New trips: lots of "coach time"

kristilew

DIS Veteran
Does anyone else think that there seems to be a lot of time in the motor coaches for the new trips? We were looking at the Rockies, Alaska, and the Alpine trip, and all lose an entire day to riding in the bus. Like 4.5 hours in the morning, lunch break, then back on the bus for the afternoon. Some follow that with a long bus ride the next morning!

Has anyone been on an adventure where there was that much travel time in the middle? How did it work out?

It just seems like to travel half way around the world for just 8 days of vacation, we wouldn't want to lose one of those days to a bus!:confused3

I thought the same thing..... we were really interested in Alaska but disappointed when the itinerary came out. Maybe my expectations were too high :confused3 . There are several other family tours by other operators that look a lot better and similar prices for Alaska so guess I'll research there. Galapagos looks decent but 3 of the 9 nights are in Otalavo and 2 in Quito - so you're spending a lot of money to get just a few days/night around the Islands.

Back to research......

Yes, we were disappointed in both the Alaska and the Rockies inten.

Miniature golf? Twice? There must be NOTHING else to do in the Rockies!

Yes, we were disappointed in both the Alaska and the Rockies inten.

Miniature golf? Twice? There must be NOTHING else to do in the Rockies!
Oh, good. I'm glad it's not just me. I was fully expecting to be ready to book either of those trips, and find myself just sort of "meh" on them. Same with the Yosemite trip. May need to wait a year or two until they refine the itinerary...

Sayhello

Important to remember that Alaska is HUGE in a way its hard for us to remember since our elementry school maps make it look like Montana. You can fly from Fairbanks to Anchorage, but then you're going to miss what it is that makes Alaska spectactular.

Same with the Rockies....these are cases where it really is the journey, not the destination!

Important to remember that Alaska is HUGE in a way its hard for us to remember since our elementry school maps make it look like Montana. You can fly from Fairbanks to Anchorage, but then you're going to miss what it is that makes Alaska spectactular.

Same with the Rockies....these are cases where it really is the journey, not the destination!
Absolutely true! But considering how much these trips cost, that's a lot of money for a coach ride. It's the activities and touches that Disney adds that makes the cost worthwhile. I'm not seeing that on these itineraries. I'm going to need to step away & come back to it later...

Sayhello

Sayhello,

That's EXACTLY what we just decided. DH is working from home today specifically so we could get excited and book. Instead, after a lot of "eh" we've decided to back off. Last year, it was such an easy decision. But this feels like a lot of artificial pressure to decide between not so great choices.

Of course, DH works in Europe, so we are not as interested in those. Maybe we would feel differently if we were dying to go to London. The ones we were excited about, though, are kind of disappointing....

K

I too was fully prepared to book SOMETHING today - the thumbnails of several trips interested us so I expected a difficult decision on which one to go for. Even had my TA friend primed to go. But the 'meh' factor kicked in big time so I'm looking more closely at other tour operators.

I do hear consistently good things about Southwest Splendors and with that price point, it almost looks like a "value" (at least in Disney terms ;) ). Maybe do that one next summer and hope there are changes to a few itineraries in the future.....

I too was fully prepared to book SOMETHING today - the thumbnails of several trips interested us so I expected a difficult decision on which one to go for. Even had my TA friend primed to go. But the 'meh' factor kicked in big time so I'm looking more closely at other tour operators.

I do hear consistently good things about Southwest Splendors and with that price point, it almost looks like a "value" (at least in Disney terms ;) ). Maybe do that one next summer and hope there are changes to a few itineraries in the future.....
I highly recommend the Southwest Splendors trip. The itinerary, in my opinion, is one of the best ABD has. I think it spoiled me.

Sayhello

I highly recommend the Southwest Splendors trip. The itinerary, in my opinion, is one of the best ABD has. I think it spoiled me.
Thanks for that feedback - it jives with everything else I've heard. My biggest concern is doing the desert southwest in late June / July - does the heat limit your activity at all (keep in mind I'm a middle aged woman in just Ok shape :rolleyes1 )??

When I initially looked at the itinerary for the Canadian Rockies I also thought eh. But I later went back and went through it more carefully. There really are a lot of activities packed into the trip

*Sail across the pristine waters of Swiftcurrent Lake
*Whitewater Rafting on Flathead River
*Ride a vintage, open-top bus up the breathtaking Going-to-the-Sun Road
*Bike along the swirling waters of the Bow River
*Climb into your enclosed gondola for a ride up to the 7,500-foot summit of Sulphur Mountain. Then relax in Banff's celebrated Upper Thermal Hot Springs for a relaxing soak in a swimming pool surrounded by fir forests and towering mountain peaks.
*Enjoy a privately guided trail hike through the most dramatic alpine setting in the Canadian Rockies
*Glide across aqua waters as you canoe through the Valley of Ten Peaks—a Canadian icon
*Saddle up for a one-hour trail ride past rushing waters and wonderous woods, as you head along Sundance Canyon Trail.

Yes there is some free time, but your family can do whatever they like during that time. I'm sure the guides will have many suggestions. You certainly don't have to play mini golf. If you look at other tour operators itineraries you will notice that there is some free time.

There is always motor coach time on tours as well. Many times the areas you are visiting are not near each other. For example, yes Southwest Splendors is a fantastic trip which I took last year. Everybody raves about this trip and it has a very long day of motor coach travel from the Grand Canyon to Utah. There is 3 hours of travel in the moring and another 3 hours that same afternoon. During these times your guides may play a Disney movie and of course you will have many new friends to chat with.

Thanks for that feedback - it jives with everything else I've heard. My biggest concern is doing the desert southwest in late June / July - does the heat limit your activity at all (keep in mind I'm a middle aged woman in just Ok shape :rolleyes1 )??
Well, I went in May, so I can't really speak to the late June/July thing. Certainly would be better than August! I was fine in May, although it was the *dryness* more than anything else that was the issue at that time (also Middle-aged, in fair-to-decent shape)

Have you read my trip report? LOTS o' pictures & details.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1870357

Sayhello

We were very interested in the Rockies trip - and I was planning to book this morning as well, but have backed off since reviewing the itineraries - and more importantly - the prices. I have a 6yr old who would have to sit out the Whitewater portion (although another "float trip" was mentioned), and the bus time was a bit of a concern.

I am not surprised that the cost has gone up (given the economy & weak USD), but we will likely have to wait another year before booking trip #2.

I am very glad we booked our Knights and Lights trip last year at this time (for Christmas 2008) - I don't think we could afford it with the new prices!

We were so excited about the New York / Boston trip. Then I got online to look at it this morning and became singularly unexcited. Lots of looking at other people's houses and only 3 days in New York. Certainly there's more to do there than just seeing Ellis Island? And we saw Mary Poppins on West End with the Knights and Lights trip. Aren't there other return ABD'ers too?

Anyway, maybe we won't ABD next summer after all, or maybe we'll do the Germany trip like we originally planned.

Sigh, it's too bad.

Julie

It is disappointing to see the cost of the Boston-New York trip. We were all over the thought of seeing the cities but the cost is over the top. And why Mary Poppins over Lion King? :confused3 Backstage Magic was great this year and at least that price stayed close. And am I missing something or have they done away with value, regular and peak pricing?

am I missing something or have they done away with value, regular and peak pricing?

In a way they have, the prices you see are "lead" in prices
The prices can vary from the min to max price shown

It will basically work like cruise lines tier pricing, as the tours fill up the prices will increase

Here is what it says on ABD's rules and regulations for prices

Your land package pricing, which will be confirmed once we receive your USD$300 per person deposit, is guaranteed at the time of booking for your party. Government fees or taxes are subject to change. Guests added to your party after the booking are priced at the prevailing rate at the time they are added

Thanks I see how it varies now. I just like to see things spelled out in black and white. $$$$ if you reserve by this date. I believe everyone likes to know what they are paying on a given date. I'd also like to know how much time one has to make decisions on reservations in order to get the price they can afford but they don't make that clear. It would seem they make people very nervous about missing out on low prices so they hurry to make their reservations. It's the supply and demand game, if we don't tell you how many low prices are available you'll hurry and make those reservations. Oh and don't make them without really wanting to go because I understand it's hard to back out.

It will basically work like cruise lines tier pricing, as the tours fill up the prices will increase
That's a really good explanation, but I wonder if behind the scenes there isn't uncertainty about costs next year, in particular about what the dollar might do and of course fuel costs.

Whether we know it or not, booking early is like hedging our current and fuel price risk!

That's a really good explanation, but I wonder if behind the scenes there isn't uncertainty about costs next year, in particular about what the dollar might do and of course fuel costs.

Whether we know it or not, booking early is like hedging our current and fuel price risk!

That is part of it. I also think that with the "season" prices they had people tended to go with the value or regular season, when they could. Having the same "lead" in price for all the dates will let ABD know which dates are popular just because of the date and not the price structure. As the dates fill up and the prices increase then people will go back to choosing by price vs dates when they can

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter