My views of Aulani vs other DVC resorts in terms of the resort itself

Captain_Oblivious said:
Is there a new location? From what I can tell, the only places to get drinks refilled are the Lava Shack and One Paddle Two Paddle, which have limited hours. I'm trying to decide if the refillable mugs are worth the cost or not. I'd love to be able to get coffee in the morning but can't figure out if there is a place to actually do that anymore.:confused3

We didn't do the refillable mugs but did get daily lattes at the Olelo room. There was a larger table set up there with hot water for tea, decaf and regular Kona coffee. People with refillable mugs were filling up there each day:) they open at 6 am.

We didn't do the refillable mugs but did get daily lattes at the Olelo room. There was a larger table set up there with hot water for tea, decaf and regular Kona coffee. People with refillable mugs were filling up there each day:) they open at 6 am.

Thanks! :goodvibes

Is there a new location? From what I can tell, the only places to get drinks refilled are the Lava Shack and One Paddle Two Paddle, which have limited hours. I'm trying to decide if the refillable mugs are worth the cost or not. I'd love to be able to get coffee in the morning but can't figure out if there is a place to actually do that anymore.:confused3

The Lava Shack station is self-serve and located outside of the store, so you can refill at any time.

The Olelo room has the fantastic Kona coffee and they open around 6am. I was told that the continental breakfast there was from 6-9, but we went for "second breakfast" around 9:30am and they still had a nice selection of pastries and deliciously fresh fruit. They also offer two hot breakfast sandwiches of bacon, egg & cheese either on an english muffin or croissant.
Quite tasty, but they are made to order, so it can take 15 minutes or so to get.

So excited to be visiting Aulani in August for the first time. Thanks to everyone who posted here with great pros / cons of the rooms and the resort.

Does anyone know when the construction is scheduled for completion?

The Lava Shack station is self-serve and located outside of the store, so you can refill at any time.

The Olelo room has the fantastic Kona coffee and they open around 6am. I was told that the continental breakfast there was from 6-9, but we went for "second breakfast" around 9:30am and they still had a nice selection of pastries and deliciously fresh fruit. They also offer two hot breakfast sandwiches of bacon, egg & cheese either on an english muffin or croissant.
Quite tasty, but they are made to order, so it can take 15 minutes or so to get.

Great. That's exactly the info I needed. Thank you! :)

Second breakfast? So does that mean hobbits are welcome? :rotfl2:

I just returned from our second Aulani visit. I've been there with and without construction. I would say that you can have a wonderful experience at Aulani with the current level of construction there.

That said, it's not 100% either. How could it be with the sounds of construction in the background and parts of the pool deck closed off? I still think it's worth it. After travelling a lot with a family I have learned that the nearly "perfect" trip is a once in a decade experience. There are just too many variables that can go wrong. Especially with kids. This was the first trip in a very long time where nobody got sick, for example. We've just learned over time to get the joy where and when we can and not focus on any bad things.

So I guess I'd say that I wouldn't schedule a Once in a Lifetime Hawaiian vacation right now for this summer and only stay at Aulani the whole time. If you've already booked it, don't worry about the construction, if it's not a once in a lifetime trip, don't worry about the construction. If you are going to visit other resorts, locations and/or islands, don't worry about the construction.

One thing for sure - I would not rent a cabana by the main pool during this time because it backs right up to the construction zone. We always tried to sit as far away as possible - or even better - we sat on the beach. Also, there is no construction on Sunday - at least not when we were there.

More than the construction, our visits was impacted both times by the increase in crowds on the weekends. The weekdays were sooo peaceful and nice. I will schedule our outings and excursions for Sat and/or Sun next visit. However, we travel during the offseason and so it might be busy all week long during summer and school vacations.

We had a LOVELY stay.
Aloha!

We are here now. The pool water is extremely warm it feels like bath water and I'm a baby when it comes to being cold

Perhaps they have listened to the complaints and raised the temps? I know it is not due to the air temp...pretty much the same as when we were there in November. That is good news!

Wonderful. My family and I were at Aulani September 2012. The cold pool water was one of my biggest gripes. I cannot wait to go back! I wish it was going to be a bit sooner. I am not planning on returning until August 2014. I hope the pool water is still warm then. :cheer2:

It is definitely warmer in the afternoon than the morning but never cold so far. And like I said I'm usually one that has to take a good 10 minutes to "ease" myself in but not so far here- it's been quite pleasant

If you have teeneagers and are concerned about having only one bathroom (shower), I know it is not ideal, but keep the lounge in mind for showering. I thought the shower area was really nice. Down there for a shower, and back upstairs to do hair and make-up. The large mirror over the desk in the bedroom could be used like another vanity.

Again, not ideal but if it would make it easier on someone's family, I would keep it on mind.

We dream every single day of returning to Aulani, we LOVVVVED it!!!

Which lounge is this?

If you have teeneagers and are concerned about having only one bathroom (shower), I know it is not ideal, but keep the lounge in mind for showering. I thought the shower area was really nice. Down there for a shower, and back upstairs to do hair and make-up. The large mirror over the desk in the bedroom could be used like another vanity.

Again, not ideal but if it would make it easier on someone's family, I would keep it on mind.

We dream every single day of returning to Aulani, we LOVVVVED it!!!

Which lounge is this?

I think the prior poster is referring to the Luana Lounge, which is located next to the Pau Hana Community Hall on the first floor. The Luana Lounge is designed for guests who have late check-outs and early check-ins. It has TVs and chairs/couches, and a computer and printer that can be used to print out airline boarding passes. It has shower and dressing facilities for men and women and it has oversized lockers (free of charge) that can hold backpacks and other carry-on luggage.

The Luana Lounge is ideal for guests who have a late flight back to the mainland but still want to use Aulani's pools for a few more hours. The Luana Lounge even has a spin dry contraption that will get most (but not all) of the water out of your swimsuit.

Yes, that is the lounge to which I was referring. I think I recall there being shampoos and soaps in there and I they have very nice white, large towels, I think they are the same as the ones used at the pool.

Again, I know it is not ideal but certainly an option. It came to mind to suggest it after reading on the cruise board how many folks head down to the spa to shower rather than in their small stateroom.

Good luck everyone. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter