New Rumour Suggests Space Mountain Will Undergo an Extensive Refurbishment

I don't want it smooth, the wild bumpiness is a big part of the thrill.

Exactly. This is why a nearly 50 year old coaster that tops out at only 27 MPH is still thrilling. I love being thrown out of my seat going over the hills and then pulled down again. I'm getting to where I don't enjoy a lot of rough coasters I did when I was a kid, but Space isn't close to being one of them yet. I don't find the DL version very thrilling.

I love thrilling roller coasters. I just don't find physically painful roller coasters thrilling. I'm only 30, I love riding all kinds of rides but Space Mountain at Disney World is one of the only rides that actually causes me physical pain haha.

Many people are commenting about how double-wide vehicles are going to increase capacity but aren't both DL and WDW currently running at the same capacity? DL launches 12 people in a double-wide vehicle and WDW launches on two tracks with 6 people in each vehicle.

No. They did some repair work on the SM track and replaced the cars during a six month refurb in 2009. That refurb was originally rumored? to be a complete track replacement, but either the money wasn't allocated or WDW was concerned about taking SM down for the estimated 2 year replacement time. Especially with the attendance and economic issues at that time.

The previous major refurb to 2009 was in 1999, so SM is due again for a substantial refurb. I think many of us believe that the track replacement is inevitable so it becomes a question of do you just rebuild it as is, or try and construct a new ride inside. It is no surprise that the opening of Tron is tied so closely with the possibility of an extended closure. Though I still believe, barring a major operating issue, SM will remain open during the 50th celebration.

We rode it the last day it was open before that refurb. It was the last time I ever rode it. My husband said it isn't much better since the refurb.

Space Mountain will undergo an extensive refurbishment in 2021 after TRON opens, according to a source I know.

The refurbishment of the E-ticket attraction at Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom will last approximately two years.

This particular source as a terrific track record when it comes to Walt Disney World rumours. Do you think Space Mountain needs a refurbishment? I’d love to know!

It’s a classic.....leave it alone.

I loved Space Mountain at DL & WDW, but the pain I feel from both just doesn't make it worth it. But I'm not sure I'd want it totally re-imaged but I do think at some point they need to make changes to keep it competitive and 'fresh' for the next generation. But I hope they don't even think about closing it down right after Tron opens, they need the ride capacity to badly.

I haven't ridden SM since the mid '00s when the last time it so tweaked my lower back, I was out of the running for the entire rest of the day. Here I was in MK, yet could just hobble around in pain. We eventually had to go back to the room and I just laid on the bed and watched tv. To this day I ride everything else, but do not return to SM out of that memory. My wife and daughter still ride SM and I stand outside getting popcorn and look at the phone cases in the SM gift store.

So any refurbishment, if true, would be welcome to me!

Exactly. This is why a nearly 50 year old coaster that tops out at only 27 MPH is still thrilling. I love being thrown out of my seat going over the hills and then pulled down again. I'm getting to where I don't enjoy a lot of rough coasters I did when I was a kid, but Space isn't close to being one of them yet. I don't find the DL version very thrilling.
And repeatedly has wait times of 90-120 minutes!

Yeah. I don't think it's a one open, one close thing and that's a good comparison. It's why I don't think you will see SM down during the 50th. But SM has to go for a major refurb at some point. Tron doesn't replace SM for that period of time, it simply provides an option that wasn't there the last time.

"Yes, we are sorry that iconic SM is down during your visit, but we did build another thrill ride before doing it." That's about as good as you are going to get in the Theme Park industry.
I was thinking along the same lines here. I don't think they will put too much consideration into the crowds like everyone thinks. It's been a long time since WDW has cared about ridiculously long lines. Also, do the anniversaries really draw that many more people? Locals I can see wanting to go and check it out, but for the rest of us travelers, does an anniversary dictate when you'll plan your trip? For me, money dictates when I go. If I have the money during an anniversary great...if I don't I don't. Besides that, there doesn't seem to be ANY time when WDW isn't celebrating something or another so these milestone anniversaries don't seem like any big deal anymore. I wish they would stop trying to find any petty reason to celebrate so that it didn't dilute the sparkle of the big ones.

I was thinking along the same lines here. I don't think they will put too much consideration into the crowds like everyone thinks. It's been a long time since WDW has cared about ridiculously long lines. Also, do the anniversaries really draw that many more people? Locals I can see wanting to go and check it out, but for the rest of us travelers, does an anniversary dictate when you'll plan your trip? For me, money dictates when I go. If I have the money during an anniversary great...if I don't I don't. Besides that, there doesn't seem to be ANY time when WDW isn't celebrating something or another so these milestone anniversaries don't seem like any big deal anymore. I wish they would stop trying to find any petty reason to celebrate so that it didn't dilute the sparkle of the big ones.

Big thing with the anniversary... is all the new attractions will be online at that point. For those of us that visit regularly, no big deal. But anyone planning a once in a lifetime or once every five of ten years trip.... 2021 would be the target.

Big thing with the anniversary... is all the new attractions will be online at that point. For those of us that visit regularly, no big deal. But anyone planning a once in a lifetime or once every five of ten years trip.... 2021 would be the target.
Yeah I didn't really think of that even though I myself have said I'm not going back till the new stuff is finished. lol

I would love if they re-did the entire track to make it a side-by-side seating coaster vehicle instead of the single-file Matterhorn style vehicles. Wider track = smoother ride. I like Space Mountain at Disneyland better because of this.
NOOOOOOO!!! Leave the same vehicles... I love this version of SM!!! I don't like the DL version of it as much. They should keep the variety...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter