• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

More connections ?s

eeyorefanatic

Devoted 2 Eeyore
I have searched this site for info and now that mousesavers has taken down their info i am having trouble getting info:(

i am already geting the $10.50 vouchers for lunch/dinner, and saw $29.50 vouchers. Are these for sit down restaurants? If so can someone tell me which ones?

is there anything available for charachter meals?

The connections site itself isn't very helpful. From what I recall most of the restaurants in the parks and hotels (don't hold to that) participate in the $29.50 tickets, BUT it is for LUNCH!! Not dinners. Mary had figured which restaurants it was a good bargain for, but I didn't pay much attention since I had no intentions of getting those anyway. Have you tried doing a search here by typing in 'Connections'? I remember some saying you can split the meals with the vouchers so it isn't sooo expensive. There are also char buffet tickets you can buy thru Connections, but they are only for breakfast buffets--$17.50 comes to mind (maybe??)

Good luck! We're going next June and I have every intention of joining Connections around Nov to pick up some of these deals.

Carla

Just back from 7nts/8days: me (mom), adult dd, and 8yo dd ... wanted to give a quick observation on our experience using the Connections meal vouchers.

I purchased four Quick and Casual Lunch/Dinner vouchers @ 10.50 each and four sit-down lunch vouchers @ 29.50. I came home with one leftover $29.50 voucher.

Here's how we used them:

One $29.50 lunch voucher at Chefs de France. We got a 3:30 p.m. PS, so this was planned as an early dinner.

Food quality was very disappointing. (That's another post. Three years ago, my daughters and I had a great lunch here.) We didn't use two vouchers when presented with the bill because even ordering the most expensive items on the menu, we had difficulty making up the full value of the voucher. I think it was valued at $29.10 (plus 15% gratuity, which was essentially my savings).

We each ordered three-course meals (the appetizer and dessert would have been sufficient) and two glasses of wine. My 2.75 espresso coffee was not included as the non-alcoholic beverage because, as the waiter put it, "it is too expensive." Perhaps regular coffee would have been included. I think it was more than $2.

There was nothing on the menu that appealed to my 8yo. We asked for a plain grilled cheese sandwich, but it came with ham and tomato (the regular Croque Monsieur). Needless to say, she refused to eat more than a few bites.

Using just one voucher, the meal ended up costing an additional $71 (4 glasses of wine and the $10 child's meal, plus one lunch) to which I added a 15% tip.

Net result: major tummy aches from ingesting mass quantities on a hot day, not to mention the assault on our food budget.

The next day, we used two $29.50 lunch vouchers at Whispering Canyon Cafe.

My adult dd and I each ordered an appetizer, the $13.99 family style barbecue skillet, chocolate shakes with refills, and cherry cobbler with ice cream for dessert. The food was better IMO than at Chefs de France (and I've lived in France, so I know how good mediocre French restaurants can be). My 8yo did get her plain grilled cheese sandwich, but didn't eat it after sharing her sister's Buffalo Chicken Strips appetizer. The second appetizer went mostly uneaten.

This meal was enjoyable enough, and the additional out-of-pocket expense was only about $10 for the child's meal, smoothie, and tip.

Unfortunately, the tummy aches from overeating were even worse this time. How could we resist the unbidden refills on those chocolate shakes?

We did manage to use all four of the Quick and Casual Lunch and Dinner vouchers:
one at Tusker House, two at the The Land Sunshine Grill food court in Epcot, and the fourth on a Greek salad, dessert, and soft drink at Pizza Planet.

Of course, when I ordered the vouchers, I had studied all the menus I could find online and narrowed down the best places to use them. I kept thinking about our previous wonderful meal at Chefs de France and about the sundaes at Beaches 'n' Cream. This trip did not take us anywhere near the Boardwalk area, and I couldn't see making a special trip just to stuff our faces with ice cream. :D

There was no problem sharing meals, especially not at the counter service places, but even so, I think we would have done better ordering individual sandwiches and sharing an occasional dessert. If I hadn't invested in the $29.50 lunch vouchers, we would have done the less expensive character buffets.

Overall, we concluded that the vouchers limited our food choices, encouraged overeating, and caused us to spend way too much time calculating whether we were getting our money's worth. I haven't totalled all my receipts yet, but my overall impression is that we spent MORE money on food because we had the vouchers. I probably saved 10% to 15% on the regular prices of the food items purchased with the vouchers, but again, I don't think we would have ordered so much food.

I'll try to post a more positive trip report later. I hope this information helps!

Lanora
Just back from 3 nights at AS Music and 4 nights at WL... and glad we split the trip between two resorts!

Thanks for the insight, gadget lady ! After a few weeks of reading all the advice on these boards...my head is swimming. I was already really questioning whether the meal voucher concept was right for my family - I think you've helped me make a decision.:wave:

i only ordered 6 of the 10.50 vouchers, and i went to wdwig.com to check menues
first. I was planning to eat at some of the places on the vouchers anyway, so i purchased
the 10.50's, the 29.50 & 17.50 ones did not look worth it to me

hulabird

2 days til WDW/CBR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

carib01a.gif

wow! My dh and I just had this conversation last night! I told him I joined connections and wanted his opinion on which vouchers/restaurants?

Well, he basically said: I don't think we should order ANY vouchers. We will NEVER eat all that food and we'll feel obligated to use the vouchers because we'll already have them. (We know they are returnable)

So glad I read gadget ladys post!! It validated everything dh said. :rolleyes: but dh is right. :rolleyes: (it's killing me to write that lol)

The vouchers may be a great deal for some but we are gonna pass on this one. I think I may get U/IOA tix thru them.

curly

36 more days

I do have a few questions. 1. How late can you make your "lunch" reservations to be able to use the vouchers. 2. If you only use one voucher at a time. How do they split up the costs. Example: If a steak for 15.95 was ordered and a sandwich for 9.95 was ordered would they use the steak as the voucher meal? Hope that makes sense. 3. Can you use a voucher for a late lunch at Brown Derby and have this count to be able to get into the Fantasmic show early. If nobody knows the answers now, maybe Hulabird will be nice enough to check them out. Thanks, Nancy

Hi Gadget-Lady,

Could you tell me how it was using the voucher at the Land Food Court... Because there are different vendors that offer the food & then offer the dessert... Did you have to skip dessert?

Thanks for any info... I tend to agree with you about the 29.50 vouchers.... We did get two, and we are planning to either eat at The Concourse SteakHouse, LeCelier or the Restaurant over in Italy... I'm not sure which will win out LOL....

Thanks for any info on the food court!!!

Well, I am leaving for WDW this Sunday, and will be back by sept 5th, and I am
a reporter (my profession) so I will have a decent review of all places I used the food
vouchers, I will post it as soon as I get back. The 10.50 food coupons seem to be ok
depending on where they are used, for example, the cbr food court (Old port royale)
has a place where I can get ribs, they are like 10.00 alone, then I can pick a side and
a drink to go with it and also end the meal with a dessert, all for the cost of 10.50
which i paid for the voucher. I would be happy to answer any questions you have,
OR if u search under Hulabird, I would think you'd find my recent posts that list all
the resteraunts that u can use them at, the posts were just about 3 weeks ago...some
of the resteraunts are: Beaches and Cream, Pecos Bill Cafe, Sunshine Season Food Fair,
Liberty Inn, Electric Umbrella, Cosmic Rays, The Pepper Market, SandBar Grill, Sassagoula Floatworks & Food Factory, Plaza Pavilion, El Pirata y el Perico, Yakitori House,
Tusker House & Sommerfest to name a few...Bottom line is that you are entitled to:
(1) combo meal (entree, side dish and non alcoholic beverage) and one dessert OR
one entree, one side dish (if NOT included in entree) one non alcoholic beverage, and one
dessert. Tax and gratuity are included in the food coupon. I am using mine at the following:
Beaches and Cream, Old Port Royal and the Pepper Market. This was decided according
to our meal preferences and checking prices on food menus found at http://www.wdwig.com
I would suggest checking all the menus (time consuming, but part of the fun of planning)
and see where u would be likely to eat, then u can see if it would be worth it for you and
how many u would need. I see no justification for the 29.50's unless u would split a meal...
My hubby and I would not spend 60.00 for lunch under any circumstances, not even if we won the power ball drawing (well maybe only that once :)

Hulabird

I PROMISE you guys will get all the details when I come back including pictures!

carib01a.gif

Hi Hulabird,

We will be there during the same timeframe, going next Friday, coming back late the following Tuesday... We are staying at CSR, so the bulk of our 10.50 vouchers are going to the Pepper Market!! We aren't going into EPCOT this trip, since its a quick trip... but our long vacation is in December, and that's when I'd like to use the vouchers at the Land Food Court.... is this one of the food courts you'll be going to?

The 10.50 coupon is going to be a real bargain at the Pepper Market, they have sirloins that are greater than the cost of the coupons... One of the reasons I was leary about staying at CSR is their more expensive food court, then I found the 10.50 coupons... what a bargain!!!

Have a good time HulaBird!!!! I'll be reporting back on the fifth as well!!

Mickeyswife:

1. I'm pretty sure the latest PS time for lunch is 3:30. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

At Les Chefs de France, we had PS ressies for 3:30. We were seated immediately, and I saw only two or three parties seated about the same time. The crowd began to clear out as we were eating dessert, and people started coming in again for dinner between 5 and 5:30.

2. When we used just one lunch voucher at Les Chefs de France, the waiter applied it to the more expensive meal.

I hope someone else can help you out with the Brown Derby/Fantasmic question.

chris1gill:

We didn't skip dessert at The Land, but we didn't try to order it separately at the station specializing in the ice cream sundaes and other goodies.

At the station where I chose a BBQ ribs and chicken combo, I got a warm apple cobbler, which was pretty tasty. My adult daughter ordered linguine from the Pasta and Potato stand; she got an iced brownie for dessert. They didn't technically offer any side dishes, but she talked them into giving her a side salad with her pasta.

This is just another example of how our food selections were influenced by the vouchers. We more or less chose the food stands according to which ones offered the best dessert values. I also got pretty tired of BBQ ribs and chicken, as those selections usually won out as the best values using the vouchers.

Wish we'd checked out the Pepper Market at CSR with our vouchers when we were staying nearby at All Star Music.

Can't wait to hear about your lunch; the three restaurants you named were on my short list as well.

Cheers,
Lanora
:jester:

The Pepper Market will be one of our stops, as will Beaches and Cream, The Sunshine
Season Food Fair also looks to be a good choice in Epcot. The OPR food court looked
pretty good too, and I am sure we will eat there since thats where we are staying. (CBR)
Flame Tree BBQ and Tusker House in AK also looked like they could have menues that
would work with the voucher. I'll try and get menus wherever I go so I can post them for everyone. Have fun on your trip Chris1Gill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hulabird

carib01a.gif

Thanks HulaBird! I would not use a voucher at Flame Tree or Tusker house though... The prices are so reasonable, it wouldn't really save you anything to use the voucher! Save the voucher for Beaches & Cream :D
Have a GREAT trip yourself, you leave tomorrow!!! :pinkbounc

Thanks, I can't wait! My DH has been acting like its no big deal to go on this trip,
he hardly shows emotion, but the last two days he has been acting weird, he is
all packed, made a list of things he needs at the store to bring with and has been
watching our trip planning videos, i sense the excitement though he is really
trying not to show it. He has not been to WDW...ever...only i have...so i know inside
he can't wait.

hulabird

HulaBird, are you kidding??? Your DH doesn't know what he's been missing!! Wow!! My DH acts the same as your DH, trying to hide any & all excitement!! Yet I know he likes it as much as I do!! I don't know why he's like that!! Well, have fun on your trip!!!

We used two $29.50, last year, for our anniversary meal at Le Cellier. The total of the meal w/out the vouchers would have been about $110.00. All we paid was $4.00 for my Granny Smith Apple Cider, which was alcholoic.

We also brought 10 of the $10.50 coupons with us. They saved us a lot, because we were able to buy the largest size drink they had then save it in our cups for later. We also saved the dessert for a snack later. We also got to have more expensive counter service meals, instead of sticking to burgers all the time. And, we didn't have to bother with eating in many full-service restaurants, where you also have to tip.

Do the coupons that Connections is currently sending expire at the end of the year? I want to jion again and start getting the vouchers for our trip one year from now.

:bounce: :bounce:

Hulabird. my DH acted the same way your DH is acting, last year, before we went on our trip. He had a good time and sometime around last winter informed me that he needed a "Disney Fix". Now he is just as crazed about the place as I am and can't wait for our trip next year. He has been telling everyone at work to visit WDW and wears a Disney pin with his name on it to work, on this uniform every day! How's that for a convert?!?! I hope the same happens to your DH.

:smooth: :smooth: :smooth: :smooth:

Originally posted by Daisimae
We also brought 10 of the $10.50 coupons with us. They saved us a lot, because we were able to buy the largest size drink they had then save it in our cups for later

All the counter service places we tried last week would only give us medium-size soft drinks on the vouchers.

How long ago did you use your vouchers?

Today is the last day of my 30-day trial....
gadget-lady

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter