New poster on the board

Penelope

Earning My Ears
Well this is a first for me. I have been visiting the DISboard for some time now and of course I have found the "Canadian Visitors" board to be one of my favorite place to visit and the ideal forum to ask this particular question.
I have purchased several pins from the Disney Store here in Ottawa for trading with CMs at WDW this Oct. It is my understanding that they can be traded with CMs and figured it will be an excellent way to save a buck or two. Has anyone purchased the pins for trading in WDW? I was also wondering if anyone has had the opportunity to do any pin trading with CMs and if they had any difficulty with trading the (Canadian) Disney Store pins with WDW CMs in Florida?:D

Hi Penelope!

Welcome to DIS :) That's my sister's name too *lol*...

I bought a bunch of DS pins to trade on my trip in May. I didn't run into any problems trading. All of the CMs were really nice about it. I did notice that most of the pins they had were also DS pins so if you don't want any of those, you've got to keep your eye out. There is also a possibility that they might have one of your pins, in which case you can't trade that particular one. That said... I only took three pins with me a day and never had a problem with duplicates or finding someone with pins that I wanted to trade with :)

There was only one CM who said anything about my pins ... he said "Oh, a DS pin. I've been getting lots of those lately." ... I noticed on his name tag he was from Canada so I made a joke about our low exchange rate and he laughed :)

Hope that helps ya out!

Penelope - welcome onto the boards! I've heard that as long as the back of the Pin has some sort of wording that states "disney", there is no problem exchanging pins. I think a cast member wearing a lanyard "has to" exchange with you as long as they don't currently have it as Bunnyfoo stated. Are you staying on site in Oct? Happy planning! Jo

Yeah, you're right, we are a good bunch here!

As for Pin Trading, a few rules to follow.

Always say "Please and Thank you!" On our last trip in April, CM's were starting a new trend whereby they had two lanyards, the black one for adults and a green one for children 11 and under. They will trade as long as it is a Disney Pin whether it is from the Disney Store or from the Parks. They will not trade ones that they have on their shirts etc., they are there to show off and so that everyone can appreciate the nice pin. Also, try and find some "Suits" 'cause they usually have some interesting pins to trade. As long as they don't have the pin you are trading on their lanyard they will trade. You are limited to two trades per CM and sometimes they have the pins placed with the backs facing out, these are known as "mystery pins", sometimes they are LE ones and sometimes they are just regular ones, but it is fun to see which one.

Happy Pin Trading!

Also, they have pin trading nights at some of the resorts. DD likes to go to the Contemporary on Friday nights. They have a special area just for kids and there are a lot of DIS'rs there. It's awesome to see the pins! They also have at the Allstar's and someplace else but don't have my notes. If you go over to the Collectors Board they will be able to tell you. They are a friendly bunch also and very helpful.

Scratch
:smooth:

Many thanks for all the great information! I will check out the collector’s board. DH and me started collecting pins a few years back while visiting Disneyland. Who knew it would become so addictive:p
We will be staying at the ASMu the 3rd week of Oct. We are taking DH’s brother and wife for their first time trip to WDW. It will be loads of fun introducing them to the park. We also take our “furry person” with us (AKA pet pooch). She stays at the Epcot kennel and is treated like a “furry queen.” We visit Indy several times a day for walks and wags. The CMs are very attentive because they normally do not have very many furry guests that time of year. Then after 5 days of playing in the parks we head for the beach for some much needed R&R!

Welcome to the DIS boards Penelope!:wave:

You'll meet so many nice people here and learn so many great tips too!;)

Welcome to the Canadian board Penelope. If you have any other questions, ask!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter