Most useful ECV accessories?

gypsy_at_heart

DIS Veteran
So, for my trip at the end of September, I'm bringing my parents and it will be their first time using ECVs in the park. I've rented from ScooterBug (because I didn't want to deal with having to meet someone etc and they can just leave it at the hotel for when we arrive) and noticed there were lots of add on accessories. So, I was wondering, for those of you who use an ECV regularly in the park, what are the most useful accessories or add ons in your opinion?

Thank you!

Definitely get a side pouch for little things that would be a pain to hunt for in the front basket. I use this one for my chair (and it matches pretty well.)

I would say the ones that Gold Mobility includes are the most beneficial:
Captains Chair (Victory model only)
Cup Holder
Fan (absolutely essential in the Florida heat)
Cell Phone Holder

If you go with them, they meet on your schedule, if you stick with Scooterbug, definitely double check that you get everything you pay for.

Cup holders, baskets for storage, hooks for hanging shopping bags and popcorn bucket. We rented from Gold Mobility for my mom last month, and we all used that scooter for storing and carrying things.

The cup holder was thing I missed most on the scooterbug rental. Their basket seems smaller than the Gold mobility one so I missed the extra room. I agree not to rent the rear basket as it was hard to maneuver on the busses and - as mentioned - perhaps would need to be removed.

Also - I had bad experiences this past July and again in October renting from Scooterbug. I had short trips (my son is currently a CM) and Gold mobility didn't offer short term rentals at the time. The July ECV was actually dangerous - it would roll forwards or backwards uncontrollably and there are no brakes on these ECVs. It would randomly decide it was in "freewheel mode" and just start rolling. Other times it wouldn't go at all. I almost took a lady out at MMRR the first time it happened. Took me a lot of time just to get the stupid thing back to the hotel and they couldn't replace it until the next day. No offer to come to the park and give me another.

In October I lost the key on the Dinosaur ride in the morning - yes my fault BUT - literally spent the entire day trying to get ahold of someone who could tell me if they could come out with a key - or not - or what to do. No one would ever call me back despite promises every time I called. We ended up abandoning the ECV in the AK and having to rent a park ECV at Epcot because our dinner was at Epcot. We borrowed a manual WC so I could get back to the room. I decided to check bell services the next morning just for the heck of it -STILL NO PHONE CALL - and they had left me another ECV.

I cannot recommend you rent from them. Both ECVs I got were junky/squeaky/loose seat and arms rests - looked old as beat up with rips on the seat, AND if you have a problem you will spend the entire day trying to get help while spending $$ on something else - or just sit around and lose a day of your trip. They are the absolute worst. Disney trips are too expensive to spend a day or two dealing with that awful company.

I recommend Gold because they will meet you more on your schedule - but there are other companies people have good experiences with as well.

Cup holder for sure, although some of the bumpy pavement at Disney had my coffee spilling all over. A rain cover would be nice during the summer, although it's a little bulky. The shower cap is nice for the front but not having to sit on a wet seat is better.

Regarding the rear basket, I just want to say that from my experience, if you rent the smaller Go-Go Sport, you're probably going to be OK. But NOT with the Victory, as the PP said. I had a trip where I rented the GoGo, then the Pride Mobility in the same trip (trouble with the GoGO so they upgraded me). I'd had the rear basket on my GoGo, and never understood what everyone was complaining about with it making things too long. But boy, did I learn in a hurry when I tried to put it on the Victory. Got stuck in the bus the first day (wedged in), and on the second trip, took it off. Then off it stayed. I missed having it, but it certainly wasn't worth it with the Victory.

We like to add the cane holder accessory to the back of the scooter for my Mom when we rent from Gold. Keeps it out of her way and makes it so I don't have to carry it for her all day, but is easy to grab when we get to a ride. We actually had both her cane and my Dad's in it last year a few times.

We cover with a poncho when the rain looks threatening. I bought a bunch of chip clips that I use to hold the poncho down. Helps keep it well covered. Although I am tempted to look at the overall cover someone else mentioned.

Finally, we have a towel that we keep on the seat at all times. The majority of the companies have black (fake?) leather seats which can become super hot in the heat and sun. We also always put the back down and arm rests up when parking outside to keep direct sun off where she will sit or put her arms. The towel also help with that too.

We like to add the cane holder accessory to the back of the scooter for my Mom when we rent from Gold. Keeps it out of her way and makes it so I don't have to carry it for her all day, but is easy to grab when we get to a ride. We actually had both her cane and my Dad's in it last year a few times.

We cover with a poncho when the rain looks threatening. I bought a bunch of chip clips that I use to hold the poncho down. Helps keep it well covered. Although I am tempted to look at the overall cover someone else mentioned.

Finally, we have a towel that we keep on the seat at all times. The majority of the companies have black (fake?) leather seats which can become super hot in the heat and sun. We also always put the back down and arm rests up when parking outside to keep direct sun off where she will sit or put her arms. The towel also help with that too.

Funnily enough, when I rented from Gold last year, I initially had the cane holder for myself, and hated it. When I had to get another ECV I didn't keep the holder. One big thing was children playing with my cane while I was in lines (I hate it when people touch my cane without asking). Otherwise I agree with your comments 100%, We used the ponchos Gold gave us as rain covers and finding ways to protect the seat from the sun are highly recommended.

We like to add the cane holder accessory to the back of the scooter for my Mom when we rent from Gold
Does anyone know if the new busses let you attach anything to the back of the ECV?

I've never liked anything on the back of the ECV because I can't see it and it makes it harder to judge if I'm going to bump something when I'm in reverse. With a basket on the back I felt like I was driving a school bus lol

Does anyone know if the new busses let you attach anything to the back of the ECV?

I've never liked anything on the back of the ECV because I can't see it and it makes it harder to judge if I'm going to bump something when I'm in reverse. With a basket on the back I felt like I was driving a school bus lol
Nothing beyond a jacket or something flat. You have to back into the slot all the way to the back of the spot.

Nothing beyond a jacket or something flat. You have to back into the slot all the way to the back of the spot.

Do we know how many of these buses are out there yet? I was there 3/1-3/8 and had the old style buses for all my rides on it. But I also was at BWV so I only needed the buses to AK and MK. I was kind of hoping to see one and see the process to be better prepared for September when I will have my Mom with me.

A GOOD cane holder. I had a bad one once, and it was such a pain in the neck having to keep picking up my fallen cane that I took to just carrying it between my knees all day.

Also, something distinctive to make it easy to find when you get off the ride/get back to the parking area and want to find it quickly amongst all the others. I get a Jolly Roger flag and stuck the pole down the back pouch so it fluttered behind me as I rolled.

I use Lofstrand (forearm) crutches, and sometimes carry a grabber as well when I use a mobility scooter (I tend to drop things - it's not part of my disability, I'm just clumsy). Honestly the biggest help for me was a very short bungee cord. I could easily secure my crutches between my knees to the basket, along with my grabber. And the short cord kept the crutches from falling down. I would probably do the same with a cane.

I also second the use of something so you can find your scooter. My favorite was some inexpensive battery operated fairy lights around the basket, which were particularly helpful at night. I could always find my scooter after a ride or a meal, and if I was separated from my party, they could always find me!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter