Navi River Journey Rope Drop

rexmism

Registered
I've heard that River Journey is pretty relaxing to rope drop, and you can typically do it 2-3 times before the line gets over 10 minutes. Is this a common occurrence? How soon before opening do you recommend getting to the park for it? Does AK consistently open 20-30 minutes before official opening? I know it's happened a lot, I'm just wondering how common it is, or if there are days it doesn't open early. Thanks!

If your goal is to ride 3 times before the line is over 10 minutes, you will need to be at AK about 45 minutes before it opens. If you want to ride 1-2 times with a short wait, you can show up 15-30 minutes before it "opens", but in all likelihood, the park will be open already.

Navi will be the first ride we head to once the park opens. Most of our FPs are later in the day so that'll work out great

I've heard that River Journey is pretty relaxing to rope drop, and you can typically do it 2-3 times before the line gets over 10 minutes.
That was our experience. We got to the park just as they were letting people in. Everyone rushed over to FOP while we leisurely strolled over to Navi. As we exited the ride the posted wait time was 10 minutes so we got back in line - it was a walk on. As we exited for the second time the posted wait time was 10 minutes.

It's maybe worth noting that the park opens 30-45 minutes early, but they won't open Pandora until 9am. A line will form from the Discovery Island -> Pandora bridge next to Tiffins and fill up back towards Island Mercantile

The advice quoted below is solid

If your goal is to ride 3 times before the line is over 10 minutes, you will need to be at AK about 45 minutes before it opens. If you want to ride 1-2 times with a short wait, you can show up 15-30 minutes before it "opens", but in all likelihood, the park will be open already.

We showed up at ak a little after 8 for an 8 am opening, walked straight to Navi, and got right on. The wait was posted at 20 minutes but there was no line.

I've concluded I am doing Na'ji at rope drop and FoP last, just before close.

This is our plan too, although I managed to snag one FOP fastpass for our full AK day. However that won't show us the lab room either and gosh darn it, I wanna see that floating Navi in person. Even if it means waiting in line for awhile.

So I worked on my tour plans in a little more depth last night. My plan is to do Na'ji and then run to EE and ride as many times as possible before the line gets too bad. This is not an EMH morning and I do not plan to get a FP for EE until later in the afternoon. My family really loves EE (except for one who is petrified of it). UT has this as a yellow day. I think it is at a 6/10 crowd level. We will do FoP very last. Any thoughts on this?

Last edited:
I've concluded I am doing Na'ji at rope drop and FoP last, just before close.
Just this morning I got FOP FP for 4 for our first day and we are 31 days out. I had booked Na’vi because that’s all we could get at 60 days out. I can’t believe that happened, I was on auto mode just going through the steps of checking that I almost missed it.
Don’t give up, people cancel/change plans all the time.

So I worked on my tour plans in a little more dept last night. My plan is to do Na'ji and then run to EE and ride as many times as possible before the line gets too bad. This is not an EMH morning and I do not plan to get a FP for EE until later in the afternoon. My family really loves EE (except for one who is petrified of it). UT has this as a yellow day. I think it is at a 6/10 crowd level. We will do FoP very last. Any thoughts on this?

We were there last week with a regular (non EMH) 8:00am opening. We went straight to Dinoland so my kids could get multiple rides on PW. At rope drop (which was right at 8:00am for Dinoland), I talked to a Dad who said they went to Na’vi and the rope dropped over there at 7:45am, so they had ridden that once and still made it for the Dinoland rope drop. I was doing a face palm at that point ... wish I would have thought of that!

Anyway, we made it over to EE at 8:35 (after a few spins on PW and one ride on Dinosaur) and standby was 15 minutes at that point. My kids rode once on standby and then used FP to ride a second time (at that point the wait was posted at 30 min). We then walked over to the Safari and did standby for that ... it was 9:09am at that point and standby was listed as 15 minutes. We were in our truck at 9:18 and had the beat Safari ever ... off and at FOTLK at 9:50am for the 10:00am show.

AK rope drop is now my favorite ever ... FOP draws all the crowds, so the rest of the park was so pleasant! Not sure how that will change with a 9:00am opening (maybe Pandora won’t open 15 minutes early if it’s not as crowded???), but we were there on a 10 day over spring break.

So I worked on my tour plans in a little more dept last night. My plan is to do Na'ji and then run to EE and ride as many times as possible before the line gets too bad. This is not an EMH morning and I do not plan to get a FP for EE until later in the afternoon. My family really loves EE (except for one who is petrified of it). UT has this as a yellow day. I think it is at a 6/10 crowd level. We will do FoP very last. Any thoughts on this?

This is my plan as well, except on an EMH morning. I was able to get FPs for FOP so we'll rope drop Na'vi and then head over to EE. I'm hoping to get a few rides in before the line build too much.

That’s exactly what we did. We went to Navi and walked right onto that. We then fast walked to EE and my niece and I got to ride twice without a wait. We had to get off and walk around but didn’t wait either time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter