New policy for reservations based on check IN date

Status
Not open for further replies.
I GOT IT! I was really nervous about it after reading the earlier posts for December. I think the thing that helped me was the folks who were probably waitlisted for the entire week because they had holes earlier in the week. I don't usually go in December, but this reservation is my post-cruise stay with our BFF. Now I get to call next week for my August trip. Then I'll be done booking all of my 2009 trips....whew!
Great, glad it worked out.

I just booked a Thurs- Tues checkout for a 2 Br for Oct this week at AKV's. Way within the 9 month window. We could not decide on our dates so I was not going to tie up dated that I didn't need. Congrats to all that are getting their dates.

Well, but a big "L" on my forehead and call me "Loser". I am on the waitlist for a AKV concierge studio from 12/20 - 12/23.

I admit that it is mostly my own fault. I considered "walking" the reservation but was at a swim meet all weekend and didn't get around to calling. I tried at call at 9:00 am exactly 11 months from my check-in date on Monday 1/19 but it was MLK Day and MS had the day off. I got caught up in the inauguration yesterday and simply spaced out calling until MS was closed. So, I called today as soon as MS was open. I was able to book Saturday 12/19 but was put on the waitlist for 12/20 - 12/23.

One thing to note ... if you were calling today at the 11 month window for a 12/21 check-in all AKV concierge studios were already fully booked when I called at 9:01 am. If you planned on calling TOMORROW for an AKV concierge studio checking in on 12/22 you are already SOL. They are all gone before you have a chance to call. This is exactly what I thought would happen.

Well, but a big "L" on my forehead and call me "Loser". I am on the waitlist for a AKV concierge studio from 12/20 - 12/23.

I admit that it is mostly my own fault. I considered "walking" the reservation but was at a swim meet all weekend and didn't get around to calling. I tried at call at 9:00 am exactly 11 months from my check-in date on Monday 1/19 but it was MLK Day and MS had the day off. I got caught up in the inauguration yesterday and simply spaced out calling until MS was closed. So, I called today as soon as MS was open. I was able to book Saturday 12/19 but was put on the waitlist for 12/20 - 12/23.

One thing to note ... if you were calling today at the 11 month window for a 12/21 check-in all AKV concierge studios were already fully booked when I called at 9:01 am. If you planned on calling TOMORROW for an AKV concierge studio checking in on 12/22 you are already SOL. They are all gone before you have a chance to call. This is exactly what I thought would happen.

If you don't get it don't feel that bad. We stayes AKV concierge and it was the absolute worst experiance we ever had staying at WDW. (and we used to stay at the POP) We swore we would not ever do concierge again. We spent the first 3 days in a studio SV room then moved up to concierge for the other 10 and the first 3 days everything was wonderful. Then we moved up to concierge and it all went downhill from there. Never ever again. But the good news in there will be less of a wait to get into concierge rooms because we won't be booking. So just to make you feel better if you don't get it don't worry you aren't missing anything! And I am one of those people that love everything Disney and I love the resort but this trip coming up we are booked into just a reg SV 1 Bedroom and we are looking forward to it. On that not I still wish you luck to get whatever you would like.:)

Whenever demand exceeds supply SOMEONE is going to lose. And it will be most evident for a small category like the AKV Concierge. Even under the old system people would have been denied what they were seeking. We can all be arrogant and think "*I* would have gotten thru in time", but that's just not true when rooms are booked 11+ mos ahead of time.

If we were still under a day-by-day system, there would be people who were unable to book their entire multi-day trip in AKV Concierge due to high demand. They might get the first day or two but booking a trip of 6-7 days would be a virtual impossibility given the necessity to be on the phone exactly at 9am for up to a week. Everyone has their own definition of what is "fair", but I think there is a lot to be said for guaranteeing an entire stay in a single phone call rather than subjecting people to day-by-day roulette.

Between the extremely high success reports under the new system (much higher than even I though it would be), the hundreds (thousands?) of day-by-day calls eliminated and the guarantee of securing an entire trip in a single call, I still think the changes were warranted.

If you don't get it don't feel that bad. We stayes AKV concierge and it was the absolute worst experiance we ever had staying at WDW. (and we used to stay at the POP) We swore we would not ever do concierge again. We spent the first 3 days in a studio SV room then moved up to concierge for the other 10 and the first 3 days everything was wonderful. Then we moved up to concierge and it all went downhill form there. Never ever again.
I'm sorry you had a bad experience with AKV concierge. We stayed there in December 2007 and had a great experience.

Whenever demand exceeds supply SOMEONE is going to lose.
I know, but under the old system it was not me! I was willing and able to call day-by-day at 9:00 am and always got what I wanted.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience with AKV concierge. We stayed there in December 2007 and had a great experience.

I know, but under the old system it was not me! I was willing and able to call day-by-day at 9:00 am and always got what I wanted.

Glad to hear your experiance was great. Although we talked to others that were disappointed there as well. The staff always seemed to blame it on DVC being there now and they were not used to the system yet and this was the end of 2008. When we did not walk our reservation we still did get the concierge level but like I mentioned before we just did not get our first 3 days so maybe you will be able to get it in the end at least for part of your trip. Good luck to you!

I have tried going back in the thread to find the answer to this one but haven't had much luck finding the right window of posts so I hope you don't mind helping a fellow DVC DISer out! :goodvibes

Can anyone tell me how booking for Thanksgiving week 2009 went under the new system? Looks like we are going to try and celebrate my 40th at WDW in 2010 and it falls on the day before Thanksgiving. We will want to stay from the previous Sunday through Saturday and we own at BCV ... any thoughts on how difficult it will be to get a 2BR at the 11 month mark?

All thoughts and opinions are greatly appreciated!

Whenever demand exceeds supply SOMEONE is going to lose. And it will be most evident for a small category like the AKV Concierge. Even under the old system people would have been denied what they were seeking. We can all be arrogant and think "*I* would have gotten thru in time", but that's just not true when rooms are booked 11+ mos ahead of time.

If we were still under a day-by-day system, there would be people who were unable to book their entire multi-day trip in AKV Concierge due to high demand. They might get the first day or two but booking a trip of 6-7 days would be a virtual impossibility given the necessity to be on the phone exactly at 9am for up to a week. Everyone has their own definition of what is "fair", but I think there is a lot to be said for guaranteeing an entire stay in a single phone call rather than subjecting people to day-by-day roulette.

Between the extremely high success reports under the new system (much higher than even I though it would be), the hundreds (thousands?) of day-by-day calls eliminated and the guarantee of securing an entire trip in a single call, I still think the changes were warranted.

I disagree wholeheartedly. To be shut out of a reservation before your window even opens is just plain WRONG. Everyone had an equal shot under the old system. No one was shut out before the 11 month window for that day opened up.

I disagree wholeheartedly. To be shut out of a reservation before your window even opens is just plain WRONG. Everyone had an equal shot under the old system. No one was shut out before the 11 month window for that day opened up.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. I've let MS (Member Satisfaction) know many times. They apparently have gotten more favorable responses regarding this new policy or they just don't care. For me...they have told me to call MS if I ever get shut out on my first day of possible calls. What will happen if I call them, I don't know, but I have the number noted. I have not tried to book anything that is considered hard to get since the new system has been implemented.

Bobbi:goodvibes

I think she meant Member Satisfaction in this case which unfortunately has the same acronym as Member Services.

THANK YOU, LisaS!!!!Yes, Member Satisfaction gave me a name to ask for if I get shut out. As I said, I cannot imagine how that would help...we all could call when/if we're shut out!!!!

THANK YOU, LisaS!!!!Yes, Member Satisfaction gave me a name to ask for if I get shut out. As I said, I cannot imagine how that would help...we all could call when/if we're shut out!!!!

I was kind of surprised by MSat encouraging people to call if they were shut out since it's not clear that they can do anything about it. The only reason I can think of is just so they can keep track of how many members are being negatively affected by this change to the booking policy.

My guess: Member Services has been trained to say that to get folks off the phone so that they can move on to the next person in line rather than have an extended "service recovery" conversation with the guest in the moment.

It's not wrong, it's just different. Someone will win and someone will lose. Those units not available went to another member who also called ahead. Everyone had the same opportunity at a given reservation it's just that that opportunity might vary today compare to yesterday. Under the old system concierge was the one where some got some days and others got other days then played a game of chicken to see who gave up first.

My guess: Member Services has been trained to say that to get folks off the phone so that they can move on to the next person in line rather than have an extended "service recovery" conversation with the guest in the moment.

It is not member services that says this. I have spoken to Member Satisfaction at least 3 times about the new way of booking. I am not happy with it. It was after one of these conversations that I got a phone call from another person in Mem. Sat. who gave me her number to call if I ever got blocked out of something at 11 months for something that I had gotten previously by calling day by day.

It is not member services that says this. I have spoken to Member Satisfaction at least 3 times about the new way of booking. I am not happy with it. It was after one of these conversations that I got a phone call from another person in Mem. Sat. who gave me her number to call if I ever got blocked out of something at 11 months for something that I had gotten previously by calling day by day.

Yes, I was given that information too. I kept the Satisfaction member's named and number, but thankfully, didn't have to use it when I booked CL this last time. You better believe I'm going to keep it handy though!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter