Minimum Age Allowed?

afoeckler

Earning My Ears
Here's the situation - my wife and I bought into the Disney Vacation Club this past weekend. At the level we bought in we received, among other incentives, two free adult adventures to one of a limited number of locations (about a dozen different trips total including Yellowstone, Costa Rica, one of the Italy trips, and others). We have four young boys - currently ages 8, 6, 3 and 9 months. We are not sure when we have to use the free adventures by. We can "downgrade" and get a free 4 day/3 night cruise but the value of that versus the value of an Disney adventure pales in comparison. I know the website and info. pamphlets state they welcome children 4 years and above (and we recognize that there may be many things our two youngest couldn't do). We also recognize that we will have to pick an adventure that is less intensive than some adventures offered. We insist on traveling as a family (i.e., we will not leave the littlest ones home).

Is the have-to-be-older-than-4-years-old requirement a firm requirement? Bottom line, can you bring children under 4 years old? I will ultimately get an official answer from Disney but was wondering if anyone on this board has brought children under 4 on any of the trips? Thanks.

Al

Congratulation on joining the DVC membership!! We had young children (4) as well as many teenagers on our trip to China with the youngest child being 5 years old. I know that our guides treated all the children with great love and care every day during our trip. I think the decision to bring a younger child on a trip depends on how well a parent thinks their child can handle each travel day. I know that Disney takes great care to pace each day and bring interesting events for all ages each day.

We are currently thinking about adding to our present DVC ownership. If you don't mind me asking, what point level did you invest in to get the 2 adult adventure packages free from Disney? I talked with our representative over the weekend and they never mention any package offer like that. Thanks and good luck on your trips (decisions)!

I'm going to be the bad guy here: If I spent the money an ABD costs, and then had to ride a bus everyday with someone's 3 year old or 1 year old, I would be majorly unhappy. Doesn't matter how well behaved they are, kids that age are going to whine and cry sometimes. One of the main attractions to us of the ABD is that we are insulated from that age kids.

Use your two free ABDs to do a romantic trip for the grownups and take the kids to WDW to make it up to them.

I'd be interested to see what answer you get from Disney. The impression I was given was that they were pretty strict, but who knows. If you don't ask, you don't get. Personally, though, I can't *imagine* taking a 9-month old on one of these itineraries. Virtually all of them involve a great deal of walking, many of them under circumstances where a stroller would not be feasible (cobblestones, rocky, etc). I commend you for wanting to do everything as a family, but what good would it do for you to go on a trip where you and your kids would end up miserable?

In the end, the free cruise might end up being the better value, even if the ABD is "worth more". Plus, you'd have to pay for 4 children's fares for the ABD, which lessens the value of the 2 adult adventures (it's not like a cruise where it gets cheaper the more people you have in a room). The child's rate is not a significant discount off the adult rate. Plus you'd need 2 rooms, because practically all of the hotels only allow a max of 4 people per room.

Just some food for thought. The dollar value is not the only value to a trip.

Sayhello

We just returned from an abd which had a minimum age of 8. This was strictly inforced. The age limits are often not set by disney, but by the events which you participate in. For our adventure there was a lot of hiking on very uneven trails. There would have been no way to push a stroller or carry a child on a backpack. Other events like white water rafting, horseback riding, etc , are set by the companies which provide the service. Another thing which is not fully explained is that you do not have an "abd" bus with you 24/7. The bus driver magically appears when you need one, but this might be later that day, or the day after. If you could not participate in an event I don't know how you could get from point A to point B. ABD trips are VERY expensive, I would wait until everyone is old enough so that you can all enjoy!!!!

When I was booking trips on Friday, I was told that they were definitely going to enforce the minimum age this year. On most trips, there's a minimum age and a recommended age, and don't think I would have been allowed to book anyone under that minimum age.

Dotti

Sorry, I have to agree with Kristilew here. I also have four children but am taking my oldest alone to Italy and leaving the younger three home. It's the first time I have ever left them, but it will be a great time for him and me, and I really can't see bringing my one-year-old to a tour where I will be on the go much of the time. I really admire you for not leaving your kids and going alone - as I said, we have never done it either and even this way, my husband will be home - but I'm not sure ABD is the proper venue for babies. The cruise, however, is an excellent place to take them!!!

Adding my two cents - the cruise is a wonderful, wonderful time, where there are activities for every age group, and things the whole family can enjoy together. I'd definitely prefer that if my kids were still the ages of yours, and I believe you would all have a fantastic time. Go on over to the cruise part of the disboards and you'll get an idea of how much fun it is.

We just got back from the Viva Italia trip and I would definately not want to bring a child under the age of say five or six - I know my 4 yr old wouldn't have been able to handle the amount of travel and touring we did. I even noticed that the kids under the age of 8 were the ones most "bored" with the touring. I think ABD are the best thing ever for families - but not really for the young'uns - my 15 yr old and I had a blast - as did all the families....but it seemed in my observations that 6 would be the youngest kid I would bring along (and those children on the tours that were six all had older siblings along as well). I have done the cruise as well and think this would be much better suited to a young family if you are committed to doing a trip w/the whole family. Keep in mind there are still a lot of costs involved w/ABD out of the tour cost - travel - airfare - and some meals and all the soveniers you'll want to buy!

Bella O - we leave for Viva Italia on the 14th with my DD9 and DD10. How did your kids handle the jet lag? What did you do to entertain/sustain them for the first day before the group dinner (or maybe you went a day early and avoided that problem)? Did the kids get very bored on the long bus rides, or did they find things to do themselves or with other kids?

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter