30 in the morning. He couldn't believe how happy i was to have flown for so long.
But no connecting flight!!! it was fantastic!!!

On the transatlantic flights in 2022, we'll be on the dreamliner, but since it's 9 of us in the group and i'm footing the bill, we'll mostly be in premium, not business.
My daughter and son in law will be in business, but he broke his back a number of years ago, and it's really too painful for him in anything but business.
Plus they're flying into miami with us, but on the way back they're flying from los angeles, which is 15.5 hours. Way too many hours not to be in business.

Hopefully, premium will be good.
At least it's a small cabin - just 3 rows. We have one entire row. My son, daughter in law and 3 grandkids, plus my husband and me.

Actually, last year when Israel signed with the UAE, i looked at the flights out of Dubai to see if there was anything into Orlando for us.
But it didn't really work.

Now that i think about it, we did fly KLM via Amsterdam one year directly into Orlando from Amsterdam, which theoretically is good.
But we got stuck in Amsterdam for 12 hours because the plane had technical problems.
Eventually they switched the plane, but only after we were stuck in Schiphol all day.
Had i known at the start that it would be that long, i would have taken the kids into the city, but they kept delaying by one hour at a time.
That was when my kids were little and i was flying with them by myself. Definitely not fun.

Americans have no idea what some of us go through to visit the Florida mouse LOL

i'm not familiar with Qatar Airways. I'll take a look.
I'm more familiar with the airlines out of the UAE.
Friends have flown Emirates and really like it.
It's slightly more difficult to get to Doha, since there aren't any nonstops there like there are to Dubai, though i could go via Amman.

I'm happy with El Al, though i also fly Delta if i have to get to Detroit (which is basically owned by Delta).
Delta's ok, though the Delta crews can be hit or miss. The El Al crews in my experience are really nice.

On that flight that was direct to Orlando (in 2019), it was just my daughter and me on the flight.
We were in business class, so it was easier to sleep those 13.5 hours.
What was nice, it was the first time we'd ever been able to fly non-stop to orlando without having to stop anywhere.
We usually have to go through JFK which is hell on earth.
So while we were exhausted when we arrived in Orlando, when we got to immigration i looked at the officer and said, "we're here!!!!! we don't have to connect!!!! it's so exciting!!!"
I was so excited and enthusiastic, the immigration officer broke out laughing. It was 5:30 in the morning. He couldn't believe how happy i was to have flown for so long.
But no connecting flight!!! it was fantastic!!!

On the transatlantic flights in 2022, we'll be on the dreamliner, but since it's 9 of us in the group and i'm footing the bill, we'll mostly be in premium, not business.
My daughter and son in law will be in business, but he broke his back a number of years ago, and it's really too painful for him in anything but business.
Plus they're flying into miami with us, but on the way back they're flying from los angeles, which is 15.5 hours. Way too many hours not to be in business.

Hopefully, premium will be good.
At least it's a small cabin - just 3 rows. We have one entire row. My son, daughter in law and 3 grandkids, plus my husband and me.

Actually, last year when Israel signed with the UAE, i looked at the flights out of Dubai to see if there was anything into Orlando for us.
But it didn't really work.

Now that i think about it, we did fly KLM via Amsterdam one year directly into Orlando from Amsterdam, which theoretically is good.
But we got stuck in Amsterdam for 12 hours because the plane had technical problems.
Eventually they switched the plane, but only after we were stuck in Schiphol all day.
Had i known at the start that it would be that long, i would have taken the kids into the city, but they kept delaying by one hour at a time.
That was when my kids were little and i was flying with them by myself. Definitely not fun.

Americans have no idea what some of us go through to visit the Florida mouse LOL
Yeah, it doesn't make sense for you to fly east first only to then fly west...I live in Amman and wanted to fly QSuites once in my life. I love Emirates, their First Class suites are beyond awesome and so is their crew. Flown them every time when traveling to Asia. Its only myself so easier to justify the cost. RJ is ok, but Im spoiled:P. I fly them all the time for work.

Enjoy your trip!

Yeah, it doesn't make sense for you to fly east first only to then fly west...I live in Amman and wanted to fly QSuites once in my life. I love Emirates, their First Class suites are beyond awesome and so is their crew. Flown them every time when traveling to Asia. Its only myself so easier to justify the cost. RJ is ok, but Im spoiled:P. I fly them all the time for work.

Enjoy your trip!

You'll enjoy the QSuite (though not as good as the Emirates First class suites). Though the QSuites were useful when traveling with a work colleague as they can be set up as almost a little office.

Enjoy your trip!

i've never been to Amman.
My husband was when he flew via Amman to get to Kazakhstan.
You can fly to Kazakhstan easily from Israel but ben gurion went on strike.
He had to get to a really important meeting, so he arranged to be driven to Amman, since obviously he couldn't fly there because of the strike.
There's an airport VIP service here.
They took him from our house to the land border crossing and from there, a VIP service from Alia airport took him to the airport.
He flew via turkey which is totally odd, but it was all at the last minute to get to the meeting despite the strike.
To get to Asia, we fly El Al, which has nonstops to Beijing, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Bangkok, etc, but there are people who fly via Amman and i think they then switch to Emirates or maybe RJ, not sure.
People complain about El Al, but i like their service.

You'll enjoy the QSuite (though not as good as the Emirates First class suites). Though the QSuites were useful when traveling with a work colleague as they can be set up as almost a little office.
I‘m expecting that. But I guess still better than Emirates business. I think only Singapore suites can keep up with Emirates suites. To be fair, I haven’t been on any others. When I booked there was no first class available on the Emirates route yet. Now I think it’s crazy expensive.

Last edited:
at least you were on the "correct" side of the road on your drive home to Scotland.
I'm an american expat, so driving on the roads in florida aren't an issue for me (except for all the insane drivers!!!), but i can never figure out how Brits are able to do it, especially after a long flight!!

where are you from in Scotland?
Scotland's on my bucket list. One day!

A town called Carnoustie on the east coast. Familiar to golfers the world over; but probably nobody else 😀

A town called Carnoustie on the east coast. Familiar to golfers the world over; but probably nobody else 😀

never heard of it.
Crazily i've been to the UK numerous times for work, but never manage to get away from London.
I've always wanted to visit Edinburgh, but never had the time.
Perhaps one day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter