Need advice on rig for Disney trips

myjourney

DIS Veteran
Not sure who to ask so I am starting here. Were also going to ask a RV dealer. Do you think it would be safe to haul a 2012 Keystone super lite 289RE with a 2019 Ram 1500 Hemi? It looks like the weights are OK but I do not understand the hitch weight. I think the hitch weight for the RV is 895 but the truck looks like 1,045 ? What additional pieces do we need to be safe, sway bars, distribution bar?

Last edited:
Hang in there for answers. There's a lot of the regulars getting ready to head to the Fort for the big DIS get together, or on the road. Unfortunately I don't know the first thing about bumper pull trailers or 5th wheels. I'm kind of the other way around, I pull my Tahoe with the RV so trailer setups and weights aren't in my personal knowledge base.

This is the hottest topic in RV'ing!!! Expect a lot of strong opinions : ). Most will tell you don't do it as you are just barely over the allowed hitch weight for that vehicle. The back end of the truck is almost certain to droop. You can spend money for air bags or fortify the rear suspension to deal with that. Looking at the Hemi is it the "5.7L HEMI V-8, 3.92:1 axle gears, and the company's Max Tow package"? That take it up to almost 12k max towing.

The trailer specs are:
Dry weight 7,120
GVWR 9,000
Hitch 895

Truck towing capacity:
11,610 or 12,750

I know you want to look at your max payload (and hence also the tongue weight), as that can sometimes be the limiting factor instead of the towing capacity. (ETA; to clarify, if your trailer's tongue weight is too heavy it will be too much for some tow vehicles, and just as with towing capacity, it's not recommended to go over that payload max, and you have to leave room for weight of passengers, cargo, etc...)

This is the hottest topic in RV'ing!!! Expect a lot of strong opinions : ). Most will tell you don't do it as you are just barely over the allowed hitch weight for that vehicle. The back end of the truck is almost certain to droop. You can spend money for air bags or fortify the rear suspension to deal with that. Looking at the Hemi is it the "5.7L HEMI V-8, 3.92:1 axle gears, and the company's Max Tow package"? That take it up to almost 12k max towing.
Yes its the 5.7L Hemi V-8

myjourney,

This is where we need some more numbers on your truck. Hitch weight, because it is carried on the truck frame and supported by the truck axles, is part of the cargo/people weight that the truck can carry. So you need to know/find your Gross Vehicle Weight Rating for your model (how much weight can sit amongst the 4 truck tires max loaded). And then you need to know/find empty/curbside truck weight (will be lower than the GVWR).

The difference between those two numbers is how much STUFF and PEOPLE weights combined that can be carried "in" your truck. This is unrelated somewhat from the towing capacity. The hitch weight from your trailer is considered in with the people and stuff numbers.

So the difference will give you the cargo/people weight capacity. The hitch weight eats up 895# of that number which leaves whatever is left over for people and stuff in the truck (humans, pets, bikes, coolers, luggage, firewood) that you will take camping.

I think you would want a weight distribution hitch. That hitch weight is a large portion of the cargo/people capacity that will be supported mostly on the back axle of the truck. A WDH levels the towing alignment and allows the front truck axle to bear some of the load which provides some relief to the rear axle. Here is a good article regarding WDH:

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-weightdistribution.aspx#:~:text=A weight distribution hitch (or weight distribution system),sway control—correct trailer sway. Read on to learn:

You will want to ensure that the actual hitch you put on the truck to tow the camper is of the appropriate Class (I, II, III, IV) for your trailer weight numbers.

After running the numbers including the hitch weight, if there is enough weight left for people and stuff, you're good to go more or less.

Bama Ed

PS - your numbers look fine from a towing perspective (side-to-side weight). But the gravitational weight (up-down) on the vehicle is what you need to check.

Last edited:
Not sure who to ask so I am starting here. Were also going to ask a RV dealer. Do you think it would be safe to haul a 2012 Keystone super lite 289RE with a 2019 Ram 1500 Hemi? It looks like the weights are OK but I do not understand the hitch weight. I think the hitch weight for the RV is 895 but the truck looks like 1,045 ? What additional pieces do we need to be safe, sway bars, distribution bar?

If you have 15 min or so, this video is one of the better ones that helped me wrap my head around all the different numbers to look at when considering safely towing a TT. Payload Problems: how much can I really tow?

Looks like the GVWR is 3900 front 3900 rear and GVWR6900. I will buy a new truck if I have to but I was hoping this will work. More complicated than I thought.

myjourney,

This is where we need some more numbers on your truck. Hitch weight, because it is carried on the truck frame and supported by the truck axles, is part of the cargo/people weight that the truck can carry. So you need to know/find your Gross Vehicle Weight Rating for your model (how much weight can sit amongst the 4 truck tires max loaded). And then you need to know/find empty/curbside truck weight (will be lower than the GVWR).

The difference between those two numbers is how much STUFF and PEOPLE weights combined that can be carried "in" your truck. This is unrelated somewhat from the towing capacity. The hitch weight from your trailer is considered in with the people and stuff numbers.

So the difference will give you the cargo/people weight capacity. The hitch weight eats up 895# of that number which leaves whatever is left over for people and stuff in the truck (humans, pets, bikes, coolers, luggage, firewood) that you will take camping.

I think you would want a weight distribution hitch. That hitch weight is a large portion of the cargo/people capacity that will be supported mostly on the back axle of the truck. A WDH levels the towing alignment and allows the front truck axle to bear some of the load which provides some relief to the rear axle. Here is a good article regarding WDH:

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-weightdistribution.aspx#:~:text=A weight distribution hitch (or weight distribution system),sway control—correct trailer sway. Read on to learn:

You will want to ensure that the actual hitch you put on the truck to tow the camper is of the appropriate Class (I, II, III, IV) for your trailer weight numbers.

After running the numbers including the hitch weight, if there is enough weight left for people and stuff, you're good to go more or less.

Bama Ed

PS - your numbers look fine from a towing perspective (side-to-side weight). But the gravitational weight (up-down) on the vehicle is what you need to check.

MyJourney,

I'll wait for more specific truck details, but the numbers so far look like you are fine. Definitely get a WD hitch. There are a number of different types, but I would recommend one with an integrated sway control. There are add on sway controls (I had them when I had a TT) that work, but having one that is part of the WD setup is just easier.

The biggest problem with the 1/2 ton trucks (your 1500) and lighter are the transmissions. Towing generates a lot of heat and the heat is what will kill a transmission. Most manufacturers include a transmission cooler in their "tow packages". If you truck doesn't have one, aftermarket coolers are easy to install and worth every penny.

j

Last edited:
I second @Teamuber on the tranny and add the brakes on a 1/2 ton are pretty small, if towing down a 5% grade you could smoke them if you're not careful

The fun part of rv ownership. Just to add, you dont want to be at the top of your max tow weights. You will not have a good time towing. The truck will be a dog up hills, not accelerate or stop fast and generally you will be an unhappy camper. If your planning on flat areas, or not long distance it might be good. Me , i would get a smaller camper or bigger TV. Atually , I had a smaller camper and still got a bigger TV. I added stuff to the 1500 i had to make it better, but it still wasnt as good as a 3/4 ton truck. You could try it out and see how it feels and upgrade later. You will never tow the camper dry, so use the top number even if you dont think you'll be that heavy. Water is weight, so is propane and whatever you load it up with. Make sure the new truck you get ( if you go that route) has a tow package, and you will still need the wdh. My opinion is just that. So take it with a grain of salt. The haul to disney last year made me get a new truck, the other one could and did tow it, but i wasnt happy.

The fun part of rv ownership. Just to add, you dont want to be at the top of your max tow weights. You will not have a good time towing. The truck will be a dog up hills, not accelerate or stop fast and generally you will be an unhappy camper. If your planning on flat areas, or not long distance it might be good. Me , i would get a smaller camper or bigger TV. Atually , I had a smaller camper and still got a bigger TV. I added stuff to the 1500 i had to make it better, but it still wasnt as good as a 3/4 ton truck. You could try it out and see how it feels and upgrade later. You will never tow the camper dry, so use the top number even if you dont think you'll be that heavy. Water is weight, so is propane and whatever you load it up with. Make sure the new truck you get ( if you go that route) has a tow package, and you will still need the wdh. My opinion is just that. So take it with a grain of salt. The haul to disney last year made me get a new truck, the other one could and did tow it, but i wasnt happy.

Seconded this. We had a 21' Forest River Surveyor towing with a Sierra 1500. And it was fine, unfortunately when we bought the truck many years before to the travel trailer, we were not planning on towing and had the wrong rear axle ratio, but it was still ok for the smaller camper and we weren't going up hills in FL. When we upgraded to a newer 25' Forest River Surveyor (almost 29 total), the numbers still worked out "on paper" at the top end for our truck, but it was very, very uncomfortable. Three trips and now we have a new to us, used 2018 2500 Silverado Diesel. We use a Husky Hitch. Night and day, you can barely feel it back there.

The RV Dealer will tell you a half ton can tow much more than is comfortable. Most of the 'half ton fifth wheels' out there I wouldn't attempt it.

Always good , tell the family the dis people said you needed one:) even if they all didn't. Good way to get a new truck8-) you will be happier with it towing.

Tomorrow it looks like we are getting a new truck. Just have to figure out whether it will be the RAM 2500 or 3500 :) I like the trailer and do not want to get a smaller one.
Generally, not a big price difference between a 250)0)/350(0) unless you go with a dual rear wheel 350(0). I'd go for the 3500. It gives a decent increase in rear axle weight ratings. The rest of the truck (engine, transmission, brakes) are the same.

You know bigger truck typically means bigger trailer. ::yes:: That's how I ended up with a 42 ft 5th wheel. :lmao:

j

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter