Never thought I'd do it- Cancelled.

I went in October with my teen daughter for a long weekend trip and still had fun. I've been there dozens of times in my life and she's been 6, so for us to miss an attraction did not take away the enjoyment.

With that, there was still something a little off about the atmosphere in general. The bad behavior I saw was more from adults than children. There were cast members who were trying to keep their smiles on, though the strain was visible.

I'll be back one more time to use a pass I have and show my daughter the Christmas decorations, but we'll be taking a break from Disney after that.

We are die hard WDW fans, having APs for years & taking several deluxe resort, club level stays per year from out of state. We took 5 trips this year… 3 long weekends & 2 week long trips. We have a long weekend booked in January & an 8 night stay in April/ May before our APs expire.

We’ll be retiring in early April. I have happily looked forward to being able to take spur of the moment or longer trips. But now I’m contemplating letting the APs expire. We usually do parks in the morning, relax at the resort in the afternoon & nice signature dinners. We have happily done different tours over the years & loved the original after hours events for the empty park feel. But we were disappointed with this year’s Halloween after hours, too many people made it hard to justify the cost. The prices for deluxe resorts are more than we paid for club level just 2 years ago. None of the upcoming new rides interest us. I would pay for priority ride access, but not if the options are all gone by midday. I am concerned about crowd size & there being less attractions we enjoy doing.

So instead of planning multiple trips in the next few years, I’m considering letting our APs expire. If we go, maybe I’ll just get a package, eat less signature meals. We enjoy deluxe resorts & spend a lot of time at our resort. But with the current prices & no discounts, we’ll probably down grade out resorts too. As new retirees, I have to figure out what’s worth spending our money on. It will be different from when we had a much higher income.

We don’t normally do amusement parks. Disney has always had more “attractions” that we enjoyed instead of just thrill rides. Universal has too many simulator & roller coasters, so that’s out for us. We haven’t been to Disneyland in over 6 years & want to ge back there. I love Washington DC & would happily go there more often. But I totally understand OPs feelings. Not everyone wants to gamble with their vacation time & money.

Last edited:
After all these years, and so many great trips, magical moments, and a lifetime of memories, I never thought I would get to the place where I'm just not excited and looking forward to WDW; but that is where I am right now. Yesterday I did the unthinkable and canceled our February reservation and our 8-night stay at the Yacht Club. I'm just having a hard time getting excited about spending 9K for just the room and park tickets. In addition, this Genie, Genie+, iLL$, slave to a smartphone, no Magical Express, more cutbacks, more add ons for extra money, closures, limited experiences, masks, the uncertainty of the near future of this nearly 2-year pandemic, I have just lost interest.

I guess I'm just getting old and not feeling the magic this time around. I'm sure I'll get flamed and there are some who will say, "Good, fewer people for me." I would say, "Your Welcome." To each their own. I'm not attacking Disney, just that I think they are starting to move in a different direction than I am going. I guess I'll just take some of that money, pack up the truck, attach the boat, and head from N.E. Ohio and find a nice cabin on the lake somewhere in Kentucky, NY, Tenn, or somewhere that's a several-hour drive away and enjoy a quiet and relaxing vacation this time around.
I made a similar post recently about my feelings for our upcoming March trip. I’m not cancelling, but I’m definitely not happy. I actually wrote to Disney about my feelings and just got a call from Guest Services today. That poor lady must have one of the worst jobs, listening to people gripe about stuff she has no control over. She did sound incredibly apologetic. I can tell she’s probably heard these same gripes a million times recently. She said Disney does takes these things seriously and it all does get recorded and tracked. I’m sure nothing will change unless people start voting with their wallets and not showing up. But in closing I told her, I’ve always been excited for my Disney trips in the past. This is the first time I’m not happy leading up to my trip, and I shouldn’t be feeling this way

Long time AP holders averaging 3/5 trips a year and my dd was a CM so as you can see, we are Disney fans.

We have been 2x in 2021 April and November with a NYE trip planned. Honestly after our November trip we cut our Christmas trip from an 8-night trip onsite to 5 offsite with no Disney Park visits planned followed by a 3-night onsite with 3 park days. We promised my niece who just turned 21 a NYE trip with us so we kept the NYE portion.

I posted in other threads, so I won't repeat but we gave G+ and ILL a fair shot in November and it really wasn't worth the 7am wake up, multiple verification steps and then lack of selections/times and then G+ running out of selections later in the day. The pricing of the onsite resorts vs the current benefits is IMHO out of proportion compared to past years. Just a few of the reasons I won't be renewing our AP's this year.

Once epic universe opens up. Disney is gonna really start to feel it imo. Epic universe will give universal that “ Disney property “ type feel. I also expect top notch new ride tech.

At this point for me. All Disney has it nostalgia, which is insanely amazing btw, so they always have my heart. But damn they are disappointing me so much lately

After all these years, and so many great trips, magical moments, and a lifetime of memories, I never thought I would get to the place where I'm just not excited and looking forward to WDW; but that is where I am right now. Yesterday I did the unthinkable and canceled our February reservation and our 8-night stay at the Yacht Club. I'm just having a hard time getting excited about spending 9K for just the room and park tickets. In addition, this Genie, Genie+, iLL$, slave to a smartphone, no Magical Express, more cutbacks, more add ons for extra money, closures, limited experiences, masks, the uncertainty of the near future of this nearly 2-year pandemic, I have just lost interest.

I guess I'm just getting old and not feeling the magic this time around. I'm sure I'll get flamed and there are some who will say, "Good, fewer people for me." I would say, "Your Welcome." To each their own. I'm not attacking Disney, just that I think they are starting to move in a different direction than I am going. I guess I'll just take some of that money, pack up the truck, attach the boat, and head from N.E. Ohio and find a nice cabin on the lake somewhere in Kentucky, NY, Tenn, or somewhere that's a several-hour drive away and enjoy a quiet and relaxing vacation this time around.
I think it makes good sense. Why spend so much money if you won’t enjoy yourself. I’m sure the Disney itch may come back and maybe the rates won’t be so outrageous as well.

Enjoy the time off and I hope you and your group get to have another exciting vacation instead!

I went in August and had an amazing vacation, one of our best. Then Genie+ was announced, and it really soured my outlook on Disney. I had been eagerly anticipating the 50th festivities, but after Genie+ it felt like the magic disappeared. We're going to the MK for one day in February, and one day at Seaworld, staying at ASM for a short trip meant to visit an ailing uncle. We went ahead and bought Genie+ for our one day just to see how it plays out. I'm looking forward to our MK day just because it's not a huge vacation commitment.

Once epic universe opens up. Disney is gonna really start to feel it imo. Epic universe will give universal that “ Disney property “ type feel. I also expect top notch new ride tech.

I’ve seen this said many times. Doesn’t Disney indirectly benefit when Epic opens by increased overall visitors to Orlando?

To be fair we have no idea how good/bad Epic may be let alone what they plan to charge for passes/tickets. We do know material costs are up dramatically which will ultimately all be passed down to the guests.

We have done 10 trips to WDW 6 of those in a row. However, our last trip kind of killed it for us and this was before they introduced their latest round of Magic killing changes. Our last trip it was the crowds and the rain that killed it for us. We were lucky and our kids are grown now. I feel for the young families that didn't get to experience what we did when it was truly magical.

I’ve seen this said many times. Doesn’t Disney indirectly benefit when Epic opens by increased overall visitors to Orlando?

To be fair we have no idea how good/bad Epic may be let alone what they plan to charge for passes/tickets. We do know material costs are up dramatically which will ultimately all be passed down to the guests.

I always figured Universal couldn’t compete because I could buy an express pass and realistically ride both parks in one day. It never was a place to take a 5 day vacation for me. I’m hoping once that opens, it gives me a real reason to dedicate an entire trip there

I understand you. I didn't cancel a trip; rather, I never made the reservations I had planned to make. We're cruising instead (not with Disney).

When it comes to amusement parks we have switched gears over the last ten years and have concentrated on Dollywood and Silver Dollar City. We are well satisfied and the pocketbook is feeling better. From a kids perspective they seem to have just as much fun or more fun doing these other parks.

I think we will continue to go to other amusement parks like Santa's Village, Holiday World and Indiana Beach. We live in the Midwest and all these parks are easy for us to drive.
Another great park you might want to consider is Cedar Point in Sandusky, OH.

Sounds like the OP has been reading a lot of negative 3rd party reports. I'd just encourage those in a similar position to go and decide for themselves.
Possibly. But there are people’s opinions, then there’s facts.

Fact: you have to get up at 7am, possibly earlier so you are ready at go time to utilize genie+. For many people this alone is absurd. I can’t think of any other “vacation” where this is the norm.
Fact: now vs pre pandemic- no magic bands, no daily mousekeeping, no character meet and greet, no autographs, no Minnie vans, less options for extra paid experiences like BBB or entertainment dining ie Spirit of Aloha, no ME, no included FP+. No flexibility in modifying or selecting times in genie+ to allow for ADRs or your kids nap schedule etc…
The above mentioned are facts, not based on any one’s opinion or experience. While some experiences such as cleanliness of parks, or professionalism of CMs may vary from person to person the above mentioned does not. And I think a lot of people, including OP are just choosing alternative vacations as a result.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter