Need advice for 2 couples traveling together

ncbyrne

DIS Veteran
DH and myself, plus DH's twin brother and his wife have a trip scheduled for Sept 22-29. We're from NJ, they are from FL and we'll be meeting at their two bedroom offsite timeshare in Kissimmee. We're discovering that each couple has different ideas on how to plan the WDW trip. DH and I always travel commando style (and WDW is no exception), and the other couple is much more laid back. Need opinions (other than the obvious) on how other couples with differening opinions planned a joint vacation....and still stayed close friends afterward?! :)

are you during everything together? or you could meet up for the things that both parties like to do - restuarants or a particular ride or show then everyone go their separte ways.

Otherwise I think you are in trouble. Kept in mind that September can be and generally is very hot and humid - and the park hours are limited. I think both MK, AK and the Studios are all close by 7:00pm (when it colder) - so only EPcot is open until 9:00pm.

How different are your schedules?

do you each have your own transportation? Or are you all going in 1 car?

Encountered this issue last summer, with my Bro and his Fiance. Do not try to plan a day together. If you're early risers, and they are not, you'll be disappointed due to time lost. Make a plan of meeting at a particular ride around lunchtime. Then, spend the afternoon together. We would subsequently get tired and retreat to our respective hotels for a nap. Before leaving the parks to do so, we would first make a dinner ressie and go our separate ways until dinner.

Last October we went to WDW with another couple so I have some advice for you! Before you go, sit down with the other couple and discuss what your expectations are (your likes, dislikes, pace of touring the parks, transportation, meals, budget, etc....). When you have a good feel for what each couple wants to see, make a loose schedule for the trip. Please do not try to spend all your time together. Meet up for things that both couples want (ie dinner, a show, etc..). It's very unlikely that you'll all want to see the same things at the same time.

Our big problem with touring with another couple is that we are "disney experts" so to speak and they had never been. I tried to give them a rundown of the parks and the Disney transportation so that they wouldn't have to be with us all the time. Dh and I are music freaks whereas our friends don't like music - period. We had a disastrous trip (because they didn't feel comfortable venturing out on their own - yet they complained when they were with us). We couldn't win!!

That's why I can't emphasize enough how important it is to get things out in the open right away. Let them know that it's okay if they want to do something different than you do. Your friendship will be all the better! If you have anymore questions, just ask! I want this trip to be a good one for you!! Learn from my mistakes! ;)

My ex DH and I went with another couple in November 2000. We were commando style people who had been a couple of times before - the other couple used to find it hard to get off the sofa and had never been before.

I made them both read a little about the parks and got them to tell me what they would like to see and ride. Even though we were going at a quiet time of year I really made them aware that you have to do some sort of planning but that there was always room for flexibility (I think I scared them!!)

It turned out that they wanted to do KSC and Disc Cove whilst there which we didn't want to do so we split up for these days and met up again in the evening - I do think it's good for both couples to have time on their own.

When we went shopping at Florida Mall we split up and also when we went to EPCOT because it's so big and there were things that we didn't want to do again but thought the other couple should do.

I hasten to add that every time we left them alone they really didn't accomplish much and felt as if they had seen more when they were with us - you can't beat a bit of commando especially in WDW is MHO

We went last year with my DH's mother, brother and sister-in-law. We had a 2 bdrm villa at OKW. I won't do this again, unless we are in seperate rooms and we just agree to meet somewhere in the middle of the day.

They expected us to plan every moment without any input from them. I would give them descriptions of things and offer choices and they would still say "whatever you think is best". I was pretty sure they didn't like some of our choices.

I suggested we split up when it was obvious to me that my sister-in-law was tired and not feeling well, but they insisted on all of us sticking together and toughing it out. I had a hard time enjoying myself knowing she wasn't feeling well, and all of us ended up cutting our day short, which made me cranky.

I think most of the problem was that they wanted to be polite, and didn't speak up about what they wanted to do. Make sure you talk to the other couple before you go about what a WDW vacation is to you and how you want to spend your days. Find the common ground between you, and share things you both enjoy, but be willing to go your seperate ways the rest of the time.

BTW, we just went on a cruise with Brother & Sister-in-law and had a fabulous time! We planned some things together, and spent some time apart. We can't wait to do it again.

I don't really have any new advice, I just wanted to say that I hope you enjoy your trip. We sure enjoyed meeting you on our trip in May of 2000!

Load them up with info. If you have info share it. I think the free vacation video is a start. I have the interactive WDW CD. Travel channel has had quite a few programs on the parks and the resorts which I have taped. Websites are another source of info. Books are a good resource, too. The library will have older Disney books that are little out-dated if you don't want to buy them. Being informed is the key. Even our vacation photos and video are used as a resource.

Next, do alot of communicating ahead of time. By all means plan an itinerary together. Absolutely, have times each day that you are apart. Every third day we usually split up completely. Meals are a nice time to be together. Take turns picking the places to eat.

We are show people rather then ride people at the parks. We will do both but our preference lies with the shows. If you are very opposite from the other people on this issue then you may be better off going your own way most of the time.

You don't have to plan every minute but you better plan most of it. By agreeing on a plan ahead of time you avoid disagreements once you are there.

All that said, I really enjoy going with others. I especially enjoy people who have not been as much as us. It's so much fun seeing it all through their eyes.

Absolutely, let everyone know they are responsible for their own enjoyment on vacation. There is no way you will agree on it all. If you disagree about most of it then just plan meals together.

I can't wait! I am taking my boyfriend and my best friend and her boyfriend! We are coming in from two different cities and we chat online and call each other alot lately! The best advice I have is we bought the Birnbaum's WDW The Official Guide. We both read it and the 1st night we get there we are going to each have a tentative plan worked out and then try to combine the two. We also know that they are going off on their own for 2 days to Sea World and Universal Studios. So I think that you must find people that you like and like the things you do. My best friend and I just hope our boyfriends get along! No guarntees there! Well, they should I will tell you all about it after I get back!

:bounce:

Good luck with this. Have your friends already visited WDW before? Are they familiar with the parks? Have a talk with them and find out <i>their</i> plan and you may want to split up when you reach the parks and meet up again midday for lunch and reconnoitre. You could take walkie talkies to stay in touch during the day.

I think you're going to have a great time together :)

:cool:

Thank you for your post! My best friend and her boyfriend have never been to WDW, but I know that they are well perpared, we are going to have walkie talkies and cell phones. Well, that you all for your post! I can't wait! 39 more days!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter