Military Salute tickets

teacher31

DIS Veteran
Have a problem. Bought 5 Salute tickets Feb 2020 for a May trip. Covid hit. They extended the expiration date to 9/21. Problem is, the military member can’t get there even by then. Shades won’t refund and tells me to contact Disney. Disney says it is Shades fault. Meanwhile, we are looking at eating $1677 simply due to the fact to get fast passes you HAVE to purchase ahead of time. Anyone have a similar experience and how did it end?

Although not a perfect solution, the value of the tickets should be able to be applied to regular tickets.

You may not get the same "value" (lets say you have 5 day mil hoppers).....but you may get something greater than zero...............like a 3 day base ticket, for example.

Military tickets are not like regular tickets in that if the Military tickets are not used,
they do not automatically retain their value.

But, since this case involves the covid shutdown, some compensation may be offered.

Robo - who “holds the value’ of the ticket? If they can hold the value, they are opting not to refund. We are in a very unique situation. Most military will be able to make it before the expiration. Our military is not able to travel off island yet.

There is no chance the military member's situation may change in the next 6 months?

If not, I'd honestly try Shades again. What exactly have both SoG and Disney said to you? I'd ask SoG specifically if they will honor the value of the tickets toward the purchase of future tickets, because of the current situation, and the reason why the member cannot use them (military orders).

I found this at MilitaryDisneyTips.com:

"Disney advises you to return tickets that you cannot use due to your military schedule to your Ticket Office [in this case I guess that would be SoG]. When you are told that the tickets are non-refundable Disney recommends asking again. If all else fails Disney says to call their Reservation Number at 407-939-5277 to ask for assistance . . . and to definitely get Disney Military Sales involved. This is the Disney department that deals with the MWR system. . .. Disney Armed Forces Salute Tickets can be upgraded to any Annual Pass. By doing this you would not lose the value paid. However, most passes are considerably more than the Salute tickets. This must be done in person at Disney ticket booths, or can be done at Shades of Green for tickets purchased there, prior to the expiration date of the ticket."

Best of luck.

Last edited:
"Disney advises you to return tickets that you cannot use due to your military schedule to your Ticket Office [in this case I guess that would be SoG]. When you are told that the tickets are non-refundable Disney recommends asking again. If all else fails Disney says to call their Reservation Number at 407-939-5277 to ask for assistance . . . and to definitely get Disney Military Sales involved. This is the Disney department that deals with the MWR system. . .. Disney Armed Forces Salute Tickets can be upgraded to any Annual Pass. By doing this you would not lose the value paid. However, most passes are considerably more than the Salute tickets.
This must be done in person at Disney ticket booths, or can be done at Shades of Green for tickets purchased there,
prior to the expiration date of the ticket."

But, absolutely keep calling now.

"Disney advises you to return tickets that you cannot use due to your military schedule to your Ticket Office [in this case I guess that would be SoG]. When you are told that the tickets are non-refundable Disney recommends asking again. If all else fails Disney says to call their Reservation Number at 407-939-5277 to ask for assistance . . . and to definitely get Disney Military Sales involved. This is the Disney department that deals with the MWR system. . .. Disney Armed Forces Salute Tickets can be upgraded to any Annual Pass. By doing this you would not lose the value paid. However, most passes are considerably more than the Salute tickets. This must be done in person at Disney ticket booths, or can be done at Shades of Green for tickets purchased there, prior to the expiration date of the ticket."

Best of luck.

I don't believe any type of tickets can be upgraded to AP right now, since APs are not being sold. Only renewals of current APs, and, on a case by case basis, former passholders, or those with a family member turning 3, have been permitted to buy a new one.

But I agree, as I wrote above, that if there is no way the military member's circumstances will change in the next 6 months, they should continue to be (nicely) persistent with SoG.

I am the military member in my family. When you buy from SOG, you actually get the tickets, not the vouchers that you usually get from the base. I have always accompanied my family when using these tickets, but I can absolutely tell you that I have never been asked to show my military ID when using these tickets other than when I bought them on base and received vouchers instead of tickets. When you use the vouchers you actually have to go to activate them at the parks, but the SOG tickets are good to go as soon as you receive them. May be a bit of a gamble, but I don't really think you would have an issue using the tickets with or without the military member? I may be totally wrong about this, so please let me know if anyone has had a different experience.

I am the military member in my family. When you buy from SOG, you actually get the tickets, not the vouchers that you usually get from the base. I have always accompanied my family when using these tickets, but I can absolutely tell you that I have never been asked to show my military ID when using these tickets other than when I bought them on base and received vouchers instead of tickets. When you use the vouchers you actually have to go to activate them at the parks, but the SOG tickets are good to go as soon as you receive them. May be a bit of a gamble, but I don't really think you would have an issue using the tickets with or without the military member? I may be totally wrong about this, so please let me know if anyone has had a different experience.

We have used the salute tickets from SoG for 4 years now, and our experience has been the same, that we have not been asked for ID at any point in the use of the tickets.

However, we would not try to use them if the military member or spouse was not there. I don't want to sound preachy (but probably will...), but the terms and conditions of the tickets are that the military member or spouse purchases and uses one of them. You signed your name to that agreement when you bought the tickets. And Disney does reserve the right to request proof of eligibility even for these tickets. I have read reports of others being asked. I'm not sure if those cases had extenuating circumstances, or if we have just been lucky.

We have used the military discounts since they started the current salute program in 2009. We appreciate it very much, and wouldn't ever want to jeopardize these benefits.

I recognize that you are trying to help, and it is very likely that what you propose would work seamlessly. The OP will have to weigh their options. It's a tough call!

This is correct and has been our experience as well.

We have used the salute tickets from SoG for 4 years now, and our experience has been the same, that we have not been asked for ID at any point in the use of the tickets.

However, we would not try to use them if the military member or spouse was not there. I don't want to sound preachy (but probably will...), but the terms and conditions of the tickets are that the military member or spouse purchases and uses one of them. You signed your name to that agreement when you bought the tickets. And Disney does reserve the right to request proof of eligibility even for these tickets. I have read reports of others being asked. I'm not sure if those cases had extenuating circumstances, or if we have just been lucky.

We have used the military discounts since they started the current salute program in 2009. We appreciate it very much, and wouldn't ever want to jeopardize these benefits.

I recognize that you are trying to help, and it is very likely that what you propose would work seamlessly. The OP will have to weigh their options. It's a tough call!
Respectfully, and I understand your position, but the chances of what the pp posted "working seamlessly" is about 99%. That scenario worked 100% of the time for you (I understand you had the mil member, but Disney didn't know that.) I've never heard of or seen any reports in which salute tix were purchased (already activated from SoG, not the vouchers you get from your base that still need activated) and Disney World ever asked to see a military id. I'll always leave a 1% chance, but the reality is what the pp proposed would work fine. Obviously not ideal, but the OP nor the country have been or are in an ideal situation.

I agree with all of this. However, if there has been a pandemic that cancelled the originally planned trip and the military member is on orders and unable to attend and SOG and Disney are playing the blame game with each other, I think the OP could find justification in asking forgiveness instead of permission. I appreciate the military tickets as well and I don't think anyone would want to jeopardize them going forward.

The spouse may also be used to activate/ use the tickets. Not minor children though. And we’ve always had to produce a CAC or DD1172 th first time we used them. At the gate.

its situations like this that reinforces the policy of gentle discouragement purchasing for outside the immediate family of the sponsor. It better to just get the regular discount tickets for extended family and friends

Respectfully, and I understand your position, but the chances of what the pp posted "working seamlessly" is about 99%. That scenario worked 100% of the time for you (I understand you had the mil member, but Disney didn't know that.) I've never heard of or seen any reports in which salute tix were purchased (already activated from SoG, not the vouchers you get from your base that still need activated) and Disney World ever asked to see a military id. I'll always leave a 1% chance, but the reality is what the pp proposed would work fine. Obviously not ideal, but the OP nor the country have been or are in an ideal situation.

I agree with you that from a practical standpoint, the OP could get away with this, 99% of the time. And I agree that this past year has been very difficult.

I am not perfect, but I still would not feel right trying to do this, after having signed the order form (pertinent parts underlined in red).

Each person has his or her own comfort level about things like this.

I agree with all of this. However, if there has been a pandemic that cancelled the originally planned trip and the military member is on orders and unable to attend and SOG and Disney are playing the blame game with each other, I think the OP could find justification in asking forgiveness instead of permission. I appreciate the military tickets as well and I don't think anyone would want to jeopardize them going forward.

Fair enough. The OP should do what he or she thinks is best.

The spouse may also be used to activate/ use the tickets. Not minor children though. And we’ve always had to produce a CAC or DD1172 th first time we used them. At the gate.

its situations like this that reinforces the policy of gentle discouragement purchasing for outside the immediate family of the sponsor. It better to just get the regular discount tickets for extended family and friends

You have had to produce that documentation with SoG tickets? We have used 24 of those specific tickets over the past 4 years, and have never been asked. When we used to use the tickets from our base ITT office, we did, but not with SoG tickets since they started sending activated ones.

I've never heard/sensed/read about this "gentle discouragement" you mention. We have used Disney military discounts since 2009. The policy is that they may be used by the service member's "family members and friends", period.

Are you talking about Disneyland or World? And when you say at the gate...I assume you mean guest services...agaim unless you're talking about Disneyland. We have always had to show our military id the first time using mil tix at Disneyland...at Disney World though; I have nevet heard of anyone being asked to show any document or id at the gate.

Thank you to everyone who has given suggestions.

My daughter and her husband are both military, so the spouse making it is a moot point. There is just no way they can make it in from Hawaii before they expire in September. My son-in-law’s unit isn’t allowing people off island.

I am currently on hold to speak with guest services. I really do hope we can work it out. I did also call my credit card company (Disney Visa) and speak with them about options. They said they have dealt with a lot of travel issues due to COVID and offered to start the process. I told them I wanted to try to work it out with SOG or WDW first, but glad to know that is a last ditch effort if nothing can be done. Such a mess!!!

Update: Disney sounded a bit more promising! I was not willing to wait the 150 minutes they were expecting to speak with the escalation team, but they told me what to say when I call back tomorrow.

Appreciate all of you for helping calm my nerves!

I had this issue with Salute tickets and hurricane Irma. Disney was operating under their hurricane policy and refunded everything, but wouldn’t do the Salute tickets as I bought them on base through the ticket office. Disney did tell me to go back to the ticket office and have them call Disney to work a refund. I went back to the ticket office who told me they couldn’t do a refund, but once I was finally able to convince them to call and talk to Disney. Once they did that the ticket office issued a refund for the Salute tickets. So, if you can get SoG to cooperate and reach out to Disney you should be able to get a refund. It shouldn’t be hard, but SoG sounds like they are needlessly making it hard.

And if they are the actual tickets, and not vouchers, there is no requirement the SM be on the trip. The contractual language is only that one of the tickets will be used by the service member or spouse, not that they must accompany the others using the tickets. Generally the requirement for the servicemember’s presence is so the tickets can be activated. But the tickets from SoG come activated, so the servicemember’s presence would not be required in this case.

Update - As with many things Disney, my experience may be different than some else’s. With that being said, things turned out well. Guest Services explained the price we paid wouldn’t go away, but will be ‘held’ for future use. When they said I could get a gift card in person at Guest Services when I was on property, I pushed and asked what would stop me from reassigning the tickets to one person and then they could claim the gift card. He put me on hold, came back, and said that Disney would be happy to cut me a check for that amount now. They said 4-6 weeks, but I received it one week to the day I called and the tickets disappeared several days later. Stunned it worked out this way and so grateful to them for realizing sometimes there are just wonky situations out there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter