Newbie Needing Help!

GlasgowBelle

Earning My Ears
Hello everyone! Well after 10 years we are back to Orlando next year for our first Adult Couple only trip, as our son is now in his 20's but can't get time off to join us.

So much has changed in 10 years - I have tried to start the research but my brain is reeling! Have ordered the Unofficial guide which will get here in a couple of weeks but can anyone point me in the direction of somewhere that can tell me exactly what I need to do before April and when I need to do it?

Not a package, we are flying with BA, staying at the Beach Club. No car, so not sure what the options are to get to the Hotel? We are staying at the Beach Club for 10 days with the 14 days Park tickets and $1000 dining credit. The move (taxi?) to the Hard Rock Hotel for 6 days.

I need to get up to speed with all the abbreviations and jargon! I do understand that this will be expensive, so have budgeted. Obviously money is important but I really want to make sure we do this right and don't make any stupid mistakes. The first time we went in 2005 ($2 to the £) we did a Virgin package, had no reservations and just winged it for a fortnight - don't think that's going to work this time!

Any help or advice you lovely people can give us will be greatly appreciated.

So exciting that you're headed back to Disney!

First thing you should make sure you have done is make park reservations - you need park tickets AND park reservations to get into a park. Make a park reservation for each day you plan to visit the parks - if you have park hopping ability, you can do that starting at 2pm.

To get to the Beach Club from the airport, I would recommend Mears Connect or The Sunshine Flyer - these are two bus services similar to the Magical Express used to be. No longer free, but very affordable. Where you might struggle is getting back to the airport once you move to the Hard Rock Hotel, as these bus services do not service that hotel. If you want to use the same service both ways, you may want to look into hiring a car service, or using Uber for one or both of the airport travel days.

Dining reservations can be made 60 days out (not 180 like in the past).

No more Fastpass+ - do your research on Genie+ and Individual Lightning Lane selections. These are an additional charge. There's plenty of great threads on here about it!

Hope this helps a bit - like I said, there's tons of great info on the boards here!

If you are staying 10 days at Beach Club I'm guessing you're not slumming it and the budget is significant. :cool1:
So
No car, so not sure what the options are to get to the Hotel?
As EG says, there are the two coach services, but they are multidrop and you might also have to wait a while to leave the airport. I'd just use Lyft or Uber. There are cabs too but they are a lot more expensive than the ride-shares.
For Disney to Hard Rock and then to the airport Lyft or Uber.

I'm doing a similar thing this October but Pop Century and Aventura. I'm debating over bus or Lyft from the airport, but it'll definitely be Lyft for the other two as they are more time-critical for me.

Edit. Just had a look at Lyft and they estimate $35-42 for MCO to DBC, though actual prices will depend on time of day a bit too. Trip time about 35 mins. You can get posher vehicles for more (or get a lucky upgrade as I did in CA in 2019).
One way for Sunshine Flyer or Mears is $16 each (ie. $32 for a couple), so Lyft isn't a lot more expensive, though you might tip Lyft more than SF/Mears drivers.

Last edited:
We did a Mears Taxi (rather than Mears connect) for 5 of us as worked out fairly reasonable ($250 for return journey)

Many thanks for all the helpful replies - lots of reading to do now, but as I understand it no actual bookings to be made until 60 days out (so the end of Feb).

Uber or Lyft are everywhere in Orlando. Your phone will get you anywhere at any time of day. I would always take Uber/Lyft over the bus service, which was a nightmare for me in 2021.

Dining is 60 days + reservation. and you will need it. Stuff is gone at 60 +7.

I thought the Character Warehouse at the outlet mall was fun for souvenirs. Maybe not worth in the time before Uber/Lyft, but easy now.

The other change is grocery delivery now. If you are staying DVC, you should look into that one for such a long trip.

So do Parks really get booked out that far in advance?
Probably not - but its better to have something booked for every park day as soon as possible, and then move things around once you solidify your plans. Too many horror stories of people buying tickets but not being able to get into the park because they don't have a reservation!

They also tie in with your 60 day out dining reservations as it's recommended to make those for your reserved park (for restaurants in parks, California Grill is outside). Having a dining reservation does not guarantee park entry.

It's a bit of a pain really. Lunch is ok, but for a dinner reservation you either have to stay in that park all day, or hop back in the evening. Or take a chance you'll be able to get into an unreserved park. (MK seems most often fully booked but I suspect Epcot rarely is, so some chances are different.)

I went in the last two weeks of August this year. Epcot and AK were always available, but MK and DHS were not (I booked far in advance but kept an eye on availability). This is rarely to do with park capacity which usually only gets maxed out on big holidays. But I think Disney do adjust staff to demand and stop bookings at a certain point - they may well increase these as time goes on as I found availability did fluctuate. But I agree plan early.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter