My NYE Dilemma

DisneyMommy77

DIS Veteran
Hello,
12/31 is our HS reservation day. We are AP, so technically we can park hop that day after 2, if available.

I have a 10:50 PM reservation for the MK Fireworks Dessert Party-Treats and Seats. Sounds like that might be perfect timing to see the NYE fireworks.

I am not worried about dealing with crowds because we always go at the busiest times, but I am worried that we may not be able to get in as I know NYE in MK is very popular and has hit capacity in the past. I have already paid a lot of money for this dessert party, and if we can’t get in will we be able to get a refund?

Also, we have never done a dessert party, so if anyone can share their experience with Treats and Seats I would love to hear.

I do feel like I may be stressing all day wondering how our evening will turn out and it may not be worth it.

Would love to hear everyone’s thoughts!
Thanks!

I was considering booking a dessert party for nye as well but I have never seen any available. Can I ask how long ago you were able to book it.?

Someone posted on a FB page I follow just a few weeks ago they were now available, so I was able to scoop one up.

Are you prepared to lose that money if you cannot get into MK?

I personally think there is a very high probability MK will be closed to those without a park reservation 12/31.

I went to WDW for NYE for nearly 20 years. We would do the MK on 12/30 and Epcot at 12/31. I was never turned away from a park. The MK *did* close a couple times a week between Christmas and New Years to some guests sometime mid-morning (and the parking lot would close before then) but it would always reopen to everyone by the mid-afternoon.

Disney used to go through clear phases for denial of entry: https://www.wdwmagic.com/park-closing-phases.htm , but I'm not sure how that fits into the new reservation system. Under the old rules, you would clearly be able to enter the MK (resort guest, AP, dining reservation) unless it was closed to everyone. Unfortunately, none of us know exactly how they are determining closures with the park reservation system in place. I would feel better if you had a reservation at the MK, but I think you'll be fine. I would plan to get to the MK and enjoy the craziness earlier rather than later. You'll want to be there no later than 6:00 or 7:00 if you can.

I've also done the dessert party for the 12/30 fireworks. The hub is so jam packed with wall-to-wall people that you will be happy that you have a spot that is all your own. The view from the garden is much better than the restaurant view, but the view from the restaurant is better than being in the scrum. I was less than impressed by the food at the party, but that wasn't why I booked it. There should be some new reviews of the current party. It now includes beer and wine v/s the terrible sparkling cider they used to serve so that's a plus right there. I would ALSO try to get in line earlier rather than later for your dessert party. I'm not sure if tables are assigned but if they are not, you'll want to snag one near the railing for your best view.

Are you prepared to lose that money if you cannot get into MK?

I personally think there is a very high probability MK will be closed to those without a park reservation 12/31.

I agree that there is a high probability that MK will close at some point on 12/31. But I also think there's a very high probability they would be able to get a refund for the party if they are denied entry.

I agree that there is a high probability that MK will close at some point on 12/31. But I also think there's a very high probability they would be able to get a refund for the party if they are denied entry.
I think there is a probability that the MK might close, but not a "high probability". Especially since the OP has the Disney trifecta of an AP, a resort reservation, and a prepaid dessert party.

OP, I would keep an eye on Christmas Day via WDW Magic and see if the MK closes on Christmas Day and when it reopens. I would say that's a pretty good gauge on what will happen on NYE.

I think there is a probability that the MK might close, but not a "high probability". Especially since the OP has the Disney trifecta of an AP, a resort reservation, and a prepaid dessert party.

OP, I would keep an eye on Christmas Day via WDW Magic and see if the MK closes on Christmas Day and when it reopens. I would say that's a pretty good gauge on what will happen on NYE.

Yes, you're right. That was too strong of a word.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter