• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

New Tombstone at Haunted Mansion

lrodk

<font color=009900>No one is immune to the TF's in
There have been a couple of rumors circulating lately regarding the Haunted Mansion at WDW. Screamscape reports that they've heard of a possible holiday make-over to tie-in with The Nightmare Before Xmas theme(ala Disneyland). The other is confirmed and pertains to a new animated tombstone that was placed at the entrance of the attraction. Below is a copy of their report, in addition to a link to that page, which includes pictures of the tombstone, for full details of the possible Nightmare re-do.

It seems that creativity at Disney has not been crushed, and a brand new tombstone has been placed in the graveyard at the entrance of the Haunted Mansion. It has been placed as the last tombstone you’ll see before you enter the mansion and it’s dedicated to Leota. Even better is that this tombstone is haunted and alive. We’ve got a pair of great photos below to show it off, but in general it sit quietly in the graveyard and about once a minute the face on the tombstone lifts slightly, the eyes silently open and it looks around back and forth for a moment and then goes back to sleep. This nice silent effect seems to be creeping out a few guests from the reports I read as one person in a group sees the effect and then by the time they get the attention of the group it’s over and they look like an idiot. “That tombstone looked at me!” Yeah right... keep the line moving.

http://www.screamscape.com/html/walt_disney_world.html

Saw the new tombstone for myself on Monday, President's Day.

It's a MUST see for all!!!

"Pix"
:D

The Leota tombstone she's " in regions beyond"...love it love it...is great...the eyes DO
open and look around...first time I saw it my heart fluttered...and I'm a grown up about such things, yeah right...its really really cool..just quietly doing its thing...great addition.
Also, my magical moments interactive pin beat like a heartbeat during the hitchhiking ghost scene...it was great!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

The tombstone is really cool!!!! The eyes open and the head shifts a little!!!

Also, look for the one official and one unofficial Hidden Mickey...

The CM at the entrance has a device in his hand to activate the Magical Moments Pins!!!

This was the change that I refused to go into detail about back in January. It turned out better than it looked on the computer mock-up they showed us!

BTW, There are two official Hidden Mickeys (the plates were approved and added to the list last November), and we DON'T have any way of controlling the Magical Moments pins. We have enough to deal with already. The activators are automatic and hidden throughout the parks.

I know I had just seen some photos of Leota a few days ago and can't find her!! Any help would be appreciated. When we go in June 2004, my Assistant Leader Leota will find this a scream!

I talked to a CM at the Mansion last Saturday and told her I heard a rumor that Jack Skellington might be joining their 999 Happy Haunts. She said that they had heard that, yes this is true, and the changeover should occur in October.

I'm sure Steve would be one of the first to know about the makeover. Considering the apparent success of the Disneyland holiday makeover to Nightmare Before Christmas, I think it is likely that it will eventually make its way to WDW.

Safari Steve,

I'm ok with the surpise, but I am worried, will the addition of 'nightmare', if it is to happen, will be a huge overhaul and would it be permanent ??

The Haunted Mansion Holiday, just like the Country Bears Chirstmas Special and Small World Holiday is designed as a temporary redecoration. In CA it went up at the beginning of October and came down in early January. I'm assuming that it takes a while to load in and strike, but that's a plus as far as general show quality is concerned, because standard deco has to be totally re-done afterwards.... of course I can neither confirm nor deny that it will take place... it's not polite to gossip.

Steve,

You are a gentleman and a scholar, thanks!! By the way how frequent do you post your schedule, and how far in advance do you know it. My wife and and I will be there May 3-6.

I'll be posting my schedule for the next two weeks tomorrow on the Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies board.

About those Magical Moments pins:

check out the "clickers" some of the CMs
do have - I saw them with my own eyes.
There are buttons they can press to get
4 different effects from the Magical
Moments pins. Can't tell you where they
are - because it's ALL magic!

The sensors are not well hidden - like
some of the Mickey's :)
but it does help when a friendly CM
points 'em out......

Heading back in 13 days - but who's counting?!
"Pix" :pinkbounc :pinkbounc :pinkbounc

If you're talking about the little white remote controls that CMs at Mansion, Buzz, and Spaceship Earth carry in the load/unload areas, you're mistaken. Those have nothing to do with the pins. They are for stopping the ride in case of an emergency.

They're about the size of a car's auto-lock/alarm
device. The CM showed us what each button does.

It sure would be fun to have one of those when
you're at home - dreaming of being at the World!
Maybe one day on EBay..... :D :D :D

"Pix" :pinkbounc

We don't have those at all in Adventureland or Liberty Square attractions.
Leota is fitting in wonderfully out front. We were all worried that she would slow/stop traffic into the house, but the effect has been minimal in that respect.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter