Mild disaster...

I can't even imagine how stressful that must be. Something similar happened to my dad when he was going to fly to meet us at WDW. Several days in advance he got an email that his flight was canceled due to "technical issues". He thought it was sketchy they would cancel a flight so far in advance for a technical difficulty and he's convinced they didn't sell enough seats and just canceled the flight. Who knows. I really hope everything works out for you... At least you're flexible enough to be able to add an extra day.

Op I'm so sorry! This thread is giving me anxiety. That is the EXACT flight (289) that we'll be on in September from JFK. I would be so mad.

I'm on Long Island, but we didn't get a storm today?! Is it supposed to be tomorrow morning?

Same! The iPhone weather area doesn't have any rain forecast...not the most reliable thing though. I figured it was rain elsewhere that just happened to effect certain planes. So bizarre.
I can't even imagine how stressful that must be. Something similar happened to my dad when he was going to fly to meet us at WDW. Several days in advance he got an email that his flight was canceled due to "technical issues". He thought it was sketchy they would cancel a flight so far in advance for a technical difficulty and he's convinced they didn't sell enough seats and just canceled the flight. Who knows. I really hope everything works out for you... At least you're flexible enough to be able to add an extra day.

Airlines can be real jerks sometimes. And yeah, luckily we took off an extra day that was meant to be a recuperate day after the trip but we're happy to give it up if it means getting a lost Disney day back. I'm confident it'll work out but having to wait until morning to sort it out is agonizing.

Jet Blue cancels flights all the time. Booked a flight with a 4 hour connection window. They changed the time so i ended up having to fly into FLL the night before my connecting flight. Jet Blue arrives in San Juan 10:30 am with next flight to st croix at 1:18 . 5 minutes later flight delayed until 6 pm. They flew to every freaking island before they came back to get us in san juan. I raised he%& and ended up with $500 flight credit. Fight. You got this.

There technically were other options available but it was incredibly expensive because of how last minute it was, even if we were reimbursed by JetBlue (there's six of us) And even if we did go for it, at this point they're likely all gone, with the other people on our flight doing the same last minute scrambling.

They cancelled the flight. You don't get charged for them to get you on another flight. If JB has arrangements with other airlines they should have looked at that.

Call JetBlue again and see if they can put you on another airline. American did this to us for our Hawaii vacation this summer. It took over an hour on hold/talking to an agent, but we finally got rebooked on United at almost identical flight times.

They cancelled the flight. You don't get charged for them to get you on another flight. If JB has arrangements with other airlines they should have looked at that.

This arrangement is known as an interline agreement. Essentially, it allows one airline to endorse travel on another airline.

Unfortunately, JetBlue does not have interline agreements with any other US domestic airlines. As such, when they enter "irregular operations" (sometimes called IROPs), passengers tend to not have many options.

Other US airlines that do not have interline agreements include Frontier, Allegiant, and Spirit. Technically, Southwest doesn't have them, either. But, Southwest has significantly more airplanes (and people to fly/operate those plane) when compared to other carriers. Therefore, the risk is lowered when it comes to Southwest.

Airline Comparisons:
  • Southwest: 735 airplanes serving 101 destinations
  • JetBlue: 233 airplanes serving 106 destinations
  • Spirit: 105 airplanes serving 60 destinations
  • Allegiant: 94 airplanes serving 150 destinations
  • Frontier: 69 airplanes serving 62 destinations

This arrangement is known as an interline agreement. Essentially, it allows one airline to endorse travel on another airline.

Unfortunately, JetBlue does not have interline agreements with any other US domestic airlines. As such, when they enter "irregular operations" (sometimes called IROPs), passengers tend to not have many options.

Other US airlines that do not have interline agreements include Frontier, Allegiant, and Spirit. Technically, Southwest doesn't have them, either. But, Southwest has significantly more airplanes (and people to fly/operate those plane) when compared to other carriers. Therefore, the risk is lowered when it comes to Southwest.

Airline Comparisons:
  • Southwest: 735 airplanes serving 101 destinations
  • JetBlue: 233 airplanes serving 106 destinations
  • Spirit: 105 airplanes serving 60 destinations
  • Allegiant: 94 airplanes serving 150 destinations
  • Frontier: 69 airplanes serving 62 destinations
And this is why I've started flying SW more often. Between their flight changes being so rare, and the ability to change flights with no fees, and two checked bags free....it's a no brainer. I love JB, but they've changed or cancelled so many of our flights that I'm getting gun shy!

And this is why I've started flying SW more often. Between their flight changes being so rare, and the ability to change flights with no fees, and two checked bags free....it's a no brainer. I love JB, but they've changed or cancelled so many of our flights that I'm getting gun shy!

Yep, Southwest is above all the other airlines for sure! The bummer for me is that they don't fly into my parents' area so I end up having to fly United... which still isn't too bad. Last year they gave me a $600 voucher for volunteering to take a later flight on Christmas Eve!

DD#2 had SW change a flight on her last month. She was flying Omaha to Portland. 6 am and they cancelled the flight at 11pm the night before. She got the email on the way to the airport (was in bed when the email was sent, and only had time for a quick shower and then we were out the door that morning at 4am). They wouldn't transfer her ticket to another airline, they said they could only put her on stand-by for a flight out of Omaha to Vegas, and then Vegas to Portland. Pretty bad for her, since she had her 15 month old son. She did get the stand by flights, but it was nerve wracking for her.

The reason they gave was that there was a problem in Washington and they needed the crew/plane there.

She got a $100 credit out of it.

Update: Our new flight is set for tomorrow morning, and we were able to extend our stay at the resort for a day and pick a new flight home to make up for the time lost. All is well now. Hopefully that's the total extent of our problems this trip...this is our I think sixth trip to WDW and we never had such a crazy last minute problem like this.

We might've been able to make a stink about the cancellation and get some kind of credit out of it but eh. We're just happy everything is back in order.

WE are flying out of Newark to Orlando in August and the flight we are taking at 1:19pm was 5 hours late taking off today. I have been checking JetBlue flights daily from Newark to Orlando and it seems almost everyday one flight is CANCELLED. I am so sorry I didn't fly out of Westchester like we usually do. Always fly jetblue but it seems like lately they have MANY delayed and cancelled flights.

That actually was my first thought. Although coming from NY we would have gotten there the same time.

It's an idea. At least you're on your way. You couldn't get a flight out of Scranton, Harrisburg, DC area, or Baltimore?

That might've been worth the drive.

We have learned to avoid JFK layovers on Jetblue due to delays out of that airport specifically. Never had a cancellation or delay on Jetblue out of any other airport.

Yep, Southwest is above all the other airlines for sure! The bummer for me is that they don't fly into my parents' area so I end up having to fly United... which still isn't too bad. Last year they gave me a $600 voucher for volunteering to take a later flight on Christmas Eve!
Happens to all airlines. My 9pm flight to night was cancelled on me 12 hours ago. Was supposed to fly from Newark to MCO. After waiting 2 hours on the phone, they could re-accommodate me on Tuesday out of Newark. I am instead flying out of Philly tomorrow nite.

Happens to all airlines. My 9pm flight to night was cancelled on me 12 hours ago. Was supposed to fly from Newark to MCO. After waiting 2 hours on the phone, they could re-accommodate me on Tuesday out of Newark. I am instead flying out of Philly tomorrow nite.

I was referring to the other poster's comment about SW - it is definitely better in terms of free bags and no change fees!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter