Newbie--Help Please!

can

Earning My Ears
Hi to All!

I am new to the boards and would like to ask a few questions about renting/trading. We are not DVC owners, are we still able to rent points from an owner? If replying to a post, should we always expect an answer one way or the other; or assume if there is no response, there are no points available?
Also, for certain times of the year such as Thanksgiving, Christmas, or even Easter, what is the appropriate time to make a request? Do these times book a year to two years in advance? Is it unreasonable to look for a possibility of using a DVC for this Thanksgiving? One last big question, (and I am not trying to offend anyone in anyway) how do you know if someone is "reliable" and really is a DVC owner with points to rent? Can I tell by the number of posts the individual has? Am I being unreasonable or offensive by asking for a reference?

I appreciate any help I can get in response to my above questions. I have always found Disney community boards so helpful in planning our Disney trips. I just want to be sure I am doing the things the right way in accordance with the rules set up.

Thanks again--our thoughts and prayers are with those along the Gulf Coast and their safety with Hurricane Dennis.

can said:
Hi to All!

I am new to the boards and would like to ask a few questions about renting/trading.
Welcome to the boards.
can said:
We are not DVC owners, are we still able to rent points from an owner?
Yes. An owner can make a reservation for you. You do not have to be DVC member to rent points. Actually, points have no value to a non-owner. What you are really renting is the reservation.
can said:
If replying to a post, should we always expect an answer one way or the other; or assume if there is no response, there are no points available?
IMHO, you should expect an answer either way, but I suppose I shouldn't be surprised if someone fails to do so (It's just courtesy, IMHO). It is possible that availability is a problem. If all the rooms you are interested in renting are booked, it doesn't matter if the owner has points to rent.
can said:
Also, for certain times of the year such as Thanksgiving, Christmas, or even Easter, what is the appropriate time to make a request? Do these times book a year to two years in advance?
Owners can make reservations at their home resorts 11 month ahead of check out. If you have a strong preference for a particular resort, it is a good idea to find someone who will reserve for you as soon as the reservation windo opens.For the times you mention, I'd start looking about 1 year in advance.
can said:
Is it unreasonable to look for a possibility of using a DVC for this Thanksgiving?
I don't know that it is unreasonable, but it is uhnlikely you will be able to get into a DVC resort on points for this Thganksgiving. Doesn't hurt to try - there might be something at SSR.

can said:
One last big question, (and I am not trying to offend anyone in anyway) how do you know if someone is "reliable" and really is a DVC owner with points to rent? Can I tell by the number of posts the individual has? Am I being unreasonable or offensive by asking for a reference?
I think you are smart! I think it is reasonable to ask for references. It doesn't hurt to read some of the owners' posts and I would expect to exchange names and phone numbers. It also helps to have a written agreement to ensure both parties understand the terms. Be very sure you understand the owner's cancellation policy. Most consider renting a final transaction - no refunds, although most will allow rescheduling if possible.

can said:
I appreciate any help I can get in response to my above questions. I have always found Disney community boards so helpful in planning our Disney trips. I just want to be sure I am doing the things the right way in accordance with the rules set up.

Thanks again--our thoughts and prayers are with those along the Gulf Coast and their safety with Hurricane Dennis.
Again welcome ot the boards and ditto on those impacted by Dennis.

Best wishes -

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter