NC to WDW by car - need a stopping point

LizL

Mouseketeer
DH and I are driving from NC (just south of Raleigh) to WDW in early February. Actually, I am driving and DH is riding. It is about 11 hours, not including stops. DH is disabled and cannot ride in a car comfortably, so we will be making several stretching stops along the way. He won't be able to make it all in one day. We'd like to stop 3-4 hours from WDW on Saturday night, preferably at a Marriott property - regular Marriott, Fairfield Inn, Residence Inn. We don't do fast food, so somewhere near some restaurants would be great. Any ideas?

Liz,

I live just southwest of Raleigh and have made that drive a number of times. Based on your 3-4 hour from WDW rule, I would say that you are looking at staying somewhere around either Brunswick, GA, or Jacksonville. It will be about 8 hours of driving (not counting stops) to Jacksonville, and that would leave you just under 3 hours the next day (assuming no traffic tie-ups). One area that I might recommend that you look at is the area off of I-95 south of the downtown Jacksonville area (that is, just north of the southern intersection of I-95 and I-295. At the Butler Blvd exit, there is a Marriott Courtyard that I have stayed at before (on business). There are a number of hotels at the Baymeadows exit. As a matter of fact, I have a reservation at a Residence Inn at the Baymeadows exit as a stopping point on the way down for our family trip to WDW in March. (We are staying free by using some of the Marriott Reward points I have accumulated over the years! :D )

There are restaurants at both exits...I remember a Cracker Barrel at the Bulter exit, and a Red Lobster (plus some others) at the Baymeadows exit.

Have a great trip! :earsboy:

We like to stop at exit 3 St Marys, GA its just 3 miles from the Florida state line, there are several nice motels there. We like to stay at the Country Inn and Suites its real nice, there are lots of places to eat also, plus its a great place to fuel up, the gas is the cheapest around. From here its about 3 to 4 hours drive to WDW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter