new Zagat ratings

starbox

"There is more treasure in books than in all the p
I don't know how new this info is, but I just got the new Zagat WDW guide in the mail. It's interesting how evenly the resorts stacked up. For rooms, service, and facilities, there's only a 1-2 point difference between most of the resorts.

Resort / Rooms /Service / Dining / Facilities
VWL 24 22 22 25
BCV 24 22 20 25
BWV 24 23 21 24
OKW 24 22 17 21
SSR 25 22 16 23

Deluxes for Comparison:

CR 21 22 23 21
POLY 21 25 21 24
GF 24 25 24 26
AKL 23 24 23 27

Zagat Ratings
0-9 Poor to Fair
10-15 Fair to Good
16-19 Good to Very Good
20-25 Very Good to Excellent
26-30 Extraordinary to Perfection

In the "tops" for Hotels at WDW (they rank some offsite as well)
Top Rooms --- SSR
4 way tie for second -- Boardwalk Inn; OKW; Yacht Club; VWL

Top Service -- Grand Floridian
4 way tie for second -- Wilderness Lodge; AKL; Yacht Club; Poly

Top Dining -- Grand Floridian
Tied for 2nd -- AKL and Contemp
Tied for 3rd -- Wilderness Lodge and VWL (odd -- probably don't realize same restaurants)

Top Facilities -- AKL
4 way tie for second -- GF; Boardwalk Inn; Yacht Club; Beach Club

This is a neat little book -- not a lot of info for first timers but a concise guide to have -- covers hotels; restaurants; attractions; nightlife; golf; shopping and the Cruise Line

Zagat Ratings
Top Service -- Grand Floridian

The only time my wife and I stayed at Grand Floridian was before we had kids. We had a "bad plane day" and arrived late at night, after midnight. Those were more carefree days, and we had only roller carry-ons for luggage. The town car dropped us off in front of grand floridian and we asked the man at the bell desk about checking in. He pointed and said right in there. So we pulled our roll-aboards in and checked in and then pulled them to our room. It wasn't a big deal and was certainly something we could easily manage, but it was the only time I've ever been to a wdw resort where they didn't offer to take the bags to the room.

Did you notice how the ratings are heavily skewed towards DVC? I haven't seen the book yet, but I've read several reviews. They polled people they found through several sites on the internet. The average number of visits to WDW for those polled was something like 35 or 36. Fifty-eight percent of them are annual passholders. These are hardcore Disney fans, more likely to be DVC owners. Animal Kingdom Lodge was listed as the "Most Popular" resort. I happen to agree with that, but we all know that the occupancy rates don't bear that out. If they wanted a more balanced and representative sample, I think they should have mixed it up a bit.

It wasn't a big deal and was certainly something we could easily manage, but it was the only time I've ever been to a wdw resort where they didn't offer to take the bags to the room.

I'd believe it. I think the Grand Floridian is way over-rated.

I participated in this survey. If you want to participate in any of their surveys you can do so online.

Zagat. Click on Vote.

The survey was quite fun to do and I received a free copy of the guide for doing it. It's neat to see some of your direct quotes make their way into the guide.

One neat thing (IMHO) about the guide is it rates just about everything in the parks. Including things not rated in most guides. They even rate the Legacy Tiles at the entrance of EPCOT Center. Pretty cool.

I'd believe it. I think the Grand Floridian is way over-rated.

Never been there, but something tells me I don't belong there.

And as long as I am capable of toting my own luggage, I happily will.

For me it's all part of the experience. It's part of my purpose. My manliness...

I'm wondering what they mean by "rooms"?? My one bedroom at OKW has simply got to rank higher than a "room" at the GF. I have a washer/dryer, full kitchen, whirlpool tub..and "room".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter