MK Fireworks Dessert Parties - Confused!

Lisann

Thank you Walt
So, from what I can tell, there are two (2) Fireworks Dessert Parties in the Magic Kingdom. One called "Seats and Sweets" (more expensive, seating at Tomorrowland Terrace), and one called "Spectacular Sweet Spots" (less expensive, with stand-up viewing...I'm assuming it's on the lawn?). Is my understanding correct?

Has anyone done these? And if so, did you enjoy it? Does anyone recommend one over the other?

I just want to be able to be close and upfront to the castle fireworks without having to stake out a spot 2 days in advance.

Thanks in advance for any insight into this.

There are actually 3 options because they have an after fireworks dessert party option as well where you stand in the special viewing area during the fireworks and then go have desserts which in my opinion is the best option in that I would not want to stuff myself and then have to stand.

The standing viewing area is right outside of The Plaza Restaurant.

I personally would not book any of them if all you're interested in is a "prime viewing" spot. The viewing area is no more magical than standing anywhere else.
No need to camp out either.

We've done the after fireworks dessert party which is in the plaza garden viewing area. I have not done the seated show but I understand that many have said they chose it to have a dedicated seat and that the viewing location is not ideal and not as good as the garden. We knew that the party itself was not going to be worth what we paid and knew going into it, we paid for a preferred/reserved view. We liked that we didn't have to scope out a spot early and we weren't shoulder to shoulder with a crowd. But, all that to say, the views were very nice but it's still not perfect and definitely not as close as you can be as there will be the general crowds in front of the plaza garden. And you can and likely will end up with people blocking your view. Also, how crowded the plaza garden in will vary by crowd. When we did the party, it was not super crowded so we had ample room to move around. We sat towards the back of the garden. It's a nice thing to do and I'd certainly recommend it, but it's not a must do and definitely not something we have done often.

View of the fireworks from the plaza garden, like I said, not the best of views and it's def not head on, you're off to the right of the castle.
IMG_0268.jpgIMG_0270.jpg

We did the Sweets and Treats seated option. We only did it to be able to sit (I walk with a cane and crowds often knock me over inadvertently) during fireworks and be uncrowded. We didn’t care about seeing the projections, only the fireworks. Food was subpar and, at least for our one time, getting seated was very disorganized. Wouldn’t do it again.

We did the one where dessert is first then you’re led into the ‘corral’ to stand during the fireworks. It wasn’t ideal, as others have said, especially if you have trouble standing for long periods of time.

My main complaint: our view was blocked by many people holding up their iPads or cameras or… putting kids on their shoulders. Wasn’t worth it. YVMV.

We did the old Tomorrowland Terrace Dessert Party years ago which was basically a before and during dessert party with seating. You got in around 7:30 / 7:45 and stayed through the show at 9:00. You could even watch the parade as it went by beforehand. It was only about $30 a person including tax back then, and I thought it was overrated at that price. The desserts were just ok. They had a fruit and dessert buffet set-up. We probably ate more fruit than anything and didn't feel we ate enough dessert to justify the $30 price. I think we would have liked it better if it was a buffet dinner with real food or even appetizers. I can't imagine paying what they are charging now which seems much diminished from our experience. It was $300 total back then for our party of 10, and I about died. I'd never pay the $1,000 it would be today. I'd rather grab a snack at a cart and a spot on the sidewalk somewhere. There's great views everywhere for free.

What did end up making it a little worth it, though, was that it rained the night we had it scheduled which was I think our only chance to see the fireworks. Having the covered area to watch from was great. We probably would not have stayed to watch without the covered seating.

Edited to Add:
I think at least for us, you can only eat so much sugar before you start to feel sick, so although, a dessert buffet sounded great, the reality was that it was a little impractical. I guess if you have a big sweet tooth, it might be different.

Didn't there used to be a "fastpass-type" deal where you could get special seating (w/o the dessert party)? Or am I hallucinating?

I might be leaning towards nixing the dessert party, I don't know.

We did the seats and sweets version for the first time last year and I was so disappointed in the views.

I just think the projections are such a big part of the “feels” of the show and you couldn’t hardly see anything but fireworks.

Would not do that again unless you absolutely had to have a seat or be out of bigger crowds. I’d pick the garden version again without hesitation.

If projections don’t matter to you, maybe behind the castle to be away from crowds is the way to go. Maybe even find a bench or a wall to sit on.

The desserts or just okay, not really a big miss. There are cheese and crackers for some savory items, but no more spring rolls or dips.

Drinks are plentiful though if you like wine and beer or soft drinks.

Have fun!

If projections don’t matter to you, maybe behind the castle to be away from crowds is the way to go. Maybe even find a bench or a wall to sit on.
This.

My favorite place to watch from is behind the castle by the carousel. They go off all around you, and I find that so magical, but it's not a great "show" view. Definitely not a recommended spot for a first or only viewing.

Didn't there used to be a "fastpass-type" deal where you could get special seating (w/o the dessert party)? Or am I hallucinating?

I might be leaning towards nixing the dessert party, I don't know.
You are not hallucinating, you are correct! The area where they put you now in front of the Plaza Restaurant used to be for free with FP. We did it once and it was worth it then, for free, not sure I would pay $100 pp now for it. We have done the Seats and Sweets version back when it was $25 pp and although the viewing is at an angle Tinkerbell did fly right over us!

We did the old Tomorrowland Terrace Dessert Party years ago which was basically a before and during dessert party with seating. You got in around 7:30 / 7:45 and stayed through the show at 9:00. You could even watch the parade as it went by beforehand. It was only about $30 a person including tax back then, and I thought it was overrated at that price.

Edited to Add:
I think at least for us, you can only eat so much sugar before you start to feel sick, so although, a dessert buffet sounded great, the reality was that it was a little impractical. I guess if you have a big sweet tooth, it might be different.
WOW, $30? I think I paid about $69 for our last after fireworks party a few years back, but I think they're like $100/pp now. I thought it was way overpriced then so for $100, you got a bargain at $30. However, they have added some savory options and alcohol to the offerings so I guess they gotta adjust the prices.

You are not hallucinating, you are correct! The area where they put you now in front of the Plaza Restaurant used to be for free with FP. We did it once and it was worth it then, for free, not sure I would pay $100 pp now for it. We have done the Seats and Sweets version back when it was $25 pp and although the viewing is at an angle Tinkerbell did fly right over us!
I thought so! I think we need to bring back FastPass+...NOW!!! :)

WOW, $30? I think I paid about $69 for our last after fireworks party a few years back, but I think they're like $100/pp now. I thought it was way overpriced then so for $100, you got a bargain at $30. However, they have added some savory options and alcohol to the offerings so I guess they gotta adjust the prices.
I think that must be it, the alcohol. I don’t think the original dessert party included alcohol. I don’t drink, so I never paid attention, but I found an old blog on Allears, and it doesn’t mention any. That would explain why the cost has increased 5 times what it was which seems ridiculous even factoring in inflation, but adding alcohol would make that make since.

I think that must be it, the alcohol. I don’t think the original dessert party included alcohol. I don’t drink, so I never paid attention, but I found an old blog on Allears, and it doesn’t mention any. That would explain why the cost has increased 5 times what it was which seems ridiculous even factoring in inflation, but adding alcohol would make that make since.
You might be right. Plus, there was never alcohol in the MK until recently anyway.

The dessert parties DO include beer & wine. All you care to drink.

We have done the before party a few times. You go into the dessert buffet before then go to the roped off area to watch the fireworks.

We pretty much do it just for the dedicated viewing area, I don't like dealing with the crowds while waiting for the show.

Though I like Disney restaurant desserts, I'm not all that crazy about their mass produced buffet type desserts. I see people getting plate after plate after plate of the overly sweet and sugary desserts and I don't know how they do it.

Last time, I had a few bites of cheese, a couple strawberries, maybe a bite of one of the dessert items and one of their pre-poured semi warm beers.

To us the desserts aren't worth the price, but, the non crowded viewing area is,

Firew.JPG

We will be enjoying the seated version next week. We have done the dessert party twice before - once when it was $25 per person and again at $50 per person. I was not too happy to pay over $100 per person for this current version. I justify it for a variety of personal reasons including me and my Disney travel buddy are both nearing our senior years and not in the best of health. Not sure if this will be our last trip together or at least the last time expending this type of money for an event like this. But we plan to have a nice dinner before hand and just soak it all in knowing we could not possibly eat enough sweets or alcohol to break even but it will be worth it to be seated and out of the crowds (we both have PTSD).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter