New Travel Trailer Considerations

lawnspecialties

DIS Veteran
OK, some of you know our story. The Puma got sold in March and we're house building. But wow, am I missin' camping. But the cool thing is the idea of getting a new one soon. It may be spring of '09 or later, but the search will be just as fun as planning a big trip to the Fort.

So I'm trying to keep in mind important stuff to consider. I'll list what I've thought of so far, so feel free to chime in with other ideas or correct me if what I'm thinkin' isn't as bright of an idea as I thought.

1. I really want to stay with a travel trailer over a 5th wheel. If we go 5th wheel, then we have to go toy hauler for the golf cart. That seems overkill but not absolutely out of the question.
2. I want at least two, if not three, slides. Finally, travel trailers are getting multiple slideouts these days. A 30'-33' bunkhouse model with three slideouts would be absolutely sweet. :thumbsup2
3. Our Puma was only around 7,000 lbs. but had to be one of the tallest travel trailers I've ever seen. It was like dragging a brick parachute down the highway. I want a more streamlined, lower unit for fuel economy.
4. Speaking of fuel economy, the newer lightweight aluminum models seem like a great idea. Is their only disadvantage a slightly higher price tag? Do they sway and rock too much on stormy nights at the Fort? It just seems like aerodynamics and lightweight would be more important than ever these days.

That's about all I can think of right now. Please, feel free to offer suggestions or help steer me away from bad decisions I may make. Plus, let me know what brands everyone's liked or disliked. I'm considering models like Cougars, Outbacks, Sunset Trails and Cruisers (Crossroads RVs). Similar models like these.

Thanks.:)

Hey, you can check out my board, Jess has quite a few listed with specs and some msrp's. http://www.rvusa.org/dev/forum/index.php

As far as the height, LOL when we looked, it was all about getting the tallest out there, I am 6'8". When you get into having slides, then they are usually a lot taller off the ground, not necessarily inside. TT without slides can be "between" the tires, but the slides have to be over the tires.

I bought a max lite...is pretty inside >>>> BUT..the "Wood"
cabinets and trim turned out to be fake,..as well as the panel on the door...I didn't know this and wasn't told that it could be easily damaged...I taped some ART of my DGD on the fridge...when I went to swap it out..the paper "wood" came off with the tape...I've found a few edges that have come loose, the sinks are plastic to save weight, no carpet,open floor plan...good floor design for me with an added bookshelf...look VERY carefully and ask lot of questions to make sure you get exactly what you want and they don't cut corners you would rather they not...Since I live in mine for work most of the year i needed a bit more durable than I feel like I got....now I have roof damage...it can happen...but I've had it 1.5 years and the roof inspected every 6 months so I'm not happy it has to go in for repairs!!! Make informed decisions is my best advice!!!

I have the Cougar 310 SRX which is a toy hauler (sort of). It has a garage in the back that can hold a big 4 wheeler, large Harley or a golf cart. I'm sure for the cart you'd have to be careful how wide the tires are. The door is around 50" wide.

When the garage is empty, there is a double bed that folds down and a single bunk above that. It sleeps 8 comfortably and will sleep 9 if you fold out the couch.

We went with a toy hauler TT. 35' long no slides ceiling is around 10' to 11' high.
We can haul 2 cart's inside of it and sleep 10 people. We love it it has 3 couches
a bar (with 2 stools) and a private master bedroom. We can't wait to take it to FW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter