• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

New to Disney Dining Plan!!

Michelle Carter

Disney Mama of 4
Hey everyone! My family and I have been to Disney World 5 times but have never stayed at a Disney Resort and never done a Disney Dining Plan due to financial reasons. This fall my teenage son and I are going just the 2 of us, to Disney World and we are not only staying in a Disney Resort but also have the Disney Quick Service Dining Plan!! I'm so excited for a number of reasons that I won't go into here. LOL Anyway, I have read so many articles, threads, etc. and it's so confusing sometimes. So, I will ask all my questions here and hopefully you all won't be annoyed by answering them since I'm sure you get them all the time.

1) Can you use the quick service dining plan at table service restaurants? Like will they allow you to maybe use 2 credits together instead of one to cover it? For example, we wanted to maybe book a table at the 50's diner or Sci-Fi drive in at Hollywood Studios but it doesn't say it accepts the QSDP.

2) Some meals are fairly large and can easily be shared. Will restaurants allow us to order one and just share it to save credits?

3) Tell me your fave top dollar snacks covered with the snack credit!!!

4) Is it true that I can get any size coffee at Starbucks and it's still just 1 snack credit? Are you even allowed to use your snack credit to pay for it? I need my morning coffee!!! LOL

5) Do I get ALL my food and snack credits starting on the day I check in and on the day I leave too? For example, I arrive the 16th of September around 4PM. We were planning on going to Disney Springs and having dinner that night. The 17th, 18th, 19th, and 20th, we will be at the 4 parks. The 21st, we check out and go home. So do I get credits for all of those days or just the 4 days I'm in the parks?

Thank you in advance!!!!!

1) no, but at a lot of places, including gift shops, you can take one quick service credit and use it as 3 snack credits.
2) yes, for quick service but if you ever decide to do the regular dining plan, you should know that you can at most table service meals as well. I do this a lot and it allows us to get more table service meals in or add a couple of 2 credit meals. The only time you cannot share meals at a table service is at character meals and shows (and some random other meals, like the skillet at Whispering Canyon Cafe as it’s all you care to eat, though the other entrees that are not all you care to eat you could share.
3) carrot cake cookie at trolley car (I think it’s this one...they moved it and I’ve only had it once since it was moved) in HS, anything at Les Halles in France in Epcot, depending on when you are going, the open faces sandwiches from the smiling crocodile In AK (open seasonally, but oh, so good!), the foods at food and wine or any of the other festivals EPCOT has.. those are a few of my favorites I can think of right off the bat.
4) don’t know
5) yes :)

I like to use the snack credits for cupcakes, mickey pretzels and dole whips. I think the dole whip floats are $5.99. I try to find things that are around $5. I think pecos bills is great for sharing, they have large portions. Also flame tree bbq.

Did you book with the Free Dining Deal? If so, you might want to consider upgrading within the deal to the regular DDP plan, to include the Table Service credits for places like Sci-Fi/50s PT you mentioned. I believe for 5 nights for 2 it would be $230($23/pp/per night) which is not bad for 5 sit down meals. I know its still extra money, but just an option to consider. The nice thing on the plan is you can order anything on the menu from burgers to steak, all included in your credit. So you don't have to think about how much your spending each time you eat, and can order your favorites.

You can use any of your credits at DS, resorts, and the parks, starting from check in till midnight on check out day. Credits are per night, so you will have get 5 nights worth, but you can use any number each day that you'd like, so you can for example use 2 QS and 3 snacks first night, then use 3 QS the second day(share 1) and 6 snacks, etc - whatever works best. Then if you have some left over, you can use them your last day at the resort before you leave(like for brft) and/or that day or the night before at a park, you can purchase snacks to bring home(bags of pretzels, candy, themed Rice Krispie treats, etc) - the resort gift shop has some and more in the park shops. Can use for the way home or gifts for people.

We love the Colossal Cinnamon Roll at
Kusafiri Coffee Shop & Bakery at AK. One snack credit and it’s enormous (also shaped like Mickey of course).

1) NO

2) YES

3) The F&W booths at Epcot are typically a great use of snack credits ($$ wise).

4) YES

5) Credits are per night, so if you are staying 5 nights you would have 5 nights worth of credits to use before midnight on your checkout day. You can use them however you want throughout your stay.

5) Do I get ALL my food and snack credits starting on the day I check in and on the day I leave too? For example, I arrive the 16th of September around 4PM. We were planning on going to Disney Springs and having dinner that night. The 17th, 18th, 19th, and 20th, we will be at the 4 parks. The 21st, we check out and go home. So do I get credits for all of those days or just the 4 days I'm in the parks?

It looks like you're staying 5 nights, so with two of you, you will have a total of 20 QS credits and 20 snacks to use from the moment you check in until midnight of the 21st.

Did you book with the Free Dining Deal? If so, you might want to consider upgrading within the deal to the regular DDP plan, to include the Table Service credits for places like Sci-Fi/50s PT you mentioned.

Can I even upgrade my reservation to the DDP instead of quick service if I did the free dining plan? Would I have to switch hotels? I looked online at my plans and there's no longer any links saying I can change my reservations anymore. We are going Sept 16-21

Can I even upgrade my reservation to the DDP instead of quick service if I did the free dining plan? Would I have to switch hotels? I looked online at my plans and there's no longer any links saying I can change my reservations anymore. We are going Sept 16-21

I believe you'll have to call at this point to make the upgrade.

Yes you can use a snack credit for any drink, any size at Starbucks - I'm very much planning on doing this too!

You can and we always do! My DH was treated to the fruity Venti beverages every day and he was thrilled every time he did not need to reach for his wallet. He had me laughing by the end of the trip when he woudl say, "I know, it's paid for!" LOL! My DD, DSIL and I got all kinds of concoctions, with extra shots of espresso because I do not like wimpy coffee.

We love the Colossal Cinnamon Roll at
Kusafiri Coffee Shop & Bakery at AK. One snack credit and it’s enormous (also shaped like Mickey of course).

Oh yes! This is my favorite treat in DAK. We wanted a mac and cheese pulled pork thing but the kiosk that offers it closes if it is raining, and yes, we got rained on a lot!

You can and we always do! My DH was treated to the fruity Venti beverages every day and he was thrilled every time he did not need to reach for his wallet. He had me laughing by the end of the trip when he woudl say, "I know, it's paid for!" LOL! My DD, DSIL and I got all kinds of concoctions, with extra shots of espresso because I do not like wimpy coffee.

Oh yes! This is my favorite treat in DAK. We wanted a mac and cheese pulled pork thing but the kiosk that offers it closes if it is raining, and yes, we got rained on a lot!

First, thank you!! I will be needing my Starbucks every morning. LOL

Secondly, that Mac and cheese is exactly one of the snacks we have on our list to try. So it’s good to know it’s one that doesn’t stay open in the rain!

That’s what I figured. I think I’ll just stick with the dining plan I have and make it work! Next time I do think it would be better if I got the regular DDP though.

I am not trying to convince you to change, but the call is easy if you really want to upgrade to the regular plan.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter