New (Made-Up) Position -- WDW VP of Guest Comfort --- WWYD?

I have some questions about your improvements. If you added fridges and coffee makers to all resorts, would you then increase the cost of those resorts to pay for them? Ditto with the shaded waiting areas for all busses. If you have those things, you are pretty much making the Value resorts over into Moderate resorts. Would you just do away with the Value class of resort, or what kind of resort would you have for those who do not feel the need to pay for extras life a fridge or shaded bus stop?:confused3
I remember when the moderates did not have fridges or coffee makers. Adding them to POR did not make it into deluxe resort and did not increase the price of the room :laughing:. Fridges and coffee makers do not make a moderate resort. You get so much more when you book a moderate over a value resort.

You get:
* a better pool with a slide and a hot tub
* bigger rooms
* nicer furnishings
* ceiling fans
* bigger bathrooms
* lusher landscaping and a theme that does not include giant icons
* access to a TS restaurant
* bus stops and parking that is close to your room
* bus stops closer to the park
* queen-sized beds at CSR

I'm sure I missed something, but that was off the top of my head.

I don't think an off-site hotel compares with a Disney one, even if ithe off-site resort comes with a coffee pot and refrigerator.
You're right, some are much better :rotfl:. I do prefer Disney resorts over the offsite variety when I am staying at WDW but that is mostly because I enjoy being immersed in the "Disney magic". My point is that the vast majority of tourist class hotels have free coffee makers, free internet and free a refrigerator. The reason why Disney does not in some of their resorts is simple: because they can charge extra for it instead and people will still flock to stay in an overblown Motel 6 from the 1990's. Don't get me wrong, I happen to love the Value resorts. It just feels wrong to me that Disney should nickle and dime people "because they can" for things that have become standard in the hotel industry.

ETA: And that is why, as VP of Guest Comfort, I would bring the Value Resorts out of the 90's and straight into the 21st century!

I remember when the moderates did not have fridges or coffee makers. Adding them to POR did not make it into deluxe resort and did not increase the price of the room :laughing:. Fridges and coffee makers do not make a moderate resort. You get so much more when you book a moderate over a value resort.

You get:
* a better pool with a slide and a hot tub
* bigger rooms
* nicer furnishings
* ceiling fans
* bigger bathrooms
* lusher landscaping and a theme that does not include giant icons
* access to a TS restaurant
* bus stops and parking that is close to your room
* bus stops closer to the park
* queen-sized beds at CSR

Fwiw, my 9yr old niece thought the rooms at POR seemed smaller than the ones at the Value resorts, so the rooms are not noticably bigger. You can be closer to a bus stop at a Value than at a Moderate, so that is not really a perk of a Moderate resort either. POFQ does not have a restaurant, you have to walk 15 minutes to get to the closest one. So you are saying you would charge people around an extra $60 or more a night to look at trees and have a pool slide. I don't think that would entice many people to pay for a Moderate.

I'm not saying you can't put refrigerators in all resorts. Or shade all of the bus stops. But I think you would have to then go thru and "Plus" the Moderate and Delxue resorts to make people willing to pay the price difference between the 2 levels.

Declansdad, that was exactly my point. Disney charges what they do because their resorts are on Disney property. A lot of what you pay for the resorts is because of that simple fact. No off-site resort can boast being within walking distance of the Magic Kingdom. To me, comparing off-site to on-site is not apples to apples, because of that fact.

I know this is all in fun, but I am always curious at to how people think they can make their wishes work.

My ideas would include:

* Free wi-fi throughout WDW resorts. Times are changing, and more people bring computers with them everywhere that they go than many imagine - especially the younger generation.

* Random upgrade for every reservation. Could be anything from a room or dining plan upgrade to a free photographer session. This is something that could be done at almost no additional cost to WDW, but it would pay huge dividends.

* In room movie rentals (like On Demand, but for Disney movies and/or movies still in theatres). I am not sure why WDW has not implemented this. They rent DVDs. Why not make it easier?

* I would build a grocery store in DTD. Make it easier for your guests, who are going to the stores just off property now.

Declansdad, that was exactly my point. Disney charges what they do because their resorts are on Disney property. A lot of what you pay for the resorts is because of that simple fact. No off-site resort can boast being within walking distance of the Magic Kingdom. To me, comparing off-site to on-site is not apples to apples, because of that fact.

On the proximity point, I agree with you; however, there is no reason that the in-room amenities cannot be compared between the two.

I agree with free WIFI in rooms.
I've always found it weird that breakfast wasn't included, it is in Disneyland Paris.
Also in Paris they have a moving walkway from the parkinglot to the parks. I've never used it, simply because I don't mind to walk.
The kids menu's really need to be changed, we're going for 18 days this time, and I'm 100% sure that my kids will be sick and tired of the kids options.
Buses from the parks to DTD, makes it easier to eat something there or go shopping directly after a day in the parks

Fwiw, my 9yr old niece thought the rooms at POR seemed smaller than the ones at the Value resorts, so the rooms are not noticably bigger. You can be closer to a bus stop at a Value than at a Moderate, so that is not really a perk of a Moderate resort either. POFQ does not have a restaurant, you have to walk 15 minutes to get to the closest one.

The facts are that POR/POFQ& CSR are all 54 square feet bigger than a value. CBR is bigger still ... 80 square feet bigger. Multiple bus stops at the moderate makes for closer bus stops for more people than just the ones who are paying for a "preferred view" close to the food court at the values. And you can still walk to POFQ to eat at the restaurant and there is nothing but food courts within walking distance at the values (which is why I used the word "access" to describe the difference).

So you are saying you would charge people around an extra $60 or more a night to look at trees and have a pool slide. I don't think that would entice many people to pay for a Moderate.
Yes. I think that's what the vast majority of people pay extra for at a moderate resort: the better pool and the landscaping along with the bigger rooms and nicer furnishings.

I'm not saying you can't put refrigerators in all resorts. Or shade all of the bus stops. But I think you would have to then go thru and "Plus" the Moderate and Delxue resorts to make people willing to pay the price difference between the 2 levels.
You do have a good point because people want to feel like they are getting more when they are paying more. However, I don't think that a coffee maker or a refrigerators are "Plus" features in the hotel industry any longer. They are found in virtually every hotel from the cheapest to the most expensive. I spent over 50 nights in hotels last year and cannot remember the last non-Disney hotel I stayed in without a fridge and coffee maker. Lastly, having shade a "Plus" feature and making someone stand out in the hot sun for the bus just because they didn't pay enough seems kinda mean and something that a VP of Guest Comfort would want to rectify :).

I know this is all in fun, but I am always curious at to how people think they can make their wishes work.
:hippie:

Disney charges what they do because their resorts are on Disney property. A lot of what you pay for the resorts is because of that simple fact. No off-site resort can boast being within walking distance of the Magic Kingdom. To me, comparing off-site to on-site is not apples to apples, because of that fact.

No Value resort is within walking distance of MK either, so you point is moot. The Pop is about 15 min or so bus ride from MK. We've stayed off site and onsite, and the distance, or rather the door-to-gate travel time, was almost exactly the same at Pop as at a much cheaper, much more comfortable 4 star hotel. You don't think Disney needs to compete with off site hotels, but I think you're thinking like the kind of person who spends hours on a disney board, not like an average person. Magic Express, busses and "immersion in magic" aren't enough to make up for lack of amenities and comfort at 20% higher cost. We cancelled our off site reservations and stayed at the Pop this year becuase of free dining making it a better deal for us.

As VP of comfort, there'd be wifi, shaded bus stops and fridges at every resort becuase those are very basic amenities. I'd add the opportunity to upgrade for a discounted rate at the check in desk (like, welcome to WDW, for $200 for the week you can upgrade to XYZ moderate) based on availability. A win win, maybe I couldn't afford to upgrade at rack rate, and Disney would be selling unused rooms.

I'd also revamp some of the counter service options. The desserts, fries and bacon all sucked. Those burger buns were pretty dry and yucky too.

Fwiw, my 9yr old niece thought the rooms at POR seemed smaller than the ones at the Value resorts, so the rooms are not noticably bigger. You can be closer to a bus stop at a Value than at a Moderate, so that is not really a perk of a Moderate resort either. POFQ does not have a restaurant, you have to walk 15 minutes to get to the closest one. So you are saying you would charge people around an extra $60 or more a night to look at trees and have a pool slide. I don't think that would entice many people to pay for a Moderate.

The set of amenities is what makes hotel *s. However in Disney resorts it is more about accessibility to parks and looks. I personally do not care about fridge in the room, but I do care about how resort looks. Sorry but POP almost made me cry. So basic, no trees(not much), no shade. Yes pool is cute but not even close to moderate pools, and I love to have a hottub. Bigger room is also a huge plus. We take a rollaway bed and to place it in value I have to move table and chairs and block bathroom access, in moderate it perfectly fits next to window. So yes, I would pay more for all those extras. Also moderates will never come close to Deluxe, no matter how many extras you place in the room. Access to parks, tons of restaurants, entertainment in a lobby where you can literally sit and enjoy your evening, much bigger rooms, balconies, all of that is what makes people pay more and if I could afford it, I would stay there as well.

The set of amenities is what makes hotel *s. However in Disney resorts it is more about accessibility to parks and looks. I personally do not care about fridge in the room, but I do care about how resort looks. Sorry but POP almost made me cry. So basic, no trees(not much), no shade. Yes pool is cute but not even close to moderate pools, and I love to have a hottub. Bigger room is also a huge plus. We take a rollaway bed and to place it in value I have to move table and chairs and block bathroom access, in moderate it perfectly fits next to window. So yes, I would pay more for all those extras. Also moderates will never come close to Deluxe, no matter how many extras you place in the room. Access to parks, tons of restaurants, entertainment in a lobby where you can literally sit and enjoy your evening, much bigger rooms, balconies, all of that is what makes people pay more and if I could afford it, I would stay there as well.

I don't agree with the comments about Pop. I thought Pop was a very cool resort. And the pools were just as good or better than the pools at POFQ, POR, or the small pools at CBR.

I don't agree with the comments about Pop. I thought Pop was a very cool resort. And the pools were just as good or better than the pools at POFQ, POR, or the small pools at CBR.

It maybe cool to walk to your room and to bus and see all the huge statues on your way but when it comes to relaxing for a day, POP is nothing to comare to moderates. Also you are right quiet pools are pretty simple and seclude but main pools 2 heads above value, plus slide.

Just want to agree with these suggestions

1. Fastpass for Fantasmic!
2. More child dining entrees
3. Free Wi-Fi (at least at Deluxe or at a minimum the CR. Doesn't it defy it's theme to not have free Wi-Fi?)
4. Monorail to DHS and AK
5. Add monorail from Beach/Yacht Club/Boardwalk to MK.

It maybe cool to walk to your room and to bus and see all the huge statues on your way but when it comes to relaxing for a day, POP is nothing to comare to moderates. Also you are right quiet pools are pretty simple and seclude but main pools 2 heads above value, plus slide.

Relaxing is what you make not the surroundings. Also the pool at POFQ was nothing fantastic and many people stopped on the slide. CBR was under construction when we were there but it did look cool.

Relaxing is what you make not the surroundings. Also the pool at POFQ was nothing fantastic and many people stopped on the slide. CBR was under construction when we were there but it did look cool.

Seriously, so if I want to find a secluded, shaded spot to read a book, how can I do it at POP or if I like to rent a little boat or ride a bike can I do it at POP and what exactly can I do there execpt riding elevator? I never stayed at POR/POFQ but CBR and CSR are so much better then value.

DH thinks the television channel options need to be better. Not sure exactly what he wants, but we are usually there in the fall and he can't always see the football or baseball playoff game he wants in the room.

How about selling popcorn in the food courts at the resorts?

DH thinks the television channel options need to be better. Not sure exactly what he wants, but we are usually there in the fall and he can't always see the football or baseball playoff game he wants in the room.

How about selling popcorn in the food courts at the resorts?

My father is exactly like your DH, he needs his sports and this is basically why he refuses to go with us.

Seriously, so if I want to find a secluded, shaded spot to read a book, how can I do it at POP or if I like to rent a little boat or ride a bike can I do it at POP and what exactly can I do there execpt riding elevator? I never stayed at POR/POFQ but CBR and CSR are so much better then value.

Not everyone needs a secluded, shaded spot to read a book; but if you want a quiet spot at Pop, try along the lake or on the bridge. Every resort has its own unique characteristics that make them great places to stay. People just need to open their minds and forget the labels.

I think I would put nicer refidgerators in the rooms. Not necessarily a full size, but something better than the dorm room fridges. One with a freezer so you can freeze water bottles. I would also do something about the water quality at the water fountains, especially at MK. The water there is gross.

It doesn't really apply to me, but I would also do something to make WDW resorts more friendly to larger families.

Not everyone needs a secluded, shaded spot to read a book; but if you want a quiet spot at Pop, try along the lake or on the bridge. Every resort has its own unique characteristics that make them great places to stay. People just need to open their minds and forget the labels.

What labels have to do with hotel *s, you can have your mind as open as you want but you get what you paid for, room, bus, pool, food court, nothing else, not even trees. You can enjoy watching birds along the lake, not that you can sit there and you can make your own fun, like counting red cars on a parking lot, since hotel provides none. The only good thing about value is access to Disney transportation and price.

Exactly. These beauties (cranes, maybe Sandhilll Cranes?) do not hang out where it is loud and noisy. I took this photo on the back path of Pop Century. You can see the bridge to the unfinished side of resort behind them.

PopCranes1.jpg

BTW, these guys are 4-5 feet tall.

What labels have to do with hotel *s, you can have your mind as open as you want but you get what you paid for, room, bus, pool, food court, nothing else, not even trees. You can enjoy watching birds along the lake, not that you can sit there and you can make your own fun, like counting red cars on a parking lot, since hotel provides none. The only good thing about value is access to Disney transportation and price.

I'm not sure where you go the impression that the Value resorts are all parking lots with no landscaping, but you are wrong. There are plenty of trees and shade areas at the Value resorts, they are not just big cement buildings plunked down in the middle of a parking lot.

I also thing Value resorts have many good qualities. The food courts are the best on property, imho. Plus the Value resorts have a fun, peppy atmosphere that I don't feel at the Moderate or Deluxe resorts.

Sometimes people don't want anything from a resort except a place to eat, and a place to sleep. Why not have something with fewer extras that is on the cheaper side of the scale?:confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter