New home for Universal Studios' Horror Nights--Maybe

jjcollins

DIS Veteran
Universal Studios' top-drawing annual Halloween Horror Nights might get a new home this fall: Islands of Adventure.

The proposed move being researched by Universal Orlando executives would be part of a major expansion and upgrading of the scare-fest.

"We are looking at a variety of ways to dial up the fear factor," said Susan Lomax, a Universal spokeswoman.

That strategy may include using the larger assembly of thrill rides at the Islands park as part of the Halloween Horror Nights show -- which already includes haunted houses and clouds of faux fog to hide monster-playing actors who leap out at guests.

The possible move is seen by some industry figures as a way to boost Islands of Adventure, where attendance has lagged behind the older and tamer Studios park.

"Islands is a teen-oriented attraction, and the nature of Halloween Horror Nights really speaks to that demographic," said Dennis Speigel, president of International Theme Park Services, a tourism-attraction consulting company in Cincinnati. "I think this could push Islands up a tick on the attendance barometer by bringing in new users who have never seen the park before."

Attendance at Universal Studios fell 10 percent in 2001 to 7.3 million, according to an estimate by Amusement Business magazine. The draw at Islands last year fell 8 percent to 5.5 million.

Not everyone thinks the change would be a good idea. Peter Stapp, a former Universal executive and now an attractions consultant in Orlando, said, "You know the old saying, 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it.' I wouldn't tinker with something so successful."

The success Halloween Horror Nights has already had makes it a major potential growth vehicle, Lomax said. "It's our signature event -- the biggest thing we do all year."

The special nights start after park closing and a separate admission of $48 is charged for out-of-state guests, although Florida residents can get in for less.

Crowds typically number 10,000 to 20,000 a night, sometimes exceeding daily park attendance.

Perhaps the event's most encouraging trend: Attendance remained strong despite the post-Sept. 11 travel slowdown. In fact, fans of Horror Nights seemed undaunted by last fall's terrorism, at least in terms of what they do for fun.

"What we have heard from our guests is, 'Can you make Halloween Horror Nights scarier. Not just a little, but a lot,' " Lomax said.

If Islands is the new site, she said, the entire 110-acre park would be dedicated to the event on evenings when it's scheduled. Currently, only certain portions of Universal Studios are used.

jj.......:eek:

Well the whole of IOA would have to be used!!! This would be a poor decision. There would be no room for a parade, narrow walking paths for scarictures or handling the crowds, and few areas for a good haunted house. Who knows, maybe they'll find a way to pull it off, but I just don't see this as a positive thing.

Originally posted by rocketman23
Well the whole of IOA would have to be used!!! This would be a poor decision. There would be no room for a parade, narrow walking paths for scarictures or handling the crowds, and few areas for a good haunted house. Who knows, maybe they'll find a way to pull it off, but I just don't see this as a positive thing.

what he said!!!!:smooth:

Well, personally I believe it can be done. The seuss area is the only area in question. It just has too much of a "happy" connotation to it, but if it were to be transformed into something along the lines of the Midway Im sure it would turn out just fine. The rest of the park would be great for HHN, no matter if it would be a complete move over or just an expansion. What ever the matter, HHN has become stale. I love Universal and everything apart of it and I will still go to every HHN no matter what they do, but not everybody is like that. i.e., my girlfriend didn't jump once while we were there (and I no its different every time) but still, even my church's youth pastor went with a few of his kids and he even said that it wasn't nearly as scary as it was ten years ago. Pretty said when that happens... I am ready for a new, scary experience (and Universal is more than competent to do so) not a toned-down/censored, softcore version that has surfaced the past few years. I don't think Universal needs to be "politically correct" with decisions like this. One of the biggest keys to Universal's success, was the fact that they rides and shows weren't necessarily politically correct or toned-down for the whole family. That's why I love Universal and I would hate to see the biggest event of the year for them, to grow stale. Sorry for the huge testimony but it had to be said.

What do you think Earl?

Originally posted by rocketman23
Well the whole of IOA would have to be used!!! This would be a poor decision. There would be [...] few areas for a good haunted house.

Well, lessee...there's the old Pandemonium amphitheater. They could close Triceratops and do a haunted jungle. There's the never opened Sneetches ride (the queue area could be used, although it'd be fun to make people walk along the tracks). There're sound stages within hailing distance of Seuss. There're all those secluded walkways and park areas (like behind Discovery Center). They could close a restaurant like Comic Strip Cafe and retrofit it. They could build a haunted house in the empty spaces behind Jurassic Park (maybe elsewhere, too) and open a path to it at night.

It would be a challenge, but if I know designers they just love a challenge.

Speaking of Seuss Landing, I remember a Grinch Halloween special. Maybe Seuss Landing can be a "safe zone" for kids.

All I know is that whatever the location, Bill and Ted's will be really good this year. Moving it from the Wild West may take away some of the fun. Universal Hollywood had Bill and Ted's in the WaterWorld Theater and the show wasn't as fun since the audience was so far away from the action.

Anyways, with Spiderman, Star Wars, Austin Powers, MIB 2, Scooby Doo, Scorpion King, Blade 2, etc. all coming out this summer there's alot of material to work with.

Does anybody have a tape of last year's show? I would definitely love to see that again.

Keeping HHN at the Studios may be better for the event in the long run. Knott's Scary farm has set a tradition and faithful fan base with their event because people have learned to associate their themepark with Halloween fun. Changing to IOA means starting all over again. Instead of a complete change of scenery, why not just keep coming back every year with fresh and dramatic improvements.

I keep hearing this rumor, though I'm not so sure how much a rumor it is anymore since we now apparantly have quotes from some uni execs....and some managers of mine are now saying that it is likely to make the move.

It is possible to do, even the parade. There was indeed a parade for the Millenium Celebration in IOA, so the walkways are not that narrow. There are the previously mentioned que lines and hidden areas, the stages and the very same sound stages used currently for HHN some fences away....IT is feasible.

I just don't want to see it happen. I love the atmosphere of HHN at the studios...I don't think it could be duplicated at IOA...I certainly hope Mrs. Geisel and Marvel refuse to lend their approval.

They could always do the Parade from the One Fish Two Fish Gate to the Gate between Cafe 4 and Storm Force. There's enough room there. Both Sinbad and Pandemonium theatres will probably be used. Jurassic Park and Lost Continent would be great Islands to do up for HHN. The only problem I see is usuing the sound stages. There's a heavily traveled road and a large chain link fence between IOA and the Sound stages. I don't know how that could work....I think it could work and be sucessful but there are a few problems with it...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter