My Experience with DCL Check-In at Hyatt MCO

For those of you who have done this process recently, did you have to book the Hyatt through DCL in order to be on the list? Or can you just tell DCL that you have a reservation there? I read on another thread someone saying that her TA told her the Hyatt stay had to be booked through DCL in order to be on their official guest list.

Is the "other" MCO bus location where ME used to be?

I can book Hyatt MCO using cc points for my niece's stay in September. I just want to make sure I'm giving her correct facts and not having her be denied boarding or getting the runaround becaue I gave her outdated info.

It sounds like a CF at the Hyatt lobby with lines winding around the room and I'm wondering if it's actually all that convenient. As pp mentioned, just go to the other location and know your bags are going with you.

We also considered just getting a cheaper offsite hotel that includes free breakfast and taking private transfers but then they're at the mercy of the PAT system which the Hyatt stay bypasses.

I'm not sure which to choose.

The “other” location where ME used to be is now mears connect. We still use that to go to the resorts.
I believe the DCL location is on the same floor before the old ME, I can’t remember I just know where to go each time. It’s easy peasy though.
The Hyatt lobby is a CF, we stay at the hyatt MCO and then just walk down to the DCL checkin and drop our luggage. This can all be done on your own time schedule. When you arrive at port you immediately go in since you are on DCL bus.

The “other” location where ME used to be is now mears connect. We still use that to go to the resorts.
I believe the DCL location is on the same floor before the old ME, I can’t remember I just know where to go each time. It’s easy peasy though.
The Hyatt lobby is a CF, we stay at the hyatt MCO and then just walk down to the DCL checkin and drop our luggage. This can all be done on your own time schedule. When you arrive at port you immediately go in since you are on DCL bus.
So you are still in BG1? Or you just don’t have to worry about a PAT?

So you are still in BG1? Or you just don’t have to worry about a PAT?
We still have to choose a PAT at online checkin, but that doesn’t matter since we are on a DCL bus. The boarding group # does as that is how you know when to board. It definitely isn’t #1, I think last time we were #16 and the terminal was full when we arrived. But less than 5 minutes we were boarding. I seriously can’t remember what time it was, I feel like it was 12:45 or so because we were at the mdr for lunch at 1. We like to arrive later, so this doesn’t work if you want to be one of the earliest on board. This was a wish sailing that was full.

I thought the process at the Hyatt MCO was seamless when we did this last month. You line up according to concierge/castaway status — they give you a letter with the approximate time to get in line based on your status. FWIW, on our sailing they finished all the groups with status way ahead of that schedule and let us first time cruisers in line earlier. At the desk they check everyone’s passports, program your magic band, etc so all you need to do at the terminal is scan your boarding pass as you board the ship. They also give you a sticker of a Disney character that is like your ticket to board the bus. We were on the “Donald” bus and they called us maybe around 10:15? At the port by 11:30 and waited there for probably half an hour before they called our boarding group (6). Yes, there were a lot of people and it was chaotic, but I was seriously impressed how well Disney managed to organize the chaos.

ETA we booked through Disney cause their contract rate was considerably cheaper than the going rate that weekend (Presidents’ Day…) but I had read other threads here that you can book directly and just call to have them update your transfer information. You should get an email confirmation that specifically says pickup at the Hyatt. Since you have to call to book anyway I would just call their customer service line.

Last edited:
Hotel - yes to booking directly then notifying Disney when you book transfers (or update your pick-up location). I did this in September (Disney had no rooms to offer, but I found a good rate through Hyatt website).

We did not have a lobby full of people - because I refuse to rush to be first and want some sleep. Maybe 10 minutes in line. Got our assignment and went back to the room.

The Hyatt is a convenience that you pay for. Priority PAT, with no need to pick a time. No waiting for hotel shuttles.

Get off the plane and skip all intermediate steps of taking shuttles to hotel and back in the morning.

And we have only done Hyatt once - because we were arriving late (after midnight) and didn’t want the extra steps to cut into sleep time (or stand outside in heat & humidity waiting for rideshare, as shuttle didn’t run after midnight).

It was so much easier. And we weren’t having to deal with children, either.

If we aren’t doing anything at WDW beforehand, we would typically stay across the interstate, using free hotel shuttles between airport and hotel.

We are a family of 5 and DCL cannot book the deluxe queen rooms that have a pull down bed and sleep 5. They can only book a max of 4 to a room, so we did not get the $100 discount booking directly through Disney. Our room was $640.13.

I called DCL after booking Hyatt and then added transportation. You do need to inform DCL that you will be staying at the Hyatt at the airport (FYI: there is another Hyatt nearby not eligible for the bus).

Last edited:

Hotel - yes to booking directly then notifying Disney when you book transfers (or update your pick-up location). I did this in September (Disney had no rooms to offer, but I found a good rate through Hyatt website).

We did not have a lobby full of people - because I refuse to rush to be first and want some sleep. Maybe 10 minutes in line. Got our assignment and went back to the room.

The Hyatt is a convenience that you pay for. Priority PAT, with no need to pick a time. No waiting for hotel shuttles.

Get off the plane and skip all intermediate steps of taking shuttles to hotel and back in the morning.

And we have only done Hyatt once - because we were arriving late (after midnight) and didn’t want the extra steps to cut into sleep time (or stand outside in heat & humidity waiting for rideshare, as shuttle didn’t run after midnight).

It was so much easier. And we weren’t having to deal with children, either.

If we aren’t doing anything at WDW beforehand, we would typically stay across the interstate, using free hotel shuttles between airport and hotel.
This is good to hear. I love the convenience/location of the Hyatt, I just don't like their high prices. We have stayed there many times. It's especially nice if your flight gets delayed. It used to be easy to get it on Hotwire for $59 +tax. Ah, the good ol' days.

I'm not sure if they still do, since so much has changed since covid, but they used to retrieve your bags from baggage claim for $10/bag and deliver to your hotel room. We've never done it but for seniors, or those with disabilities, this would be a very welcomed service.

What do you mean you got your assignment and went back to the room? Is this when they say you're in the Donald group? Do they tell you what time to return to the lobby?

We are a family of 5 and DCL cannot book the deluxe queen rooms that have a pull down bed and sleep 5. They can only book a max of 4 to a room, so we did not get the $100 discount booking directly through Disney. Our room was $640.13.

I called DCL after booking Hyatt and then added transportation. You do need to inform DCL that you will be staying at the Hyatt at the airport (FYI: there is another Hyatt nearby not eligible for the bus).

So just to clarify, you booked the Hyatt yourself and informed DCL that you were staying at the Hyatt?

I thought the process at the Hyatt MCO was seamless when we did this last month. You line up according to concierge/castaway status — they give you a letter with the approximate time to get in line based on your status. FWIW, on our sailing they finished all the groups with status way ahead of that schedule and let us first time cruisers in line earlier. At the desk they check everyone’s passports, program your magic band, etc so all you need to do at the terminal is scan your boarding pass as you board the ship. They also give you a sticker of a Disney character that is like your ticket to board the bus. We were on the “Donald” bus and they called us maybe around 10:15? At the port by 11:30 and waited there for probably half an hour before they called our boarding group (6). Yes, there were a lot of people and it was chaotic, but I was seriously impressed how well Disney managed to organize the chaos.

ETA we booked through Disney cause their contract rate was considerably cheaper than the going rate that weekend (Presidents’ Day…) but I had read other threads here that you can book directly and just call to have them update your transfer information. You should get an email confirmation that specifically says pickup at the Hyatt. Since you have to call to book anyway I would just call their customer service line.

Well, that's good to hear. Maybe it was just rough in the beginning and they've gotten the kinks out since then.
We use a TA so we don't ever call DCL directly. She would be the one to send us the email. I will make sure it says the Hyatt on it. This cruise is actually for my niece & her family but it's my TA and $$ so she emails all the confirmations to both of us. Thank you. :goodvibes

With so many cruises leaving from Miami, PE, NYC, etc. I really miss sailing out of PC. :sad1: That won't be happening any time soon since dh really wants to stay on the classic ships with a lot fewer people.
Our Dream cruise on the 17th was soooo full. :crowded:

So just to clarify, you booked the Hyatt yourself and informed DCL that you were staying at the Hyatt?

Well, that's good to hear. Maybe it was just rough in the beginning and they've gotten the kinks out since then.
We use a TA so we don't ever call DCL directly. She would be the one to send us the email. I will make sure it says the Hyatt on it. This cruise is actually for my niece & her family but it's my TA and $$ so she emails all the confirmations to both of us. Thank you. :goodvibes

With so many cruises leaving from Miami, PE, NYC, etc. I really miss sailing out of PC. :sad1: That won't be happening any time soon since dh really wants to stay on the classic ships with a lot fewer people.
Our Dream cruise on the 17th was soooo full. :crowded:
Yes I booked the Hyatt separately and then informed DCL of the addition. They coordinate with Hyatt. When we checked in the Hyatt already had us on the DCL list for pickup and bag retrieval.

Just read about a carnival cruise that flooded due to rains in Miami. We’ve never sailed out of Miami but Port Canaveral has been great so far. This time the ID checks were done at the Hyatt so we just got off the bus and went through security scans and then had to show our QR codes (print them as backup) near the big Mickey ears entrance to the ship. Last year there was an ID check and then security like a normal airport.

Last edited:
Yes I booked the Hyatt separately and then informed DCL of the addition. They coordinate with Hyatt. When we checked in the Hyatt already had us on the DCL list for pickup and bag retrieval.

Just read about a carnival cruise that flooded due to rains in Miami. We’ve never sailed out of Miami but Port Canaveral has been great so far. This time the ID checks were done at the Hyatt so we just got off the ship and went through security scans and then had to show our QR codes (print them as backup) near the big Mickey ears entrance to the ship. Last year there was an ID check and then security like a normal airport.

Thanks. PC is the best. :thumbsup2
DCL has Disneyfied their port at PE with a Nemo theme but it lacks the detail of PC: the beautiful floor with the inlaid map of the Bahamas, the model of the Magic, etc. It feels more 'temporary' as if they could pull out in a few years without having invested too much in the decor.

There are plenty of people of sail Carnival and enjoy it but I'd rather go to work that use my precious vacation time on a Carnival cruise.

I read on another thread someone saying that her TA told her the Hyatt stay had to be booked through DCL in order to be on their official guest list
Definitely not required. We always book directly through the Hyatt app since we have points, and then just let DCL know when I book transfers that I'm staying there, Easy peasy. When we stayed there the last time, I asked when we checked in, and they said we weren't on the list and advised us to call the DCL transfer line. I did, and they said that it was a problem on their end and that it would be fixed ASAP. We went down about an hour or so later, just before dinner, and the front desk confirmed we were on the list.

So assuming you're on the list at the Hyatt to be picked up there, are you allowed to bring your own luggage? Or do they say you must leave it in your room? Despite it being more convenient to leave it in the room, my niece would prefer to bring her bags to the bus. Do you see anyone else doing that?

Also my TA is saying they told her that DCL-tagged luggage is put outside the door before midnight and they'll take it during the night. That makes no sense if you don't have to check in for the bus until morning.
Maybe she's thinking of another cruise line?

So assuming you're on the list at the Hyatt to be picked up there, are you allowed to bring your own luggage? Or do they say you must leave it in your room? Despite it being more convenient to leave it in the room, my niece would prefer to bring her bags to the bus. Do you see anyone else doing that?

Also my TA is saying they told her that DCL-tagged luggage is put outside the door before midnight and they'll take it during the night. That makes no sense if you don't have to check in for the bus until morning.
You do not have to have them pick it up in the room. We do carry on only and wheel it to the bus. We let the driver know we will be hand carrying it on the ship.

The luggage that must be left outside by 10pm is the night before you disembark on the ship. Once again, if you wish to hand carry your luggage off, you are welcome to.

If it is a carryon bag you can bring it with you to the bus. If it is a full size suitcase it will need to go with the porters. That said, you do not need to leave it in the room. My luggage tags did not arrive so I had to get them at check in and I brought my bags with me and tagged them downstairs. They then told me to take them to the bells services in the lobby, which I did and they had a cart where they were collecting bags from other cruisers dropping them off. So that's an option if your niece doesn't want to leave them in the room. I get it--I was actually glad our luggage tags didn't arrive because I'd be too nervous to leave it in the room worrying they would be left behind by mistake; so it gave me some piece of mind to hand it directly to bell services.

Agree with the PP that your TA is thinking of pickup on the last night of the cruise rather than pickup at the hotel. Pickup at the hotel happens in the morning. But on the cruise, it happens the night before because they start disembarkation so early that is the only way to keep it orderly.

Agree with the PP that your TA is thinking of pickup on the last night of the cruise rather than pickup at the hotel. Pickup at the hotel happens in the morning. But on the cruise, it happens the night before because they start disembarkation so early that is the only way to keep it orderly.
She must be confused. We are both experienced DCL cruisers & familiar with onboard luggage process but it’s been a while since I stayed at the Hyatt pre-cruise and it’s all changed since then.
Even if my TA was thinking about luggage pick up on the cruise, it has to be put out by 10 pm, not midnight. :scratchin

If it is a carryon bag you can bring it with you to the bus. If it is a full size suitcase it will need to go with
If it is a carryon bag you can bring it with you to the bus. If it is a full size suitcase it will need to go with the porters. That said, you do not need to leave it in the room. My luggage tags did not arrive so I had to get them at check in and I brought my bags with me and tagged them downstairs. They then told me to take them to the bells services in the lobby, which I did and they had a cart where they were collecting bags from other cruisers dropping them off. So that's an option if your niece doesn't want to leave them in the room. I get it--I was actually glad our luggage tags didn't arrive because I'd be too nervous to leave it in the room worrying they would be left behind by mistake; so it gave me some piece of mind to hand it directly to bell services.

Thanks for explaining. At least she wont be the only ones not wanting to leave bags in the hotel room.

The luggage has to be tagged and left INSIDE the room before 8 am est (day of the cruise) if you want to it picked up.

I believe you can take it with you and give it to bell services (just confirm at check in)

6D914682-6571-4B91-83D5-4906579FEAA7.jpeg

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter