New Items 5-04

Status
Not open for further replies.
Goofy_Bob, I had said in an earlier post they should release 3 corresponding prince costumes to even out the dresses, I totally forgot about the pink superhero outfit (namely because I have never once worn it or the green one, haha), but yeah, they should've had a male version of that one too. I thought if they released 3 princely outfits, it would be even; now I remember it would have to be four. That is all I was saying. I could see why they don't let boys wear dresses in the game, but my point is things like hats aside from tiaras/crowns do not really need to be gender specific, and all other outfits should be made so both genders can wear them. The whole thing is silly to me.

See tea said it best in that VMK is propagating gender bias. Yes, life is full of discrimination and bias and prejudice, and we all have to be prepared for that. But I don't see why VMK should contribute to the problem. I guess I also take a very passionate view about this because of my career/my grad school. As a counselor, we're required ethically to stand up and say something when something is not fair to a specific population of people. The way VMK handles outfits is not fair, from both of these hats being gender specific, to the boys not having prince outfits, to there only being a female cheerleader outfit when boys are cheerleaders too. Myself and colleagues are working on an entire career program centered around gender bias, in hopes one day grant money can be had with it and it can actually be implemented. So knowing all the work we put into that and that VMK turns around and further promotes stereotypes to the same kids who would be benefiting from our program, really frustrates me. Career is not the same as fashion, but it's the same mentality behind it that certain people should be certain ways and that's that. :sad2:

i think because in the days when there were pirates the pirates were only seen in the pirate hat with a bird on it a very rarely seen on girls.. and if you think the bandana was only really worn by girl there for i think they are just trying to make it more real

See tea said it best in that VMK is propagating gender bias. Yes, life is full of discrimination and bias and prejudice, and we all have to be prepared for that. But I don't see why VMK should contribute to the problem. I guess I also take a very passionate view about this...

I agree with you. :goodvibes It reminds me of what McDonald's does (haven't been there in a really long time but I'm assuming they still do it)...instead of asking which toy your child would prefer in their Happy Meal, they ask if you have a boy or a girl. I've gotten into some annoying talk with some McD workers who would not give me the toy unless I told them specifically girl or boy. Arg, I won't go into it, but all I will say is that my girl loves cars just as much as boys do, and she should have a right to choose it. :goodvibes

I agree with you. :goodvibes It reminds me of what McDonald's does (haven't been there in a really long time but I'm assuming they still do it)...instead of asking which toy your child would prefer in their Happy Meal, they ask if you have a boy or a girl. I've gotten into some annoying talk with some McD workers who would not give me the toy unless I told them specifically girl or boy. Arg, I won't go into it, but all I will say is that my girl loves cars just as much as boys do, and she should have a right to choose it. :goodvibes

Lol dealt with that before with McD's. Lucky most of them it seems don't really care if the kid you have is a boy or girl, but they really should change how the toys are presented

Pirates in real life didn't have pets. Months out to sea with little fresh food, a bird or other pet wouldn't have lasted long. Many times human prisoners or even pirate crew were eaten when the food supplies run out on the high seas. Even honest seamen accepted that fact that someday they *might* have to be food for their shipmates. It was called "Eating long pig". In the true story of the ship that later became the book “Moby Dick” a good many of the real crew were eaten by their crewmates when lost at sea for many many months. A bird had no chance at all. :scared:

Three-cornered hats were common for both men and women to wear in that time period. Few women dressed as men as it was considered immoral. In many countries there was laws against cross-dressing. Certainly no upper class woman would have done it. While "pirates" might be fun to play in this day and age, back in that time period they truly were people to be feared: criminals, murderers, rapist, blackmailers, etc.

Well...jsut checked back in adn still see that you all are still talking about the boy girl thing and how the piarte hat should be for both! So I again would say if your taking time to write your thoughts here...then plz take the time to write the "Contact Us" oon the vmk home page! Maybe if they got all these same ones ...they might hear what you are all saying!!

And no I haven't gotten any response back yet?? But hey...we can always hope...it is Disney where dreams come true!!

I don't understand why they made the hat...this particular hat for boys only..it don't mkae any sense since this same hat without the parrot is avaible to both?? And that it says it unisex in the trade window...but you can't trade it to other sex? None of it make any sense?

And I agree it would make it so easy for all if they made all costumes for all to wear? I also think the boys should have a Prince costume ...I think 3 different more would mkae it even?

I also would like to say I mean disrect to anyone or meanness or try to hurt anyone's feelings as we are talking or debating this
Just putting my two cents in...or two credits worth!! lol

I have a boy character but I want my girl character to have the hat (my boy character and my girl character are not the same, even if i like to play with my boy character, I have nada friends on it, nada magic, ..)

That is just the fact that we have the magic that can turn us into a pirate with the hat with the parrot and then they released the hat only for boys, for me it make no sense .. Then the magic should for boys only .. (I am not going to wear myself with clothes from the man departement so I dont see why I should stop playing with my girl character to go to a boy character just for a hat that should not be only for boys, ok, I am going to write to VMK:rolleyes1 )

...instead of asking which toy your child would prefer in their Happy Meal, they ask if you have a boy or a girl. I've gotten into some annoying talk with some McD workers who would not give me the toy unless I told them specifically girl or boy. ...

Oh wow! I thought I was the only one that has entered into that discussion with a McD employee! :rotfl:

Well Gnome I do not understand why tiy can not get pink suit to to match yoou gnome hat. I do not understand vmk don't they know real gnomes wear PINK:lmao:

Someone wrote me and said, "Ricks, you should post on this thread. You're a voice of reason. You need to contribute."

So... as a voice of reason, I say....

Those on one side of this debate are being reasonable...

...and the other side are not.

But seriously folks, this thread reminds me of why I don't post on DIS anymore. Rants, rants, rants. And crying?? No. Enough already. Believe me, I was disappointed that my boy character couldn't wear the bandana, cause you know I'm all about the hatwear, baby!

But then I got over it. Join me, won't you? Maybe you could be the first to start the thread "How I got over the parrot and started living virtually again." 12-step program, here we come!

Or.... you could keep ranting. There's talk of a ride competition coming soon. Ahhh.... more to complain about. Mmmmm.

So, now, I'm going back into another five-month hibernation. If you want me, I'll be at the rant-free VMK board.

Ricks (who now will never be known as the voice of reason again... thank you, thank you... hugs and kisses to you all... mwah!)

What I don't understand is why there needs to be any judgment on people who dislike what's happening? Why aren't we allowed to have a different opinion? Why are we being called unreasonable, etc? We don't like it, we vent about it. People vent about things, that's life. We're not attacking anyone, and mods have said in the past that we can vent about our frustrations with VMK so long as it doesn't cross into personal attacks. And that's what we've done. I can totally respect that people disagree with some of us and think the whole hat thing is fine. Great! That's your opinion on it. However, I'm growing VERY weary of the subtle put-downs towards those who happen to feel differently.

What I don't understand is why there needs to be any judgment on people who dislike what's happening? Why aren't we allowed to have a different opinion? Why are we being called unreasonable, etc? We don't like it, we vent about it. People vent about things, that's life. We're not attacking anyone, and mods have said in the past that we can vent about our frustrations with VMK so long as it doesn't cross into personal attacks. And that's what we've done. I can totally respect that people disagree with some of us and think the whole hat thing is fine. Great! That's your opinion on it. However, I'm growing VERY weary of the subtle put-downs towards those who happen to feel differently.
Precisely! Someone just decided to rant about the ranting! I think that qualifies as a rant. Is said person unreasonable to be ranting about the ranting? I don't think so... but calling those who rant unreasonable while ranting oneself is unreasonable, but I'm ranting. ;)

If you understand what I just wrote you are a better person than I am. :rotfl: It made sense while I was typing...

But seriously folks, this thread reminds me of why I don't post on DIS anymore. Rants, rants, rants. And crying?? No. Enough already. Believe me, I was disappointed that my boy character couldn't wear the bandana, cause you know I'm all about the hatwear, baby!

But then I got over it. Join me, won't you? Maybe you could be the first to start the thread "How I got over the parrot and started living virtually again." 12-step program, here we come!

Or.... you could keep ranting. There's talk of a ride competition coming soon. Ahhh.... more to complain about. Mmmmm.

Sorry Ricks, but we encourage open discussions. As long as posters stay civil toward one another, spirited exchanges are more than welcome!
We do not believe in censorship, and open discussions about various issues is encouraged. When participating in a thread, we ask that everyone be treated with respect and that our guidelines be followed

So, now, I'm going back into another five-month hibernation. If you want me, I'll be at the rant-free VMK board.

Ricks (who now will never be known as the voice of reason again... thank you, thank you... hugs and kisses to you all... mwah!)

Glad you found a place that you enjoy.

Sorry Ricks, but we encourage open discussions. As long as posters stay civil toward one another, spirited exchanges are more than welcome!
Provoking mods will always make me retort.

So, in my post, I tried to encourage people not to complain, but to enjoy a FREE game to its fullest, and I'm accused of supporting censorship and of being hypocritical. Super. That's just great.

"Spirited discussions" CAN be enjoyable. But that's not what has happened on this thread.

Back on topic: It's time to get over the parrot. You know you will eventually. You can thank me later.

Ricks (who will set an example and get over this thread and this hijacked board)

"Spirited discussions" CAN be enjoyable. But that's not what has happened on this thread.

Exactly! Spirited discussions can be FUN, but this thread has digressed far from that. We know you're unhappy, people! You've complained over and over and over. We get it! :thumbsup2 We "got it" a while ago. It's now time to move on. However, anytime someone posts on here and tries to encourage you to do just that, you jump all over them and the whining starts up again. Over what? You already have the same exact hat in your inventory minus a few green pixels. :confused3

Like I said before, if it upsets you that much that you can't have THAT hat, make a boy character and wear it to your dying day. Or leave VMK completely if not being able to have that hat in your inventory is going to make you such a miserable person.

I think the point is totally being missed by some and since this is just causing anxiety and distention I think this discussion is better off closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter