My 4th running life !! (Comments Welcome)

So had not run for the last 14 days so the logical thing to do would be to head out for a 15 mile run right ? Of course it would so that's what I did ...... the results were somewhat predictable , I didn't finish the full 15 , calling it a day at 14.4 and quite a lot of discomfort compared to the 13 miles 2 weeks previously. I can only count myself lucky i did not end up hurt.

I managed to sort out some chafing issues from last time so that is solved and rather than the 500ml of water that sustained me for the 13 miler 2 weeks ago I had a gel , energy drink and a cliff bar type thing , so clearly I am capable of learning from mistakes and putting remedial action in place, but just can't learn all of the lessons at the same time 🤣

I can suffer from periods of procrastination followed by a burst of gung go irrational activity, been the same since I started running 17 years ago although I am improving but not fully solved the problem as the ago etestifys to.

So just get your runs in is my key take away, annoyingly it was not as if a was mega busy just routine work, child minding and some bad weather I could have got them done.

One thing learned today is whilst I am currently run walking 2m 30 sec run - 30 sec walk , I do this for all my runs it is not right for runs as long as this at the moment so will change to 2 min Run 1 min Walk. Hoping as I lose weight I can run more particularly shorter distances

Some success in regards to weight loss with 10 lbs lost in last 2 weeks 😁

Hope everyone is doing ok

Stay safe folks

Col

Hello

It's been a little while since I last posted on here about 4 months but have been running and checking in to keep up with what everyone on here is up to.

We decided to sell our house and move to be nearer the grandkids as we look after them 2 days a week and the travel was becoming an issue.

So we have been out of our old house for 8 weeks which is good but not yet in our new one which is not so good.

We are staying at relatives on an inflatable bed which is far from ideal but it is what it is, between that, child minding, work and my University deadlines my motivation to post was low although I was getting my runs in.

I had signed up for a full marathon in September and a half in October and with the return of Park run (a weekly free timed 5k) at the end of July i was fairly motivated from a running point of view, i had averaged about 10 to 15 miles a week as build up to my 16 week marathon plan.

However on the 1st of June I reinjured my Hip which first occurred in March 2020 I had no inkling it was coming and I have hardly managed to run since it is painful all the time, however the couple of times I have run it is not too bad during it but I pay for it after. I think on the day i did it i had walked about 9 miles then did 4 miles hard effort and the combination did the damage, I was okay during the run but the pain began to build after the run to quite a significant level.

I have not yet returned to the doctor as that is in my previous town and appointments are very difficult to obtain due to the backlog of appointments due to Covid.

I had initially dropped the full down to the half but may have to rethink that depending how things go, it is getting me down somewhat not so much due to the races but given other things I have got going on I was enjoying my runs as a bit of thinking and processing time.

I have some excercises I got the last time and have been taking ibuprofen when it gets too sore and it seems to be improving slowly.

One thing I can influence is my diet and I am focusing on eating well and losing weight to reduce stress on the area.

During the period of my running build up the walking I was doing had reduced quite a bit and i think i may have just overdid the combination.

Going forward if I can get back to running 3 times per week i will be careful to moderate tbe walking so as not to overload as i would rather have running in my life and reduce my walking.

I am not too despondent just one of those things. I did want to get back to posting here as I have found it to be a positive thing for me.

Hope everyone is doing ok.

Stay safe folks

Col

Hey all

Hope all are well and running is going well.

I have managed to run on average 2 short and one longer run for the last couple of months in the run up to the Rock and Roll half marathon on October the 23rd. I am still nursing my injury so have not pushed it too much I will be happy to just shuffle round in whatever time it takes.

Weight management has been an issue and I reached the highest weight I have ever been on the 23 of September @ 93kg. I am glad to say I have reduced that to 86.7kg since then and am sticking to a healthier programme. Would like to drop another 3 before the 23rd.

I have joined a gym locally a 5 minute run from my house to give me access to a treadmill during the winter months, there is no contracts so will cancel in the spring.

I have been reading some literature on habit forming (Atomic Habits) vs motivation and also the One thing,

I do consider that I do much better with a fixed routine but that is difficult with my work schedule but I am considering try to establish a habit of daily exercise and I’m the process of trying to figure out what that may look like.

I certainly already know the one thing I need to focus on right now and that is my weight, dealing with this will have multiple benefits for my general health, self esteem and my running so is my focus right now.

I am still checking everyone’s progress although I have not been very active lately , I have joined the dis boards Strava group and will try to resume weekly postings here as they were a positive influence.

take care and stay safe folks

col

So I completed the Liverpool Rock and Roll half today. Despite dealing with 3 separate issues that have restricted my training and resulting in a long run of only 8 miles on the lead up I was keen to try my best to do it for a couple of reasons.

Firstly having always wanting to do a Rock n Roll series race it turns out after 8 years this is their last one in Liverpool and in the U.K. and if I’m honest if I am travelling to the US I would always prioritise Disney races.

Also having not done an in person race since 2017 I was keen to get back into it.

So with less than ideal training and a few potential issues that could crop up I needed a plan. I reckoned that as I was run walking in training and that was resulting in about 12.20 ish miles I would start behind the 2.30 pacers and as I fell of the pace would hopefully stay ahead of the 2.45 pacers.

Had bagel peanut butter and Banana for breakfast then headed to the start, spent about 30 minutes after the start waiting on our wave to start, I decided I would run the first 3 miles then switch to run walking.

The first few miles were quite hilly and I wasn’t really feeling it I was losing the pacers on the hills but resisted the temptation to try and chase after them and slowly on the flat sections I was staying in sight of them.

I am not sure at what point I decided my strategy was now going to be to hold on to the pacers for dear life and see if I could get 2.30. There was no logical reason for this and some grumbling a from my ITB at one point gave me concern but maybe it was the ideal conditions overcast in the mid 50s or divine intervention but I decided to go for it.

I made it to Mile 10 feeling good and had ran without walking when I fell flat on my face cutting my right knee quite a bit, I was up and back running again quite quickly but the ego sure took a hit.

In Mile 12 tripped again, I think the fatigue meant I was not lifting my feet high enough, this led to a comedy trip then continue running whilst staggering forward and waving my arms like a helicopter, after the initial gasps from those running around me who thought I was going to fall again, these were replaced my shouts of hey good recovery which cheered me up.

The last mile was just horrendous even though I kI could defy all logic and get a 2.30 I had no right to expect I just wanted to give in and walk !!!

I made it in 2.27 and I am very pleased, average pace was 10.55 with all the twists and turns my GPS measure 13.53.

I have to say without those 2 guys who were pacing us I would never have made it so half the credit goes to them, they were amazing.

I will spare you all the photos of my messed up knee. But despite my usual ill conceived gung ho approach I could not be happier this evening.

Hope everyone’s running is going well, stay safe friends

Col

I've also always wanted to do a Rock N Roll Race. I'm registered for NOLA in February, but we will see if it actually happens. How was the music on the course?

I've also always wanted to do a Rock N Roll Race. I'm registered for NOLA in February, but we will see if it actually happens. How was the music on the course?
The music on the course was really good lots of different acts, I really wish I could have stopped and listened to some of them longer 😂 hope the NOLA one goes ahead and you get to do it 👍

So over the course of the last few days I have been reflecting quite a bit about my running since I began in 2004. Some of this reflection is tied into larger life reflection and charting my course over the years to come.

I certainly my feel a reconnection with my running and motivation I have not had in some time and that is exciting 😁 I have run more miles so far this year that either of the previous 2 and still have 2 months to go.

I do have goals that I have yet to achieve and a desire to return not only to Disney races but more Disney visits in general, all in all it is return to those things we always enjoyed and drifted away from over the years.

I had thought that my last half was a Disneyland California but I did complete one in the UK in 2019.

When I checked back I noted that the Rock and Roll at the weekend measured 13.53 on my watch at 10.54 pace giving me a time of 2.27.25 the 2019 half measured 13.12. The 2019 course was a straight out and back so I understand why I ran further with all the twists and turns but it is encouraging and also I am 7kg heavier than in 2019.

So my thinking is I will try to continue the weight loss (I have lost 7kg in the last month) and try and get in a solid 2 months of training. I am only averaging 10 miles a week so would like to get up to 25 by the end of the 8 weeks comprising 3 or 4 short runs and 1 long run.

At the end of December or early January I will do a self measured half and see how close I can get to 2.15. My longer term goal is SUB 2 however this I think is achievable and close enough to keep me motivated.

I won't make the Marathon Weekend but we plan to go to Orlando in November and hopefully participate in Wine and Dine half if it is being held, i also have a half in April which was a defferal from this year. So at the April 2019 half will be my attempt to go SUB 2, although it is subject to me getting time off work.If the Disneyland Paris Half is held in 2022 I will be doing that also.

In the UK we have parkrun which has taken off in other countries now as well , so it is basically a free timed 5k available weekly so I plan to use this as my speed session weekly with a long run and 2 or 3 steady runs each week.

I will have to consider what training plan I will use for the April half, I am considering basing my long runs on Heart rate training but still unsure. The gym membership will hopefully remove the poor weather excuse over the next few months.

There is a local running club here that I am considering joining but not sure if I am ready for that, but overall I am feeling a motivation and excitement for running I have not felt in years......... let's go !!

Anyway ramble over

Stay safe folks

Col

Hi all, been absent for a while, not much to report running wise, I have been working on some other health aspects the will hopefully support my future running, trying to build a base and then see where COVID takes us in terms of what may be available in 2022.

I really just popped on to wish everyone who is attending g Marathon weekend the very best of luck 🤞. I hope everyone enjoys the return to Marathon weekend and smashes their goals.

Wish I was there with you all….. have fun 👍

Col

So nearly a year since I have been on here and a fair bit has changed …… health wise I still have the hip issues but more recently have been dealing with cartilage damage to my right knee and Achilles tendinitis to my left ankle which I have been undergoing physio for has been challenging and kept me out of action for a number of months.

A significant promotion in March at the same time our industry and business has had its most challenging time in years meant that even prior to that running was sparse.

However working with a new team where my second in command had lost significant weight and returned to running motivated me and whilst laid up with injuries I got serious about weight loss for the first time in a long time and lost 2 and a half stone.

I may have put on a few pounds over last 2 weeks as I have been on vacation including Disneyland CA I am ready to get back into it.

I managed to return to running and have done 6 runs over the last 2 weeks whilst on vacation just 5ks and taking it real easy as still undergoing physio.

I have registered for the WDW Springtime Surprise 10 miler which will be my first Disney Race since 2005 and first trip to WDW since 2015 so very excited 😊

Plan is to continue to drop more weight whilst rehabbing the injuries steadily, if it goes well I may try to do a 10k race in 6 weeks time for proof of time to try to get a better corral place but I won’t push it.

I plan to run 4 times a week 3 x 5k and a long run of up to 10k until January then if all goes well take it from there.

On rest days I have physio exercises and a Kettlebell upper body workout I have been doing when I could not run.

Hope everyone is doing well and staying safe

C

So time for an update, I have been sparse in my posting….. so will just post edited highlights 😂

My Achilles and knee issues which stopped any form of running for months is now resolved. My hip issues and ITB issues remain but are manageable.

I was able to slowly build back to running the end of last year. For the first 3 months of the year I have been averaging 12.5 miles a week.

I have lost a further 8 lbs and after maintaining that for awhile am having another push to try and get below 165 (5lbs) which would bring my BMI into the normal range.

I have ran a couple of 5ks and got my 5k time down to 26.32 which I was pleased about. It’s a long time since I was able to do that.

Last weekend I ran a half Marathon….. 2.08 chip time

1679136085261.png

Whilst I have been more sensible than in the past many of my gung ho behaviours remain.

In the run up I had been fairly good at doing my long runs but on the other 6 days I was only putting in a couple of 5ks, and normally in a pattern of 3 day’s running 4 days off…… rinse and repeat.

I felt confident in getting round and being ahead of previous Half marathon time 18 months earlier of 2.27.

One of the factors would be the course itself.

1679137006800.png

As you can see some significant elevation. I felt a realistic goal would be around 2.15, if running well 2.10 to 2.15.

However I convinced myself that 2.05 was the goal perhaps even 1.59.59 …….. 😔 I literally never learn……

Set the pace pro plan up on my Garmin for 1.59 (I moved away from Fitbit and got a 245 music in November this would prove a factor later on) have 1.59.59 sorted on my marathon playlist and we were all set.

Race morning up and ready to go….. had a light breakfast and jogged a warm up of about a mile to the start. Had taken my gel, and had a further gel, some tablets for hip pain and some Gatorade in a fuel belt, again this would soon prove to be a factor.

Met an old friend at the start as it was back in my hometown some 3hrs from where I live now.

We caught up on life and he is a very good runner (he would complete in 1.31) and he advised it’s downhill for first few miles so take it easy and don’t get carried away save yourself for the second half.

Good advice 👍 (note to self, when an experienced and accomplished runner gives good advice , maybe just once put it into practice 🙄)

So gun goes off I wait patiently to cross the start line , hit start on garmin nothing happens …… lots of frantic pressing buttons seems to have eventually started the pace pro plan but for the rest of the race it was about a third of a mile off from the mile markers and I could not understand what was going on and I slowed down quite a bit trying to fix it……

Immediately after that I felt my fuel belt was a little loose… tried to tighten it on the run and managed to loosen it more. Had to slow down again and try to fix it….. after multiple attempts I was stressed out and took off and did the first 3 mins at near 5k pace, ITB flared up badly and by mile 3 the urge to just stop was high as I couldn’t envision getting another 10 miles with my ITB as sore as it was.

I made a conscious decision that I would ease right off and just try to finish

I got to mile 5&6 and it was fairly flat ITB was not getting worse, at mile 7 I took ibuprofen a gel and some Gatorade which helped.

Kept plodding on and after the hill of doom at mile 11.5 (Which I walked) I felt the last mile was endless.

I finished in 2.08 which I am genuinely happy with at this stage, I feel had I prepped a bit better and took it steady I could have got under 2.05. 1.59 was never on the cards 😖

I have a few races in the calendar ….. I am headed to Florida for the Spring time surprise 10 miler….. I am incredibly exited , first trip to WDW since 2015 just myself and my DW….. it will be weird being their without kids or grandkids.

When we land back in U.K. we are making a stop on route home to run a half marathon the day after. It is a very flat course so I am looking forward to it.

Finally in Mid May I have a full Marathon, whilst I have ran everything up to Half marathon for my long runs over half distance and the 26.2 itself I will be using a run walk strategy to try to get in under 5 hrs.

I have a plan written out and it will require me to up my game in terms of base running and consistency.

If I can get that in place I will be doing well. If I can do that I will then look to expand into more specific Speed sessions etc.

I look at some of the detailed plans here and am in awe of them but until I can get the basic runs in they are for the future.

Hope everyone is doing well ?

Is anyone else heading to Florida for the Springtime Surprise ?

Col

Congrats on your race. ITB issues are the bane of a runner's existence. I have yet to figure out why mine have totally gone away--not like I have done anything dramatically differently to deal with them.

I've been sorta kinda near where you did your race--stop at Falkirk Wheel (yes, former engineer geeking out) and also Doune Castle (Python fan). On a whim, I signed up to do the Half Dramathon this year.

Good luck with your training this year.

Congrats on your race. ITB issues are the bane of a runner's existence. I have yet to figure out why mine have totally gone away--not like I have done anything dramatically differently to deal with them.

I've been sorta kinda near where you did your race--stop at Falkirk Wheel (yes, former engineer geeking out) and also Doune Castle (Python fan). On a whim, I signed up to do the Half Dramathon this year.

Good luck with your training this year.
Thank you…. Mine come and go tend not to bother me until d oh bye digit miles but had bee fairly quiet.

My actual home town is Falkirk….. I lived there for 46 years, I remember watching the wheel being built, and the canal towpaths that run alongside were my training routes for decades….. so cool when I find someone who knows it as it is not that well known in the world 😂

Beer Mile

So has this been checked off the list yet? It's a interesting one for sure lol. If I ever find myself running WDW again and you are as well, we will make a beer mile happen... or if you live around I-10 in Louisiana, well the beer mile could happen a lot sooner now! Plan on reading more of this thread this afternoon, but wanted to comment on the beer mile first!

So has this been checked off the list yet? It's a interesting one for sure lol. If I ever find myself running WDW again and you are as well, we will make a beer mile happen... or if you live around I-10 in Louisiana, well the beer mile could happen a lot sooner now! Plan on reading more of this thread this afternoon, but wanted to comment on the beer mile first!
Hi no it’s still to be done, so would be up for that 👍

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter